Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

Recommended Posts

On 9/27/2020 at 9:01 PM, Spunkygal said:

While running errands today outside of my immediate neighborhood, traffic in my lane was stopped and not moving. I thought there was a lane closure ahead and was able to get in a different lane. I soon saw that the traffic snarl was to get into a parking lot for a place called Jollibee. I guess its food must be incredible because in the parking lot, there were employees directing traffic around barricades on where to go and that line wound around like crazy! Has anyone ever eaten there and is it worth the hassle? This rivaled the Popeyes chicken sandwich lines or the In and Out is coming to town lines! I’ve never heard of this place!

There is a Jollibee coming to our city..

Share this post


Link to post

The fast food places in our area that have been drive-up only (which they all are for the most part) have apparently done a very good job (my father says Taco Bell in particular is very efficient).  However, Arby's is so slow that cars are getting so backed up they block the street, and with their location they could set things up so they at least re-route the cars back behind the veterinarian and other businesses in a neighboring building, as there's space for cars there (a back way out of the parking lot).  It's surprising that they haven't either gotten a little better by this point, or had business decline out of frustration.

Share this post


Link to post

We used to have a Dunkin’ Donuts(which originally was a local restaurant with a drive-thru added later)where cars routinely backed up onto the road.  Eventually, it closed and a new location built a little further down.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/23/2020 at 4:30 AM, KWalkerInc said:

The fast food places in our area that have been drive-up only (which they all are for the most part) have apparently done a very good job (my father says Taco Bell in particular is very efficient).  However, Arby's is so slow that cars are getting so backed up they block the street, and with their location they could set things up so they at least re-route the cars back behind the veterinarian and other businesses in a neighboring building, as there's space for cars there (a back way out of the parking lot).  It's surprising that they haven't either gotten a little better by this point, or had business decline out of frustration.

I've never known of an Arby's that had shorter and efficient wait times. 

Share this post


Link to post

This one was pretty good when it had dine-in service.  It was Carl's Jr. (pretty much all of them) that would be slow (except for when I was dropped off and going to walk over to a basketball game afterwards and had tons of time, then they'd get it ready instantly).  But the Carl's Jr. next to this Arby's has been efficient with its drive-up now, as long as people can get past the Arby's back-up to get into the parking lot.  KFC backs up to the street every once in a while if it's really busy because it's on a small lot, but they let people in for pick-up too so they're usually not out to the street.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/25/2020 at 5:42 PM, smittykins said:

We used to have a Dunkin’ Donuts(which originally was a local restaurant with a drive-thru added later)where cars routinely backed up onto the road.  Eventually, it closed and a new location built a little further down.

the dunkin donuts I go to is drive thru only, even tho you can eat in there but that all changed when COvid hit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just tried Pollo Tropical for the first time (is that considered fast food) and while I don't really like chicken the quesadilla wrap was amazing. And I think I need to find a dupe recipe for their creamy cilantro garlic sauce.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/30/2020 at 2:24 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I don’t like the curly fries (whomever decided fries needed to be seasoned like that is an idiot, in my book—I’d rather add my own seasoning, thank you very much),

Is that what I don't like about curly fries?  It's something, because even if Mr. Outlier gets them and they're sitting right in front of me, I won't eat them, and it's not like me to pass up something that's fried.  They're not even redeemable with my ketchup-and-mayonnaise fry sauce concoction.

 

On 10/3/2020 at 7:08 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Hmmm...now I'm in the mood for Popeyes fried chicken sandwich on that good roll. I haven't even had breakfast yet 🌞

Those Popeye's fried chicken sandwiches are just as good as advertised.  The chicken, the roll, the pickle, the spicy sauce.  Perfection.

They other day, they got my order wrong and instead of bone-in chicken I got tenders.  I've never even thought about ordering chicken tenders because I'm not five years old, plus I prefer dark meat to white.  But I have to say, they were good.  I always over-order to have leftovers, and just eat the bone-in chicken cold, but those tenders reheated wonderfully in the microwave, with a finish in the toaster oven on TOAST, to crisp them up. 

So I ordered them on purpose the next time, and this time got sauce--the Cajun mustard whatever.  Damn if that wasn't really good, too.

 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Those Popeye's fried chicken sandwiches are just as good as advertised.  The chicken, the roll, the pickle, the spicy sauce.  Perfection.

They other day, they got my order wrong and instead of bone-in chicken I got tenders.  I've never even thought about ordering chicken tenders because I'm not five years old, plus I prefer dark meat to white.  But I have to say, they were good.  I always over-order to have leftovers, and just eat the bone-in chicken cold, but those tenders reheated wonderfully in the microwave, with a finish in the toaster oven on TOAST, to crisp them up. 

So I ordered them on purpose the next time, and this time got sauce--the Cajun mustard whatever.  Damn if that wasn't really good, too.

 

Until the chicken sandwich came along, I'd order wings cause, bad girl that I am, I wanted more crunch than meat. I think I'll try tenders next...Cajun mustard sounds good. Hey...that spicy mayo is hot! Last time I got the sandwich I know I said "classic" and isn't that the non-hot version? I came home and scraped as much of it off as I could. Was still delicious.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Is that what I don't like about curly fries?  It's something, because even if Mr. Outlier gets them and they're sitting right in front of me, I won't eat them, and it's not like me to pass up something that's fried.  They're not even redeemable with my ketchup-and-mayonnaise fry sauce concoction.

It might be. Since I only know you through this site, I can’t really say. But the curly fries at Arby’s have some sort of seasoned salt (I guess it is) on them & I don’t like them like that. They don’t taste garlicky or oniony, but they don’t taste like they just have plain table salt or even plain sea salt on them either. I’d rather put my own, non-seasoned, salt on my fries, thank you very much.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Until the chicken sandwich came along, I'd order wings cause, bad girl that I am, I wanted more crunch than meat.

That's why I get legs and thighs.  I prefer dark meat, but there's much more favorable crunch : meat ratio than with a breast.  Wings are just too hard for me to eat.

What I don't want to know is where they get the chickens they use for the sandwiches, because those breasts are enormous.  I'm fearing the chickens that can't stand up without tipping over because they're bred to maximize breast meat. 

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

What I don't want to know is where they get the chickens they use for the sandwiches, because those breasts are enormous.  I'm fearing the chickens that can't stand up without tipping over because they're bred to maximize breast meat. 

I saw a video several years ago that showed chickens with huge breasts teetering on their spindly legs. What kept them from toppling over was the overcrowded cages. I really don't like buying these oversized chicken breasts. Years ago, maybe around 2005-ish, I bought a 3.5 lb chicken, roasted it, and when I began to carve the chicken, there was no breast meat. That poor animal wasn't able to get enough food while alive. I still kick myself for not taking it back to the supermarket and showing it to the manager (it was a store I rarely shopped at so maybe I didn't feel comfortable doing that??) I wonder why PETA isn't going after these poultry farms. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't really eat chicken but I do love me some fried chicken skin. I'll eat the legs and maybe a little though but for the most part the actual meat gets tossed (or given to friends who aren't bothered by it).

However I may need to cave and try that Popeye's Chicken sandwich.

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

 I wonder why PETA isn't going after these poultry farms. 

I wonder why the USDA isn't going after consumer's obsessions with breast meat, leading to the breeding of breast heavy chickens to suit the demand in the market.  Or why chains aren't doing their part in pushing dark meat on consumers.  

The food industry is one of the few industries that pivots immediately to consumer tastes and demands.  When farms breed frankenchickens, it's not because farmers are making that choice of their own accord.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/26/2020 at 10:43 AM, Jaded said:

I've never known of an Arby's that had shorter and efficient wait times. 

In my town, Arby's has by far the most efficient drive-thru service. If you go to Wendy's you better take a book.

Share this post


Link to post

Five Guys in my area, was open for people to go to the counter, and people were spaced, and wearing masks. I like their fries now - they used to be too skinny, and small. 

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/19/2020 at 6:06 PM, WritinMan said:

In my town, Arby's has by far the most efficient drive-thru service. If you go to Wendy's you better take a book.

I just moved, now I'm in the same boat as you.  The Wendy's here is DREADFUL.  And I hate that, because Wendy's is decent fast food.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Where I live Popeye's has always had the biggest quality of food to service disparity. I never leave a Popeye's drive-through without thoroughly checking the order. Unfortunately, except for the mom and pop places, they have the best takeout fried chicken.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, it's official. The Panera Bread in my little corner of the world has officially closed. They closed it the beginning of April, with a note on the door saying due to the pandemic hurting business, they were closed temporarily. I loved so many of their soups, salads, and sandwiches. It was in the same complex as my regular grocery store. I contacted Panera in the summer. It took them over 2 weeks to get back to me. They said it was unclear if they would reopen. When I went to the grocery store today, there was a sign saying space for lease. Dang.

  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post

Unless you count Starbucks or other coffee places, salad bars, poke places or craft pizza joints, I honestly haven’t had real fast food in almost 2 years!  The last time was McDonald’s (for breakfast) in early 2019!  
 

p.s. do fast casual places where you pick a protein and two or three sides count as “fast food?”  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/21/2020 at 4:33 AM, Quof said:

Just like the rest of us.

Haha, yes! 

I'll have to check out Popeye's again, to try the beignets. 

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/8/2020 at 5:24 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Just tried Pollo Tropical for the first time (is that considered fast food) and while I don't really like chicken the quesadilla wrap was amazing. And I think I need to find a dupe recipe for their creamy cilantro garlic sauce.

We used to have Pollo tropical here and it was good especially the black beans and rice. But they went away...

On 12/3/2020 at 10:44 AM, chessiegal said:

You can buy frosting at the grocery store. Is Cinnabon's something magical?

I had Cinnabon once and it was awaful!🤢 I compare it to a dish sponge with frosting on it .

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size