Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
VCRTracking

Favorite Performances

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, coppersin said:

Tom Hanks, correct?

oops! Hastily corrected 😳

Share this post


Link to post

I still think the quintessential Tom Hanks performance is in Sleepless in Seattle. It's not showy or award-worthy, it's not a faithful depiction of a historical figure, it's not weighty with drama. It's just... charming. He plays a bereaved husband, a loving but frustrated dad and a man yearning for love, and does them all perfectly, with humour as well as pathos.

He's done so many, far more important movies since then, and I love a lot of them. But Sleepless in Seattle is Tom Hanks at his Tom Hanksiest.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I still think the quintessential Tom Hanks performance is in Sleepless in Seattle. It's not showy or award-worthy, it's not a faithful depiction of a historical figure, it's not weighty with drama. It's just... charming. He plays a bereaved husband, a loving but frustrated dad and a man yearning for love, and does them all perfectly, with humour as well as pathos.

He's done so many, far more important movies since then, and I love a lot of them. But Sleepless in Seattle is Tom Hanks at his Tom Hanksiest.

Here's a funny story Hanks told on Graham Norton concerning the movie:

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Nicole Kidman in "The Others". She's chilling in that and I always admire about her that she doesn't have a problem playing unlikable and cold characters. 

Al Pacino in the first and second Godfather movie. He's often been such a ham in the years since, but the restraint of these performances is masterful. He's surrounded by mostly louder performances, but manages to convey the authority of Michael and how scary he's becoming with very sparse effects.

Adam Driver in "Paterson". I have seldom seen something like that put to screen tbh. He has barely any dialogue throughout the film, nothing much happens plot-wise. It's just stillness and reaction shots, mostly. And yet he conveys a whole inner life, relationships, strokes of a biography of the character. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, katha said:

Al Pacino in the first and second Godfather movie. He's often been such a ham in the years since, but the restraint of these performances is masterful. He's surrounded by mostly louder performances, but manages to convey the authority of Michael and how scary he's becoming with very sparse effects.

Adam Driver in "Paterson". I have seldom seen something like that put to screen tbh. He has barely any dialogue throughout the film, nothing much happens plot-wise. It's just stillness and reaction shots, mostly. And yet he conveys a whole inner life, relationships, strokes of a biography of the character. 

When it comes to the Godfather movies, John Cazale gives my favorite performance.  He is so good at showing Fredo to be the bumbling middle brother, and if you look closely you can see his discontent growing throughout the first film.  And then you get Part II where you can also tell early on Fredo is up to something culminating in that scene in Cuba.  He also broke my heart in the set up to his death scene.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Kate Hudson in Almost Famous.  

Patrick Fugit, Roger Ebert, myself, and many more fell for her.  What a peppy, naughty, warm, and smart portrayal.

Probably the most famous scene in the movie is her reaction to the fact she had been lost in a poker bet to a different band.  "What kind of beer?"

If anyone wants to say that another actor in that movie is a favorite performance, they would get no argument from moi.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sharon Warren' s performance as Ray Charles's mother the  struggling, overworked but powerful  Aretha in Ray was phenomenal. The scene in which her now-blind young son cries for help for her to lead him to where he needs to go while she silently but tearfully stays quiet so he has no choice but to attempt to make it from Point A to Point B using his other senses was unforgettable especially at the very end when he DOES manage to do it and she makes the tiniest sound. She was nominated for quite a few nominations (but no Oscars) for this debut movie performance in 2004- yet she has only been in one other movie Glory Road (2006) since then and appears to have quit the film industry altogether. AFIAK, she's still living but what Miss Warren has been doing since, I have no idea! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Kate Hudson in Almost Famous.  

Patrick Fugit, Roger Ebert, myself, and many more fell for her.  What a peppy, naughty, warm, and smart portrayal.

Probably the most famous scene in the movie is her reaction to the fact she had been lost in a poker bet to a different band.  "What kind of beer?"

If anyone wants to say that another actor in that movie is a favorite performance, they would get no argument from moi.  

She is so good in Almost Famous.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/19/2020 at 8:05 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Kate Hudson in Almost Famous.  

Patrick Fugit, Roger Ebert, myself, and many more fell for her.  What a peppy, naughty, warm, and smart portrayal.

Probably the most famous scene in the movie is her reaction to the fact she had been lost in a poker bet to a different band.  "What kind of beer?"

If anyone wants to say that another actor in that movie is a favorite performance, they would get no argument from moi.  

Mine, earlier in this thread, was Billy Crudup. I find him to be such a convincing 70s rockstar in that movie - charming, charismatic, slightly seedy and disreputable. It's as easy to see why both William and Penny fell for him as it is to see why both guys fell for Penny.

Hell, Jason Lee is great in it too. And Frances McDormand. And Zooey Deschanel and Philip Seymour Hoffman have really memorable, magnetic supporting roles (Seymour Hoffman gets some of the best lines in the entire movie).

That film deserves a lot more love than it tends to get. It's such a great watch.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

"Misery" is where Kathy Bates deservedly gets the most praise and I also like her in "Dolores Claiborne" which I recently watched, but my favorite performance of hers is in "Primary Colors".

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Been rewatching the Hunger Games series.  Elizabeth Banks and Stanley Tucci are still money.  Banks gets to bring a real depth to Effie as she goes from oblivious, low level bureaucrat to showing genuine care and concern for her friends/team.  And she does it all while in Effie's persona.  Tucci, on the other hand, does Caesar's enthusiastic reality show host veneer so well that I almost fall for it before I'm like, "Nope.  Insincere propaganda jackass."   

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

In honor of Olivia de Havilland I feel like I should pick my favorite of her roles but it's hard to choose. I'm gonna give it a three way tie between The Heiress, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and of course Melanie in Gone With the Wind.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

In honor of Olivia de Havilland I feel like I should pick my favorite of her roles but it's hard to choose. I'm gonna give it a three way tie between The Heiress, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and of course Melanie in Gone With the Wind.

I agree, Spartan Girl. Definitely her trifecta.

If I may, I'd like to chime in with some other great performances by the wonderful Miss Livvie:

The Strawberry Blonde: As Amy, the lovably brash feminist who shocks (but then charms) James Cagney, de Havilland proves that sometimes good girls can have all the fun and the best lines!

In This Our Life: The movie's kind of trashy and overwrought, but de Havilland plays Bette Davis's "plain" (yeah, yeah, I know) sister with dignity, warmth, and humor. 

My Cousin Rachel: Probably one of the darkest, most enigmatic roles she ever played, as a possible murderess the young Richard Burton falls for.

The Snake Pit: Yeah, it's Hollywood's idea of how psychology and mental illness work, and it will probably elicit groans, but de Havilland is incredibly memorable as mental patient Virginia.

Captain Blood: Her first film with Errol Flynn, playing spirited love interest Arabella. I still can't get over that she was a teenager when she made this!

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I'll always have a soft spot for To Each Their Own.  The look of sheer content on her face at the end brings a tear to my eye.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

I'll always have a soft spot for To Each Their Own.  The look of sheer content on her face at the end brings a tear to my eye.

I wish they'd release that one on blu ray already. It's sappy, but in the best possible way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I wish they'd release that one on blu ray already. It's sappy, but in the best possible way.

Haha.  Agree.  But it feels so earned so it works on me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

My favorite part in her Maid Marian performance is when the Merry Men raid their party, and Robin's sitting next to her devouring his meal while asking why isn't she eating. She gives him the perfect the stink-eye and said he was making her lose her appetite. But when she slowly warms up to him, she starts taking theses delicate ladylike bites of her meat, and he lets out his booming laugh.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/19/2020 at 12:05 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Kate Hudson in Almost Famous.  

Patrick Fugit, Roger Ebert, myself, and many more fell for her.  What a peppy, naughty, warm, and smart portrayal.

Probably the most famous scene in the movie is her reaction to the fact she had been lost in a poker bet to a different band.  "What kind of beer?"

If anyone wants to say that another actor in that movie is a favorite performance, they would get no argument from moi.  

 

On 7/19/2020 at 5:55 AM, shoregirl said:

She is so good in Almost Famous.

 

On 7/20/2020 at 9:00 AM, Danny Franks said:

Mine, earlier in this thread, was Billy Crudup. I find him to be such a convincing 70s rockstar in that movie - charming, charismatic, slightly seedy and disreputable. It's as easy to see why both William and Penny fell for him as it is to see why both guys fell for Penny.

Hell, Jason Lee is great in it too. And Frances McDormand. And Zooey Deschanel and Philip Seymour Hoffman have really memorable, magnetic supporting roles (Seymour Hoffman gets some of the best lines in the entire movie).

That film deserves a lot more love than it tends to get. It's such a great watch.

And just last week:

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Michael Stuhlbarg in the Coen Brothers movie, A Serious Man. I'm a fan of the Coen Brothers and A Serious Man is one I watch over and over (maybe I should take the advice given in the movie "Accept the mystery" - but I keep trying to figure out what every little thing means!) Michael Stuhlbarg is brilliant in it. He conveys so much with slight changes in the way he purses his lips, widening his eyes just a bit, a little raise of his eyebrows. It's just a great performance.

Simon Helberg and Fred Melamed are also great in very small roles.

Share this post


Link to post

Been binging the Scream movies all weekend.  I don't know if Roger Jackson ever really gets the credit he deserves for his voice work in that series.  So sinister but not over the top.  

 

And speaking of 90s teen slasher movies, I think Sarah Michelle Gellar steals I Know What You Did Last Summer ("No, he used scissors, asshole.") and makes the most out of every frame she's in in Scream 2.  I think (a) it's because her face is so emotive and (b) she really is one of the best criers around.  She says so much without saying anything at all, especially in the build up to her chase scene in Scream 2.  And again, in a genre that can lend itself to a lot of scenery chewing, it never feels like it's too much.   

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On ‎07‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 5:19 AM, Danny Franks said:

I still think the quintessential Tom Hanks performance is in Sleepless in Seattle. It's not showy or award-worthy, it's not a faithful depiction of a historical figure, it's not weighty with drama. It's just... charming. He plays a bereaved husband, a loving but frustrated dad and a man yearning for love, and does them all perfectly, with humour as well as pathos.

He's done so many, far more important movies since then, and I love a lot of them. But Sleepless in Seattle is Tom Hanks at his Tom Hanksiest.

Which is probably why I avoided anything with Tom Hanks for ages, because I hated Sleepless in Seattle, and don't really like him at his Tom Hanksiest.  I preferred his early comedic performances (like Splash and Bachelor Party) or some of his more recent non-Hanksy roles.

On ‎07‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 10:31 PM, katha said:

Nicole Kidman in "The Others". She's chilling in that and I always admire about her that she doesn't have a problem playing unlikable and cold characters. 

That's the performance she should've won an Oscar for.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size