Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/15/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Well, a lot of things have happened to Sunny over the years with people at ABC that would make her angry. First she was told she would be fired if she didn't accept the snowflake princess' behavior towards her, she was called a racial slur by that Fedida woman who worked for ABC, she was angry about her personal health information being outed on The View a month or so ago when the VP visited and the show was in chaos, not to mention she has to deal with Whoopi's ego all the time unlike the other women. I wouldn't be surprised if she's paid less than the other women on the show, too, even though she brings much more to this show than Sara does.

The truth is Sunny has always had her critics. So what, who cares, you can't please everyone. She and Ana are the only valuable co-hosts on this show after Joy to me.

She really has put up with a lot. The nicest person will have a hard time keeping a sunny disposition after all this, no pun intended. 

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

She really has put up with a lot. The nicest person will have a hard time keeping a sunny disposition after all this, no pun intended.

I agree,  I think she's reached her personal tipping point and the last thing she's about to put up with are anti-vaxxers. I know the feeling.  I've lost a few friends over this.  And I think she's reached the point where she's prepared to do that too.

• Love 18
Just now, SusannahM said:

I agree,  I think she's reached her personal tipping point and the last thing she's about to put up with are anti-vaxxers. I know the feeling.  I've lost a few friends over this.  And I think she's reached the point where she's prepared to do that too.

I don't blame you, and I'm so sorry. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

I think she's reached her personal tipping point and the last thing she's about to put up with are anti-vaxxers. I know the feeling.  I've lost a few friends over this.  And I think she's reached the point where she's prepared to do that too.

One of my best friends, known her since kindergarten, is an LPN. She and her family had Covid a couple months ago. Her mother died from it.  She took a leave of absence from her job because she is refusing to get vaccinated.   She lives in a state that has mandated health care workers be vaccinated. Honestly we talk a lot less than we used to.  I can understand Sunny not being able to consider Jed her friend anymore.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Question: and please forgive my ignorance.  Ok if 1619 was the first slave ship to the continent, what about that dumb ditty `in 1642...Columbus yada yada.

I’m not American, so other than being a neighbour have no real reason to know your history, but I’m pretty sure 1619 is referring to the introduction of chattel slavery, not Columbus ‘discovering’ an inhabited continent and declaring he’d found something new….

• Love 10
8 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

If Jed had said I am not going to get the vaccine and explained why and then said but for anyone who can get the vaccine please do that would have been one thing but for her to act like the vaccines don't work so why even get one is wrong.

That might have worked if Sunny didn't jump right in, talking over her and Joy didn't spread her own type of misinformation about the fact that some people can get COVID even after being vaccinated. Why is this fact surprising? Some people get the flu after getting flu shots. I got shingles even though I had gotten the shingles vaccine. It happens, but usually the illness is less severe in those cases. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

And, menopause.

Menopause symptoms can definitely cause someone to be irritable and snappish, in my experience. Maybe time to get Stacy London back on as a guest - or better, offer some of her menopause products as "deals".

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Rightside said:

Why did they get so derailed from talking about Jediblahblah's book to her not being vaccinated?

They've had other guests on remotely and it didn't become a vaccine blow up with them.

Jediblahblah's book didn't sound very interesting, more like a vanity piece. 

I know two people who cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons (one is a transplant recipient and the other doesn't make antibodies in response to vaccines, instead her platelet numbers increase dangerously because of a rare gene she carries) but they encourage everyone to get vaccinated, mask, sanitize, distance, take vitC, D, zinc & magnesium, exercise and eat real food. Neither boasts hyperbolically about their immune systems (which overreact). They mainly isolate at home and follow all precautions when going to appointments.

I don't recall other remote guests being anti-vaxxers; they were either too busy or too concerned about catching Covid during travel to attend in person.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, McKavity said:

I’m not American, so other than being a neighbour have no real reason to know your history, but I’m pretty sure 1619 is referring to the introduction of chattel slavery, not Columbus ‘discovering’ an inhabited continent and declaring he’d found something new….

Columbus's adventure was a failed attempt to find India, heading west instead of east. Since the Vikings were in America nearly 500 years before Columbus, how much longer will the US celebrate "Columbus Day"?

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 7

African slaves were brought to the first permanent English settlement of Jamestown in what would become Virginia colony. 1619. Northern colonies were not opposed to using enslaved people on their farms. Black women were easy targets of the witch frenzy a few decades later. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Black women were easy targets of the witch frenzy a few decades later. 

The most well-known Witch trials in the US were in Salem, MA. This was around 1692.* From what I've read, while Tituba, a slave, was originally accused of being a witch along with two other women (both white), she didn't get the death penalty, although she was imprisoned for some time. I haven't heard of other black women accused in Salem, perhaps because Tituba was more well known than they were. However, of the people who were found guilty and killed, most were white women, and a few white men were also killed. 

For people who wanted religious freedom for themselves, the Puritans tended to be hypocritical in their treatment of others who didn't toe their line or were different. 

*I edited this because I didn't pay close attention to the dates in question and so changed my sentence.

Edited by KittyQ
  • Useful 3

Me, being a low-key Swiftie, felt such ire at the disrespect demonstrated during the Taylor Swift segment. 

No one's forcing you to talk about every entertainment news story out there, show! 😤

PS: thus us all said/written tongue in cheek. But still!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

They spent way too much time on Taylor Swift.

And I'm not sure this is even something people are talking about.  I had not heard or read anything about it till they had it as a "hot" topic on the View.    So many other things to talk about and they chose this?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

They spent way too much time on Taylor Swift.

2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

And I'm not sure this is even something people are talking about.  I had not heard or read anything about it till they had it as a "hot" topic on the View.    So many other things to talk about and they chose this?

This is definitely Sara's wheelhouse.

• Love 5
On 11/16/2021 at 10:56 PM, Aileen said:

I thought the way joy and sunny acted towards Jed was appalling. Jed can be annoyingAF but as soon as she said that the vaccine’s purpose was to decrease severe severity/chance of hospitalization and that those with the vaccine can still contract it and spread, all of which is true and stated on the CDC’s site, Joy started yelling about it not being true.

(ETA: The whole multi-faceted immunity thing deserved a reaction.)

It's not true in that the way Jed stated it. She was misleading to the point that she lied during her segment on The View. Unvaccinated people are more likely to catch it in the first place, which Jed conveniently left out. 

In the states and countries where you about 50% of the cases are in unvaccinated people and 50% are in vaccinated people, you'll also find most of that population is vaccinated.

Let's pretend we have a small town of 1000 people, and 70% of the residents are vaccinated and 30% are unvaccinated, i.e. 700 are vaccinated and 300 are not.

Say this week 60 people in the town tested positive (30 vaccinated & 30 unvaccinated). The infection rates are different. 30/700 vaccinated people tested positive, or 4.29%.

Meanwhile, 30/300 unvaccinated tested positive, that's 10%.

Now I'm making up the numbers themselves, but it's a picture of what's going on in the real world, and it shows how Jed misrepresented the situation. Yes, vaccinated people can contract it, but fewer vaccinated people contract it than unvaccinated. If you don't contract it, you can't spread it. The unvaccinated are a greater public health risk to everyone.

In addition, per the CDC, the unvaccinated who already had Covid are more likely to catch it again, than vaccinated people. 

As to transmission, with the Delta variant, yes, vaccinated people are spreading it too, but they're contagious for fewer days and are less likely to spread it, according to the CDC. So not only are a smaller percentage of vaccinated catching in the first place, they're also spreading it less, and for less time, too.

I think Sunny and Joy were absolutely right to go at Jed for spreading false information. My only issue was with Sunny saying Jed was selfish for not getting the vaccine, because Jed said she couldn't get the vaccine.

Now maybe Jed is lying about that, and maybe if she is, Sunny knows she is, but Sunny didn't disclose that, so if the hosts were taking Jed at her word that she couldn't get the vaccine, Sunny should have stuck to debunking Jed's disinformation, instead of taking the personal shot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

Yeah, I would’ve liked to have heard what Sunny had to say uninterrupted on the Swift topic, silly as it all was. But I admit there was one part that I enjoyed as someone who has always found Swift’s Red album incredibly overrated: Joy read out part of the song—one that I’ve often heard Swift fans tout as one of the best of her whole career—and her only comment was how poorly written it is. That wasn't even shade, that was a dart straight to the face.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

And I'm not sure this is even something people are talking about.  I had not heard or read anything about it till they had it as a "hot" topic on the View.  

Wow! Your social media is very different than my social media. It's all I see, but it's also on all the entertainment shows,  snl, etc.

Yes, I agree it's Sara's wheelhouse and Whoopi and Joy should have let her tell the story instead of derailing the whole segment. 

Anyway, today's episode was ultra boring as evidenced by the amount of comments here.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Yeah, I would’ve liked to have heard what Sunny had to say uninterrupted on the Swift topic, silly as it all was. But I admit there was one part that I enjoyed as someone who has always found Swift’s Red album incredibly overrated: Joy read out part of the song—one that I’ve often heard Swift fans tout as one of the best of her whole career—and her only comment was how poorly written it is. That wasn't even shade, that was a dart straight to the face.

I've noticed that The View doesn't say nice things about TS. I recently saw a clip from 2017 where the ladies were really going in on TS over her controversy with Kanye and Scooter Braun. If you ask most people, she was the victim in those instances, but not according to The View.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, General Days said:

It's not true in that the way Jed stated it. She was misleading to the point that she lied during her segment on The View. Unvaccinated people are more likely to catch it in the first place, which Jed conveniently left out. 

In the states and countries where you about 50% of the cases are in unvaccinated people and 50% are in vaccinated people, you'll also find most of that population is vaccinated.

Let's pretend we have a small town of 1000 people, and 70% of the residents are vaccinated and 30% are unvaccinated, i.e. 700 are vaccinated and 300 are not.

Say this week 60 people in the town tested positive (30 vaccinated & 30 unvaccinated). The infection rates are different. 30/700 vaccinated people tested positive, or 4.29%.

Meanwhile, 30/300 unvaccinated tested positive, that's 10%.

Now I'm making up the numbers themselves, but it's a picture of what's going on in the real world, and it shows how Jed misrepresented the situation. Yes, vaccinated people can contract it, but fewer vaccinated people contract it than unvaccinated. If you don't contract it, you can't spread it. The unvaccinated are a greater public health risk to everyone.

In addition, per the CDC, the unvaccinated who already had Covid are more likely to catch it again, than vaccinated people. 

As to transmission, with the Delta variant, yes, vaccinated people are spreading it too, but they're contagious for fewer days and are less likely to spread it, according to the CDC. So not only are a smaller percentage of vaccinated catching in the first place, they're also spreading it less, and for less time, too.

I think Sunny and Joy were absolutely right to go at Jed for spreading false information. My only issue was with Sunny saying Jed was selfish for not getting the vaccine, because Jed said she couldn't get the vaccine.

Now maybe Jed is lying about that, and maybe if she is, Sunny knows she is, but Sunny didn't disclose that, so if the hosts were taking Jed at her word that she couldn't get the vaccine, Sunny should have stuck to debunking Jed's disinformation, instead of taking the personal shot.

PLUS, the small number of vaxxed people who contract covid are far, far less likely to end up in the hospital.  Jed left that part out too.

Oh, nice to see Abby. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8

Abby is just absolutely stunning! She could have been a high fashion model, she has the height and the look.. I have always liked Abby and I would not have a problem with her coming back..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 14

It’s funny how they tiptoe around mentioning SWSNBN but it’s so clear who they are referring to. She must have been even worse off camera if she is so universally despised.

Yes, Joy, I hate Grease because of the awful message that a woman has to change who she is to get a man. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It’s funny how they tiptoe around mentioning SWSNBN but it’s so clear who they are referring to. She must have been even worse off camera if she is so universally despised.

If they openly say how awful she was SWSNBN would just use it to further her always the victim narrative.  I'm enjoying the little digs they are all throwing out there.

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Yes, Joy, I hate Grease because of the awful message that a woman has to change who she is to get a man. 

That went right over my head the first time I saw that movie.  Saw it again years later and, yeah, hate it now.  Some stuff I can look away from and just say "historical context" or whatever.  This movie?  No.  

• Love 4

Yay, I forgot Abby was going to be on this week. A good end to this horrible week of shows. I really wish she'd come back to fill the conservative seat even though she doesn't really seem interested, I'll admit. She mentioned all the executives that bothered her before are gone (I'm assuming they were the powers that protected McCain constantly intervening at the show), so maybe that might get her to consider it. Even though I mostly disagree with her, she's someone you could believably be friends with despite disagreements. I always liked having someone from NC there, too, especially when they're nice and well-mannered. And all the co-hosts have been able to show more nuance in their opinions this season; perhaps she might get to be more herself if she came back now.

I agreed with the ladies re:Grease. The film definitely shouldn't be banned. As far as being a high school show, I suppose I can understand from the perspective of a principal or teacher that the story does end with Sandy changing herself--for the worse, imo--to get a guy. And since the story itself is set in high school (even if none of the actors in the movie actually looked that age, lol), I get why a school might want to avoid promoting that message to their own highschoolers via a show that would be put on there.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

If they openly say how awful she was SWSNBN would just use it to further her always the victim narrative.  I'm enjoying the little digs they are all throwing out there.

Hah! yes yes yes indeeeeeed, they do make me chuckle 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

That went right over my head the first time I saw that movie.  Saw it again years later and, yeah, hate it now.  Some stuff I can look away from and just say "historical context" or whatever.  This movie?  No.  

Same here but...what if....Sandy always was the slut on the beach, and changed into Sweet Sandy to catch her man. When she got him and realized she didn't need play, and when after Danny got his in and the he realized he wasn't either and ripped off his sheirt I believe

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I've never been a Grease fan, but I thought that the story was meant to be an showcase for 50's style singing and dancing and used the tropes from typical "teen" stories from that era to tie them together. As far as Sandy changing to "get" her guy, that seems like an over exaggeration of what many people do on a smaller scale - make small adjustments to become more in sync with their potential mate. 

I don't know that it was worth banning from high school since it has a lot of chorus work so more of the kids can participate.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

As far as Sandy changing to "get" her guy, that seems like an over exaggeration of what many people do on a smaller scale - make small adjustments to become more in sync with their potential mate. 

I LOVE the 1978 movie Grease.

And what everyone that criticizes this aspect of it (because that's all I've ever seen) and overlooks is that Danny decided to chuck his leather jacket and lettered in track--for SANDY. He says it outright: He loves Sandy MORE. Now the fact that Sandy decides to glam up or "tart up" is besides the point. She didn't need to change for him.

And basically, for me? It's a MOVIE. I love the dancing and singing and the cameos.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Abby is just absolutely stunning! She could have been a high fashion model, she has the height and the look.. I have always liked Abby and I would not have a problem with her coming back..

I always thought Abby was pretty, but she looked smokin' hot today! I can't believe she's had three babies not to long ago and has that figure. Good for her! 

I may not agree with Abby on some stuff, but I agree she's the type of person where if you can't be friends with her, you're probably the problem. She's a good girl. 

Joy made me lol with her perfect panel now joke. 

• Love 14
33 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I enjoyed the discussion about Mike the Cheater as much as the panel did. 😂 I just feel bad for the real owner of the car. 😳

If they ever figure out who vandalized the car, it is possible that the person Mike cheated on will have harsher consequences than he did. After all, he didn't even has his car vandalized; some random woman did and she deserves compensation for that. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Abby is just absolutely stunning! She could have been a high fashion model, she has the height and the look.

I agree - she reminds me of Christy Turlington. She does far better with lighter topics than politics but she seems like a very nice person. I'm glad she clarified that her issues with the show were with "the executives" and not the other co-hosts - I bet someone is seething after today's show. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

If they ever figure out who vandalized the car, it is possible that the person Mike cheated on will have harsher consequences than he did. After all, he didn't even has his car vandalized; some random woman did and she deserves compensation for that. 

Mike should be grateful that he's not married to Sunny. His car would be the least of his problems!

The gals teasing EP Brian over "world vasectomy day" was funny, too. Just a fun, relaxing show with Abby.

Edited by catlover79
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, thejuicer said:

I agree - she reminds me of Christy Turlington. She does far better with lighter topics than politics but she seems like a very nice person. I'm glad she clarified that her issues with the show were with "the executives" and not the other co-hosts - I bet someone is seething after today's show. 

I've been obsessed with Christy's face forever and don't see the resemblance tbh. Abby does however remind me a bit of a former Days of Our Lives actress. She played Abigail, coincidentally enough. Not saying identical, but like they'd be sisters or perhaps cousins.

kate-mansi-jill-johnson-days1.png?resize

• Love 3
On 11/16/2021 at 10:53 PM, ForumLou said:

Question: and please forgive my ignorance.  Ok if 1619 was the first slave ship to the continent, what about that dumb ditty `in 1642...Columbus yada yada.

I looked to see if this was answered, and I may have missed it. Columbus sailed in 1492 from Spain to "the New World."

And I'll have to read the book, but my understanding is that the 20 or so Africans on this ship were sold into slavery in Virginia (possibly bartered) but there were African slaves brought to the Americas earlier than 1619.

3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I always thought Abby was pretty, but she looked smokin' hot today! I can't believe she's had three babies not to long ago and has that figure. Good for her! 

Really. Wowza. She has the shiniest hair!

2 hours ago, After7Only said:

I thought i heard her say she lived in upstate NY, not far from Sunny.   

Is her husband an attorney?  I know Sara’s is and am thinking Abby’s is too?  Does he work in the city?

I always (from the first time I saw the movie Grease in the theater) thought a better ending would be Sandy saying nope to Danny and going off to college. She could do better. 

• Love 2
On 11/15/2021 at 2:24 PM, oceanview said:

The only bad thing about being Independent is you cannot vote in a primary, unless you designate R or D, for the vote and can immediately change back after if you want.    I would guess Independents get messages from BOTH parties. as I do have that happen regularly

As it works now, the primaries are supposed to be the election where the party chooses who their candidate will be. If a voter can't decide on a party, why should they have a say?

Not all states have party registration. In those cases, voters are instructed to vote only for candidates of one party (listed in separate columns.) If they cross over from one party to the other, the ballot is spoiled. But independent voters can participate, as long as they stick with one party.

• Love 2
On 11/17/2021 at 8:19 AM, SusannahM said:

She reminds me of every single person I know who refuses to be vaccinated against Covid. They acknowledge we are living through a pandemic and people are getting sick and dying but they then say they personally can't have the vaccine because -- reasons -- which would be fine if they didn't always follow that up with anti-vaccine paranoia and misinformation.

I would like someone to say what these illnesses are that can't get the vaccine.  I have looked.  If Jed is going to say she can't get it she needs to say why.  Otherwise it is just BS in my opinion.  I was so glad she didn't have her contract renewed.  

On 11/17/2021 at 2:34 PM, deirdra said:

Jediblahblah's book didn't sound very interesting, more like a vanity piece. 

I know two people who cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons (one is a transplant recipient and the other doesn't make antibodies in response to vaccines, instead her platelet numbers increase dangerously because of a rare gene she carries) but they encourage everyone to get vaccinated, mask, sanitize, distance, take vitC, D, zinc & magnesium, exercise and eat real food. Neither boasts hyperbolically about their immune systems (which overreact). They mainly isolate at home and follow all precautions when going to appointments.

I don't recall other remote guests being anti-vaxxers; they were either too busy or too concerned about catching Covid during travel to attend in person.

Thank you!  That answered my question about who can't get the vaccine!

• Love 2

I don't understand how anyone can see how well Fridays go with a perfect mix of political and light and not want that done every day....I like when joy moderates bc guests aren't afraid to spar with her or speak over her. Meanwhile every guest especially anyone auditioning must worship at the feet of Whoopi and let her ramble for the last 2 minutes of every segment...

• Love 16