Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: The Gambit Of The Tangled Souls

• Start Topic

FOREVER YOUNG – While Nancy (Kennedy McMann) and her friends race to find the relic that could finally untangle George’s (Leah Lewis) soul from Odette Lamar’s, Carson (Scott Wolf) and Ryan (Riley Smith) are affected by a mystical substance that prompts a temporary return to the lowered inhibitions of adolescence. Also starring Maddison Jaizani, Tunji Kasim, and Alex Saxon. Larry Teng directed the episode written by Jen Vestuto and Melissa Marlette. 

Original Airdate: Friday, November 19, 2021. 

NCD307b_0009r.jpg
NCD307a_0111r.jpg
NCD307a_0184r.jpg
NCD307b_0188r.jpg

Well, it was definitely as hilarious as I hoped it was going to be, but it ended up actually being kind of sad too...

Obviously had a blast with Carson and Ryan hopped up on "adolescence serum" and getting to relive their childhood featuring everything from wearing old, ridiculous outfits (because suits suck, y'all!), doing donuts in the parking lot, snacking on unhealthy food, and making a fool of yourself while trying to talk to your crush.  Scott Wolf and Riley Smith were clearly having the time of their lives in all of those scenes.  But despite the entertainment, I liked that it ended up helping both of them in some ways too.  Instead of just "forgetting" it happened, Carson finally tells Jean/D.A. Rosario that he likes her (you know, in a romantic way!), and she seems to feel the same way (and, as usual, I'm all for reasons to keep Erica Cerra around!)  Meanwhile, Ryan decides to keep the guitar that he impulsively bought because that was something that always interested him as a child, but never could pursue due to his family.  Nancy's Two Dads are coming into their own now, baby!

Also got a kick out of how Nancy basically had to go into strict mother mode with them and was actually quite good at it.  And then poor Ace had to get dragged along and barely keep his head above water with those two!  Loved that it ended with him randomly apologizing to his mother over the phone about all the times he acted up during his childhood, because he can now relate to her!

But damn, they still found a way to bring in some waterworks here.  The Drew Crew was successful with using the soul splitter to save George at least, so she is no longer going to just die in ten years (hopefully.)  But the only way to do it was to destroy Odette's soul (in gem form) for good, which means it was time for Bess to really accept that what they had is over.  Definitely selfish of her to consider running away and finding a new host for her, but I won't hold it against her too much, since she came back around on her own terms and knew what she had to do.  But at least it means she might actually have a serious go at a relationship with Addy now.  Still felt for her in all of the scenes.  While the entire cast has been firing on all cylinders as always, Maddison Jaizani has really been a standout for these initial episodes so far this season.

Still concerned over George not looping Nick in so he wouldn't get his hopes up since this is another case of keeping secrets from him, but it looks like they're might more pressing matters due to his sudden disappearance.  Ace said that his truck was gone as well, so I wonder if it's more than just a kidnapping situation, but had to leave on his own accord and left his phone behind for whatever reason.  Curious to see what that will all be about!

Great episode!

• Love 8

Another great episode. I loved how Nancy was lowkey interested in Ace and Amanda breaking up, as well as how anxious she was when Carson was making a fool of himself at Jean's house. She was less scared of literal demons!

At least some good came of it, since Ryan picked up a new hobby he always wanted to try and Carson and Jean started dating.

This episode was also a bit of a Nace primer to me, since the way is clear for them now. Hope the show doesn't keep us waiting too long.

3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Obviously had a blast with Carson and Ryan hopped up on "adolescence serum" and getting to relive their childhood featuring everything from wearing old, ridiculous outfits

Fun fact, the clothes Riley and Scott were wearing were homages to Motocrossed and Party of Five, which they starred in around 20 or so years ago.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I did not sniffle when Bess said goodbye to Odette and asked Odette for a sign. I didn't. I know what you are all thinking but I certainly wouldn't sniffle about that especially given that, you know, Bess fell for someone who was possessing the body of her friend and said someone did not always have the highest ethical standards so of COURSE I didn't sniffle.

As far as the rest of the episode goes:

1. The My Two Dads stuff continues to be the highlight of this season, even when the two of them aren't under some sort of youth curse:

Carson, grimly: How much do I want to know about what's going on?

Nancy: So, here's a very questionable description strongly suggesting that I did a number of unwise things and am about to do more.

Ryan: Hey, it's all good. We're here to help.

Carson: [stares]

2. That said, also kinda awesome that the youth curse allowed Carson to finally ask Jean out and Ryan to finally start catching up on the guitar.

3. Nick left without saying goodbye to anyone? I know that the script/camera was trying to suggest that Nick just needed his own walkabout, but I'm kinda hoping that there's more to this than just Nick needing to discover himself, because otherwise that seems kinda mean not just to George, but to George's sisters. Maybe something in that lock ate his soul. Temporarily, at least.

4. That said, the bit where Nick attempted to summarize his plot line since the start of the show? I know I wasn't supposed to laugh, but I laughed. While remaining impressed that Tunji Kasim managed to get through that monologue with a straight face.

5. And I'm now wondering if the season will end with Nick heading off to college, as George figures out what she's going to do with her life. I vaguely remember one of the producers mentioning a possible time skip so they wouldn't have to film people wearing masks - so having this season end in, say, January/February 2020 with everyone heading off to college or backpacking in Europe and then getting back together in June 2022 might work. Not saying they will do this, either, since they obviously aren't following reality all that closely, but there does seem to be a theme this season of "what are you going to do with your life?"

6. Nancy, you are supposed to be a great detective. How did George find out about the Ace/Amanda breakup before you did? 

7. Ace, saying he spoke the teenage language, and later apologizing to his mother via voice mail for all his little misdemeanors. Hee.

8. Really loving the three way friendship/support system between Nancy, Bess, and George, which allows for some things to remain unsaid, but also allows for group hugs.

9. And the way the show keeps bringing on the comedy.

Two weeks until the next episode, hmm? Good thing I'll have a lot of pumpkin and apple pie to fill the gap.

• Love 10

Yet another strong episode, I think mostly because Bess, George, and Nancy got to hang out again and it was really nice. Even if it was centered around a ritual to separate George's soul from Odette's. And even if part of it was Bess considering running away with Odette's soul to put her in a new body. 

Bess and Nancy haven't had a real plot together in what feels like a while, so it was nice to see them really interacting again. Nancy apologizing for not taking Bess' feelings for Odette seriously enough was a nice moment, and Bess also recognizing that she has to let Odette go to save George.

Plus, at least George has her body back, and she doesn't have a set life span. I mean, at the very least, she doesn't know when exactly she's gonna die and she has a chance to live a very long and happy life. I didn't love that she refused to fill Nick in yet again. Her and Nick already talked about keeping things, specifically her keeping things from him, and then she did it again here. Good intentions or not, she still withheld something very important from him.

But it looks like Nick either took off to do his own walkabout, or something supernatural happened. With this show, it definitely could be both.

Carson and Ryan turning into teens was fun. I love the references to both actors' big breaks. And they looked like they were having a blast. I definitely got second hand embarrassment from Carson going to confess his feelings for the DA, but it was still overall fun, especially since Carson doesn't often get involved in the supernatural antics. 

And Nancy/Ace having to be the responsible parents? Hilarious. And I love that Ace took a lesson out of this and apologized to his mother for his own teenage antics.

• Love 7

Another great episode, Carson and Ryan as teenagers was as hilarious as I hoped it would be, and it actually ended up doing them some good. Carson finally confessed his feelings to the DA (who reciprocates) and Ryan is taking up the guitar, as it was something he always wanted to do as a teenager but his awful family wouldn't let him. Ryan and Carson really are the comedy double act that I never knew I needed, every scene between them is absolute gold, as teens or as their regular selves. Poor Nancy and Ace being stuck on parent duty was hilarious as well, Nancy is such a mom friend already that she fell into having to parent her two dads surprisingly well and Ace luckily speaks the language of teenagers. Then he called his mom to apologize for his own teenage hijinks! You can tell how much fun Scott Wolf and Riley Smith were having, especially the references to their past careers when they were younger, especially as Carson doesn't usually get sucked into the supernatural hijinks that much.

Oh yeah, Nancy was trying not to be look interested when she heard that Ace and Amanda broke up, sure girl you just care as a supportive friend. Then Ace agreeing with Ryan about how being around Nancy makes you want to be a better person, that slow burn is just burning on. 

Its been awhile since Nancy/Bess/George had a story together so it was great seeing the three girls all working as a team, even if George was unconscious for a lot of the time. I am glad that Odette is finally out of George, hopefully at peace, and that George will have her full life again, even if its pretty bittersweet for Bess. Her trying to find another host for Odette is selfish but understandable, I am glad that now she can finally move on, her relationship with a few hundred year old ghost sharing a body with one of he friends was never going to work even under the best of circumstances. It also looks like everyone still needs to work on their communication skills, especially George telling Nick what she's up to, I am sure that he would have wanted to know that this was happening.

Nick really has been through it, especially since he came to Horseshow Bay. Even with his truck gone I cant imagine he would just leave without telling everyone what he was doing, something else has to be going on. 

• Love 6
On 11/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, Diapason Untuned said:

Fun fact, the clothes Riley and Scott were wearing were homages to Motocrossed and Party of Five, which they starred in around 20 or so years ago.

I guess I am old, because I immediately recognized that the jacket Scott Wolf had on looked like his wardrobe from Party of Five. He looks like he barely aged.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2021 at 8:56 PM, quarks said:

Two weeks until the next episode, hmm? Good thing I'll have a lot of pumpkin and apple pie to fill the gap.

Send me some apple...I only got pumpkin this year. 

The nostalgia that hit when Scott Wolf put on the letterman jacket and Riley Smith started talking about dirt bikes...thanks for that, show. 

I loved seeing the girls hug at the end. Felt more like a book version of the characters for once. 

Nick, if you chose to go on a walkabout without telling your fiancée and coworkers/partners in crime-fighting when you know supernatural entities are all over the damn place, I am going to be pissed, so you better be in mortal peril.