Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: A Place of Safety

Message added by Black Knight,

At long last, the premiere has arrived! The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.

Book talk is strictly verboten in all episode threads. Take it over to the Book to Show thread, please, or otherwise fall under the Shadow.

• Start Topic

On 11/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, Jack Shaftoe said:

The dialogue in this episode was often so bad it brought back memories of the atrocious dialogue of the recent Foundation adaptation. Mat and Rand's misadventures felt more like a parody than a dangerous adventure. The rest of the characters did very little, Moiraine got stupidly lucky that her enemies decided to give her a break for an episode and she randomly came across other Aes Sedai. Nynaeve killing a trolloc with his sword and apparently not even getting a scratch in the process was a bit too much. I had hopes after episode two (pilots are often really clunky) but they took quite a hit.

Yep, that’s what I’m getting from the show, bad dialogue (and acting) and parodies. I gave it the full 3 episodes that were up, but won’t bother with the rest. 

On 11/23/2021 at 11:21 PM, staphdude said:

Really I am not looking to spoil anything for people. I just assumed the majority of the audience would have at least a passing familiarity with these relatively old books ( which makes me really old ). Happy people are in for the ride and I will restrict my bitching about changes to the book thread!

The last book isn't even a decade old. You are acting like it's the Lord of the Rings or something.

And while I had heard the name "the wheel of time" before it's not as much in the pop culture that I had heard anything else about it. From the name I assumed it was scifi.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Zonk said:

The last book isn't even a decade old. You are acting like it's the Lord of the Rings or something.

And while I had heard the name "the wheel of time" before it's not as much in the pop culture that I had heard anything else about it. From the name I assumed it was scifi.

So 90 million sales in not in the pop culture

25 minutes ago, Humbugged said:

So 90 million sales in not in the pop culture

Obviously not. If you ask the average person on the street they won't be able to tell you anything about plot, setting, characters, or even genre.

Also 90 million is the whole series, not every book. So if we do some crude math, that's about 6,5 million people who've read the series (and that's generous math, since for example in germany the series is split into 37 books). There are 8 billion people on this planet...

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Zonk said:

Obviously not. If you ask the average person on the street they won't be able to tell you anything about plot, setting, characters, or even genre.

Also 90 million is the whole series, not every book. So if we do some crude math, that's about 6,5 million people who've read the series (and that's generous math, since for example in germany the series is split into 37 books). There are 8 billion people on this planet...

and when GOT  was on it then sold twice as many books from 40 m to 90 m for 4 books  if this show goes the same way we are talking about 250m

On 11/20/2021 at 5:50 PM, Quark said:

I'm enjoying this show so far. The best thing is easily the scenery; it's absolutely beautiful.

The acting by the young people is pretty mediocre so far.

I agree. The scenery is stunning. It’s a character unto itself and really does help set the mood of the series.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:16 AM, Zonk said:

Is it going to turn out, that they are all the dragon together?

I could be wrong, because I’ve never read the books. But I just assumed they all are. It seemed to be heavily implied as such by Moraine’s speech about the dragon in the first episode. 

I just started watching. I’m on this episode. I’m enjoying it thus far.  Love Nynaeve. So bad ass. Though I too thought she should’ve had at least a scratch or two after dealing with the Troll. I knew she’d been carried off by the Troll and not killed. I guess Egwene could not clearly see what happened due to the darkness. And why did the Troll carry Nynaeve off and not kill her? Was there a reason for this or just purely plot to explain why she was still alive. And I too wonder how she was able to track them to the abandoned city without getting caught and killed herself? Will this turn out to be a storyline with some depth or a plot whole? Like others the spark between her and Lan is interesting. 

• Love 3
On 11/21/2021 at 8:14 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Moraine said explicitly that there were other crossings to the river and so Our Heroes were not yet safe from the Trollocs. Also, Nynaeve could have swam across the river, taken a boat or done a number of other things at the crossing Our Heroes used. (She would have had to find/steal a horse once on the other side).

I didn't think Nynaeve's tracking ability was all that special, she escaped shortly after she was captured and the party spent the night in town before leaving the next morning.  Nynaeve had plenty of time to get a horse and pack her belongings (she had her medical supplies) and leave at roughly the same time as the rest. Since she wasn't injured, she probably could follow relatively easily and she probably knows how to make the fantasy equivalent of "Monster Energy" drinks. 

That was a wonderful performance by "Wren" from "The Outpost" going from a tavern owner's girlfriend to Dana the tavern owner. By the end, I was almost expecting her to reveal herself as some sort of magical creature that assumed the appearance of a human. Too bad her time on the show is over, you need that kind of energy to really sell the fantastical aspects of the show.

It was good to see Nynaeve and Lan share the screen together since they are my favorite "living" characters at the moment (although Dana put them to shame), Rand really moved up a lot with this episode.

• Love 1
On 11/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, quarks said:

And, Mat? I don't mean to sound critical, but this whole "I gotta get back to my sisters" - uh, you agreed to leave them in the first place. I realize it's not your fault that the first episode didn't linger on why, but that why still presumably applies now.

Do we know who’s caring for his sisters? His Mom died in the battle yes? A Trolloc killed her? I was just thinking about that- but we know his sisters are alive. 

6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Do we know who’s caring for his sisters? His Mom died in the battle yes? A Trolloc killed her? I was just thinking about that- but we know his sisters are alive. 

WOTfamily.thumb.jpg.f2fca5082543f4b346f6ee6506065087.jpg

Photo suggests entire family is still striving.