Type keyword(s) to search

Hollywood Nepotism: The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Yeah Rob has talked openly in the past about his issues with letting his sons go.  Apparently Rob was a close involved parent when they were growing up and had real issues with them getting older, moving out, going to college etc.  As soon as I heard about this show I thought this is concocted by Rob to keep his sons close. 

On one hand, very sweet, on the other he needs to get some friends his own age and let his kids live their lives.

But where is Mr. Lowe going to find friends 'his own age' who also look the same age as their own kids? Perhaps the question will arise re whether the kids will be willing to stay pals with him when they start looking older than him.

• Love 1

I found this recent article about Wyatt Russell.

Wyatt Russell Was Born To Be A Movie Star

I've always thought he's been really smart about building his career, and I'm not surprised the hair and the beard are a calculated move on his part to stand out among the guys in age peer group. He's a good-looking blond guy, but not in a Ken Doll sort of way. He seems more like a regular sort of guy than someone who should be in the running for the lead on a CW show.

Playing a character type definitely helps him with continuing to get work, while at the same time allowing to learn more about acting. He might never hit the heights of his parents' career but he seems like he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders and realistic expectations.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I found this recent article about Wyatt Russell.

Wyatt Russell Was Born To Be A Movie Star

I've always thought he's been really smart about building his career, and I'm not surprised the hair and the beard are a calculated move on his part to stand out among the guys in age peer group. He's a good-looking blond guy, but not in a Ken Doll sort of way. He seems more like a regular sort of guy than someone who should be in the running for the lead on a CW show.

Playing a character type definitely helps him with continuing to get work, while at the same time allowing to learn more about acting. He might never hit the heights of his parents' career but he seems like he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders and realistic expectations.

I so agree.  I've been very impressed with Wyatt whenever I see him onscreen.  I really like the way that his career is unfolding.

• Love 1
On 13/8/2017 at 4:35 PM, JBC344 said:

I so agree.  I've been very impressed with Wyatt whenever I see him onscreen.  I really like the way that his career is unfolding.

I like the bit in the article about the advice his father gave him "Know your lines, backwards and forwards, know the tone of the movie, show up to work on time, and don’t be an asshole." 

• Love 16
On 8/7/2017 at 0:31 PM, Blergh said:

But where is Mr. Lowe going to find friends 'his own age' who also look the same age as their own kids? Perhaps the question will arise re whether the kids will be willing to stay pals with him when they start looking older than him.

He can always hang out with Ricky Schroder, who's going through the painful process of a divorce and has also maintained his boyish good looks into middle age. (Although he doesn't quite have the freakish youth of Rob Lowe, probably due to the fact that he lives an outdoor ranch lifestyle.) Ricky did a few projects with his kids but his one daughter seems pretty stiff. Pretty girl (well duh, Ricky's kids are all pretty good-looking) but stiff.

I watched the Lowe Files. I enjoyed it- his kids are pretty likeable. The younger one might have a decent chance after all. Charisma and innate likeability are two things that are pretty much inherited and can't be bought or taught.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
On 8/6/2017 at 9:52 PM, Scarlett45 said:

He does look like his grandfather. Between the last name and his face I said to myself "Atticus Finch!"  

Ethan really strikes me as the kind of guy that will just get sexier and better with age, like his grandfather. I can see him taking off in his late 30's/early 40's.

Anyway, Maya Hawke just got herself cast in Stranger Things.

stranger-things-maya-thurman-hawke-15201

I think she looks like her mother crossed with 1990's Sarah Polley, which makes me smile. Hopefully she can act.

• Love 2

You can definitely tell who her mother is. Apparently, she was in the BBC adaptation of Little Women last year, and I definitely recall hearing some good things about that. 

It's making me feel old though, seeing Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman's daughter as an adult actress. Along with Andie MacDowell's daughter and Kiefer Sutherland's daughter.

• Love 4
(edited)

Let's hope that Andie MacDowell's daughter got her acting skills from someone else. Sorry to be bitchy but man I will never for the life of me get why Andie had such a hot career back in the 80's and the 90's.  I guess being nice, gorgeous, and having a luminescent smile really can get you places. I don't actively hate her presence in movies but I'm just baffled by it. Her current fame level of Hallmark movies makes so much more sense than the period of time where she was actually edging on A-list/B-list.

Maya's features are very similar but Uma was much more gaunt.

Now that the 50 Shades movies are done, I'm wondering what's next for Dakota Johnson. She definitely is someone I think really would benefit from a resurgence of romantic comedies, but for now it's not where the reliable box office is at. Horror and action seem to be where it's at. It looks like she's trying horror with her remake of Suspira.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Let us never forget that in The Legend of Tarzan, Andie McDowell had to be dubbed by Glenn Close.

But that was only because her South Carolina accent was still too thick at the time; I think that was her first movie. 

For what it's worth, she's perfectly fine in Groundhog Day. It's Four Weddings and a Funeral that is cringeworthy as far as her acting goes. (And the kinder side of me wants to blame that on her being a very last minute replacement for the original actress, which was what had happened there...even though I probably shouldn't. I DO think she and Hugh Grant had chemistry, though, her bad acting aside.)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

Hm. I don't have a strong opinion on Andy McDowell. She was the main character in one of my favorite movies, Sex, Lies, and Videotape and she was excellent in it.

I've only seen Four Weddings... once and I don't remember much of it. This is the romcom that made Hugh Grant's career, wasn't it? Without this discussion, I wouldn't even remember her being in it. So, I guess, for me, she wasn't memorably bad.

• Love 8

Was never really crazy about Andie McDowell over the years, but I do have to say I really enjoyed her in Magic Mike XXL.  I found her presence in the movie really charming and a nice surprise and counter balance to the energy of the men.

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I honestly don't think anyone could pull off that fucking line.

Definitely one of the worst lines ever written, unfortunately in one of my favorite movies, and spoken by the weak link in the cast.  But yeah, I doubt anyone could have made that line sound reasonable.

• Love 5
On 11/03/2018 at 6:57 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Let's hope that Andie MacDowell's daughter got her acting skills from someone else. Sorry to be bitchy but man I will never for the life of me get why Andie had such a hot career back in the 80's and the 90's.  I guess being nice, gorgeous, and having a luminescent smile really can get you places. I don't actively hate her presence in movies but I'm just baffled by it. Her current fame level of Hallmark movies makes so much more sense than the period of time where she was actually edging on A-list/B-list.

I don't know where she got them from, but from what I've seen, Margaret Qualley is a pretty decent actor. She was a regular in The Leftovers, and has a couple of decent supporting roles in movies.

But then I've never minded Andie MacDowell. It's not like she tried to do serious dramas or win awards. She mostly did romantic comedies or smaller supporting roles in ensemble movies. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Is Four Weddings the one with the love declaration followed by 'Is it raining? I couldn't tell...' or whatever. I honestly don't think anyone could pull off that fucking line.

That's the one, yes. 

"Is it raining? I hadn't noticed!" is the line in full.  Cringeworthy, to be sure, but not really a line even the best actor could say properly. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

This is more TV nepotism than film nepotism, but I do find it hilarious that Danica and Crystal McKellar (Winnie Cooper and Becky Slater on The Wonder Years) are sisters. I actually can see the resemblance in terms of their face/eye shapes, but their coloring is so different that I wouldn't blame anyone else for failing to know they're related. Crystal actually auditioned for Winnie as well, but the producers liked her so much they created the character of Becky just for her. 

(For those who don't know, Crystal eventually retired from acting and is now an attorney.) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, supposebly said:

Hm. I don't have a strong opinion on Andy McDowell. She was the main character in one of my favorite movies, Sex, Lies, and Videotape and she was excellent in it.

I've only seen Four Weddings... once and I don't remember much of it. This is the romcom that made Hugh Grant's career, wasn't it? Without this discussion, I wouldn't even remember her being in it. So, I guess, for me, she wasn't memorably bad.

Andy McDowell was indeed very good in Sex, Lies and Videotapes; I also liked her a lot in Dinner with Friends. And she was vey good in the series Jane by Design.

About Hugh Grant, I was recently discussing James Ivory (because everyone is talking about Call me by your Name), and remember that the first movie I saw Hugh Grant in was Maurice, where he played a completely different role than the romcom he moved on to become famous for. He was so good in that drama, I would not have expected him to go on to the type of career he's had.

For me, in Four Weddings, the most intriguing character and actor was Kristin Scott Thomas, and she went on to deliver ever since, both in English and French speaking roles.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, NutMeg said:

For me, in Four Weddings, the most intriguing character and actor was Kristin Scott Thomas, and she went on to deliver ever since, both in English and French speaking roles.

I find Kristin Scott Thomas kind of cold in her roles usually which works for some roles but usually not for those she's well known for.  But I really liked her here.

I do find myself jumping on the "Andie McDowell is awful" bandwagon but if I really think about it, it's mainly for Four Weddings.  I liked her in Sex, Lies and Videotape. I liked her in Magic Mike. I liked her in Groundhog Day. I liked her in Greencard.  I don't mind her in other things and have low standards for Hallmark productions.  The "ugh" reaction is all based on this meh performance of an ugh character who is hard to like nor does she have much chem with Hugh and it stands out big time in an otherwise perfect movie.

• Love 6

I'm not sure if one could call this a case of 'reverse nepotism' but the tragic Margaux Hemingway DID establish herself in the movie industry after having been a model a few years before her sister Muriel. However;  as visually intriguing as the first Miss Hemingway was, she had the misfortune of having the speaking voice of a 60-something alcoholic character actress so her cinematic career would not last and it was barely hanging on when her younger sister Muriel entered the scene who not only has a perfectly good voice but also capable of playing a wide range of genres. While Miss Muriel Hemingway is no longer a major star, she has had a steady career.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:44 PM, Danny Franks said:

You can definitely tell who her mother is. Apparently, she was in the BBC adaptation of Little Women last year, and I definitely recall hearing some good things about that. 

It's making me feel old though, seeing Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman's daughter as an adult actress. Along with Andie MacDowell's daughter and Kiefer Sutherland's daughter.

For me it's Cory and Topenga having a teenage daughter on Girl Meets World and Darlene having a teenage daughter on Roseanne.

Speaking of Kiefer, I never thought he looked like his dad until recently when I realized they basically have the same face except Donald's is stretched out more!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'm not sure if one could call this a case of 'reverse nepotism' but the tragic Margaux Hemingway DID establish herself in the movie industry after having been a model a few years before her sister Muriel. However;  as visually intriguing as the first Miss Hemingway was, she had the misfortune of having the speaking voice of a 60-something alcoholic character actress so her cinematic career would not last and it was barely hanging on when her younger sister Muriel entered the scene who not only has a perfectly good voice but also capable of playing a wide range of genres. While Miss Muriel Hemingway is no longer a major star, she has had a steady career.

Slight nitpick, but Margaux's younger sister is actually named Mariel. MUCH prettier, and less matronly, IMO, than Muriel. :)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, UYI said:

Slight nitpick, but Margaux's younger sister is actually named Mariel. MUCH prettier, and less matronly, IMO, than Muriel. :)

At first I thought "Is there another Hemingway sister I don't know about?" LOL!

When I read Muriel I hear Ted Knight saying it because that's his wife's name on Too Close For Comfort! I also hear Ted Knight's voice whenever I read "Monroe".

Also I just watched a Diet 7Up commercial from 1980 with Margaux and Tommy Smothers and you were not kidding about that voice! I think Jean Arthur is the only other woman who sounded like an old lady when she was young!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Also I just watched a Diet 7Up commercial from 1980 with Margaux and Tommy Smothers and you were not kidding about that voice! I think Jean Arthur is the only other woman who sounded like an old lady when she was young!

Fran Drescher also sounded like an 'old lady' when she was in her salad days but, like Jean Arthur, her saving grace has been that she was a skilled enough comedian to make the most of the incongruity of old voice/young body. Alas, the late Margaux Hemingway was NOT a comedian and even her dramatic attempts were at best, passable, so when she could no longer trade off her model appearance, the career was doomed. Oh, and I saw said commercial with Mr. Smothers- and even her being the 'straight woman' zinger to Mr. Smothers's zany persona fell quite flat. I hope no one was counting on them becoming the next Sonny and Cher.

• Love 2

While I consider Martin Sheen to be a great performer, I think he embodied the phrase that ' if you treat someone as though they can do no wrong, they'll use that as a license to DO wrong!' re at least contributing to how his son Charlie has turned out. And what really sad, is that despite ALL that the younger Mr. Sheen has put three generations of Sheens through (and virtually everyone else he's encountered), the elder Mr. Sheen STILL calls the younger one his 'hero'! Is that less painful to do so than to admit that one's contributed to a trainwreck?

• Love 7
On 6/16/2015 at 11:22 PM, JBC344 said:

I find Laura Dern to be incredibly underrated in terms of star power, but I have never heard another actor not praise her work.  She is one of those "character actors/just below A list stars" that seems to garner a lot of respect and admiration from others.

This comment is 3 years old, and I'm happy to say that Laura Dern definitely seems to be getting her due these days. I'm glad.

• Love 10

As a Four Weddings uber, I will defend Andie. Love her. Her scene where she recounts all of her sexual partners is fantastic. Sex, Lies and Videotape is her best performance, but I also liked her a lot in a small movie called Crush.

• Love 8

Kelly Ripa's son will be playing the younger version of her husband's character on Riverdale. I mean, he does pretty much look exactly like Mark and he's the right age to play Hollywood High School (aka college aged), so it's not a stretch.

It remains to be seen though if he has his mom's charisma and drive to stay in the game. I mean, he IS a very good-looking twink, and there's a lot you can do with that.

Although this does remind me...holy shit Vadhir Derbez was hot playing his dad as a young man in How To Be A Latin Lover.

• Love 3

I've recently become addicted to the television sitcom Rules of Engagement.  Oliver Hudson is so handsome, and so so so funny.  He's really talented.  He's kind of magnificent at playing kind of sweet and dumb, too.  I find him very attractive.  He is Kate Hudson's brother and Goldie Hawn's son with Bill Hudson.  (I understand he's in some new show now, but I don't really like that one.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Yeah Oliver is very underrated. He has just as much charisma as Goldie, Kate, and Wyatt. 

I think he has carved out a nice tv career. I first remember him from Dawson's Creek. He is one of those actors that is really one perfect role away from big stardom. 

I wish he could find a role/character that is more similar to his own personality. 

• Love 3

I really liked how they had an entire episode focused on how handsome he is, and how that makes service people treat him extra well.  First of all, that's so true to life that it happens to attractive people, and it was nice to actually see recognition of his looks that way.  The writers were directly addressing reality.  And to top it off he had dealt with this privilege his whole life, and he didn't even recognize it until he was forced to.  That's just so real.  He is as gorgeous and charismatic as Kate and Goldie.  Now, Wyatt to me, is just okay-looking and kind of forgettable (LOL) but maybe I just need to see him in the right role.

By the way I just saw Out of Towners (1999 version with Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn).  My god, Goldie's voice is exactly like her daughter's.  I fully recognize that Goldie was a star way before her daughter.  I'm just saying, man it's creepy.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 8/8/2018 at 1:47 PM, HoboClayton said:

Jumping in late to the Andie MacDowell argument.. One movie. Michael.. Ridiculous movie, made even more ridiculous by how awful she was. 

I have no opinion on Andie MacDowell(some movies I liked her in, some I didn't) but you've got to check out this impression of her by former SNL cast member Michaela Watkins:

• Love 1

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but Denzel Washington's son is the star of Blackkklansmen.

From visionary filmmaker Spike Lee comes the incredible true story of an American hero. It’s the early 1970s, and Ron Stallworth (John David Washington) is the first African-American detective to serve in the Colorado Springs Police Department. Determined to make a name for himself, Stallworth bravely sets out on a dangerous mission: infiltrate and expose the Ku Klux Klan. The young detective soon recruits a more seasoned colleague, Flip Zimmerman (Adam Driver), into the undercover investigation of a lifetime. Together, they team up to take down the extremist hate group as the organization aims to sanitize its violent rhetoric to appeal to the mainstream. Produced by the team behind the Academy-Award® winning Get Out.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 3/13/2018 at 1:30 PM, UYI said:

Elle Fanning definitely seems like she's set to eclipse Dakota's career, although Dakota really doesn't seem like she's interested in mainstream success. She really seems happy to do her quirky indie move parts while Elle is definitely supplementing her indie parts with more mainstream movies.

Anyway, this made me smile:

Gregory-Peck-and-Ethan-Peck.jpg

Greg's features were more fine than Ethan's are but you can definitely see him there. Aww.

And again, Ethan Peck's speaking voice is sexy as hell.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6

After watching The Wife, I'm now rooting for Annie Starke. She inherited her mother's wide dark blue eyes that can convey a myriad of emotions. She did a great job in setting up her mother's character. It looks like she's been mainly cutting her teeth in theater which is smart. Also, it was the first thing I actually thought Max Irons was good in.

So I just learned that Jack Kilmer, the son of Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley, is an actor.

I was reading an article about the disturbing and dark Norwegian black metal scene in the 1990s, which involved mutilation, murder and, on at least one occasion, the desecration of a corpse (seriously, these are some messed up people) and it mentioned that a movie is in the works, which will star Kilmer, Rory Culkin and Emory Cohen. It seems fairly independent, and Jack Kilmer has apparently made a few obscure films already, so perhaps he's not actively using his parents' names to get gigs.

He's probably never going to be a leading man or headline star, because the combination of two extremely good-looking parents seems to have produced a very average looking kid.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

So I just learned that Jack Kilmer, the son of Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley, is an actor.

I was reading an article about the disturbing and dark Norwegian black metal scene in the 1990s, which involved mutilation, murder and, on at least one occasion, the desecration of a corpse (seriously, these are some messed up people) and it mentioned that a movie is in the works, which will star Kilmer, Rory Culkin and Emory Cohen. It seems fairly independent, and Jack Kilmer has apparently made a few obscure films already, so perhaps he's not actively using his parents' names to get gigs.

He's probably never going to be a leading man or headline star, because the combination of two extremely good-looking parents seems to have produced a very average looking kid.

So maybe that means the younger Mr. Kilmer could play Prince Charles in a future production. LOL

Seriously, though, what's more important than looks is whether or not he's inherited any parental vulnerability to cancer and let's hope he has NOT as the elder Mr. Kilmer's cancer bout/s seem to have caused great havoc with him. 

• Love 1
On 8/4/2015 at 7:26 PM, Dejana said:

Denzel's son John David Washington had some brief appearances in a few of his father's movies but it looks like he spent much of his twenties chasing after the NFL dream. He's now on the HBO show Ballers, so the pro experience probably helped, but I think he might be better at acting than football.

And I posted this back when he was a mere TV star! John David Washington is really on the come up now, starring in a Spike Lee Best Picture nominee and now a leading role in the next Christopher Nolan movie. I think JDW is talented but would say his lineage has helped speed along his movie career. It bothers some people that his voice sounds so much like Denzel's, but for me it's not an overwhelming distraction and I'm not sure what those critics think he's supposed to do about it.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 4

Robert Altman in his film Short Cuts made good use of Andie MacDowell's ability to do "fragility." I've seen her in other things, including Four Weddings, but Short Cuts is the only one that really stands out. It's probably better not to give away the plot in detail, but she's the mother of a young son; she's married to Bruce Davison, and her father-in-law is Jack Lemmon. They have a terrible family crisis, and they're getting harassing phone calls in the midst of it -- the person bothering them has no idea how unspeakably cruel he is being, in the circumstances. She's actually quite good in that part, but as anyone who's seen Short Cuts knows, it has an ensemble cast only slightly smaller than Los Angeles itself. Some of the actors are the greats of their time, and no one has to shoulder that much of the load.  

Altman always did have a knack for casting and directing actresses in ways that played to their strengths. The great ones were great; the just-okay ones were better than they usually were.  

• Love 2
(edited)

After watching Stranger Things season 3, I'm definitely onboard the Maya Hawke train. She can act. I wasn't fully satisfied with her character writing, but her acting was beyond reproach and I thought she felt like a complete and real character.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, methodwriter85 said:

After watching Stranger Things season 3, I'm definitely onboard the Maya Hawke train. She can act. I wasn't fully satisfied with her character writing, but her acting was beyond reproach and I thought she felt like a complete and real character.

She seems tailor-made for the sort of sardonic, apathetic roles that made her dad famous. When the 90s revival movement really takes off (we're seeing the start of it already, I think) she should be positioned to shine.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Another thing that helps Maya is that while you can definitely see her mother there in her face and voice, Maya gives off more of an approachable vibe as opposed to her mother, who got typecast for her icy model beauty. She's pretty if the role calls for it, but she's not the "beautiful unattainable girl" that her mother often got cast as.

• Love 3

Margaret Qualley in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood reminded me of Juliette Lewis in her prime. Her on-screen presence has less of the "prim girl next door" vibe that her mother had and more of waif hippy dippy chick vibe. Of course, I haven't seen her in anything else but that was my hot take on her. I can see why Quentin Tarantino cast her in a part that could have been played by Juliette Lewis when she was young.

And there was something really cute about seeing Maya Hawke in her little cameo. Full circle of life and all that.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Margaret Qualley in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood reminded me of Juliette Lewis in her prime. Her on-screen presence has less of the "prim girl next door" vibe that her mother had and more of waif hippy dippy chick vibe. Of course, I haven't seen her in anything else but that was my hot take on her. I can see why Quentin Tarantino cast her in a part that could have been played by Juliette Lewis when she was young.

And there was something really cute about seeing Maya Hawke in her little cameo. Full circle of life and all that.

Margaret Qualley was really good in The Leftovers, and had a good manic energy in The Nice Guys. I think she's got a very bright future, but I don't know how interested she is in traditional leading lady roles.

I like Maya Hawke too. She reminds me so strongly of both of her parents, and I think she'll have a similar career trajectory to Qualley.

• Love 1