Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: Go for the Gold… Sequin

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

They’re really not allowed to engage in media or be online outside of what the producers prescribe, so they have to rely on the design knowledge and know-how they arrived with. 

true, I totally forgot.   My mind isn't what it used to be or maybe never was.  Although some of that is common sense.  I just think most of them didn't listen to the directions or think it through.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Twopper said:

I just think most of them didn't listen to the directions or think it through.

Yeah, Johnny and Tara both said "bright colors" so it threw me when a few of them were running for the black at Mood.  

• Love 6
On 11/13/2021 at 6:43 AM, Cheyanne11 said:

He thinks he's on par with the judges and therefore allowed to make those kind of comments.  Arrogant ass.  Also, he's one-note and totally disregarded what Johnny and Tara said about not too voluminous because he just thinks his aesthetic is so superb that they would realize how wrong they were and yes, yes, of course that's exactly what should be worn.  He can also get the hell out of here with the stupid hats and his orange 'stache.

100%!!!!! Boy, this season sure has some real jerks! For all the talk of bullies with Kenneth and Meg I think Katie deserved a few tears for the way Octavio treated and spoke to her. I think she was in trouble whether she stuck to her design or not, but she absolutely did not deserve to be spoken to like that. His trash bag aesthetic sucks, and the one time he has to do something different, he designed that monstrosity of a jacket. Blech.....

And Praije, wow. I thought maybe he was ok when he acknowledged he went too far with Meg, but no, I think that is actually how he is. It was obvious Sabrina was in pain and he couldn't care less. Also an asshole.

I know they were safe because there was so much fug this episode, but what the hell was that dress Kristina sent down the runway? It reminds me of the sheet and rope outfit Ariel is wearing in The Little Mermaid when she first gets her legs. She is my least favorite designer style-wise this season. I just don't get it.

I think that mirrored fabric Bones had looked expensive and cool before he turned it into that horrible vest. It was no contest for the winner that was sure! Aaron and Shantall were sunk by the dreary color palette, plus her dress was way too bare on top, but I do think there will still be tweaks to the winning outfit. Johnny might be fine with "full nip" but it's possible NBC will not for prime time Olympics coverage. I also think the dress will have a more modest neckline and a shortened hem for Tara's petite frame. I don't understand why they all thought the outfits had to be completely matching rather than just complimentary? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the changes that are made in a few months!

• Love 12
On 11/14/2021 at 9:38 AM, rhygirl720 said:

Is it me or is this  the most consistently ugly clothes on the runway ever in the history of project runway? There are always a few clunkers and WTF moments but holy smokes...If this is fashion count me out

It is, indeed, not just you. Contrary to Elaine's (and the other judges', or so she says) opinion, this is as far as you can get from the "best" group of designers on PR evah. It's not even the best group of designers on the Bravo PR Version 2.0 seasons. There is something terribly lacking in these designers, either an absence of real talent or the ability to work to their real levels under these conditions, I don't know, but it's made for really shoddy runways.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, carrps said:

Paul Wylie was absolutely robbed in the Olympics. Petrenko stunk up the ice...he was especially lame trying to be sexy. But Wylie's long program that year was stunning and skated to perfection.

Yes, to all! Loving all the Paul Wylie love! (Thanks @graybrown bird and @treeofdreams, for the vids. Such happy memories.) And, on that note, I like Tara, really, but Michelle was robbed.

• Love 7
On 11/13/2021 at 3:50 PM, graybrown bird said:

The dress will be redesigned before Tara wears it on TV.

The designer's names being shared is what really matters to them at the end of the day. "Who are you wearing?"

This is a fairly untalented group of designers. I agree that Katie would be a great designer for adorable Lizzie from this season of British Bake Off.

• Love 6
On 11/14/2021 at 7:38 AM, backgroundnoise said:

I still hold out a small hope that if he uses the save, it will be for a good reason.

I'm holding out hope that if he uses the save it will be for Aaron. He's practically the only one of these people I can stand consistently (there are a couple I can stand... inconsistently).  He's getting shafted in the judging all the time. 

• Love 14
On 11/13/2021 at 9:35 PM, Fellaway said:

Yeah, I don't think he was intentionally trying to sabotage her, at least not while they were in the workroom. (During judging is another matter.) But I don't think he was trying to positively or constructively influence her design and skills, either, so much as he was trying to impose his design aesthetic on her design.

I haven't seen enough of him in recent years to say one way or the other, but I do remember him as rather snarky and hard-nosed when he was a judge on Skating with the Stars. Sounds like he's changed his technique since then.

Yes! A man before his time. My fave is still Paul Wylie. I was so excited when I got to see him (and others) skate in person.

I don't think they were, either. I also wondered how comfortable it would be for Tara to be sitting on that fringe for an extended length of time.

Sadly, I think this is a dog of a season. It's gonna have to work hard to change my opinion, but these designers seem mostly out of their depth. Maybe that's why we haven't had an unconventional materials challenge yet. At this point, I can't see that as being anything but a hot mess with these designers.

Wait, what do you mean 'dog of a season'?  I distinctly remember the judges saying this was the most talented season they ever had.  They couldn't have been wrong, could they????? (by the way, that is full sarcasm as I totally agree with 'dog of a season')...

Oh, and I, too, loved Paul Wylie and enjoyed seeing all of the Olympians on tour (do they still do that?).

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I absolutely think the available talent pool is shrinking and that’s one of the reasons we aren’t getting the casting shows. I enjoy the show for what it is, but I recognize that there just aren’t that many talented people willing to go on the show. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I absolutely think the available talent pool is shrinking and that’s one of the reasons we aren’t getting the casting shows. I enjoy the show for what it is, but I recognize that there just aren’t that many talented people willing to go on the show. 

I think if any designers watch this show, they would run shrieking from any thought that they would want to be on it.  Yes, some might initially think that it is good exposure to be on TV, but once they saw the questionable judging and the conditions of the tasks (too limited time and too little money to turn out really quality designs) they might think it would be too dangerous to their careers.

Besides, it is really just a cheesy reality TV show.  What prestige could there be gained from being on it??

• Love 2
2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Besides, it is really just a cheesy reality TV show.  What prestige could there be gained from being on it??

Can't help but wonder the trajectory of Christian's career had he not been on PR. We will never know, but it sure didn't hurt. 

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Can't help but wonder the trajectory of Christian's career had he not been on PR. We will never know, but it sure didn't hurt. 

Very true.  But he was on Season One, yes?  Before the show degenerated to what it is now.  I think there was some potential prestige to being on it at that time. 

Besides, Christian is...Christian.  

• Love 2
On 11/14/2021 at 4:51 PM, Twopper said:

I know they have little time, but a 2-3 minute google search has short articles on what not to wear for a tv appearance.  The idea is to dress for the camera, and not dress like you are in person.

They can't google but they had the actual people right there, and very few seemed to have listened or had any followup questions.

• Love 2

Christian is absolutely the most successful Project Runway winner. It's tough to say where he would be without the show or if he would have found another path to success -- but I also don't know what the S1, S2 or S3 winners are doing now, other than running small fashion lines or stores. He definitely has a different energy than Tim Gunn, but I like him. 

I was so annoyed with people who seemed to think they were designing SKATING COSTUMES for Johnny and Tara. I remember in early seasons they used to get dossiers for celebrity clients -- someone famously (and allegedly by accident) replicated a dress that was shown in a dossier photo for Nicky Hilton in that challenge. I wonder if that's still being done? 

Delighted to see the Paul Wylie love...he was my favorite skater back in the day! And yes, there are still "Stars on Ice" tours. I just saw an Instagram snap from Ashley Wagner practicing for an upcoming tour.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

2 hours ago, carrps said:

Absolutely.

Took a number of seasons for the show to turn to complete doo doo.

It is like a lot of reality shows.  It isn’t just the talent pool drying up…the audience stops caring as soon as the credits roll on the final episode.   Sook at American Idol… Kelly, Carrie, to a lesser extent Adam, Daughtry, Kelly Pickler and Jennifer Hudson and Katherine McPhee who turned to acting… the show has been on how many seasons?  And how many other success stories, especially from the most recent seasons.  Has the Voice produced any stars?  America’s Got Talent… two winners got long Term Vegas contracts…most everyone else has faded away. 

• Useful 1

Watched the show last night and am posting before I read any of your posts.

I think Octavio stank as a partner for Katie, trying to subdue her so his garment would get the attention. This was her challenge to bring it on. Too bad it couldn't have been individual. I hope Octavio flames out.

I'm glad Kristina was eliminated although I like her. Her pain sounded pretty bad and she might have had to self-eliminate in the near future anyway.

I liked Aaron's and ???'s the best. Double-sided tape would take care of any potential display of too much skin. Was it Shantal?

• Love 3
18 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

What prestige could there be gained from being on it??

Let's ask Christian Siriano.  Admittedly, he's the exception not the rule, but this would be a helluva resume' bullet point (unless you stunk up the place and exited early).

Michael Costello is another who parlayed his appearance into a very successful career designing red carpet garments, though not without controversy.  There could be many who have gone on to work for design houses, had small independent lines of their own etc, and we wouldn't know about it.

I think many of us tend to think that if you aren't on a level with CS, you haven't arrived, but there are thousands of good jobs in the industry that don't involve having your own name on a label.

All ^that said, I too believe that there must be something keeping talent away from the show.  It could be that it is a real time committment; one that would keep someone away from family and jobs for a fair stretch of time.  Not all employers/children/spouses would be accommodating.  I think it takes around 6 weeks to film in entirety, though obviously, not all contestants need that much time.

untold-truth-project-runway

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, DEL901 said:

It is like a lot of reality shows.  It isn’t just the talent pool drying up…the audience stops caring as soon as the credits roll on the final episode.   Sook at American Idol… Kelly, Carrie, to a lesser extent Adam, Daughtry, Kelly Pickler and Jennifer Hudson and Katherine McPhee who turned to acting… the show has been on how many seasons?  And how many other success stories, especially from the most recent seasons.  Has the Voice produced any stars?  America’s Got Talent… two winners got long Term Vegas contracts…most everyone else has faded away. 

The one show for me where this is not the case is Top Chef. Perhaps it is because the subject matter is relatable and accessible to the audience. The majority of the stuff made on Project Runway is in practical terms meant for a ridiculously small segment of the population.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I think Octavio stank as a partner for Katie, trying to subdue her so his garment would get the attention. This was her challenge to bring it on. Too bad it couldn't have been individual. I hope Octavio flames out.

He absolutely stank as a partner, but I disagree that this was her challenge. Her arts and crafts style does not go with the glam looks favored by Tara and Johnny. I think she would have been seen as a liability to all the other designers, not just Octavio. But that being said, he completely steam rolled her in the work room and then threw her under the bus on the runway. And this coming from someone who made the purple monstrosity that was the ugliest thing on that runway. He's a dick.

• Love 4

I agree with several other posters about this season.

I have found this season incredibly boring and a slog to get through.

Maybe the show has peaked?

I like a couple of the designers. However the talent level seems to decrease every season. 

The judging, however, has been like the criticism you would give 5 year olds to be encouraging vs. actual critiques for adults that actually need to sell things after the show airs.

When did Nina stop giving real critiques? There’s a huge difference between being mean and being so soft that you don’t actually prepare contestants for the real world.

• Love 10

I have a cousin who is a designer. She could see the door of Mood from her office window. Last I knew, she worked on a children's clothing line for one of the department stores. No idea if she's still in that job. But I had asked her at one point about PR and she had absolutely no interest in her own line or dressing celebrities. She was perfectly happy, and made a really good salary, as a house designer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I like Christian as a judge. I'm always amused when people say the contestants shouldn't listen to him. HE WON THE SHOW! If you think he takes his role seriously (and I do) then you'd be foolish to not listen to him. Hell, Tim Gunn would look at the ugliest design ever and, with his hand on his chin say "I'm ambivalent". Thanks for the insight. 

Mean Mr. Mustache can bounce from my TV ASAFP. 

A good week in re: the models: No Mimi. 

• Love 3
On 11/14/2021 at 4:28 PM, treeofdreams said:

Thanks for posting that.  Paul was one of my favorites as well

Totally off topic…I met him in a hotel bar (all the skaters were there after a Stars on Ice show), and he couldn’t have been ruder.  And then my mother and I walked by Kristi Yamaguchi and Paul on our way to the parking garage and he actually put his arm around her and turned her away from us.  Scott Hamilton was gracious.  :)

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, MartyQui said:

Totally off topic…I met him in a hotel bar (all the skaters were there after a Stars on Ice show), and he couldn’t have been ruder.  And then my mother and I walked by Kristi Yamaguchi and Paul on our way to the parking garage and he actually put his arm around her and turned her away from us.  Scott Hamilton was gracious.  :)

Well, that's a bummer.  :(

Scott Hamilton was another favorite.

• Love 1
On 11/12/2021 at 1:57 PM, Twopper said:

I was wondering if they would have given him the win after he talked about how he has pix of them.  He really didn't seem quite over the top about it, but I could see the others grumbling that he won because he was such a suck-up.

I, too, hated Octavio trying to throw Katie under the bus.  I wonder if it backfired and he saved her, but then I remembered she was safe one time and at least one judge liked her dress.

One poster mentioned they said 18 months away and another said it was less than that--I forget the exact number.  I wonder if they edited it to make it look more recent/

Actually I think it was both. There was the 18-month observation referring to when the scene was taped, but the shorter time frame referred to the time from when the episode aired. You often see episodes - usually holiday ones like Thanksgiving - that were filmed months ago,  but treated like the action is taking place.at the time the episode aired. 

On 11/12/2021 at 3:56 PM, Norasuke said:

Heck, this week Nina was going on and on about listening to and being true to your own voice, but one of these weeks a designer will mention that they disregarded advice from Christian (or a client) in favor of listening to their voice and the judges will jump down their throat for it.

Didn't Katie say she'd never designed anything for anyone but herself before this? So her big-top aesthetic isn't even popular with clients in Japan. :sigh:

I took from that that Katie has not really tried a commercial market. Maybe for her PR is a way to test the waters and get exposure. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

In my imaginary world where I can make good things happen to people, Katie would get an apprenticeship with Betsey Johnson. 

Well, i imagine Betsy has by now seen some of Katie's work, maybe with Nina having called her to suggest it, so maybe she'll get a call from her. Or maybe, even Betsy would decline.

• Love 2

Not much to add except that when Katie was initially paired with Octavio she was wearing a relatively bright red lipstick (not neon like his 'stache), and I thought it was funny that they "matched."  I've been trying to think of a mustache dye color (either a natural or unnatural color) I would dislike more on him (or anyone), and I can't think of anything.  

Did Sabrina say she'd had a hip replacement, or just surgery/an operation?  I didn't hear replacement but the ep has been deleted.  I don't know what else there might be...my brother's rheumatoid arthritis mostly affects his energy levels and gives him "brain fog"...he's so smart I don't really notice but I believe him when he says he feels foggy!

Tara and Johnny were at the Summer Olympics, and I remember mainly seeing them standing, but I guess that's because they were there as popular figures doing a bit of color commentary on the Olympics as a whole.  On the other hand, I don't recall seeing many TV shots of the skating commentators during competition coverage in any Olympics--maybe at the beginning and end, but during the actual competition, even between performances, all cameras are on the ice or the kiss and cry or backstage or whatever.  So nipples could be popping and peeking like crazy and you'd hardly get a glimpse!  

5 hours ago, carrps said:

She said she'd had a hip replacement when she was a kid. Like nine?

Yes, 

I have had rheumatoid arthritis since I was 13 (I am now 56) I had my first hip replaced when I was 44.
I’ve had 10 orthopedic surgeries in the last 13 years and have a lot of metal in me 🤣

I can’t imagine having to have had a replacement at age 9.

• Love 4
On 11/12/2021 at 6:53 PM, JapMo said:

And to think after they all met backstage, Katie was absolving Octavio of the fact he tried to backstab her and practically falling all over herself telling him how much she likes him.  Yech.

Katie needs to stop letting everyone else undermine her confidence and start designing clothes for grown women and not Raggedy Ann.  She's not going to win and she knows it, but instead of just giving up, she should do everything she can to be the "spoiler" and force a few of the assholes that think they're so wonderful out before her. 

On 11/13/2021 at 11:45 AM, jackjill89 said:

ITA with everything you said. I didn't care for him before, but after his treatment of Katie this week, and yet another ugly hat, I'm done with him and can't wait for him to go.

Katie might not be right for this show, but he was an absolute ass to her. When they show Katie's Insta pix, I actually find what she does interesting -- not my taste, but she is creative. 

On 11/13/2021 at 1:10 PM, AZChristian said:

Finally sat down to watch the show.

I found it interesting that Octavio broke every rule they were given and then proceeded to criticize Katie's look.  And then the judges put it right to him that there was NOTHING good about his look for this challenge, and built Katie back up by saying she SHOULD have done all the things that Octavio talked her out of.  Sadly, I don't think there's any humble pie on the menu at Octavio's house.

I liked Aaron and his partner's looks - but they would have been more successful in a lighter or brighter color scheme.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:07 PM, RoseAllDay said:

This is it. Exactly. Bones, while maybe too harsh, was right by basically telling people to not be intimidated by Christian. If what he says helps, use it; if it doesn’t, ignore it. I think this is 99% of Katie’s problem (other than being in over her head with this competition as the weeks pass). 

They obviously have to have some confidence in their ability and their aesthetic to make it on the show, but the stakes are so high, and they’re afraid of not listening to the “expert.” I do like Chasity’s interactions with Christian, while Katie just restarts from scratch and cowers in the corner. Gunn’s critiques, to me, never seemed to rattle the designers because he gave them things to think about. Christian seems to just stand there and judge.

YMMV.

It was JUST the last episode where Katie admitted that she was letting Christian's criticism of her look, cause her to abandon her ideas and compromise her aesthetic.  And THIS episode, she lets Octavio just steam roll over her.  She kept wanting color in the top (as she was one of the few who actually listened to the instructions to concentrate on the waist up) and Octavio pushed and pushed and pushed until her top was only black.  She "compromised" by emphasizing the skirt which they had specifically been told was not important.  Octavio was going to do some ginormous over-the-top look for Johnny no matter what (because oversized trash bag is HIS trademark) and was, in my opinion, trying to get Katie to tone hers down so his would stand out more.  Maybe it's my own prejudice coming out - I really think that LDS women have it drilled into them from a very young age that they really need to let the man lead - women are submissive - but good lord woman, GROW A SPINE.  I always have a grudging admiration for those people who are eliminated for looks they love and totally stand behind.  If you don't have enough faith in your own design skills to at least design to your own taste (and I'm not talking about a slight modification in proportion or changing some detail based on a critique ) you'll NEVER make it as a designer.

• Love 4
On 11/11/2021 at 10:30 PM, Tango64 said:

Yes, the hat was too much. 

I was wondering, does the hat give you a cool and edgy thrill when you stroll in believing you might win, but then make you feel like a total asshole when you not only find yourself on the bottom but also wearing a stupid hat?

Ottavio couldn't throw Katie under the bus fast enough: "I knew she had been in the bottom several times ... (pick her pick her please for the love of God pick her)

Reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer is in the police line-up and tilting his head at the guy standing next to him.

Some of these designers seem more invested in their own personal appearance than the designs they're sending down the runway.   When they come in to the runway, it's like a mini show-before-the-show.   I realize this has been going on to some degree in past seasons but this season it seems more prevalent.   Traditionally the host of the show (Heidi, Karlie, Alyssa) receives the oohs and ahhs when first appearing on the runway but in the absence of a host this acclaim appears to have been ceded to the designers.   Which only invites embarrassments like Ottavio's hat.

Sabrina didn't deserve to go home.  Unfortunately her drama factor was minimal compared to the other three.   Ottavio has the red mustache and collection of asshole hats, Katie is a clown car of bad designs, and Prajje has a bitchy, entitled attitude and has shown no hesitation in using it.   All Sabrina had was a bad hip.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5

Tune into the prime time coverage tonight to see the outfits - Terry Gannon made a point of it this morning and they repeat the coverage for the prime time show. Johnny covered up the sheer with a ton of costume jewelry (very Mr T!). What's hilarious is they said "we need an outfit that looks good from waist up" and because of the coverage being beamed out of Stamford, Connecticut and not Beijing live, you get to see the whole outfits!

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Here are the outfits.

Thanks for that! I forgot to watch this morning (I'm an early bird) and am sure I'll be dead to the world by the time they show the ice-skating tonight!