Type keyword(s) to search

Hollywood Nepotism: The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly

• Start Topic

I didn't think the reviewer was saying Mamie couldn't convincing play anything else, just noting that most movies simply don't capture all the ways that family members often resemble each other.

I know I'm just joking. I'm actually glad that it helps the movie and isn't just a case of bad nepotism.

I don't think actors have to look related to play family but it does help.  Also I don't care how good the actors are it's distracting if they don't at least look a little similar.  The 1989 Sidney Lumet Family Business the Sidney Lumet would have probably worked if three generations hadn't been played by Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman and Matthew Broderick!

family-business-family-business-13-12-19

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I completely agree! It's always been a pet peeve of mine that actors who look completely dissimilar are cast as siblings, mothers, daughters, sons. I know casting would be a huge pain in the ass if everyone had to look related but it's just something that bugs me.

I feel the same as well. I remember seeing the movie Before and After with Meryl Streep and Liam Neeson playing Edward Furlong's parents. EF looked so small and fine featured next to the Neeson towering over him. Unless you believed the son was about to get a very belated growth spurt it was pretty unrealistic .

Edited by raezen
  • Love 1

Regarding Mamie, I think it's been said that the family tradition is to name the oldest girl Mary and give her a family nickname. Meryl is really Mary, and Mamie is called that after a grandmother.

• Love 1

She doesn't yet seem interested in being famous, but DAMN, Ava Phillipee really is the apple of her parent's eyes. Really great blend of Reese and Ryan- I think the face is mostly Reese's, but Ryan's nose and chin/jawline.

I sound like a bitch saying this, but I think she's actually going to be prettier than Reese was as a result of not having that pointy chin. When Reese got super-thin and kept her hair short it got even prominent, and I thought she looked harsh as a result.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Yeah, genetics worked out for her. Then I think of poor Rumer Willis. She has her mother Demi Moore's eyes and nose, but her dad Bruce Willis' jaw.

I actually think it depends on how she is photographed.  Rumer is also one of those women who looks better as they get older.  She is not a "traditional" beauty but I find her to be gorgeous.

• Love 5

Yeah, genetics worked out for her. Then I think of poor Rumer Willis. She has her mother Demi Moore's eyes and nose, but her dad Bruce Willis' jaw.

Actually, to me it's not the jaw but the tiny, pointed little nose that's unfortunate for Rumer.

She doesn't yet seem interested in being famous, but DAMN, Ava Phillipee really is the apple of her parent's eyes. Really great blend of Reese and Ryan- I think the face is mostly Reese's, but Ryan's nose and chin/jawline.

I sound like a bitch saying this, but I think she's actually going to be prettier than Reese was as a result of not having that pointy chin. When Reese got super-thin and kept her hair short it got even prominent, and I thought she looked harsh as a result.

I think she has Reese's chin. In fact, that chin used to annoy me but I got over it.

Hmm, I think it's there, but it's not as prominent. I think the main difference is that the chin isn't as prominent, her nose is more like Ryan's, and I think her eyes look a bit more like Ryan's- I don't think they're as round and big as Reese's are. In any event, the apple didn't fall too far from that tree. On the basis of the beauty she inherited, I think Ava's got an opening to an acting career if she wants one, but so far she doesn't seem interested.

I will say that Reese and Ryan seem like they've been pretty active, involved parents with their kids the whole way through.

I really can't bag too much on Rumer. She may not be a conventional beauty, but she really does come off like a pretty cool person who works her ass off hard and keeps plugging away at a career.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

Makes sense. It kind of reminds me of what a recapper said at the old MightyBigTV site once said- that Kristin Kreuk has all these features that together shouldn't make a beautiful person, but they do. Meryl shouldn't have been beautiful, but for whatever reason, the beauty just came together just so, in a way it didn't for her daughters.

• Love 2

I see that Dakota Johnson is in the new Johnny Depp movie, Black Mass. I really don't see the appeal of her.

I haven't seen 50 shades but she did impress me with her small role in The Social Network and people seemed to love her from that Fox sitcom she did a few years ago. 

I don't know, for whatever reason, I've taken notice of her in the small bits she's done over the years- in the Social Network, in 21 Jump Street as well as Beastly, and I think she's got that "it" that makes her watchable on screen. I will say that anyone who clearly worked her ass off to try and make Anastacia Steele into a palatable character (and even come close to succeeding) is someone with a load of talent.

• Love 4

Dakota Johnson is attractive but she's got that blah, expressionless look on her face which makes her forgettable in roles.  I forgot she was in The Social Network and I saw the movie.  She looks more like her father than her mother, but it worked for him because he did have that grin.

• Love 2

I like a Hollywood kid with a sense of humor:

I do think Jack Q. seems to be doing it the right way- working small roles, doing small movies, learning more, and not just off the bat being the lead in major studio movies. Kind of a shame he's not "conventionally handsome" like his dad is/was, but eh, you can't have everything. I get the vibe the kid has a good head on his shoulders, and that probably helps more than anything.

It's also interesting when you realize that Dennis has never really been truly A-list- he's had a very solid career that's been hot at certain points, but he was never the A-list like Meg was.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

Have you seen the video Jack Quaid made in which he decided to get his sister Daisy's help to answer interview questions? It's very cute. He does seem to be doing it the right way, and he comes across as pretty grounded and fun to be around.

• Love 2

Have you seen the video Jack Quaid made in which he decided to get his sister Daisy's help to answer interview questions? It's very cute. He does seem to be doing it the right way, and he comes across as pretty grounded and fun to be around.

Well his dad is the good Quaid.

• Love 3

I just enjoyed the shade that they threw at Jaden Smith. The kid just comes off as an entitled ass, which is probably easy to be when Daddy buys you leading movie roles in big-budget movies.

I just enjoyed the shade that they threw at Jaden Smith. The kid just comes off as an entitled ass, which is probably easy to be when Daddy buys you leading movie roles in big-budget movies.

I like Jack Quaid but I would caution him not to throw stones.  Truth be told, Jaden has a lot more shade to throw at Jack regarding the exploits of his parents and extended family.  You think he would be a little bit more self aware.

• Love 1

I don't actually think Dennis Quaid is/was all that handsome, he has kind of unusual features and a sour resting expression. But he also has enough charisma to be scorching hot regardless of looks.

I don't generally lust after anyone, but while I love Breaking Away as a great movie in and of itself, I do enjoy the Dennis Quaid in cuttoffs sans shirt scene quite a bit as well. 

• Love 2

I think Dennis Quaid is an idiot, and it clouds my view of him, I wouldn't be able to tell you if he's handsome or not.

B-b-but, he he can be a pretty idiot, right?  (insert smiley face here)   As long as Randy is around doing his thing - is he still hiding out in Canada? -- Dennis will always have someone about whom he can say "Hey, at least I'm not  (him)."

I don't generally lust after anyone, but while I love Breaking Away as a great movie in and of itself, I do enjoy the Dennis Quaid in cuttoffs sans shirt scene quite a bit as well. 

Yeah, let's just say he was pretty hot in that.

Jack might have one of those faces that gets better with age...we'll see. He's at least got height going for him...kind of a shame that he's one of those guys with a face that doesn't work with curly hair, because I do like curls and he does have them, but his face doesn't really go with them. (I kind of feel the same way about Bradley Cooper.)

I remember when Dennis Quaid was getting his comeback because of Far From Heaven,the media was interested in him again, and I do agree he sounded kind of like an idiotic. One interview he just went on about how happy he was to still have his abs. Although to be honest, if I looked like this shirtless when I was in my late 40's/early 50's, I'd be bragging too. (I think age finally started catching up to him, but the guy looked damn good for a long time.)

In terms of the male side of guys who inherited their sexy dad's good lucks...holy shit, Scott Eastwood. You can see his father there, but you can also see the difference that current body standards made in terms of the amount of gym bunny muscle Scott has. Scott also looks a little bit shorter and that probably adds to the beefier look he has...I also think his face is not as long. Otherwise, you can damn sure see Clint there.

On the female side, before Reese and Ava, you had Blythe Danner and Gywneth Paltrow. It was really distracting watching Blythe in the Seagull, because she looked so much like Gywneth in that role.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

On the female side, before Reese and Ava, you had Blythe Danner and Gywneth Paltrow. It was really distracting watching Blythe in the Seagull, because she looked so much like Gywneth in that role.

Their mouths are the same shape.

Edited by BatmanBeatles

I got the feeling that he's being all sarcastic, precisely because he isn't that good looking, and so can not go down the typical leading man, or even supporting character route. You've got to play the hand you're dealt, and trying to fashion himself as being above the nepotism and "not like the other Hollywood kids" is about all he can do.

• Love 3

Jack might have one of those faces that gets better with age...we'll see. He's at least got height going for him...kind of a shame that he's one of those guys with a face that doesn't work with curly hair, because I do like curls and he does have them, but his face doesn't really go with them. (I kind of feel the same way about Bradley Cooper.)

I think if he gains a bit more weight (through fitness), I think he could be really attractive. I rather he have some self-awareness and humor about himself and his life than none or very little.

• Love 2

Their mouths are the same shape.

The biggest difference is Blythe has a husky voice while Gwyneth tends to sound a little nasally.

I got the feeling that he's being all sarcastic, precisely because he isn't that good looking, and so can not go down the typical leading man, or even supporting character route. You've got to play the hand you're dealt, and trying to fashion himself as being above the nepotism and "not like the other Hollywood kids" is about all he can do.

Well, that's not all he's doing. He's doing a lot of small, supporting roles in movies, both studio and indie. I think that's pretty smart.

• Love 3

I was stunned to find out that Billie Lourd is Carrie Fisher's daughter, even though they not so subtly play homage to her on Scream Queens (she always wears ear muffs that are reminiscent of Leia's iconic cinnamon bun hair.) She's definitely got her mother's eyes. I'm curious to see how she carries on this acting dynasty. I guess she's got a role in the new Star Wars film too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Will Smith refused to kiss Anthony Michael Hall in Six Degrees of Separation, because he said he might embarrass his son Trey in the future where some kids might bring in videotape of him kissing another man.

Is it wrong that because of that, I'm laughing my ass off at the fact that his younger son is now a model for female clothing? So much for a macho straight upbringing there, Will!

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 8

I think Dakota Johnson is really special.  She's extremely appealing and funny in both Ben and Kate and 50 Shades of Grey.  I was so excited for 50 Shades of Grey but the male lead Jamie Dornan is just....... so there.  Nothing charismatic, sexy, dangerous.  That's where this franchise really missed the mark unfortunately.  But Dakota Johnson makes the movie watchable and even funny.  Great comic timing.

I think Meryl Streep's daughters are so beautiful (as I think she is)!   They're all mini versions of her. I'm such a big fan of Mamie Gummer from The Good Wife.  She's so talented and appealing in my opinion.

• Love 1

I agree with you about the former- I think Dakota Johnson has "it", whatever that is. The fact that she piqued my interest in the two small parts she had in Beastly and The Social Network says a lot. As for Jamie Dornan...well, remember- he wasn't first choice. He was the back-up. I loved him as Sheriff Graham and think he can be hot, but I get the feeling her just decided not to even try. I am impressed at just how much work Dakota did to make Ana feel like a real character.

• Love 1

Will Smith refused to kiss Anthony Michael Hall in Six Degrees of Separation, because he said he might embarrass his son Trey in the future where some kids might bring in videotape of him kissing another man.

Is it wrong that because of that, I'm laughing my ass off at the fact that his younger son is now a model for female clothing? So much for a macho straight upbringing there, Will!

Well to be fair to Will Smith he has openly talked about regretting not doing the kiss with Anthony because he was a young actor and afraid of the backlash.  He has also said that he was being stupid.

• Love 6

It was interesting watching Bryce Dallas Howard and Colin Hanks give an award to Zoe Kravitz and Riley (Elvis Presley's granddaughter) Keough at the Critic's Choice Awards last night. That was like the Hollywood nepotism jackpot right there.

• Love 6

Well to be fair to Will Smith he has openly talked about regretting not doing the kiss with Anthony because he was a young actor and afraid of the backlash.  He has also said that he was being stupid.

Didn't Will Smith also say that Denzel Washington was the one who advised him not to do the kiss?

Didn't Will Smith also say that Denzel Washington was the one who advised him not to do the kiss?

That is the old rumor that Denzel gave Will advice not to play any "f******".  Now that has never been confirmed, but it has been around forever.  For all the flack Will has gotten for not doing the kiss, he did do the semi-nude/nude scene with the prostitute in the beginning of the movie.  Interesting that he could shoot that scene but not the kiss.  Chalk it up to being young and dumb. 

• Love 2