Type keyword(s) to search

S41.E09: Who's Who in the Zoo

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I feel like Danny and/or DeShawn did indeed discuss getting rid of Naseer pre-merge but I can't recall the specifics.

Now that I think of it, there may have been a DeShawn reaction to Naseer's dousing cold water on the "throw a challenge to vote Erika out" plan where he was like, "Well, maybe Naseer should be the one to go."

But that is different from what the original poster was suggesting IMO.  

• Love 1

I love that Shan wanted Xander and Erika out the most, and each of them won immunity.

It's interesting to me that everyone knows the Shan is controlling and bossy and everything always has to go her way.  The part where she told Deshawn that she needed to do a better job of listening to him... and then immediately had a confessional where she said she needs people to think she is listening but then still make sure she gets her way.  Uh huh.  And yet nobody has yet wanted to rise up against Shan.  If Naseer was smart, he would have joined with Erika and Heather in voting out Shan.  But he seems to think he is in this strong Blue alliance (which until that night, had also supposedly included Erika and Heather), and somehow thought he needed to stay loyal to Blue (which really was just Danny and Deshawn at that point, not sure why he valued Shan and Ricard over the two original Blues Erika and Heather).

Erika should have explained to Naseer that the Black Alliance isn't even trying to hide... she was on the beach with them and Shan says "let's just the four of us talk".  They are openly demonstrating their power and she should have told Naseer he would be at the bottom.  Naseer deserved to be voted out for his stupidity.

I'm unclear as to why Shan used her extra vote.  I wish we could have heard what she said, but the way she held the two votes up and her facial expression seemed to me that she was saying "I don't know what is going to happen, so just let the Fates decide".  Erika and Heather were for sure voting for Naseer.  Naseer was for sure voting for Heather.  She and Ricard could have just decided that one votes Heather, one votes Naseer.  In case Naseer plays an idol, Heather still goes home.

Heather was so sure she was going home to the point where she was crying and she said she wanted her family to be proud of her.  I wonder what they have to be proud of, except for the fact that she got chosen for the show.  Because she's been absolutely useless.  Shown spectacularly failing at the reward challenge with the balls in the chutes.  Making some kind of disastrous move at the previous tribal council.  And then generally just sitting around and doing nothing.  I have no idea why Shan wanted her out so much... Shan said she wanted to get rid of Erika's ally, but again, not sure why Shan has such a hate for Erika.

If Heather thought she was going home, why didn't she take her Shot in the Dark? 

I think it's crappy that the extra vote carries through to a revote.  

For the other half, I think Xander misplayed.  He has zero allies right now.  He should have tried to patch things up with Evvie.  Play the idol for her and one of Danny, Deshawn or Liana is guaranteed to go home.  Then next round, he and Evvie have to join up with Erika and Heather to stand up against Danny, Deshawn, Ricard and Shan.  Especially after seeing that Naseer had gone home, he should have been thinking about the numbers for next round.  But he let his hurt feelings about Evvie from the previous rounds control him.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:11 PM, vb68 said:

I didn't think I could dislike Liana any more, then she starts making nasty mean girl comments about Xander's face.  Just unnecessary and a bad look. Oh and then she tries to ask for his idol. That's rich.

So ridiculous when she casually says to him "I would feel comfortable if you would give me your idol".  And he said something like "oh I might use it... but not for you".  Ha ha.  Who does she think she is?  She openly targeted him last round by trying to steal his idol, she comments at the immunity challenge about how she hates his face, and then she asks for his idol?

Someone (I forget who it was, maybe Xander) said something about how Liana is basically Shan's puppet, just doing whatever Shan does.  I see Liana trying to act exactly like Shan.  Shan asked JD for his advantage, he turns it over to her.  So Liana feels like she has to be just like big sister Shan and show that she can do the exact same thing.  Haha epic fail.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:19 AM, JudyObscure said:

Shan seems to think that so long as she makes people "feel heard" she can then ignore everything they just said.  Just as Liane seems to think that if she tells someone she needs their idol to "feel comfortable" they'll quietly hand it over. The two of them are also being way too obvious about how tight they are with each other.  Looking forward to their evictions is making this season work for me.

These two make me want to skip ahead to the end of the season to ensure that they DON'T win.  Then go back and watch from this point on, taking comfort in the fact that they lose.

23 hours ago, Primetimer said:

Just posted: Primetimer's own Joe Reid weighs in Shan's dangerous game --

More here:
https://www.primetimer.com/features/survivors-double-elimination-sees-shan-playing-a-dangerous-game

I disagree that Shan is the protagonist.  I get that she can be considered a main character, but usually the protagonist is someone that you want to root for.  I would consider her more to be the central villain in this season.

17 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I liked Naseer, and I'm sad to see him go.  However, some of the scenes they showed last night--particularly those with Heather, where he called her "Mama"--gave me some clues as to why members of his original tribe seemed to dislike him so much.  At least enough to throw a challenge, or to throw his name out as their first eviction if they ever had to go to TC.  There was just something in the way he talked to Heather that rubbed me the wrong way.  It clearly rubbed her the wrong way too, her body language and eyes told me that she loathed him. 

Yes, agreed.  "Sorry Mama.  But you are going home tonight."  First off, whoever here said last week that Heather looks like Rachel Hunter should apologise to Rachel Hunter.  Rachel Hunter is a beautiful supermodel, Heather looks nothing like her.  Her face is bloated and it makes her eyes look so tiny, like little pig eyes.

The "Mama" is especially condescending, considering I don't think she is that much older than him?  I don't know how old they each are, but I'd put her at late 40s / early 50s.  He looks like he is easily 45.

• Love 5

I feel like Danny and/or DeShawn did indeed discuss getting rid of Naseer pre-merge but I can't recall the specifics.

Deshawn did very early on, when he found out Naseer was talking against him and Danny over the whole "looking for the idol while doing that fetching water task" incident. There was also an early talking head from Sydney where she said she (or possibly "they") were thinking of voting out Naseer but she was starting to like him, and then another where she seemed to switch positions. Since Blue never lost though, it was hard to tell how serious any of that was.

Exactly this. His face is smug. The way he went about telling Liana she wasted her advantage was dickish. I enjoyed it but I can understand why Liana is not a Xander fan.

To be fair, the way Liana went about asking Xander for his idol via her advantage was also pretty dickish, with the sing-song voice and a smug smile of her own. I thought his response was pretty tame in comparison.

To get this post on topic, I would almost (ALMOST) like to see Shan and Ricard get to the end just to see the calm, polite, yet passive aggressive snipes they'd take at each other in the final tribal council. Every time they get in these discussions where they are at odds (as they did here with whom to vote out and the debate over the extra vote), it's fascinating.

59 minutes ago, blackwing said:

he "Mama" is especially condescending, considering I don't think she is that much older than him?  I don't know how old they each are, but I'd put her at late 40s / early 50s.  He looks like he is easily 45.

Naseer calls Tiffany “mama” in his Ponderosa video and they are even closer in age. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Haleth said:
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

he "Mama" is especially condescending, considering I don't think she is that much older than him?  I don't know how old they each are, but I'd put her at late 40s / early 50s.  He looks like he is easily 45.

Naseer calls Tiffany “mama” in his Ponderosa video and they are even closer in age. 

Perhaps it's a translation of a term in his native language that doesn't quite correlate to our idea of "mama" in English. For the record, at the time the season was filmed, Naseer was 37, Heather was 52, and Tiffany was 47. So a 10-15 year age difference, for whatever that's worth.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

First off, whoever here said last week that Heather looks like Rachel Hunter should apologise to Rachel Hunter.  Rachel Hunter is a beautiful supermodel, Heather looks nothing like her.  Her face is bloated and it makes her eyes look so tiny, like little pig eyes.

Whatever one thinks of how Heather has or hasn't played the game, do we need to take slams at her (or anyone's) physical appearance? What exactly has she done to warrant a comment like this?

53 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I love that Shan wanted Xander and Erika out the most, and each of them won immunity.

It's interesting to me that everyone knows the Shan is controlling and bossy and everything always has to go her way.  The part where she told Deshawn that she needed to do a better job of listening to him... and then immediately had a confessional where she said she needs people to think she is listening but then still make sure she gets her way.  Uh huh.  And yet nobody has yet wanted to rise up against Shan.  If Naseer was smart, he would have joined with Erika and Heather in voting out Shan.  But he seems to think he is in this strong Blue alliance (which until that night, had also supposedly included Erika and Heather), and somehow thought he needed to stay loyal to Blue (which really was just Danny and Deshawn at that point, not sure why he valued Shan and Ricard over the two original Blues Erika and Heather).

Erika should have explained to Naseer that the Black Alliance isn't even trying to hide... she was on the beach with them and Shan says "let's just the four of us talk".  They are openly demonstrating their power and she should have told Naseer he would be at the bottom.  Naseer deserved to be voted out for his stupidity.

I'm unclear as to why Shan used her extra vote.  I wish we could have heard what she said, but the way she held the two votes up and her facial expression seemed to me that she was saying "I don't know what is going to happen, so just let the Fates decide".  Erika and Heather were for sure voting for Naseer.  Naseer was for sure voting for Heather.  She and Ricard could have just decided that one votes Heather, one votes Naseer.  In case Naseer plays an idol, Heather still goes home.

Heather was so sure she was going home to the point where she was crying and she said she wanted her family to be proud of her.  I wonder what they have to be proud of, except for the fact that she got chosen for the show.  Because she's been absolutely useless.  Shown spectacularly failing at the reward challenge with the balls in the chutes.  Making some kind of disastrous move at the previous tribal council.  And then generally just sitting around and doing nothing.  I have no idea why Shan wanted her out so much... Shan said she wanted to get rid of Erika's ally, but again, not sure why Shan has such a hate for Erika.

If Heather thought she was going home, why didn't she take her Shot in the Dark? 

I think it's crappy that the extra vote carries through to a revote.  

For the other half, I think Xander misplayed.  He has zero allies right now.  He should have tried to patch things up with Evvie.  Play the idol for her and one of Danny, Deshawn or Liana is guaranteed to go home.  Then next round, he and Evvie have to join up with Erika and Heather to stand up against Danny, Deshawn, Ricard and Shan.  Especially after seeing that Naseer had gone home, he should have been thinking about the numbers for next round.  But he let his hurt feelings about Evvie from the previous rounds control him.

So ridiculous when she casually says to him "I would feel comfortable if you would give me your idol".  And he said something like "oh I might use it... but not for you".  Ha ha.  Who does she think she is?  She openly targeted him last round by trying to steal his idol, she comments at the immunity challenge about how she hates his face, and then she asks for his idol?

Someone (I forget who it was, maybe Xander) said something about how Liana is basically Shan's puppet, just doing whatever Shan does.  I see Liana trying to act exactly like Shan.  Shan asked JD for his advantage, he turns it over to her.  So Liana feels like she has to be just like big sister Shan and show that she can do the exact same thing.  Haha epic fail.

These two make me want to skip ahead to the end of the season to ensure that they DON'T win.  Then go back and watch from this point on, taking comfort in the fact that they lose.

I disagree that Shan is the protagonist.  I get that she can be considered a main character, but usually the protagonist is someone that you want to root for.  I would consider her more to be the central villain in this season.

Yes, agreed.  "Sorry Mama.  But you are going home tonight."  First off, whoever here said last week that Heather looks like Rachel Hunter should apologise to Rachel Hunter.  Rachel Hunter is a beautiful supermodel, Heather looks nothing like her.  Her face is bloated and it makes her eyes look so tiny, like little pig eyes.

The "Mama" is especially condescending, considering I don't think she is that much older than him?  I don't know how old they each are, but I'd put her at late 40s / early 50s.  He looks like he is easily 45.

I know there's the narrative that Shan is controlling and bossy, but here, it seems to me that she showed at least some flexibility. In last week's episode, she said in her confessional that she didn't want to vote Naseer despite two of her allies saying that's what they wanted. When the third of her four allies again floats voting Naseer, she could have just said no. Especially when the plan they concocted was contingent on using her extra-vote advantage.

Not to pat her too much on the back because when three of her four allies have told her they explicitly wanted Naseer gone it would not make sense to continue to fight that fight. 

The explanation for the extra vote is contingent on not knowing who Erika/Heather are voting for and the uncertainty of whether Naseer would use his idol. It is easy to say from the comfort of our homes and knowing who they actually voted for that Erika and Heather were for sure voting Naseer. As you pointed out, it would make sense for E/H to attempt to blindside R/S. If E/H were better players they would have appealed to N on either the "Blue strong" axis or "We need to disrupt the African-American Alliance" axis. 

Although "protagonist" is typically someone you want to root for, that is not inherent in the definition of protagonist. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/protagonist

Tony Soprano and Thanos in Infinity War are arguably examples of protagonists who the audience doesn't root for. 

I took Naseer's calling Heather "Mama" as a friendly term of endearment. It's not necessarily an age thing, though. It might be reflective of how she defines herself. According to her bio, Heather is a 52-year-old stay-at-home mother. FWIW, Naseer is a 37-year-old. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Is it just me or is this the dirtiest, sweatiest group of Survivors yet? I know that eventually they all start to look pretty ragged and especially in the early seasons, really skinny, but within a few days this group looked so awful! 

I'm assuming it's the extreme heat, but I actually feel itchy and uncomfortable looking at them, and that doesn't usually happen. 

By contrast, Tiffany looked fresh as a daisy last night, gigantic bug notwithstanding, and I felt bad for her when Naseer had to squish in beside her without even a shower. I'd love at least a couple of talking heads about how they all feel about being so filthy. 

I know, this show gives me weird obsessions to focus on when I can't figure out the strategy. 

I like 'em dirty!  For a million dollars, they should be dirty and uncomfortable.  And in even bigger breaking news, they're hungry.

In this season of bizarro world twists and turns, it's classic game play that the challenges earn them some much needed protein, calories, energy.  I think that's an angle that has a place in a show about surviving--"We have to win this one because we're getting too weak to compete effectively."

The past few years, the players have all sat around eating their rice and fish cooked in coconut milk and fantasizing about pizza and hot fudge sundaes, which were likely to turn up a few days later.

Pah.

• Love 1

I hope people start question Shan as the master-mind.  She was gunning for Heather because she's friends with Erika??? Heather has no game and could be taken out any time.  I can't believe they haven't ousted Shan yet, she is insufferable.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, judyri said:

I hope people start question Shan as the master-mind.  She was gunning for Heather because she's friends with Erika??? Heather has no game and could be taken out any time.  I can't believe they haven't ousted Shan yet, she is insufferable.

Where did you get that Shan was gunning for Heather because she's friends with Erika?

5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Now that I think of it, there may have been a DeShawn reaction to Naseer's dousing cold water on the "throw a challenge to vote Erika out" plan where he was like, "Well, maybe Naseer should be the one to go."

But that is different from what the original poster was suggesting IMO.

I think I'm the original poster referred to here, and I do remember early on--like the first several episodes--some hissed conversations between his tribemates and/or in talking head segments where there was frustration expressed that they weren't going to tribal council because they really wanted to get rid of Naseer.  I don't remember who was having those conversations, because frankly in the first couple of episodes, that tribe wasn't featured much because they weren't going to TC and I didn't have the opportunity to learn any names.  I even remember some chit chat in the forums here over whether that apparent animosity was perhaps because of his race or because he was a jerk.  We didn't know, because we didn't get to see much of camp life from that tribe.  Mostly what we saw was Naseer being helpful, so there was general puzzlement over why it seemed he was a target.

As far as addressing women as "Mama", that might be a cultural title of respect, and truly intended that way by Naseer, but it certainly didn't look to me like Heather exactly appreciated it that way.  He's gone now, but maybe some Ponderosa footage will give us a clue if Naseer is a jerk or not. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Where did you get that Shan was gunning for Heather because she's friends with Erika?

She said that when she was talking to Ricard, who wanted to get Naseer out.

1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

She wanted to get Erika out but Erika had immunity.  She talked about how Erika is dangerous, so therefore she wanted to do the next best thing and take out Erika's only ally.  That's when she and Ricard disagreed.  Ricard said "why, she's not a threat at all, that makes no sense".

It's interesting because Ricard wanted Naseer out but ended up voting for Heather.  I am curious if he and Shan discussed the final vote in advance.  If not, when Shan saw that it was tied, she must have known that Ricard voted for Heather.  So did that mean Ricard really wanted Heather out?  I am wondering if just before the revote, if Ricard and Shan whispered to each other to vote out Naseer.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

If Naseer was smart, he would have joined with Erika and Heather in voting out Shan.  But he seems to think he is in this strong Blue alliance (which until that night, had also supposedly included Erika and Heather), and somehow thought he needed to stay loyal to Blue (which really was just Danny and Deshawn at that point, not sure why he valued Shan and Ricard over the two original Blues Erika and Heather).

I wish we had more clarity on this situation. It seems so odd that Naseer so easily was OK with, hell even seemingly super excited about, Liana, Shan and Ricard just usurping Shannon, Erika, and Heather in the Blue alliance. I actually wonder if the Black alliance discussed working with POC with Naseer and Ricard. Although then you’d think they might wonder why Erika was not included. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

It's interesting because Ricard wanted Naseer out but ended up voting for Heather.  I am curious if he and Shan discussed the final vote in advance.  If not, when Shan saw that it was tied, she must have known that Ricard voted for Heather.  So did that mean Ricard really wanted Heather out?  I am wondering if just before the revote, if Ricard and Shan whispered to each other to vote out Naseer.

Running through the numbers, I'm sure that Ricard and Shantel anticipated a tie in some fashion once they decided they needed to use the extra vote, so I'm sure they knew before leaving for TC who they'd vote for in the re-vote.

As for why Ricard voted Heather instead of Naseer: I deduced (over in the Strategy thread, as linked upthread) that they were going to put 2 votes on Heather and 1 on Naseer.  I think Ricard insisted that Shantel split her votes to prove she was listening to him, and he would vote Heather to make sure the numbers worked out according to their plan.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2021 at 9:36 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Is Liana really that stupid (gimme idol!) and petty (stupid face)?

I don’t think she’s stupid as she is young, naive & wanting to play the game. Isn’t she only 19 or 20? She just has this blind spot with Xander (maybe she has a crush) and, was zeroed in on using her Knowledge of Power on Xander rather than Nasser. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Why do people think the extra vote was used again during the revote? We saw Shan put only one vote in the box and Probst showed just three votes. Naseer was out at two votes, yet Probst read the third. Had there been a fourth it makes sense he would have read that one, too.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:31 PM, ZeeEnnui said:

I thought that you had to be eighteen to be on Survivor, so what preschool did they find Liana in? Seriously, GROW THE F UP, Liana. The entire season she's acted like a bratty kid in desperate need of a nap. She hates Xander's face? Well, I hate how monumentally dumb and myopic she is. Unless Xander pulled her braids, and made her cry in class then I'm really not sure what her pathological dislike is about. At this point, it's just jealousy. Xander may look like a dude that smells like patchouli and listens to the Grateful Dead, but he runs circles both mentally and strategically around her moronic ass. It's annoying.

However, I will give Liana credit for making me LOL when she asked if she could hold onto Xander's idol. Like, she's so hilariously dumb. No girl, that only works with hypocritical youth pastors with their own lame-ass soundtracks. 

Maybe the season has worn me down but I'm coming around on Ricard (not completely). At least he knows how ridiculous Shan is, and I look forward to him stabbing her in the back. 

Have a feeling DeShawn is going to regret sending Evvie and her Amazing Technicolor Crotch Undies to the jury. 

I love your style,  your post is gold!   

I think I'm rooting for Xander,  Ricard, Erica final 3. Not not sure they would ever work together...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

Why do people think the extra vote was used again during the revote? We saw Shan put only one vote in the box and Probst showed just three votes. Naseer was out at two votes, yet Probst read the third. Had there been a fourth it makes sense he would have read that one, too.

When they did the revote, Jeff did not declare Nasser voted out until the third vote (so 3 of 4 votes) for him was read. If they did not include Shan’s second vote then they would have said Nasser was out at the second vote (2 of 3 votes)

I always thought the rules for the extra vote was you use it once during the first vote, and you can't use it in the revote. I know Jeff read three votes for Naseer instead of two. Maybe the rules changed? 

• Love 2

I too had thought the extra vote could only be used on the original and not the revote, but apparently that's not the case or at least hasn't been in the past.  The Survivor Wiki is unclear about whether it's currently allowed, but mentioned that it specifically was allowed in Ghost Island:

The exact mechanics of the Extra Vote at a revote following a tie are currently unknown.

In Survivor: Ghost Island, the note presented to Kellyn Bechtold when she received her Extra Vote stated that it would "extend through a tie and revote",[1] but at the actual Tribal Council where she used it, she did not vote twice, as she claimed that she had forgotten that it could be used on a revote.[2]

and cited Kellyn's reddit AMA where she talked about it.

If you scroll further down that Extra Vote wiki page, it says that Naseer got 4 votes on the revote, which would mean that Shan did use the extra vote on the revote. But then on their episode page, they say Naseer got only 3 votes on the revote.

Shorter answer: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If someone has a screencap of the note that came with the Extra Vote advantage or a video clip of JD reading the note out loud, that would settle it. Or even better, if CBS would put up all the votes and the voting booth confessionals because in general I would love to know what everyone is saying as they vote.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

Naseer was out at two votes, yet Probst read the third. Had there been a fourth it makes sense he would have read that one, too.

Only if that 4th vote was for Heather.

When reading votes, Peachy always* follows certain rules.

1. He'll read a vote for every different person that receives a vote, even if it's only the one, so everyone knows who all received votes.  No one who receives votes at TC gets away without seeing a parchment with their name on it. 
  2. He'll also read all the votes for those that got minority numbers of votes.  This is why the votes are arranged for dramatic effect. 
  3. Finally, he'll only read enough votes for the person that received the "majority" to show mathematical certainty that they're the one.  That number is typically equal to half the number of votes, rounded down, plus 1.   This might mean he ends up reading all the votes, but not always.  (Eg: in a 7-2 vote, he'll only read 5 of the 7, with the 2 for the other person mixed in near the first couple of the 5).
  4. Any votes left unread are assumed to be for the eliminated.  Because if they weren't, they would have been read because of Rule 2.  But since they weren't read, they can't have been for anyone other than the eliminated.  QED.

Going by these rules, there had to have been 4 votes after the re-vote, and all of them for Naseer.

*In some of the very early days, he didn't follow these rules, as they hadn't really been codified.  And of course, there was the Idol-geddon that took out Cirie.  He didn't even bother reading the votes then, even though he knew that Cirie hadn't received a single one.

• Love 1
On 11/20/2021 at 7:00 AM, ByaNose said:

She just has this blind spot with the Xander

Reading about it then actually watching made the latter so much worse.  She really comes off like such a whiner with the "look at this face--I hate his face" during the IC.  And I really did crack up when she was asking to just "hold his idol" and he was like "ummm...yeah, I'm not doing that" followed with his TH where he talks about how he knows Liana just doesn't like him (I think she thinks she's hiding that, lol).

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Love 5
On 11/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, treeofdreams said:

"Evvie Jagoda reveals what tore Yase apart on Survivor"

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-41-evvie-jagoda-interview/

Yeah, what tore Yase apart was that poorly timed 'let's have a women's alliance and vote out all our strong(er) men, so that we have to keep coming back to tribal where we vote out another strong(er) man so that we go into the merge a reduced tribe, and then rather than maintaining any loyalties we turn on each other and meanwhile never stop targeting our fellow, loyal, advantage-holding remaining male Yase-er, Xander!' Idiots.

Edited by violet and green
typo
  • Love 5