Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Food: Do You Want Fries With That?

• Start Topic

On 3/23/2019 at 1:35 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I also squeeze lemon all over my pizza. It gets rid of too much sweet or saltiness. It also helps to remove excess oils or fats. Yum. Even my granddaughter does this now. The lemon not the wine lol. 

That's interesting cause I squeeze lemon into red clam sauce & like it. Next time I have pizza, I'll try the lemon. I also squeeze lemon into tuna salad & egg salad. It tempers the fishiness of the canned tuna and the egginess of the hardboiled eggs. Ina did an episode on the additon of lemon juice &/or zest.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Anyone ever had a Sonic milkshake? Our local Sonic is having half-priced shakes, and touting they are made with "real ice cream". And I'm having milkshake cravings.

I used to get the chocolate malt milkshake and it was so good. I sent my husband after one a few months ago after I had surgery and they told him they didn't do malt anymore. I don't know if that's just for our Sonic or all of them. So I can say I loved the chocolate malt but I've never had any other kind from there.

(edited)

I used to love their Orange Cream Slushes then those disappeared here. Their prices kept climbing higher and higher moreso then other fast food places to the point where I quit purchasing anything from there. I know they were advertising Ice Cream Slushes like they were something new awhile back. The last time I had a milkshake there I liked it but that was almost two years ago.

@festivus I remember some people I know online and locally being really mad when Sonic discontinued their malted shakes and whatnot.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is the Impossible Burger now available at all Burger Kings? I've got to try that.  I'll have to hunt for a BK around here.

It’s currently only available in 4 cities: St. Louis, Miami, Columbus, Georgia and Montgomery, Alabama.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:43 PM, biakbiak said:

It’s currently only available in 4 cities: St. Louis, Miami, Columbus, Georgia and Montgomery, Alabama.

Apparently, testing has gone so well that the Impossible Whopper is expected to go nationwide by the end of this year. Me? I'll stick with my meat. But good for those that want to try this and aren't in the current test markets!

• Love 1

I finally tried the impossible burger and it tasted like a burger that had been cooked to well done since I don’t like well done burgers I wouldn’t order it again. Everything else at this restaurant is delicious so I don’t think think it was just the execution.

On 6/11/2019 at 4:45 PM, biakbiak said:

I finally tried the impossible burger and it tasted like a burger that had been cooked to well done since I don’t like well done burgers I wouldn’t order it again. Everything else at this restaurant is delicious so I don’t think think it was just the execution.

I totally agree, and as someone who prefers a well done burger (I've taken too many sanitation courses, lol), that's one of the things I like most about it!  

You might prefer the Beyond Burger versus the Impossible if you are seeking meat free alternatives.

I also had the Popeye’s chicken sandwich and I have come to realize that I am not a fast food chicken sandwich kind of girl, I don’t like the contrast between the soft bun and the crunchy chicken. I did like the sauce, pickles and chicken so I imagine if you like chicken sandwiches you would like it!

On 8/25/2019 at 11:54 AM, chessiegal said:

There was an article in our paper today saying people are waiting over 45 minutes at all the area Popeye's to get the chicken sandwich.

I heard somewhere that the sandwiches are so popular that some Popeye’s stores are allegedly thinking of taking them OFF their menus because of the huge lines they’re attracting—as in some stores apparently think the product is more trouble than it’s worth, despite the amount of money & customer traffic the sandwich brings into their stores.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a missing word, for clarity’s sake.

From WGN-TV Chicago: KFC Starts Testing First Plant-Based Fried “Chicken” with Beyond Meat

For those possibly interested, the product test is/will be going on at a KFC in the Atlanta area (I believe the article said it’s actually in Smyrna, GA), near SunTrust Park.

According to this article, the testing site for the KFC Beyond Meat products is the store at 2637 Cobb Parkway SE, Smyrna, GA—just in case someone reading this lives there/near there (or might know someone who does) & might wanna give it a try. It comes in nuggets or boneless wings & can be tossed in Nashville Hot, Buffalo, or Honey BBQ sauce.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add info and a link.
On 8/25/2019 at 11:54 AM, chessiegal said:

There was an article in our paper today saying people are waiting over 45 minutes at all the area Popeye's to get the chicken sandwich.

I went to Popeye's yesterday (first time in a couple years) and there were handwritten signs at two places along the drive thru area saying "no chicken sandwiches now...coming soon".  When they do, I'm going to try it. But I bought some wings, a side of red beans & rice + a side of cole slaw.  It was my last day of batchelorette week & the Washington Post had an article comparing fried chicken fast food places--Popeye's was #1 (the descriptions of the crunchiness were driving me crazy!) Oh boy...those wings truly were crunchy and delicious 😋

• Love 1

Wendy's is going to start offering breakfast.

vxsz3slqbjp4w0gcatje.jpg

The biscuit chicken sandwich looks best (with honey butter) and while I like the idea of the Baconator Breakfast sandwich (Sausage patty, egg, two slices of cheese, six strips of bacon and topped off with a dollop of hollandaise) It's a little too much for breakfast.

Our Wendy's opens at 11 am and closes 10 or 11 (or later) Maybe they are starting breakfast to compete with McDonalds and Taco Bell. When we moved 9 years ago, we spent 3 weeks in extended living. It had a small kitchen, but we mostly ate takeout, Wendy's most of the time because we found them better than other fast food places.

• Love 1

I remember at one time there were some locations that served breakfast. I don't think any of the local ones here ever did though. I'm also not sure if those select Wendy's stopped doing that and this nationwide breakfast thing is all new or a continuation. There's a 24 hour location in South Alabama that's been attached to a Pilot Truck Stop for over 20 years at least that's served breakfast for as long as I can remember. When my Mom and I still lived there way back they served some good tasting pancakes especially for a fast food place.  According to Google Street View shows it's still there.

I love Popeyes, and I'd love to try their chicken sandwich, but hearing all those stories about certain restaurants that have run out of them, leading to some being held at gunpoint (!!!!)--I mean, I can stick to the chicken strips I usually get there anyway, you know? I'm not THAT hard up.

Dairy Queen's fried chicken sandwich is actually pretty good, and they may very well have the best french fries of any major fast food chain. And when the mood strikes me, I do love their chili cheese dog! 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
On 9/23/2019 at 11:21 AM, smittykins said:

I wish my area had a DQ.(The closest is in Syracuse, about an hour away.)

Ah, upstate New York. It can get pretty rural. 

When I was a kid visiting colleges we stopped in at Colgate and then Hamilton College. My brother chimed in with “We’re gonna have to FedEx you a pizza.”

• LOL 5

I went to Siena College. (In the '90s!). The Capital Region area of New York has really built up over the years. But DQ is still no longer around. (It was here in the '70s when I was a wee one, but is long gone. And the DQs here were just the ice cream, not all the other stuff DQ has now.) We also had - and lost - Hardees (left in the late '90s), Jack in the Box (also gone since the late '70s/early '80s), and KFC. We had KFC around here 'til the early 2000s. Then it caught fire. The owners were supposed to rebuild but I guess it had code violations prior and did not get all of the insurance money they expected. So the rebuilding never happened.

But we did get Five Guys and Sonic. The latter, we had commercials for for AGES until a Facebook drive brought them here. We also have the usual suspects (McDonald's Burger King, Wendy's, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell) and regional popular chains like Hot Dog Charlie's.

But for ice cream, Stewart's [a popular long-time sort of convenience store/ice cream place hybrid in the northeast] or a neighborhood ice cream stand called Snowman's are the basic options, since DQ has forsaken the area!

We have the usual Arby's, Wendy's, McDonalds, Panera, Five Guys, etc. 

I only really like the fries from McDonalds, as long as I get them hot. I'm daydreaming of home fries, thicker and fried, or made in the oven, but I'm too lazy to make them right now, and I never make them the way my mum did. 

Pizza-wize, I used to like Papa John's and the garlic butter dipping sauce, but I don't like the owner's politics. Same with a couple of other places. We have been getting East of Chicago pizza, every so often. I miss the Pizza hut pizzas I grew up with (overseas). I don't enjoy food as much as I used to, unless I'm having a good stomach day. 

17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I stopped at McDonalds around lunch for soft serve ice cream. I got a small fries, that were fresh from the fryer, and thought they were terrible. Too skinny. I'll go to Wendy's next time I want fast food fries.

I loathe skinny and/or curly fries.  Give me good basic crispy French fries (and I sorely miss real old-fashioned diner food from the 60's too--the healthy version diners serve today is no fun at all).

Skinny fries are the only kind I'll eat; I hate potatoes, so I only eat fries that are thin and crispy, so they just taste like fat and salt (and the ranch dressing they're dipped in) instead of a potato.  Needless to say, I don't eat fries very often.

I don't eat much fast food, but maybe once a year I have a Super Star (w/ cheese; I do not even understand burgers without cheese) from Carl's Jr. and fries from McDonald's (they're only a couple of blocks apart on the same street).

• Love 1
On 10/15/2019 at 9:41 PM, chessiegal said:

I stopped at McDonalds around lunch for soft serve ice cream. I got a small fries, that were fresh from the fryer, and thought they were terrible. Too skinny. I'll go to Wendy's next time I want fast food fries.

I have a stomach problem, and they're the best ones for me, when I've been sick, and get hungry twenty minutes later - or when I need a little something, but don't want to try eating much. I don't like the Wendy's ones as much. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Skinny fries are the only kind I'll eat; I hate potatoes, so I only eat fries that are thin and crispy, so they just taste like fat and salt (and the ranch dressing they're dipped in) instead of a potato.  Needless to say, I don't eat fries very often.

I don't eat much fast food, but maybe once a year I have a Super Star (w/ cheese; I do not even understand burgers without cheese) from Carl's Jr. and fries from McDonald's (they're only a couple of blocks apart on the same street).

I eat fast food most weekends, if I don't go to the Mexican restaurant (one of my favourites, but it kills my stomach, too often - I love spicy food). I have trouble with a lot of food, unless I'm having a good day, when I'll chance a better burger, like Five Guys. 

When I went to the movies recently. I was hungry, and didn't know what to chance, so I got chicken nuggets and small fries. Ate a bit before going in, and put the rest in my little bag. It was just the right amount to satisfy hunger, and not leave me uncomfortable for the almost three-hour movie.

5 hours ago, Anela said:

I've just remembered the cream cheese wontons at a Chinese food place in Canton. No crab in there, just cream cheese. I love them, and every so often, crave them, like I am now. 

Since SF has such a large Cantonese population a lot of the Chinese food places have those. So yummy. 

• Love 1
On 9/11/2019 at 2:29 AM, Jaded said:

I remember at one time there were some locations that served breakfast. I don't think any of the local ones here ever did though. I'm also not sure if those select Wendy's stopped doing that and this nationwide breakfast thing is all new or a continuation.

I haven't seen breakfast at regular Wendy's locations in many many years, but I know they used to have it.  Their hash browns were little discs and quite tasty. 

1 hour ago, LucindaWalsh said:

If you are ever around a Harris Teeter (grocery, not fast food) on a Thurs between 4pm-7pm they offer prime rib dinner with vegetable mix, potato and roll for $9.99. There is a whole little station set up for it. A Friday night will reward you with crab cakes. 

Well well well.  I live in an RV traveling around, and am familiar with Harris Teeter but haven't spent that much time in that part of the country.  Not that I would go there just for the prime rib, but I have to be somewhere, you know?  And crab cakes on the next night?  Yes!

Thanks so much for the tip.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, Spunkygal said:

That's hilarious.  We're currently wondering where to go during the winter and are thinking about Arizona, and one of the attractions is that they have Whataburger there.  There's a Whataburger adjacent to a shopping center in Kingman, Arizona, and we once spent the night in the RV in the parking lot there, and went to Whataburger for dinner and for breakfast the next day, before heading out of Whataburger country.

One thing I love about Whataburger is that they serve hamburgers and french fries 24/7.  I've never really understood why certain foods are acceptable only at certain times, and I like being able to get a hamburger and fries at 9:00 in the morning if I happen to be hungry.  My back-to-back meals were both a hamburger and fries.

Plus their sweet tea is always fresh and really really good.  I bristle a bit at the giant "One Nation Under God" sticker they have on the window, but sometimes I just have to give in.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:31 PM, Anela said:

Pizza-wize, I used to like Papa John's and the garlic butter dipping sauce, but I don't like the owner's politics.

He's out as CEO or whatever, but still owns a lot of stock.  Shaquille O'Neal has invested in the company, and is now doing commercials for them.  So it might be safe for you to go back.  You'll still be lining his pockets, but more indirectly.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And speaking of delicious dining from a grocery store, check out Southern Kitchen's fried chicken taste test.  Publix won.

https://www.southernkitchen.com/articles/eat/our-definitive-list-of-the-best-southern-fast-food-fried-chicken

Hmmm...I might have to try this for dinner tomorrow night. 

There is no Popeyes within 100 miles or I’d go there. I love Popeyes,  especially in Louisiana where it just seems to be a tad spicier. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added a thought.

I got Popeye's recently and found it somewhat disappointing. I used to think it was pretty close to my mom's fried chicken - no batter, just floured before frying. I thought what I got had too heavy of a flour/batter coating. Their sides are still excellent, though: I like the dirty rice, mashed potatoes and green beans.

In other news, I violated my ethics and went to Chic-Fil-A last night. Damn you Chic-Fil-A and your delicious hate nuggets! But get this: four chicken tenders + side of mac & cheese + large kale ("superfood") salad = $14 whopping dollars! The mac & cheese was exceptional. Fuck you, Chic-Fil-A! Don't make me come back!

It's not the fastest of food, but I'm VERY EXCITED to head to Southern California this week for a quick work trip because it means I'll get to eat at Lemonade!  It's a cafeteria style restaurant chain with fresh sides that range from cold prepared salads to hot options like mac & cheese.  I bought their cookbook after I got back the last time.  I'm definitely getting their miso roasted beef, it's beyond delicious!

19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

First our Burger King closes, and today I drove by a McDonald's about 5 miles away that is being torn down. What's up with that?

The McDonald's may be doing a remodel if the one torn down was an older build.

Edited by Jaded