Type keyword(s) to search

Companion Animation: Origin Stories

• Start Topic

For discussion of the ancillary animated featurettes being released with each episode.

The first one is The Breaking of The World. Discuss away, but please stick to the information presented in the origin story rather than bringing in additional information from the books. Thanks!

I just got around to watching these, and I absolutely love them. Okay, they're just little videos but they do a lot to deepen the lore of the show.

I love that they're using the quotes that open and close the books to give them a sense of grandeur, the animation style is cool.

The first one, though - I always thought Lews Therin killed his family with the One Power. Lashing out at them all in some terrible way. Have I been mistaken for fifteen years? Is this just a different interpretation of deaths that weren't examined in the books?

The second one? I just wish that the 'Aemon's field' to Emond's Field connection had been kept. I loved that as an example of Robert Jordan's fascination with history and remembrance being lose to the mists of time.

49 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I just got around to watching these, and I absolutely love them. Okay, they're just little videos but they do a lot to deepen the lore of the show.

I love that they're using the quotes that open and close the books to give them a sense of grandeur, the animation style is cool.

The first one, though - I always thought Lews Therin killed his family with the One Power. Lashing out at them all in some terrible way. Have I been mistaken for fifteen years? Is this just a different interpretation of deaths that weren't examined in the books?

The second one? I just wish that the 'Aemon's field' to Emond's Field connection had been kept. I loved that as an example of Robert Jordan's fascination with history and remembrance being lose to the mists of time.

It was the same for Carhienen which was Al'cair'rahienallen

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

The first one, though - I always thought Lews Therin killed his family with the One Power.

Lews killed his family, and then Ish met him downstairs and healed him long enough to realized what he did. He essentially burned himself out with the power and that's how Dragonmount was made. 

I couldn't hear anything in the Warder episode though. The background music was too loud. 

I do like the animation. It's kind of like a painting. 

I only watched the first one so far, but it is nicely done.  I like the animation and the way it goes into some backstory.  Still don't understand why we didn't get a live action Lews prologue, I think the would have been a high impact hook.  But these are still nice.

40 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Lews killed his family, and then Ish met him downstairs and healed him long enough to realized what he did. He essentially burned himself out with the power and that's how Dragonmount was made. 

Yes.  Lews killed everyone in his palace because he and rest of the 100 companions were rendered instantly insane by what was basically high octane Saidin taint directed at them specifically.  They all went and committed atrocities with Lews being the worst.  I always figured he got it the worse because he was the most powerful of he male Aes Sedai at the time.

42 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I only watched the first one so far, but it is nicely done.  I like the animation and the way it goes into some backstory.  Still don't understand why we didn't get a live action Lews prologue, I think the would have been a high impact hook.  But these are still nice.

Yes.  Lews killed everyone in his palace because he and rest of the 100 companions were rendered instantly insane by what was basically high octane Saidin taint directed at them specifically.  They all went and committed atrocities with Lews being the worst.  I always figured he got it the worse because he was the most powerful of he male Aes Sedai at the time.

That and a flashback to before the Breaking are coming later on

And they did not want to give too much away at the start

It seems with the one power they were able to achive some impressive stuff. But we also saw that they were still riding around on horses. So not quite steampunk yet.

When episode 4 explained how men and women tapped into a different side of the power and only the male side was corrupted, I thought, wouldn't it be interesting if some men could tap into the female side and thus use it without going mad? Just because they are more in touch with their female side or some men even being trans? But I kinda doubt the authors will go there... sadge.

Edited by Zonk