Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Terror Firma

• Start Topic

Very solid episode, and we finally got the crew on the same page.

I wish we'd gotten Dal there a little quicker, but he actually acted like the captain this time.

Although I don't get why Hologram Janeway needs to ask the computer for things, since presumably she IS the computer.

• Love 1

So, who put the protostar into the ship? Starfleet or the Diviner Dad? Since Janeway did not know about it and Gwen was trained to fly the ship I assume her Dad spiced it up, but then how did he lose it?  Lots of questions here but I was just glad to see her in the Captain's seat for this scene.

Dal was halfway bearable but his constant raging at Gwen still annoyed. Of course she wanted to escape what exactly did he expect her to do, remain in the brig forever after having been abducted? It's not as if he ever gave her another choice. Glad he came through in the end (after some nudging by Janeway). And he's burdened with the 'mysterious origin' trope? Interesting.

I liked the twist with the planet deceiving the Diviner too - that certainly helped Gwen knowing where to put her loyalty. Solid mid-season finale.

Aren't they supposed to be in the Delta quadrant ?  So how did a Klingon ship get on the Murder planet ?

Dal is still an ass, only now he is an ass with parental issues.

How exactly does Gwyn know about the protostar drive and Holo-Janeway didn't ?
Related to that, how did the Diviner even find out about the protostar drive, and knew it was in a Federation ship embedded in the mining planetoid yet was unable to find it ?   

Even better question -- how long has the Protostar been lost ?  Because it sounds like Gwyn has been training for it for years.  And why would an experimental drive be installed on a training ship supposedly populated with cadets ?  That really makes no sense.

Since they had a beacon to follow supplied by Holo-Janeway, why would they need to follow the stars ?  It wouldn't have mattered that the landscape was being changed constantly -- the beacon would have remained in the same direction.

Also kind of curious why Jankom Pog ditched his spacesuit -- did it suddenly get warmer after their Klingon meal ?

Only now does the ship bring up command codes -- Holo-Janeway doesn't have them, but somehow the 'cadets' do ?  That's ridiculous too.

19 hours ago, starri said:

Although I don't get why Hologram Janeway needs to ask the computer for things, since presumably she IS the computer.

That line has always been a bit blurry on Star Trek- generally, holographic entities (especially ones that appear self aware- Vic, the Doctor, Holo Janeway…) act as though they are distinct beings.  However sometimes (Holo Leah Brahms) they at least act as extensions of the computer with access to its abilities, or (the train crew headed to new vertaform city) they are direct avatars of the computer.

I think the relationship might be similar to apps on a phone.  One app may need to use another to carry out certain functions- like a social media app accessing your camera to post a picture.

1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:
21 hours ago, starri said:

That line has always been a bit blurry on Star Trek- generally, holographic entities (especially ones that appear self aware- Vic, the Doctor, Holo Janeway…) act as though they are distinct beings.  However sometimes (Holo Leah Brahms) they at least act as extensions of the computer with access to its abilities, or (the train crew headed to new vertaform city) they are direct avatars of the computer.

I think the relationship might be similar to apps on a phone.  One app may need to use another to carry out certain functions- like a social media app accessing your camera to post a picture.

I agree. The Doctor used a fair amount of memory and processing power, so it would make sense that he'd have easier/faster access to information pertaining to his programming (medical literature), whereas something like calling up the technical specs for the ship would take him a bit longer to search since they aren't in his immediate RAM. I would imagine that would especially be the case when he's in his holoemitter since then his program is isolated from the computer.

3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Even better question -- how long has the Protostar been lost ?  Because it sounds like Gwyn has been training for it for years.  And why would an experimental drive be installed on a training ship supposedly populated with cadets ?  That really makes no sense.

That's a great point! I've read that this show takes place in 2383, so it can't have been gone for that long. The most it could've been MIA would probably be 5 years in that case, since Voyager returned in 2377/2378, and by 2379 Janeway had been promoted to Admiral as seen in Nemesis. So the ship could've been in production leading up to 2378 and then fitted with the training hologram in honor of Janeway's recent return just before disappearing. It still would be a short amount of time for the Diviner to (a) become aware of it, (b) hollow out a fair amount of the planet & turn it into an established penal colony, and (c) train Gwyn on state-of-the-art Starfleet technology that should have been very rare to come by out in the Delta Quadrant. 

10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Aren't they supposed to be in the Delta quadrant ?  So how did a Klingon ship get on the Murder planet ?

I have the same question about how there is a Tellarte , one of the founding members of the Federation. I’m wondering if this takes place much later than we were led to believe, but the ship was lost in 2383. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

I have the same question about how there is a Tellarte , one of the founding members of the Federation. I’m wondering if this takes place much later than we were led to believe, but the ship was lost in 2383. 

In the last episode, Jankom mentioned being on a Tellarite sleeper ship.  So he might be from a lot further in the past than his chronological age.