Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Who Will You Be?

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A new group of interns start their first day with Devon at Chastain. Kit and Bell try to convince Conrad to come back to Chastain. The Raptor's mother ends up back in the ER. Leela and Padma deal with an unexpected visit from their parents.

Airdate: 11/16/2021

From last week's posts: "Thankfully, the long lost progeny was missing from this episode.  Looks like we won't be so fortunate next week. "

Well he's back and for the first 20 minutes this P.O.S. character has dominated the episode.

• Love 1

What's so bad about Trevor? Looks like his attitude has (or is about to) already gone way down. There has to be SOME drama, and if he's the one to bring it, better than some random character walking in the hospital on speed shooting up anything or anyone in his path.

• Love 5

Anyone else lose sound for the last 30 seconds or so of dialogue between Conrad and Bell?  I could hear the music just fine, and could see them flapping their lips, but no sound whatsoever on the dialogue (not just a case of the New Amsterdams, where the jazzy background music all but drowns out the dialogue).  I already had the closed captions on, so no harm no foul, but I'm curious to see if the problem was my local feed or the master!

Ok, I've hated the thought of seeing Trevor as a regular; however, by the end of the episode I didn't hate him anymore.  He's still going to be arrogant sometimes but now he realizes that Devon and AJ, in particular, aren't taking any shit from him.   I hope he doesn't revert back to being an asshole when he finds out that it was his mother--not AJ--who got him the gig.  Also, it's bound to come out that he's her son.

I was also worried that Neela's sister would be an annoying addition so I was glad to find out that she isn't.  She seems pretty cool.     

Edited by Crashcourse
Devon, not Ravi
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Ok, I've hated the thought of seeing Trevor as a regular; however, by the end of the episode I didn't hate him anymore.  He's still going to be arrogant sometimes but now he realizes that Ravi and AJ, in particular, aren't taking any shit from him.   I hope he doesn't revert back to being an asshole when he finds out that it was his mother--not AJ--who got him the gig.  Also, it's bound to come out that he's her son.

Who is Ravi? Devon Pravesh?

Leela’s parents were obnoxious to her. What parents in their right minds hassle their daughter over being a surgeon, of all things?! And it was so obvious her sister is the favorite. It’s irritating enough to be a woman, say something and be ignored, only to have someone else (usually a man) say the same thing a minute later and suddenly it’s the greatest idea since sliced bread. But to have your own parents treat you that way? WOW. But when her sister mentioned that she’d had leukemia as a child and it destroyed her fertility, it explained a lot. They were undoubtedly used to focusing on her because she’d been sick, and are also pinning their hopes for grandkids on Leela. Wouldn’t surprise me if that was also the reason Leela became a doctor.

I really enjoyed Devon coming down hard on Trevor for his arrogance. Even so, completely cutting him from the program right on the first day would have been extreme. Even Trevor deserved a second chance.

• Love 4

Seeing Devon reign in all those interns was interesting. I was wondering what year he was in since before this episode it seemed like the seasons were changing but his residency position wasn’t. Glad to see that’s not the case.

Trevor is annoying but not overwhelmingly so. Not yet. I hope they keep him toned down going forward because when he doesn’t act like a brat, he’s fine. He’s going to be pissed when he finds out it was Billie and not AJ who got him his position. Oh well, at least he’s working. AJ being his mentor is nice, I want to see more of together. And for some reason I thought AJ’s dad was still alive and caring for his mother. It’s too bad she’s on her death bed, I’m assuming that will his remaining arc for the rest of the season. That and Billie or Leela’s sister.

Who I didn’t know was sticking around. I like her, even if the rest of the family is a bit irritating. Leela excluded, of course. I liked learning more about both of them, and I’m glad they didn’t make her sister a doctor just to force a storyline for her at Chastain. Trever being there is enough, I like that everyone else’s family has other things going on. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, babyrambo said:

He’s going to be pissed when he finds out it was Billie and not AJ who got him his position.

He has no reason at all to be pissed if he was genuinely getting turned down by all other hospitals for a match. His mom saved his career. 

• Love 4
On 11/17/2021 at 9:05 PM, babyrambo said:

Who I didn’t know was sticking around. I like her, even if the rest of the family is a bit irritating. Leela excluded, of course. I liked learning more about both of them, and I’m glad they didn’t make her sister a doctor just to force a storyline for her at Chastain. Trever being there is enough, I like that everyone else’s family has other things going on. 

Then there was the time that Bell's stepson was a doctor at Chastain too.  

• Love 1
On 11/26/2021 at 2:23 PM, Crashcourse said:

I forgot but what happened to him?

The last thing I remember about that character was that he and his husband adopted a little girl who spoke little English and had some sort of medical condition (heart?).  I don't remember why he left the hospital. 

Three years seems like a really long paternity leave ;-)

• Love 1
On 11/28/2021 at 2:45 PM, needschocolate said:

The last thing I remember about that character was that he and his husband adopted a little girl who spoke little English and had some sort of medical condition (heart?).  I don't remember why he left the hospital. 

Three years seems like a really long paternity leave ;-)

I don't think they said why he left the hospital, or even that he did. They just have yet to mention him this season. Maybe he will show up again at some point? Or maybe the actor got another job?

• Love 2

I like Conrad and the reboot of the show but I wish they’d stop referring to him as though he’s a godsend to modern resident. 

Devon was given me Patch Adam’s vibes with his “our first job is to listen and honour the patient” approach.