Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Highway to Vail

• Start Topic

After the authorities leave Beauty Lab, shocked, the ladies move forward with their girls' trip. Back in Salt Lake City, Jen faces charges brought against her and the women are left questioning if they really know her at all.

Airdate: 11/14/2021

I don’t think Lisa narced on Jen. Meredith did, she sort of admitted it on WWHL. 
I love how Jennie is sitting there calming drinking  and eating Cheetos while Heather and Lisa are (fake) crying and freaking out. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 22

Lisa... I'm not surprised that Whitney is immediately casting blame towards her given their relationship, but the way Lisa started shading Meredith and implying she knows a lot about Jen's business before even talking to her is suspicious.

But these women do know that production could be the ones that tipped off the feds, right?

• Love 17

I’m impressed Bravo was there for the search warrant. I do feel bad for Jen’s kids but now the question is did Coach Shah know what his wife was up to? Was he part of this fraud? He had to know they lived way above what he makes as a coach. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 15

So all this went down in a matter of hours? Weird. I love how Meredith does not give a shit. At least most of these women think Jen’s  guilty right away unlike the Erika situation on Bev Hills. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Love 24

Meredith had zero reaction to hearing of Jen’s arrest. None. She clearly knew it was going down. Or, at a minimum, had read all of the stories or gotten calls and lied that she hadn’t. 

I don’t understand the crying and freaking out by the other ladies. Yeah I’d be shocked if a co-worker/friend was arrested, but would I cry? Probably not. 

Holy cow, after finishing the episode, I’m 100% convinced Meredith was either involved in the investigation or knew a whole hell of a lot about it! Very interesting! 

Edited by CSunshine76
  • Love 20
48 minutes ago, CSunshine76 said:

I don’t understand the crying and freaking out by the other ladies. Yeah I’d be shocked if a co-worker/friend was arrested, but would I cry? Probably not. 

But you probably don't LOVE! them the way these ladies LOVE! each other 😏. I know I haven't proclaimed my love for Mr P as much as these chicks do for each other in one season!  They LOVE! her!!! 😄

9 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Also - Lisa is the WORST amateur actress I have ever seen.  

Haha - putting her sunglasses on as she begins fake crying.  I know when I cry I take my glasses off!

How about old Mary - in one breath she says she feels BETRAYED and she knew Jen was always up to no good and she had no use for her.  As a rule people feel betrayed by those they are close to (LOVE!), not by known dirtballs.  Of course Mary seems to have an odd relationship with the English language, so who knows what she really meant 😄

• LOL 12
  • Love 8
45 minutes ago, StillHere said:

Whitney is such a snake and phony.

She knows an awful lot about how to run a fraudulent business to be some innocuous dumb blonde.

Heather was asked about this (Whitney) on WWHL, she said Whitney is actually very smart and knows a lot about business. And that she is not the dumb blonde everyone thinks she is. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 11
59 minutes ago, CSunshine76 said:

I can understand Heather crying, because she and Jen did seem to be good friends before the end of last season. I believe that Lisa was doing her patented fake crying.

Also Lisa, you are mic'd up. Everyone can hear you even when you put your hand in front of your mouth. 

I would love if Meredith was in on it all and tipped off law enforcement. It would make me like her more.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Mary always seems to be seated closest to the door. 
Really? You can get “red flagged” at Louis Vuitton for paying cash? 

I work at a department store that sells everything from basics and the high-end luxury items and just this week I found out that if someone spends over a certain amount in cash during a transaction (like an absurdly high amount, at least in the five figures), we have to document it because it could be money laundering. 

I still don’t really know what money laundering is or how this would work at LV, where you only have two weeks to return your bag anyway, but I still feel confident in this answer.

• Useful 14
  • Love 1

Mary, Mary, bug eyed and scary, the proper pronunciation of etiquette IS NOT ett-ih-quit. Perhaps you should focus on improving your command of the English language. You, scammer in the name of Jesus, mispronounce words and form sentences with disjointed thoughts quite often 🙄 You are most certainly not Emily Post or even pretentious Countess LuAnn so sit down and be quiet 🤫

Edited by HahYallDoin
Fixed an incomplete sentence. It’s Mary’s fault 😜
  • LOL 4
  • Love 14

So, Mary said she couldn’t sleep at night knowing she was defrauding someone…um….

also Mary said some awful things about Whitney and plastic surgery and aging in those texts, but that bathroom lighting was not forgiving.  She must be tipping someone well for her ITM lighting.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, StillHere said:

Whitney is such a snake and phony.

She knows an awful lot about how to run a fraudulent business to be some innocuous dumb blonde.

Eh, she wasn't describing anything more than what I have picked up myself watching HBO crime shows like Breaking Bad or Ozark. Plus she was actually reading all of the content in the news articles as opposed to the others who were freaking out and getting hysterical. Hat tip to Jennie for calmly swigging wine and munching on snacks while everyone else went apeshit.

Why the hell was Lisa calling all of her lawyers? Her fake-ass tears on the bus were even worse than last week's fake-ass tears.

I was sniggering away at Mary getting freaked out and claiming that she "couldn't sleep at night" if she knowingly defrauded vulnerable people. Uh huh. Riiiiiight. I think her wig reached peak awfulness this episode.

I wish they hadn't included that dumb footage of Meredith lounging in the bath (she must've been a prune by the time they finished filming that footage). It was unnecessary, and the tea she spilled on the missing item from her store (with video footage!) was VERY interesting. I want to know more about where they think Jen might have gone the night she ditched the uber that Heather had arranged for her. I don't think Meredith necessarily got the ball rolling with the investigation, but she may have contributed info at some point.

I did feel bad seeing Jen's sons being led out of the house by the cops. Those poor kids having to cope with a narcissistic psycho hose-beast like Jen for a Mom, and on top of everything else they get stormed on TV by an armed swat team. Who knows how much Coach Shah knew (I'm sure he must've known something), but I wish he had ditched her and run far, far away with their kids.

Next week's previews: Jen crying and whining to some lawyer that she "doesn't understaaaaand!!!". Her typical go-to response when she gets caught out. Also a phrase oft-repeated by Lisa. Hmmm...

• Love 23

I still don’t really know what money laundering is or how this would work at LV, where you only have two weeks to return your bag anyway, but I still feel confident in this answer.

Money laundering is when you have dirty (illegal) money and you "wash" it to make it clean (legal). If you had $150K in dirty money, you could make a bunch of small deposits in a bunch of different banks.  If you deposit $5000 into Bank of America, BOA doesn't care.  If you deposit $7500 into Suntrust, Suntrust isn't going to care.  But if you deposited the entire $150K into Capital One, Capital One is going to report you and your deposit to the federal government.  I want to say the trigger amount is around the $10,000 mark.

I just deposited a $200,000 check (for my job) last month and the teller had to get special approval from the bank manager to make the deposit.  The teller knew me, the bank manager knows me and they both knew who I was depositing the check for but still had to go through those procedures.

Another way to launder money is to buy real estate: Johnny is selling his house, I buy Johnny's house with the dirty $150K in a private cash sale, the bank sees Johnny get $150K because he sold his house and they keep it moving.  Later, I sell the house for $160K.  The bank sees the reason I have $160K is because I sold a house and they keep it moving.

You could also, as Whitney stated, wash that dirty money in a business, preferably one that deals with cash (laundromats, restaurants, beauty salons, service type businesses).

I would think the money laundering via LV / luxury goods would work like this:

• Buy the LV bag in (dirty) cash
  • Resell it 
  • Or she could have returned the bag for a refund

LV would flag it because if you were really rich and high rolling you would slam down your credit card to buy the bag, not slam down some cash.  Paying for handbags that cost thousands in cash is very suspicious.  I doubt she was reselling via eBay because I think after a certain amount eBay would 1099 you.

Jen probably had numerous bank accounts to wash the dirty money in that Coach Shah had no idea about and those accounts may not have been in her name.  She might have set up fake LLCs and the bank account was in the LLCs name.

• Useful 14
  • Love 6

Whew!  That was quite the episode!  I love how they showed how everything unfolded on the day of Jen's arrest.  It really was movie-like.  It was interesting to see how each of the housewives reacted to the news.  Meredith and her relaxing soak was hilarious!  Lisa definitely knows more than she is spilling.  Several of the housewives seemed to have thoughts that Jen was up to some shady business dealings, although I'm sure they had no idea it was this bad.  Can't wait to watch next week!

• Love 9

I thought it was interesting that they were talking about how you can launder money through setting up new businesses and they were all, "Ohhhhh, that's why she has so many businesses".  Meanwhile, Lisa has bragged all season about how many businesses she owns.  🤔 

• LOL 21
  • Love 3
Just now, greeneyedscorpio said:

I thought it was interesting that they were talking about how you can launder money through setting up new businesses and they were all, "Ohhhhh, that's why she has so many businesses".  Meanwhile, Lisa has bragged all season about how many businesses she owns.  🤔

Bingo. Also might be a clue as to why Lisa was so far up Jen's ass all season for seemingly no reason. I wonder if they had some sort of mutually assured destruction deal on their respective shady businesses. Also possibly why Lisa was panicky and yammering to her lawyers on the phone. Mary isn't the only other suspect one in this crowd.

• Useful 8
  • Love 12
20 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

Money laundering is when you have dirty (illegal) money and you "wash" it to make it clean (legal). If you had $150K in dirty money, you could make a bunch of small deposits in a bunch of different banks.  If you deposit $5000 into Bank of America, BOA doesn't care.  If you deposit $7500 into Suntrust, Suntrust isn't going to care.  But if you deposited the entire $150K into Capital One, Capital One is going to report you and your deposit to the federal government.  I want to say the trigger amount is around the $10,000 mark.

I just deposited a $200,000 check (for my job) last month and the teller had to get special approval from the bank manager to make the deposit.  The teller knew me, the bank manager knows me and they both knew who I was depositing the check for but still had to go through those procedures.

Another way to launder money is to buy real estate: Johnny is selling his house, I buy Johnny's house with the dirty $150K in a private cash sale, the bank sees Johnny get $150K because he sold his house and they keep it moving.  Later, I sell the house for $160K.  The bank sees the reason I have $160K is because I sold a house and they keep it moving.

You could also, as Whitney stated, wash that dirty money in a business, preferably one that deals with cash (laundromats, restaurants, beauty salons, service type businesses).

• Resell it 

LV would flag it because if you were really rich and high rolling you would slam down your credit card to buy the bag, not slam down some cash.  Paying for handbags that cost thousands in cash is very suspicious.  I doubt she was reselling via eBay because I think after a certain amount eBay would 1099 you.

Jen probably had numerous bank accounts to wash the dirty money in that Coach Shah had no idea about and those accounts may not have been in her name.  She might have set up fake LLCs and the bank account was in the LLCs name.

So the "dirty money" is always cash then?  How would they get cash from charging subscriptions or otherwise charging peoples' credit cards?  Sorry if it's a dumb question. 

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, greeneyedscorpio said:

Tonight on WWHL, they talked about how crazy it was for Lisa to have called 6 lawyers.  Heather said, if you have more than 2 attorneys, you need to get a better one!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, greeneyedscorpio said:

So the "dirty money" is always cash then?  How would they get cash from charging subscriptions or otherwise charging peoples' credit cards?  Sorry if it's a dumb question. 

I don't know much about the mechanics myself, but I'm guessing the ill-gotten gains are probably funnelled through a bunch of shell corporations first, and then sent out for "cleaning" by various methods. These scams were running across state lines, which is considered wire fraud, which is a HUGE big-deal sort of crime, and why the Feds & NY investigators were there to pick her up. And no doubt, there was all kinds of tax evasion chicanery happening as well - not sure if anything has emerged on that end charge-wise, but I'd think that would be inevitable. I'm sure Jen will feign ignorance about everything.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

• Resell it 

You are exactly correct! 

Teresa Guidice(RHONJ) in the first or second season went furniture shopping and paid with wads of cash. She bought her girls several thousand dollars worth of clothing in cash also. Her extreme lack of common sense and her gross habit of flaunting her wealth 24/7 period, but especially so when freaking cameras were rolling, was pure ignorance on behalf of the feckin’ eejits! Juicy Joe not having enough upstairs to give her a run down of  how to purchase items without drawing attention to herself and telling her to only shop when the cameras weren’t tagging along was the beginning of the end for them. 

i tell you, Jenny has ice water in her veins and Cheeto dust on her fingers as she swigs a beer on the bus. Meredith’s smirks and twinkly eyes as she talked to Mary and then the whole group about Jen resulted in the appearance of the Arby’s fluorescent tall hat to appear over her head. It was flashing ‘Brooks-ie is off limits, bitches!’ 😜

Edited by HahYallDoin
Brooks-ie not Brook-ie.
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3

Meredith being in the bath to greet her guests was so weird but made me laugh. She just doesn’t give a fuck. 

I don’t really care about Mary’s opinion about any of this. She is a pos like Jen who preys on vulnerable ppl. Just in a different way.

Good episode tho.

Coach had to know what was going on with Jens crimes. She was spending money like crazy.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, greeneyedscorpio said:

No---buying the luxury goods in cash is a way to wash dirty money.  For the scam, the dirty money is probably flowing into numerous bank accounts which is then washed into starting businesses (or buying real estate.  Cryptocurrency is another away people are laundering money.)

1 hour ago, Marley said:

Coach had to know what was going on with Jens crimes. She was spending money like crazy.

I don't think he knew the extent of it or benefitted from it or was involved in it or else the Feds would've picked him up too.  

For all we know, HE might've been the one who called the Feds.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Useful 8

He might not have known the extent of it or details but I think he knew something was off and didn’t really push for details. How extravagant their life was he couldn’t have thought they could be funding that with their jobs.

• Love 6

I don’t understand why it is a mystery why the police showed up at the bus.  They knew she was involved with the show because they had been tracking her for months if not longer.  They called up production to find out when and where she would be since theoretically they would have a definite time and place. Their other option is to do a home raid at the crack of dawn which is another way to ensure that the suspect will be where they are supposed to be. Logistically it is easier to to arrest someone if you can coordinate with certainty that they will be someplace at a specific time. It is not as if Jen is a violent criminal that they want to get off the street and are in hit pursuit and will arrest wherever and whenever they track them down. 

If you spend $10,000 or withdraw or deposit that amount in an account, the company needs to send notification to the federal government.  Also if you wire money through Western Union above $1000 or so, a record of he transaction is sent to the Feds and you need photo Id to send it. The amount is lower because it was historically used for anonymous shady transactions including money sent to suspected terrorist organizations. 

When I bought my last new car I paid cash for it and literally paid a portion in real cash. The salesperson told me that if I used more than $10,000 in cash it would be reported and so I gave him $9,999 and then paid the rest in a check and a credit card in the maximum I could charge so I would get points. 😂😂 My money source was legitimate but I thought why should I get my transaction on the radar if I could avoid it. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ I could have deposited the cash in my checking account and wrote a larger check but why should I go to the bank if I didn't need to. I was buying the car during Thanksgiving weekend and so I was putting together the amount needed to purchase it from various of my accounts - checking, credit card (paid off of course at the end of the month) and a large cash portion since I had cash in my home for some reason. I learned during the pandemic to keep cash at home because you never know when any kind of emergency will cut you off from ATM etc.

People pay in cash sometimes to avoid detection of what their income actually is. Criminals generate a lot of money and they have to figure out how to spend it without attracting attention. If you pay cash there are no records theoretically. Because otherwise the government can do forensic accounting and prove that you are spending way more than your income. As the cliche goes that is how they ultimately got Al Capone. So part of laundering money is turning excessive cash into income that you can spend without generating complete disbelief. Cash businesses can hide money but they can also be a way of claiming enough money to theoretically support your life style. 

Also the government will get you if you structure your deposits. If you have a lot of transactions under $10,000, it might trigger an investigation and you better be able to show a legitimate source of the income and your paying taxes. As I recall one of the politicians who was caught in a sex scandal was discovered because he had a series of suspicious deposits and withdrawals which triggered an investigation into potential money laundering. He wasn’t laundering money but was paying a lot of money to a high end madam. 😂🤷‍♀️

8 hours ago, amarante said:

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 5
  • Love 11

The FBI and HSI need to investigate Mary's makeup in that scene with Meredith in the bathtub. Did Mary start it and run from the FBI & HSI halfway thru application?

Mary's husband as saved in her phone: "Dad"

Lisa's husband as saved in her phone "RHOBH Husband"

Whitney was (I think she still is) a sugar baby?

So many nuances above and beyond the obvious and excellent drama!

Edited by Alonzo Mosely FBI
  • LOL 16
  • Love 4