Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
jewel21

S05.E08: Defend in Place

Recommended Posts

Quote

Bobby and the 118 race to save lives after an explosion rocks the hospital where Dr. David Hale is performing surgery. Meanwhile, Michael makes a life changing decision.

Airdate: 11/15/2021

Share this post


Link to post

So is Michael leaving the show? The end of episode highlight reel has made me concerned. 
 

I liked this episode more than the past few. Possibly because Athena was on less? I am glad none of the firefighters died trying to save that one brain surgery guy; otherwise the cost would have been too great. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I'm guessing Rockmund Dunbar is leaving. I'll miss Michael if that's the case.

Can he take Claudette with him (and leave her there)?

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

This felt old school 911. I highly approve but like others am sad that Rockmund Dunbar may be leaving the show.

I love Athena and Bobby and don't mind when she's the focus of some plot of an episode but the turn of this show feeling like a cop show these past few episodes bothered me.

Also, any show that uses That's How Strong My Love is by Otis Redding is a winner in my book..

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

This show used to fill a niche with its crazy calls and over the top stories. Now is just seems to aspire to be another serious procedural and we have enough of those. I’m so over these heroic montages set to music. The show isn’t even edgy enough to kill off the kid and the baby, or Michael's boyfriend or the patient he's operating on. Only the old man who was close to death anyway. And there seems to be a trend where they just center every episode around one big event rather than having multiple calls.

And hey Bobby, way to ruin Michael’s proposal there. Not to mention throwing a major distraction at the brain surgeon in the middle of an operation. Wow.

Ravi is a bit of a dud. I don’t see why they added that character, he doesn’t seem to have much personality.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

This felt old school 911. I highly approve but like others am sad that Rockmund Dunbar may be leaving the show.

I'm pretty ok with it to be honest. There's only so much room on the cast and the gay ex husband and his boyfriend have been a little meh. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

They don't say you're cancer free do they, IRL? I thought it was "in remission". But I could be wrong about that, I guess. 

This episode wrung me out. It felt more like the show it used to be, but I agree it would be nice to have fewer devastating over the top catastrophes and more episodes that are a bit lighter and sillier and with multiple, more routine rescues.

They showed David coming out of the hospital, but not the rest of the staff. I guess we're supposed to think they're safe, but it was weird that they didn't show them.

I agree the montage looked like a farewell to the character and the actor, which bums me out. David originally said he was going for a month or two, maybe longer. That to me implied he'd be back, and also a show like this surely could patch in some contact between them and the folks back home, and add some scenes of the Haitian rescue situation. It's the perfect set up for this show, for either a temporary leave or a reduced schedule with occasional remote footage. But that good-bye looked seriously final. 

I felt bad for the nurse who died in the blast with Parker and his sister. No one even mentioned her. Claudette didn't ask the kid if there was anyone else there, which would at least have given an opportunity to say "there's a nurse and she's dead!" OR... SOMETHING. Claudette really should have asked if they were alone.

The original blast was such an extremely careless set up, I was astounded. First of all, she dropped the tank and didn't check it after. Then, she didn't check to see what was causing the door to jam. Also, if that's all it takes to blow up an entire hospital, it would have blown a long time ago. But, again, this show is not about the realism.

 

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, possibilities said:

They don't say you're cancer free do they, IRL? I thought it was "in remission". But I could be wrong about that, I guess. 

I was glad they didn't say "in remission" because my oncologist told me 4 years ago when I asked if I was "in remission" that they don't use that term after I had stage IV cancer, like Rupert. 
"Cancer free" is the description of the follow-up tests (CEA blood test and CT scans). I think I've heard it applied more generally too.

 

44 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The original blast was such an extremely careless set up, I was astounded. First of all, she dropped the tank and didn't check it after. Then, she didn't check to see what was causing the door to jam. Also, if that's all it takes to blow up an entire hospital, it would have blown a long time ago. But, again, this show is not about the realism.

I thought the hospital floors and the hospital employee's shoes should not have been so slippery.
It was kind of an odd choice to have the same 8-year-old boy be the one who knocked over the flammable containers that spilled, but even odder to have that much flammable liquid in containers that were not securely sealed and securely positioned.

But Michael's boyfriend's choice to continue the surgery was probably the most mind boggling -- no pun intended.

 

 

4 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

Does anyone know the actor who played the cancer survivor?

Dorian Harewood (9-1-1.fandom.com/wiki/Defend_in_Place#Guest_Starring)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

What an emotional episode! It feels like the good ol’ 911 + Final Destination. Rupert, Ravi and Michael made me cry.😭

I hope Michael Grant isn’t leaving for good. Their family dynamic is one of the solid foundation that shapes this show. And Michael is a great, well-developed character. I will miss him and his interactions with Harry/May/Athena/Bobby.

6 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

Does anyone know the actor who played the cancer survivor?

Dorian Harewood

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was glad they didn't say "in remission" because my oncologist told me 4 years ago when I asked if I was "in remission" that they don't use that term after I had stage IV cancer, like Rupert. 
"Cancer free" is the description of the follow-up tests (CEA blood test and CT scans). I think I've heard it applied more generally too.

 

Thanks for the clarification. That's good to know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm bummed, I don't want Michael to leave. Also, kind of terrible parenting to leave the country for months on end a few weeks after your 13-year-old child (or whatever age he is, I'm bad at kids' ages) just endured a horrific abduction! "Harry approved it" wasn't really sufficient -- children usually aren't the most reliable sources on what they need after a trauma. And not even a moment of "huh, little weird, remember last time Michael proposed to someone?" It's okay to be legitimately happy for him but also bat an eye. A little nuance would be nice, but why am I asking for that from this show??

 

I miss Chim from the rescues.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I’ll miss Michael if he’s leaving for good. I liked the episode overall. I do disagree with David continuing surgery, especially after the patient got a clot. Not evacuating put a lot of other people in danger, not just the doctor

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

 

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I recognized him, but could not put a name to him. I checked out his IMDB credits (179) and he's been in a lot. I couldn't identify the particular show I know him for.

It certainly looks like Dunbar is leaving. I think that may be the longest and most elaborate send off montage I've seen. There was a little tear in his eye at the end of it.

I hope he's just leaving, and there's nothing more serious at hand (I guess his fictional story about the brain tumor has sunk into my mind as a real thing).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I suspect Michael is leaving for good. Rockmund Dunbar has been retweeting all the fond farewells. I'll miss him but I assume he's leaving by choice and I wish him well. The show gave him a really nice send-off. After years and years of drama he gets love and a new life of purpose. I mean the dude is an architect and Haiti needs all the help it can get.  

Normally I would hate that Bobby proposed by proxy but given what a crazy, beautiful blended family they all are, I'm good. Nobody knew if they were getting out alive and Bobby made sure that if something happened David would know Michael's intentions.

Here's what I didn't like: when David told everyone to evacuate as the fire spread, the nurse spoke for every one and said they weren't leaving. Now I'm fine with the first time she did that because she visually checked with everyone in the room and the fire was still a decent distance away but once people start breathing smoke and seeing flames, everyone gets to make that choice for themselves. I've been in a building fire and nothing and no one could stop me from leaving in that situation. When a fire alarm goes off, the last place anyone wants to be is between me and the exit.

Still don't care about Claudette.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

20 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

Well, I guess that confirms that for Rockmond Dunbar's exit. I'm surprised it was sorted out enough in advance and with so few hard feelings that he got such a warm goodbye!

Oh, well in that case, they should just recast him and bring Michael back in a few months "a changed man!" 

 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Much less sad about "Michael's" departure at the moment. I'm fairly surprised they gave him such a sendoff under the circumstances, but I don't pretend to understand anything about these choices. *shrug*

If this episode was meant to make me dislike Claudette less, it failed. I can't recall a more obnoxious addition to any show I'm currently watching than this one. Blech.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I am sad that Michael/ Michael Grant is leaving the show, especially under weird circumstances, but I am glad he got a sweet send off and a happy ending with his sexy brain surgeon fiancé which is at least a good ending for a character who has been through so much. It also sounds like they want to keep a door open i case he decides to come back despite his choice to leave, so he might yet return, at least for a guest spot or two. I do question him leaving right now a bit though, even considering the actor is leaving. Harry is doing better after his ordeal, but it does feel a bit weird to leave the country so soon after your kid was traumatically kidnapped. I will miss his dynamic with Athena and Bobby a lot, I love their unconventional family unit. 

The episode itself was actually pretty good, it was another high concept episode without a lot of fun rescues, but I still thought it was a lot more tight then the previous episodes, it had more of an old school 911 feel to it. Not much personal drama and with a great song to play us out on. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

If this episode was meant to make me dislike Claudette less, it failed. I can't recall a more obnoxious addition to any show I'm currently watching than this one.

I was just a little confused by this sub story - I actually respect the idea that even a hard ass like Claudette was overwhelmed at the idea that she failed to get an eight year old and newborn baby rescued, I just didn't think the episode needed the add on. And I was a little confused - was the woman who consoled her the social worker who worked with Wasshername's dementia ridden mom in season one and who helped Eddy with Chris in season two? Is she a 911 operator now? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Linda has always been a 911 dispatcher (in a recurring role), and displayed more kindness and regard than Claudette deserved. I didn't watch all of season one so can't speak to it, but I know the social worker is a different actress who hasn't been seen much in the past couple of seasons. 

This show always manages to make me cry. 

I was confused about Michael's departure while watching - not about the decision to go to Haiti, but the history reel.  I didn't think there was a reason he and David could not return, but then I read why Dunbar was leaving. The show still left an opening for him to return, otherwise, they could have just killed him off.  I don't see it happening given his objections to vaccination, but you never know. I mean, I can't imagine there is a lot of work available for the unvaccinated unless you're an A-lister.  But hey, maybe he's invested his money well. 😐    

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

My favorite part was the eight year old boy and newborn sister, that had me sobbing.  The story of the cancer survivor and nurse was good too.

I really question continuing the surgery in those conditions.  I have no idea what the alternatives could have been but what he did seemed really dangerous.

my least favorite part was Athena showing up to the scene.  She’s off duty, she’s not helping, she’d just be in the way.  then Michael flags down Bobby to go back in to save his partner.  As though the emergency services exist just for the needs of this family.  I think there’s been way too much of the family’s drama this season.  I’m a fan f Angela Bassett but I don’t like this aspect of the show.  There’s been way too much of it lately.  
 

I like the new guy, Ravi.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, marceline said:

I suspect Michael is leaving for good. Rockmund Dunbar has been retweeting all the fond farewells. I'll miss him but I assume he's leaving by choice and I wish him well. The show gave him a really nice send-off. After years and years of drama he gets love and a new life of purpose. I mean the dude is an architect and Haiti needs all the help it can get.  

Normally I would hate that Bobby proposed by proxy but given what a crazy, beautiful blended family they all are, I'm good. Nobody knew if they were getting out alive and Bobby made sure that if something happened David would know Michael's intentions.

Here's what I didn't like: when David told everyone to evacuate as the fire spread, the nurse spoke for every one and said they weren't leaving. Now I'm fine with the first time she did that because she visually checked with everyone in the room and the fire was still a decent distance away but once people start breathing smoke and seeing flames, everyone gets to make that choice for themselves. I've been in a building fire and nothing and no one could stop me from leaving in that situation. When a fire alarm goes off, the last place anyone wants to be is between me and the exit.

When that nurse volunteered everyone else to stay I really wanted someone to speak up and be like "no way I am out of here".

Also for a giant hospital I thought it was kind of weird that the maternity ward, the cancer treatment area and the OR were all on the same floor.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Linda has always been a 911 dispatcher (in a recurring role), and displayed more kindness and regard than Claudette deserved. I didn't watch all of season one so can't speak to it, but I know the social worker is a different actress who hasn't been seen much in the past couple of seasons. 

I thought it was a rookie wardrobe mistake that Claudette and Linda were both wearing red outfits (those weren't their uniforms, were they?)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I thought it was a rookie wardrobe mistake that Claudette and Linda were both wearing red outfits (those weren't their uniforms, were they?)

I’m not certain, but I think I remember on the first episode Claudette was in, somebody said she didn’t wear a uniform.  I guess she’s just that “special”.  
linda had on a polo shirt, I think.  That’s basically the uniform isn’t it?  

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Linda was wearing her uniform shirt. Claudette was in her 'I'm better than everyone' non uniform.

Edited by anna0852
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Linda was wearing her uniform polo shirt. Claudette was in her 'I'm better than everyone non uniform'.

Probably not the case here, but:
For 17+ years I was employed as a librarian at a college whose colors were coincidentally red and black. 
I refused to pay exorbitant campus bookstore prices for a t-shirt with the College's logo, but I did buy quite a few red and black pieces of clothing to wear on "spirit" days. So maybe Claudette has financial difficulties and can't afford a uniform (and she's to proud to ask for extras, and everyone knows better than to offer)? Maybe she's a recovering addict of some kind? Or she escaped from a bad relationship? Or....?

Regardless, even though:

18 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

If this episode was meant to make me dislike Claudette less, it failed.

--I bet we should keep our tissue boxes handy for some heart-wrenching reveal.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

--I bet we should keep our tissue boxes handy for some heart-wrenching reveal.

I can't imagine what it would be that would justify her being such a haughty bitch. Everybody has a story - doesn't give one the right to be nasty to those around you, especially to someone who has done you no harm (and unless there is some bizarre reveal, you don't even know beyond 'young, pretty and competent'). Honestly, it's really the whole 'I don't wear a uniform' thing that bugs me the most. That outfit she had on did not seem appropriate for her job setting and position at all.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I was sad that Michael seemed to be leaving the show until I found out about Rockmond Dunbar's failure to vaccinate.  Supposedly, both of his attempts to get an exemption failed, leading me to assume the attempts were not valid.  If so, I find it terribly unconscionable. 

I have a child that couldn't receive one of his childhood vaccines (35 years ago) and was told by his pediatrician that it would be okay because of herd immunity.  I guess those days are over.  People with legitimate exemptions are no longer safe.

  • Like 15
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, dshgr said:

I was sad that Michael seemed to be leaving the show until I found out about Rockmond Dunbar's failure to vaccinate.  Supposedly, both of his attempts to get an exemption failed, leading me to assume the attempts were not valid.  If so, I find it terribly unconscionable. 

I have a child that couldn't receive one of his childhood vaccines (35 years ago) and was told by his pediatrician that it would be okay because of herd immunity.  I guess those days are over.  People with legitimate exemptions are no longer safe.

Good luck getting show insurance if all the actors and crew are not vaccinated.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I just checked the outfits in the episode on Hulu.  Linda is wearing a regular button up shirt not a polo; it’s maroon and has the unit logo.  Claudette Is wearing a snazzy red plaid jacket over a red blouse, two gold necklaces, stiletto pumps…she’s actually pretty overdressed.  Also those false eyelashes that are twice as long as anyone’s real lashes (a trend I can’t stand).

at least this episode didn’t make me dislike her any more than I previously did.  No doubt y’all are right, there will be a backstory reveal on her.

personally I’m more interested to see Ravi’s backstory.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I liked the character of Michael and the actor's portrayal of him. I also enjoyed the complexity of Athena's family including her husband, ex-husband, and ex's now-fiance. The actor lost my respect for refusing to get vaccinated, however.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Chiming in to agree with many of the other posters.  I will miss Michael.  Michael and Athena worked hard to create a highly functioning extended family and it was really nice to see.  I also like this actor since seeing him on Sons of Anarchy back in the day.  However, given the circumstances I think he got a very charitable, open ended send off.  He must be pretty well liked to get that sort of farewell.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

It’s sad that Rockmund Dunbar’s choices got the actor who played his fiancé bounced, too.

My local FOX station played an ad right when Bobby opened the door to the OR and said “your husband” so I totally missed David’s reaction to that.  Dumb FOX.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I understand they needed this for rescue plot purposes but why in the hell would a nurse take the newborn five stories up to perform routine tests?  Maternity and the nursery (which is barely used these days anyway) were on the third floor. But the kid and baby and nurse were on the eighth floor?  That makes no damn sense.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

So sad that Michael is leaving -- he's my favorite character -- but Rockmund Dunbar deserves better than what little he was given to do on this show. The rationale was weak. Going to help hurricane survivors isn't a permanent gig. Maybe they think the show is winding down. 

I'm guessing we can expect "Ravi Begins" sometime soon?

On 11/16/2021 at 12:46 PM, gesundheit said:

Well, I guess that confirms that for Rockmond Dunbar's exit. I'm surprised it was sorted out enough in advance and with so few hard feelings that he got such a warm goodbye!

Oh well, this changes everything I just wrote. 

Edited by Jillybean

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I'm guessing we can expect "Ravi Begins" sometime soon?

Yep, I thought the same with the mention of his childhood illness. And assume they’re building to the same for Claudette.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Why is she still not in uniform?. I don't care who she is, she should be in uniform like everyone else. And I still don't give two shits about her no matter how much they try to make her sympathetic.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, toodywoody said:

Why is she still not in uniform?. I don't care who she is, she should be in uniform like everyone else. And I still don't give two shits about her no matter how much they try to make her sympathetic.

Why would 911 operators even have uniforms. They don't deal directly with the public like cops or mail carriers. And it is not even something like military people where some work out in the world and others don't so they all have have to wear the same thing. It seems weird when an id badge would work.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Why would 911 operators even have uniforms. They don't deal directly with the public like cops or mail carriers. And it is not even something like military people where some work out in the world and others don't so they all have have to wear the same thing. It seems weird when an id badge would work.

Right. I hadn't even thought about that even though my daughter doesn't have a uniform.
*googling*
The answer is: It varies. 

See https://www.quora.com/Do-911-dispatchers-wear-uniforms

And see also on Reddit's 911 Dispatchers forum (reddit.com/r/911dispatchers/comments/2gxsrs/can_we_talk_uniforms): 

 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Right. I hadn't even thought about that even though my daughter doesn't have a uniform.
*googling*
The answer is: It varies. 

See https://www.quora.com/Do-911-dispatchers-wear-uniforms

And see also on Reddit's 911 Dispatchers forum (reddit.com/r/911dispatchers/comments/2gxsrs/can_we_talk_uniforms): 

 

As a 65 year old woman, I'm a teensy bit offended - I don't wear polyester, I wear jeans. And it is interesting that despite being married one of the problems she mentioned with the last uniforms was that no one would hit on her in those pants (umm...workplace wear, right?)

But still valid complaints. I never had to wear a uniform for any job, for which I'm grateful.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder why the Claudette breakdown wasn’t witnessed by May. Seems like the typical teevee drama thing to do. That could’ve changed their relationship, either for better or worse. It would be nice to know that May witnessed her coming a little undone. Maybe they’re broadening the other woman’s character and sending May to college.

Share this post


Link to post

I remember in Claudette's first episode, she made a dismissive remark to the operator who brought her the good news about the kids: that she hadn't expected the woman to last. (And Josh said she still owed him $10 for that...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, kwnyc said:

I remember in Claudette's first episode, she made a dismissive remark to the operator who brought her the good news about the kids: that she hadn't expected the woman to last. (And Josh said she still owed him $10 for that...)

That's what flagged Claudette as a bitch for me. And I really wish Sue had been around to nip that in the bud.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size