Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Blue Crow Waltz

Message added by tessaray,

Note: Any references to future episodes or the classic anime should use Spoiler tags.

• Start Topic

I haven't watched the original anime, so I have no basis for comparison. I thought this episode was amazing.

The friendship chemistry between Vicious and Fearless was wild. I bought them as having that brothers-from-another bond in the very first scene. I actually felt compassion for Vicious when he was talking about his mother's suicide.

In the first episode, I thought John Cho was embarrassing trying to pull off the body language of skilled bounty hunter in the fight scenes. I don't know if the fight coordinator got better at choreographing for him or if Cho trained hard, but I completely believed him in the Neptune cartel scene. He moved like a skilled killer (well, like a media portrayal of a skilled killer. Fortunately, I have no real-life experience!)

I've hated Julia all season. The actress is a great singer, but I didn't think she was strong enough for her role. But even she was great in this episode! 

• Love 2

Finally got the obligatory flashback episode that shows more of Fearless and Vicious' relationship and the "epic" love story with Fearless and Julia.  Basically a tale as old as time.  Both men fall for her, she is courted and initially falls for Vicious, but then after seeing what kind of monster he is, she runs into Fearless' arms (amongst other things.)  And while they are barely together for a day, their love is apparently strong enough that they want to run away together.  But thanks to Caliban being a dick, Vicious stops all of that and shoots Fearless, but thankfully, Fearless relies on the old "fall into a moving river" bit that has gotten many protagonists out of sticky situations!

Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I thought John Cho was at his best here.  He seems more at ease as an conflicted assassin/hitman than a laidback bounty hunter.

Always good seeing A Martinez!  I wonder if we'll see his Cappo again.

At least we got on final (?) appearance from John Noble.

Time to wrap this season up!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

In the first episode, I thought John Cho was embarrassing trying to pull off the body language of skilled bounty hunter in the fight scenes. I don't know if the fight coordinator got better at choreographing for him or if Cho trained hard, but I completely believed him in the Neptune cartel scene. He moved like a skilled killer (well, like a media portrayal of a skilled killer. Fortunately, I have no real-life experience!)

John Cho had a serious injury while filming Cowboy Bebop so there might have been several months between when the two episodes were shot, tons of rehab and John Cho was probably in much better shape by then.

• Useful 1