Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E10: Semifinals

• Start Topic

While I absolutely loved Jenna and JoJo's argentine tango, I had a hard time paying attention to it at first. I couldn't stop thinking about James Hinchcliffe and Sharna's amazing argentine tango to the same song. It's a dance I watch often, including last week, so it was a little jarring to see them doing the same dance to it. James and Sharna even had a chair in their routine as well - though their ending with the chair was definitely better.

I feel almost resigned to a Cody win. I'm no big fan of Amanda - and have been shocked she's never been in the bottom two before - but Cody must have had substantially more votes than she did because there was an eight point difference between their scores and still she ended up in the bottom three and not him. I don't think he'll be as bad a winner as Bobby Bones - like someone else mentioned it wasn't just that Bones was a bad dancer, but he had a horrible attitude. Still, I won't be happy if he wins. 

I haven't been either Suni or Amanda's biggest fans this year. I thought Amanda's dances always lacked personality, even though she was technically good. Her best dance was last night's contemporary and even then I wasn't as moved by it as I should have been. I thought Suni at first had personality issues as well and seemed scared out there, but she really did have a breakthrough the last few weeks and I enjoyed both of her dances last night. If I had to pick I would have chosen Suni because she's improving. And, it could have been kind of sweet for Amanda to go out on the high note of dancing to her late husband's dance.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Did Suni get screwed over simply because she didn't have a dead husband or a dead grandpa to cry over?

It's not like Suni didn't have a sad story to share given what happened to her father.

but his Tango was just OK and that spin at the end was awkward as hell. The "Jazz" number just seemed like Contemporary to me, it was a lot of lifts and tricks which of course are easy for him to do. 

*nods* Yeah, I wasn't as impressed by his Jazz because it felt like a retread of his Halloween contemporary. And, like Bruno said, some of those lifts just felt too dangerous. It was clear she had trouble at first climbing his chest for the last pose (maybe they greased up his chest too much.)

I wonder why the order switched between Cody and Cheryl and Melora and Artem in the second dance.

I think they usually do that, especially during the semi-finals where sometimes during the second dances the order switches.

• Love 3

Good god, he held her up with one hand. Dude is CRAZY strong. damn. 

Well, obviously. He's a pro athlete and he's about 10 feet tall. I don't see what that has to do with dance ability. And I just think it's unfair for some couples to get away with virtually anything while others competing against them are held to rigid rules, like no lifts or whatever. The only way a Contemporary (or "jazz" in this case) is fair is if all the couples are dancing that style. Someone who has to do Salsa or Argentine Tango is going to be judged very differently than someone doing Contemporary. 

I feel almost resigned to a Cody win

They are not going to let Cody win. They will mark him down accordingly to compensate for his vote total. I'm hard pressed to see anyone winning other than JoJo.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

JoJo and Amanda are ringers - they have had professional training as dancers.  Their level of dance experience unfairly stacks the deck.

I want to see Iman win. He may not be the best technical dancer, but a 6ft 5in NBA player? He's completely out of his comfort zone and his height is an obstacle. I also think he's grown the most.  That's truly the spirit of what DWTS should be about. 

Edited by twilightzone
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17

Shocking even myself, I actually am rooting for Jojo. I really didn’t know who she was beforehand, although her early show packages were pretty annoying. And I really dislike Jenna and her often, “look at me!” choreography. 

But I love watching their dances. Jenna has been terrific. Iman is so much fun as well. I’d be happy with either if them winning, although truly, Jojo is a much better dancer. Perhaps many voters are pretty causal fans like me. Jojo is beautiful to watch dance. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I feel almost resigned to a Cody win. I'm no big fan of Amanda - and have been shocked she's never been in the bottom two before - but Cody must have had substantially more votes than she did because there was an eight point difference between their scores and still she ended up in the bottom three and not him. I don't think he'll be as bad a winner as Bobby Bones - like someone else mentioned it wasn't just that Bones was a bad dancer, but he had a horrible attitude. Still, I won't be happy if he wins. 

Cody has a lower average score than Mel C/Gleb, and Mel C was eliminated almost a month ago.

The top four in average scores, according to the chart on Wikipedia, is/was JoJo, Amanda, Melora, Suni. Olivia Jade five and Jimmie six. Iman is seven and Cody nine.

• Useful 3
10 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Suni's "Gravity" copped a few moves from Kayla's iconic performance from SYTYCD, but it was not as good and did not have the emotional heft, so that was a weird choice by Sasha.

When they began the routine and Gravity began to play, I kept thinking that I knew this song with another number. Then I remembered and looked at it on YouTube.  Thank you for reminding of us of one of the greatest numbers in the history of SYTYCD.  Kupono was excellent as the addiction but Kayla (who I felt should have won that season instead of Jeannine) was beyond brilliant.  She gave a stunning portrait of what the tragic lives of hard core addicts are like and it was Mia Michaels at her absolute best as a choreographer.

• Useful 2

I didn’t like JoJo and Jenna’s Argentine Tango. It was too Fosse Jazz especially on the opening 16 or so bars before it finally threw in the Tango.  Of course James and Sharna came to mind and for me when I hear any Gotan Project it’s about a sexual tension that I just don’t get from two girls trying to be Gwen Verdun and Anne Ranking. If people are going to criticize Iman for lifts which are not only daring there’s no way any pro dancer would do them without the beginner demonstrating substantial partnering skills such as timing, musicality and finess, then I have no problem criticizing an Argentine Tango that has too much Jazz .  What Daniella has brought to DWTS is Cabaret Ballroom a legit extremely difficult style of ballroom dancing which depends on exquisite partnering to be successful. Nobody ever on this show has been successful on this style. It’s very much show dancing to the next level. Iman is such a refreshing change from the typical contestant with no dance experience because we’re witnessing a blossoming talent  for something he never knew he could do.

Edited by White Dog
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Don't forget about drag queen Courtney Act coming in second with her male partner in DWTS Australia 2019. That was one of my most favorite seasons of any DWTS ever. Perhaps it doesn't count as a same sex couple, but he came out of drag for at least  one  performance. 

She came out in drag for ALL of her performances. That's why I don't count their partnership as same-sex male. If I hadn't known she was a drag queen, I would have thought she and her male pro were just another opposite-sex pairing. I almost found her borderline offensive as a gay man myself for that very reason. Her doing it in drag gave it something of a minstrel-show quality that I didn't like and that to me made a complete mockery of the concept of same-sex partner dancing.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, MartyQui said:

I thought Iman was about 6’8”.  Scary to realize he’s only 3 inches taller than my niece (who, admittedly, is very tall).

Shump is a guard and they are generally the shortest (well, least tall) players on the team.  I think maybe 6'2" to 5" is about average.

He looks taller than that because Daniella is so tiny.  Not sure what her height is, but Pasha isn't very tall and she's appreciatively shorter than him.

The only decent NBA'er that I can think of in the past was Rick Fox, so I'm pretty stoked for him.  He's definitely had a better season than the Brooklyn Nets!

• Useful 3

Thinking about the tour...they always want the season winner to go on tour.  Iman is likely not go on tour, having a family.  Jojo and Cody would be the most likely since Amanda is a single parent with a regular tv job.  I'm not sure Jojo would bring in more Senior Citizens in the audience who are the most likely to go see the show...she could bring in a younger demo.  Who would Cody bring in? Peleton riders who in all likelyhood have been voting and not actually watching the show.

• Useful 1
45 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Thinking about the tour...they always want the season winner to go on tour.  Iman is likely not go on tour, having a family.  Jojo and Cody would be the most likely since Amanda is a single parent with a regular tv job.  I'm not sure Jojo would bring in more Senior Citizens in the audience who are the most likely to go see the show...she could bring in a younger demo.  Who would Cody bring in? Peleton riders who in all likelyhood have been voting and not actually watching the show.

But can they afford her?   She already does her own tour in bigger venues than the DWTS tour uses. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, twilightzone said:

I want to see Iman win. He may not be the best technical dancer, but a 6ft 5in NBA player? He's completely out of his comfort zone and his height is an obstacle. I also think he's grown the most.  That's truly the spirit of what DWTS should be about. 

Agree so much!! 

I want to him to win this season!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

People plan trips to the NY studio for live rides when there are live rides. Peloton has an annual homecoming event that people travel for. They have to limit attendees to 1 live ride and 1 other class because of the numbers that attend. And they have special outdoor classes that anyone can participate in. I can fully see Peloton riders going to a live show, especially if they can get a picture with Cody. 

I don't doubt that Peloton riders are not watching the shows, they don't have to. The social media keeps them up to speed on when to vote and how to vote. 

And Peloton riders have a good amount of income, especially the folks who own the bike or tread. You don't want to know the mad rush to buy apparel when the new line drops. There are facebook groups for selling the gear people buy to folks who didn't get into the store soon enough.   

Feel free to diss the Peloton folks but anyone who has an idea about the Peloton community saw this coming. 

I continue to be surprised that Cody isn't doing a better job with the dancing. I think it is crappy chemistry with Cheryl. They don't work well together. Cody is missing his normal playfulness and silly side. I have no idea what happened but this is the most reserved I have ever seen him and that kind of sucks. His schtik on the bike is not my thing but he has a ton of personality and is pretty charismatic.

• Useful 1

I follow Cody on Instagram and he is very funny and positive, but I guess I don't understand the constant comments about how Cody is not being himself on DWTS. He doesn't seem to be any different to me in the snippets that they show of him. That just sounds like excuses. His dance style did not translate well to ballroom, I'm sure that happens and it seems more likely that Cheryl just didn't click with him and has not been able to find a way to help him improve. That's a huge part of this, I mean look at Daniella, she has done wonders with Iman, who was not a dancer at all.

I'm super curious about how Cody feels. I know these celebrities go into this knowing that it's more of a popularity contest and are more interested in the exposure and pay that actually winning on merit. It must still be weird to still be in it and know everyone considers you the worst of the bunch and that better dancers than you have gone home. I know a few weeks ago he posted that he had gotten into a funk after reading some critical things about himself online, but then he turned it around in his Cody way. I'm sure he's thrilled at the following he has but I want to believe that if he saw the way that some of his fans act and the things they say, that we would be thoroughly creeped out. 

I don't think he will win over Jojo. She'd have to have a major fail to even be in danger at this point, her pairing being successful is too important to the show. 

• Love 1

I don’t know about a Iman and touring but his wife tours quite a bit. Also he’s a free agent like Rashad Jenkins was so if the Tour helps to promote Iman and his wife then who knows!

Edited by White Dog
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

People plan trips to the NY studio for live rides when there are live rides. Peloton has an annual homecoming event that people travel for. They have to limit attendees to 1 live ride and 1 other class because of the numbers that attend. And they have special outdoor classes that anyone can participate in. I can fully see Peloton riders going to a live show, especially if they can get a picture with Cody. 

I don't doubt that Peloton riders are not watching the shows, they don't have to. The social media keeps them up to speed on when to vote and how to vote. 

And Peloton riders have a good amount of income, especially the folks who own the bike or tread. You don't want to know the mad rush to buy apparel when the new line drops. There are facebook groups for selling the gear people buy to folks who didn't get into the store soon enough.   

Feel free to diss the Peloton folks but anyone who has an idea about the Peloton community saw this coming. 

I continue to be surprised that Cody isn't doing a better job with the dancing. I think it is crappy chemistry with Cheryl. They don't work well together. Cody is missing his normal playfulness and silly side. I have no idea what happened but this is the most reserved I have ever seen him and that kind of sucks. His schtik on the bike is not my thing but he has a ton of personality and is pretty charismatic.

Lol, this is funny to me because the reason I know Cody is from dropping in to those live rides in the city a few years ago. They were on ClassPass like any other spin studio and not that hard to get into, you knew you were being filmed but they only went out to like, a few people in Miami and/or Jersey who had bought the bikes. Obviously I’ve known it’s grown since then but it’s kind of mind blowing to see it. 

I’m also surprised Cody’s personality hasn’t come out more. He’s known for being fun (that’s why I liked his classes) and his dances just haven’t been very fun at all. If I only knew him from this show, I’d think he was nice, but reserved and a little dull. Who knows, maybe they can still pull out a show stopping freestyle that finally lives up to expectations.

I was mostly joking about my conspiracy that there’s a brand deal between DWTS and Peloton, but I do think the demographic of Peloton riders would be like catnip to DWTS execs. Lots of women in their 30s-40s with disposable income? And Peloton gets a bunch of advertising and media coverage every week in return, what company wouldn’t want that?

(Though maybe someone needs to start some rumors among the Peloton peeps that if he wins he’s committed to the full tour, and that means he won’t be leading any rides for months. “You want him to win, or you want him around to help you with your fitness, Pelotonians? Eh?”)

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

That is insane to think the winner needs to be someone that would be available to go on tour.

I don't know how many of them live in LA but they all were able to make it there.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, nomodrama said:

I follow Cody on Instagram and he is very funny and positive, but I guess I don't understand the constant comments about how Cody is not being himself on DWTS. He doesn't seem to be any different to me in the snippets that they show of him. That just sounds like excuses. His dance style did not translate well to ballroom, I'm sure that happens and it seems more likely that Cheryl just didn't click with him and has not been able to find a way to help him improve. That's a huge part of this, I mean look at Daniella, she has done wonders with Iman, who was not a dancer at all.

I'm super curious about how Cody feels. I know these celebrities go into this knowing that it's more of a popularity contest and are more interested in the exposure and pay that actually winning on merit. It must still be weird to still be in it and know everyone considers you the worst of the bunch and that better dancers than you have gone home. I know a few weeks ago he posted that he had gotten into a funk after reading some critical things about himself online, but then he turned it around in his Cody way. I'm sure he's thrilled at the following he has but I want to believe that if he saw the way that some of his fans act and the things they say, that we would be thoroughly creeped out. 

I don't think he will win over Jojo. She'd have to have a major fail to even be in danger at this point, her pairing being successful is too important to the show. 

I have seen none of Cody's sassy, playful, foul mouthed self in his dances. I get the lack of a foul mouth but he is nowhere near as on as I see him on rides. I don't ride him because he is too over the top and if I hear about Britney or the Backstreet Boys being so much better than N'Sync one more time... 

He is lack the shock value that pops in rides. He is lacking his flamboyance. 

His practice packages have shown glimpses but really, not that much. 

9 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Lol, this is funny to me because the reason I know Cody is from dropping in to those live rides in the city a few years ago. They were on ClassPass like any other spin studio and not that hard to get into, you knew you were being filmed but they only went out to like, a few people in Miami and/or Jersey who had bought the bikes. Obviously I’ve known it’s grown since then but it’s kind of mind blowing to see it. 

I’m also surprised Cody’s personality hasn’t come out more. He’s known for being fun (that’s why I liked his classes) and his dances just haven’t been very fun at all. If I only knew him from this show, I’d think he was nice, but reserved and a little dull. Who knows, maybe they can still pull out a show stopping freestyle that finally lives up to expectations.

I was mostly joking about my conspiracy that there’s a brand deal between DWTS and Peloton, but I do think the demographic of Peloton riders would be like catnip to DWTS execs. Lots of women in their 30s-40s with disposable income? And Peloton gets a bunch of advertising and media coverage every week in return, what company wouldn’t want that?

(Though maybe someone needs to start some rumors among the Peloton peeps that if he wins he’s committed to the full tour, and that means he won’t be leading any rides for months. “You want him to win, or you want him around to help you with your fitness, Pelotonians? Eh?”)

Cody has been doing rides from LA during the show. I am not sure if they are from his house or the LA showroom. They figured out rides from instructors homes during the Pandemic. They shot at the instructors house for around 6 months. We got to meet their dogs, especially during the strength and yoga classes, see how many of them were awful at keeping houseplants alive, and all sorts of other fun. They can also do rides from showrooms,  which I am pretty sure the showrooms would absolutely love. It would be worth shutting down a showroom for a few hours to shoot a few classes and then have a meet and greet with Cody. They would sell a ton of merchandise and I bet friends would bring friends who might buy bikes or treads. 

If they are not planning on more dance cardio classes with Cody then they are bat shit crazy. 

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, twilightzone said:

JoJo and Amanda are ringers - they have had professional training as dancers.  Their level of dance experience unfairly stacks the deck.

I am rooting for Iman as well. JoJo has been dancing since she was a small child (I watched her on Dance Moms). Amanda has almost two decades of dancing under her belt, if not longer.

I know it's not apples to apples in terms of ballroom dancing, but they have a literal leg up, being used to choreography and counts and beats and rhythm. 

I would much rather see a true novice win the competition. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I am rooting for Iman as well. JoJo has been dancing since she was a small child (I watched her on Dance Moms). Amanda has almost two decades of dancing under her belt, if not longer.

I know it's not apples to apples in terms of ballroom dancing, but they have a literal leg up, being used to choreography and counts and beats and rhythm. 

I would much rather see a true novice win the competition. 

And someone who really improved and progressed each week.  That should be whole point of the show! That is Iman!

Edited by Rightside
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 11/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, kitcloudkicker said:

If Iman doesn’t win it’s because he’s too cool for this show. If Cody wins it proves no one who actually watches this show actually votes, and if you have a rabid fan base coming in you can stand around onstage and still win.

I’ve already mentioned what drives me nuts about Cody still being in but the overlying thing is — he’s supposed to have this big flamboyant personality, and I know he has SOME because I’ve taken his classes and found them fun — but we haven’t even seen ANY of it on the show. He’s been presented as this piece of cardboard that huffs and puffs while Cheryl half-assedly dances around him and where is the fun guy that’s supposed to be there?? Is he just super nervous? Do he and Cheryl hate each other?? Why does no one coach him on performance the way they did with Suni? I could forgive some of the weaker dancing if he was giving more dynamic performance energy but we’re getting neither from him. It’s going to be so unsatisfying if/when he wins.

It sucks to lose Suni the moment she seemed like she was finding her groove and actually having fun. (Also, I’m sad she said she didn’t have anyone to talk to about her sudden fame. I’m going to need the other former gymnast gold medalists to start a group chat with Suni asap.)

I won’t miss Melora. She was getting on my nerves, her personality getting a little to close to her Jan character.

Yeah, I can't find any connection to Cody through his persona on this show so the existence of this rabid fanbase is puzzling. But the palpable lack of chemistry is making this partnership a real slog to watch. A show that could make Nancy effing Grace seem human (through the adorable partnership with the sorely missed Tristan) is not giving me any such insight into who Cody is.

Cheryl makes some half-hearted attempts to break news to him in an enthusiastic way and his response is totally flat. At one point last night, she literally lifted his arm and put it around herself, she's been in the DWTS game a long time and knows that even a fake show of partnership beats nothing at all, but Cody definitely isn't trying very hard to fake it.

I'm baffled by the unanimous choice to save Amanda over Suni after pumping Suni full of hope about her momentum peaking at the right time and praising her progress. It also seemed like the judges were preparing Amanda for send-off with their comments "no matter what, you'll always have that moment." 

It was evident that judging Amanda's last dance was going to be impossible and for her to go home right after would be awkward, so I thought their remarks did a nice job of resolving that conflict for when that time came. Except then they had the decision in their hands and they chose to keep her.

I've been saying for weeks that I was ready to see Suni go, until last night when she had a 2nd week in a row of seeming to break out of her shell and it was so much less awkward to watch her now that she was showing signs of true development in confidence and showmanship. The show seemed to be genuinely helping her find herself and I'm sad the judges chose to close the door in favor of Amanda, who while a good dancer, hasn't really changed or grown. She came in a good dancer and a formed personality and she's the same, one moving dance doesn't change that.

So glad Iman made it to the end, he's my favorite of the season. Such a great attitude and so willing to work hard. Daniella's bravery in doing those lifts shows a tremendous trust in Iman and their partnership has been really fun to watch.

I also wouldn't be too mad at a JoJo and Jenna win, they really have had some phenomenal performances. And Grandma Joanie won me over to JoJo's side (whereas Stage Ma & Pa from a few weeks ago were a turn off), her grandma was so sweet.

I had liked Melora at the beginning, but she was starting to annoy me a bit by the end. And something seemed off with the partnership with Artem in the past couple of weeks, he seemed very flat and over it. Earlier on, their partnership seemed genuine, but something changed along the way. She also looked pretty pissed to be eliminated. Disappointed of course, but maybe a little more angry than the situation warranted. The odds were stacked against her in this group, there are just too many strong performers in this one group.

If after all the great performances and great stories of this very talented group, it comes down to a bunch of Peloton riders catapulting one of the biggest disappointments of the season to a win, that'll be a real letdown.

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I'm baffled by the unanimous choice to save Amanda over Suni after pumping Suni full of hope about her momentum peaking at the right time and praising her progress. It also seemed like the judges were preparing Amanda for send-off with their comments "no matter what, you'll always have that moment." 

It was evident that judging Amanda's last dance was going to be impossible and for her to go home right after would be awkward, so I thought their remarks did a nice job of resolving that conflict for when that time came. Except then they had the decision in their hands and they chose to keep her.

I've been saying for weeks that I was ready to see Suni go, until last night when she had a 2nd week in a row of seeming to break out of her shell and it was so much less awkward to watch her now that she was showing signs of true development in confidence and showmanship. The show seemed to be genuinely helping her find herself and I'm sad the judges chose to close the door in favor of Amanda, who while a good dancer, hasn't really changed or grown. She came in a good dancer and a formed personality and she's the same, one moving dance doesn't change that.

I had liked Melora at the beginning, but she was starting to annoy me a bit by the end. And something seemed off with the partnership with Artem in the past couple of weeks, he seemed very flat and over it. Earlier on, their partnership seemed genuine, but something changed along the way. She also looked pretty pissed to be eliminated. Disappointed of course, but maybe a little more angry than the situation warranted. The odds were stacked against her in this group, there are just too many strong performers in this one group.

If after all the great performances and great stories of this very talented group, it comes down to a bunch of Peloton riders catapulting one of the biggest disappointments of the season to a win, that'll be a real letdown.

Here's an article about Melora and Suni's responses.  https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/dwts-melora-hardin-suni-lee-react-to-judges-ruling-after-elimination/

I also liked Melora at the beginning.  However, her personality has been annoying the last three weeks.  She wouldn't shut up.  I was not disappointed in the show cutting her off to get judges' scores.

Also, I didn't think she was very good last night.  Her rumba was stiff.  Since there were four contemporaries, it was difficult not to compare them.  Melora and Artem did have a bad song for contemporary.  To make it worse, Artem is not a good contemporary choreographer since that's not his specialty.  With boring choreography, I just saw bad technique from Melora.  I know this show doesn't really judge contemporary and jazz that strictly, but it's something that I noticed.  She shouldn't complain because I would have given lower scores based on technique.

I have a soft spot for Suni.  I wish she made the finals over Cody.  I would also rather have her in the finals instead of Amanda since a lot of times, I don't feel anything when Amanda dances even though she's technically good.  With that said, I didn't like Sasha's choreography in her contemporary either.  I wasn't even going to compare it against SYTYCD's Gravity which is iconic.  There was too many gymnastics tricks in there which took away from the dance.  I did want them in the finals with both of them doing gymnastics but to an upbeat song not contemporary.  Suni did dance well both in technique and performance-wise.  I'm glad she was starting to enjoy herself.

Jenna and Jojo's contemporary was outstanding in choreography, technique, and performance.  Yes, Jojo is trained but she has also grown.  You can see the difference in both ATs.  She has grown from a child dancer to a more mature dancer that is not afraid to do dances with sexual overtones.  She was always good at attacking dances but she learned dynamics and toned down & softened at appropriates places too. 

Of course, Amanda was going to get perfect scores for her contemporary.  She was always good with classical technique.  This dance allowed her to express her emotions too.

• Love 2

Thank you for reminding of us of one of the greatest numbers in the history of SYTYCD.  Kupono was excellent as the addiction but Kayla (who I felt should have won that season instead of Jeannine) was beyond brilliant.  She gave a stunning portrait of what the tragic lives of hard core addicts are like and it was Mia Michaels at her absolute best as a choreographer.

Oh man, I still remember that dance. . . it was stunning.  

For some reason, I had the John Mayer song Gravity in my head (sung by Sara Bareilles lol, sorry, I don't sleep well). 

I'm with some of y'all. I think Iman should win because he comes in with no dance training (to my knowledge). Poor Cody reminds me of the cousin that dances the cha-cha with you at the wedding while he's counting the steps.  And Jojo and Amanda are professional dancers.  I would take a less polished amateur over somebody who has been training for years as a dancer (gymnastics doesn't count because it's a different skill set).  

Finally, I'm just relieved the winner won't be a member of the Bachelor/Bachelorette enterprise!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I don't ride him because he is too over the top and if I hear about Britney or the Backstreet Boys being so much better than N'Sync one more time... 

Well then, maybe I'm not as upset about the inevitable Cody win as I thought I was lol.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

Here's an article about Melora and Suni's responses.  https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/dwts-melora-hardin-suni-lee-react-to-judges-ruling-after-elimination/

I also liked Melora at the beginning.  However, her personality has been annoying the last three weeks.  She wouldn't shut up.  I was not disappointed in the show cutting her off to get judges' scores.

Also, I didn't think she was very good last night.  Her rumba was stiff.  Since there were four contemporaries, it was difficult not to compare them.  Melora and Artem did have a bad song for contemporary.  To make it worse, Artem is not a good contemporary choreographer since that's not his specialty.  With boring choreography, I just saw bad technique from Melora.  I know this show doesn't really judge contemporary and jazz that strictly, but it's something that I noticed.  She shouldn't complain because I would have given lower scores based on technique.

Wow, that article was something else. I had only found Melora mildly annoying by the end and like I said earlier, she seemed angrier than necessary given that the competition was so stiff. But that article made her sound truly obnoxious and arrogant "all the pros told me they'd never seen a female dance the rumba that beautifully"?? Really?

Contrast that with Suni's "I'm disappointed but really happy with the experience and what it's done for me" [paraphrased] Now I'm extra disappointed that Suni didn't get to compete in the finale.

Of course, Amanda was going to get perfect scores for her contemporary.  She was always good with classical technique.  This dance allowed her to express her emotions too.

The combination of the dance being in her wheelhouse plus the obvious emotional investment made for a lovely dance. Because Amanda has such a practiced and pleasant public face, it's hard to remember how recent her tragedy is. At the beginning of 2020, she had a young, healthy husband and a baby and by July she was a widow after a prolonged period of uncertainty. This was the first time her emotions really showed through and it was affecting and moving. However, taking the entirety of the competition into account, Suni showed so much more growth and it seems to have come down to the timing of Amanda's one big moment in the arc of the show that she ended up staying.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I wouldn't feel too sorry for Suni. She is going to get a lot of money in endorsements and professional tours. She's also going to college (good for her).

LOL at Melora acting like this show was some huge deal. She was there because she's too washed up to get a real acting gig. It makes you wonder why a rising star like Jojo is doing this show. I don't know if she will win, but she is going to be an A-lister like Zendaya and Normani in spite of dwts, not because of it.

• Useful 1

Melora's quote is so funny. No wonder Artem was looking a bit tired. I think Melora danced beautifully and arguably deserved the finals as much as anyone, but there have been way more memorable rumbas. 

I'm happy for Suni that she knows she had a breakthrough in the last several weeks and ended on a strong note. 

• Love 4

I think Melora left out the qualifier that she danced the Rumba the best for someone of her age.   Unfortunately for her, grading is not on a curve.  

I really liked her at first, but not so much the last few weeks. 

Im good with either Iman or JoJo winning.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Melora's quote is so funny. No wonder Artem was looking a bit tired. I think Melora danced beautifully and arguably deserved the finals as much as anyone, but there have been way more memorable rumbas. 

I'm happy for Suni that she knows she had a breakthrough in the last several weeks and ended on a strong note. 

Maybe Artem started getting tired because she would never shut up. :) Last week, I mentioned wanting Jojo, Iman, and Suni in the finals.  With Amanda or Melora taking the fourth spot, so I did think she was a good dancer.  This season had a lot of decent to good dancers.

I hope Iman or Jojo win.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

It makes you wonder why a rising star like Jojo is doing this show. I don't know if she will win, but she is going to be an A-lister like Zendaya and Normani in spite of dwts, not because of it.

Perhaps she saw it as a way to transition her image from a child star to a mature dancer.  There is certainly a huge difference between what we have seen of the two, and this is a good platform to do it on.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

Perhaps she saw it as a way to transition her image from a child star to a mature dancer.  There is certainly a huge difference between what we have seen of the two, and this is a good platform to do it on.

She's also got some new show on E! (Siwa's Dance Pop Revolution!!!) that's a mix of competition and Dance Moms-type drama.  

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

She's also got some new show on E! (Siwa's Dance Pop Revolution!!!) that's a mix of competition and Dance Moms-type drama.  

So being on DWTS is good marketing for her.  Before this, I had never heard of her.

• Love 3
On 11/15/2021 at 10:44 PM, White Dog said:

I was disappointed to see Suni go over Amanda. Growth vs some sort of loyalty to a man a really fine actor  who passed from Covid. I get it, lots of people are feeling that this year - And really Amanda shined when she danced in tribute to him in happy times as a married couple week 2 but since then she’s been awol and now I just think the show has no shame on milking this tragedy for votes. . This has got to be difficult for her but it’s unfortunate that an Olympian who finally found her mojo has that ripped away. I guess the judges would look like ogres if they let Amanda go after her dead husband dance. It just seems way too manipulative. 

They let James Vanderbeek go after his wife had a miscarriage and it was super sad.

• Love 1
On 11/17/2021 at 6:53 PM, DEL901 said:

I think Melora left out the qualifier that she danced the Rumba the best for someone of her age.   Unfortunately for her, grading is not on a curve.  

I really liked her at first, but not so much the last few weeks. 

Im good with either Iman or JoJo winning.  

Please let it be Iman that wins!

Edited by Rightside
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

my ideal finale would be Iman, JoJo, Amanda and Suni--but what I really cared about was Iman. I was so relieved when he was voted through. I just love watching him and really hope he wins. 

I am not the biggest Amanda fan but I was moved by her last dance.

• Love 3