Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E09: You Are Wasting Our Time!

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

This is a spoiler free topic. If it did not happen on THIS episode, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

Thoughts on this episode:

AR's exit was way too boring for the cliffhanger last week. It should have been at the end of the last episode, you can end with K&J being pissed and you still have an interesting ending without the completely unnecessary cliffhanger.

Loved seeing the girls posing with poms at cameos and doing dancing shots! I wish they would use some of those as their cameos, they tend to have more energy (and actually look like cheerleaders).

LOVED the girls' response when Jensen came back on the field after her office call!

The callout about Tori making SG after being cut last year shows just how great of a dancer she is, but did you seriously have to include the line about not knowing if that had ever happened before? You'd think SOMEONE helping edit this together would remember one of the several girls this has happened to.

Another freaking cliffhanger?

• Love 5

Man! They didn't announce the team this week? 

I was hoping they'll do it this week and get it over with.

Now we have to wait another week.

This is torture!

p.s. another thing I don't like after watching this series for years is the way they sugar coat it before cutting someone.

You are a strong dancer, you are photogenic, everyone loves you, you have talent, you have improved, you are pretty, BUT tonight is your last night.

Just come out and say it. All that sugar coating gives them hope for nothing.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Namcot said:

Man! They didn't announce the team this week? 

I was hoping they'll do it this week and get it over with.

Now we have to wait another week.

This is torture!

p.s. another thing I don't like after watching this series for years is the way they sugar coat it before cutting someone.

You are a strong dancer, you are photogenic, everyone loves you, you have talent, you have improved, you are pretty, BUT tonight is your last night.

Just come out and say it. All that sugar coating gives them hope for nothing.

It softens the blow in one respect. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Jess14 said:

As for Alora Rose this year, I don't blame her for trying to secure another job before leaving the one that she had. That's what most people do. On the other hand, I definitely would've hated it for any rookie who was cut at the end if Alora Rose had made it and then quit for the Rockettes, so I understand Kelli & Judy's frustration.

That's all I've been thinking about since hearing the news. In the real world, it's exactly what you do! But then again, DCC world and the real world are worlds apart! I forgot that if you don't dedicate your whole life to being a DCC for like $1 an hour, you're not committed enough. 

I can see it from both sides though as you say, I'd be annoyed as a director if AR took someone's spot and only lasted a couple of games before leaving. However, it's not like she'd be the first to do so!

• Love 7
22 hours ago, JapMo said:

Kelli's just pissed because AR was choosing The Rockettes over the DCC. 

It's embarrassing for her. How many times in past seasons did they say something like "these are talented dancers who choose DCC over Broadway, etc...." AR destroyed that narrative.

• Useful 1
  • Love 21
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

It's embarrassing for her. How many times in past seasons did they say something like "these are talented dancers who choose DCC over Broadway, etc...." AR destroyed that narrative.

Bingo! 

Also, even if the timing had been different and the Rockettes tryouts were before DCC, Kelli probably still would have held it against Alora Rose if she had been honest and tried out for the Rockettes, not made it, and then tried to return to the DCCs as a vet. She probably would’ve been cut. That’s one reason why I can’t be mad at Alora Rose. It was a no win situation for her.

Of course, I wouldn’t expect K&J to act differently than they did. Just like we’re told to make sure you find a new job before you leave your current one, we’re also told to make sure that your current boss doesn’t find out that you’re looking to go elsewhere. Given that dance auditions are not confidential, the situation was probably always going to end up like this. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Just like we’re told to make sure you find a new job before you leave your current one, we’re also told to make sure that your current boss doesn’t find out that you’re looking to go elsewhere.

Times change I know and obviously they have in the job field also.  But, when I worked I was a legal secretary/assistant.  Lots of firms would not even interview you unless you had already given your notice that you were leaving.   I imagine it had to do more with keeping a good working relationship among the law firms (not "stealing" a secretary) than anything else.

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Times change I know and obviously they have in the job field also.  But, when I worked I was a legal secretary/assistant.  Lots of firms would not even interview you unless you had already given your notice that you were leaving.   I imagine it had to do more with keeping a good working relationship among the law firms (not "stealing" a secretary) than anything else.

yes, it has. on one of my job moves , I was "advised" not to give notice until the drug test, reference and background results (which probably included credit check) came back.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

Yes, I think times have changed on that. I’m an attorney in a big firm, and employees definitely do not give notice before they have secured other employment. Now,  if an employee is moving out of state because their spouse has been transferred or something like that, notice may be given. In that case, it would probably be beneficial to have your current employer vouch for you in your nee job search, but outside of very specific circumstances like that, you wait until you know that you have somewhere else to go. Fur example, when I left my last firm for the current one, I waited a full week or so after I accepted the offer to give notice because my client conflicts, background check, etc had to clear first.

• Love 8

I'll echo the majority here by saying I don't think anyone (including K&J) expected AR to leave DCC until she had a firm offer from the Rockettes.  If K&J want to claim to be the "best in the industry," they have to expect the dancers to move on to other opportunities.  This happens in literally EVERY industry.  If you want to keep your best performers from leaving, treat them in a way that will encourage them to stay (including better pay). Also, prepare for that possibility by selecting alternate cheerleaders that can step up in these instances instead of being so hyper-focused on the number 36.

I'm leaning toward the side of TV drama on this one.

Edited by EvergreenLove
  • Love 9
On 11/13/2021 at 2:08 AM, rose711 said:

Do people think that Alora Rose would have tried out and if she didn’t make it she would go back to Dallas? I’m not sure how the timing would work with it.

The Rockettes are a much better dance job than the Cowboys Cheerleaders. So she made the right choice.

Yes, because if she wasn't trying to hedge her bets she would not have tried out for DCC this year if she was trying for Rockettes and definitely not coming back.  I would have played it the same way, but I would not have told a soul.  TPTB heard about the auditions somehow.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2021 at 11:38 AM, StellaCL said:

On that note though, I think sometimes they have office visits with TCC/DCC that are never aired. You are telling me they never once wanted to talk to Madeline or Amber this year? I have suspected this other seasons as well.

If you believe the chart that showed Madeline in a very safe position, then no I do not think they ever talked to her this season.  There are plenty of girls over the years who were thinking they are just fine and then cut the day before announcement, first time in office.  I think Jensen nicely addressed the check minus kicks, saying she will work on that and stretch more now that she is aware of what they want her to work on.  I was fine with them cutting anyone they named (they rattled off 5 names) except Madeline S. and now Jensen since she seems really dedicated to the team.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, StillHere said:

The Dallas Cowboys are a multi-billions dollar corporation and these young women are brainwashed into believe they are easily replaceable or have little value. 

So what if they aren't so indoctrinated by the power of The Star that they imagine life without this lowest of low paying jobs? In fact, good on them for not believing the bullshit.

Is that a Texas law?

It IS Texas—really wouldn’t surprise me. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I rarely post but I have to say that this episode made me a diehard Kleine fan. When Jensen joined the group after her talk with K and J, Kleine was the one who stopped dancing and ran to hug Jensen and then the other girls followed. I watched that part three times. She just could not stand it and had to show Jensen how happy she was for her. So sweet. 

• Love 9

Alora Rose is probably not really cut out for Rockettes. She wasn’t accepted until she had tried out 6 times(she mentioned that in a Rockettes video that followed her and Jacie’s audition process. She never really looked super sharp in her movements when I watch the audition so I could see why it took six times. I believe she danced with them two years maybe and then has been off for a period of time.  I think her days of being a Rockette are now behind her.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On 11/13/2021 at 4:15 PM, Jess14 said:

Alora Rose fulfilled her contract her rookie season as well.

Alora Rose fulfilled last year's contract, but what about the one she signed upon entering training camp this year? I don't know what it says, but you are signing it on the understanding that you are committing for the year. Yes, it's an uneven playing field because you can be cut at any time, but that's what you are agreeing to & it's the chance you take if you want to be a DCC.

I don't blame Alora Rose for hedging her bets, but I also understand where Kelli is coming from. I would be madder than hell if I hired someone, trained them, and then they turned around and told me that this was only their plan B and they're going with plan A (I know this didn't happen with AR, but it was her plan) -- especially when you can't replace them after the season starts. When you enter training camp it is with the understanding that you will be there for the year unless cut, not unless/until you find something better.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

Alora Rose fulfilled last year's contract, but what about the one she signed upon entering training camp this year?

I’m guessing she did not, although I have no idea what the terms or actual effective dates of their contracts are in training camp. However, my comment was specifically in reference to the posts about last year’s tryouts and the decision to cut vets for rookies. Last year’s tryouts were for the 2020-2021 year. She and Sydney fulfilled their contracts for that year.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I’m guessing she did not, although I have no idea what the terms or actual effective dates of their contracts are in training camp. However, my comment was specifically in reference to the posts about last year’s tryouts and the decision to cut vets for rookies. Last year’s tryouts were for the 2020-2021 year. She and Sydney fulfilled their contracts for that year.

Yes, but you couched it in a discussion of one-year contracts, making it sound like Alora-Rose finished her contract and didn't owe the organization anything else. That would have been true if she had not chosen to re-audition this year. Once she signed the new contract & then made plans to not honour it, her completion of the previous contract is a moot point so why include it? She made plans to walk out on this year's contract -- that's what matters. If her heart wasn't in Dallas and she really wanted to be in New York, she shouldn't have re-auditioned at all.

Do I blame her for wanting to keep one job while trying out for another? No -- but I also understand why Kelli is upset -- especially when it's the type of job you can't just hire a replacement.

• Love 6
On 11/14/2021 at 4:09 AM, DCC-UK said:
  On 11/13/2021 at 4:15 PM, Jess14 said:

As for Alora Rose this year, I don't blame her for trying to secure another job before leaving the one that she had. That's what most people do. 

On 11/14/2021 at 4:09 AM, DCC-UK said:

That's all I've been thinking about since hearing the news. In the real world, it's exactly what you do! 

Except, this isn't a "real world, regular job," it's a contract job -- and once you sign the contract you're expected to finish it (I know she hadn't been officially selected for the team, but she was using it as a fall back position, assuming she would be on the team if the Rockettes fell through).

Yes, no one is going to die or anything if a DCC walks, but put it in the perspective of other contract jobs to understand why Kelli's upset -- you hire a contractor to build your house. He starts, but then comes to you & tells you he got a better offer to build a mansion. Yea, you can hire another one to complete the job (and Kelli could too at this point in the show), but you'd be upset. Or, you're deciding between 2 contractors and once says "I've put a bid on this other house -- if I get it, I'm leaving yours mid-construction. I'm bidding on yours in case this future one falls through." Who are you going to pick? 

Kelli has once a year to pick a team (build her house). Anyone making plans to leave during or after team selection (during the season) if they get another job is wasting her time. A-R has the right to hedge her bets, but Kelli also has the right to be upset about it (and hold it against her).

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

Yes, but you couched it in a discussion of one-year contracts, making it sound like Alora-Rose finished her contract and didn't owe the organization anything else. That would have been true if she had not chosen to re-audition this year. Once she signed the new contract & then made plans to not honour it, her completion of the previous contract is a moot point so why include it? She made plans to walk out on this year's contract -- that's what matters. If her heart wasn't in Dallas and she really wanted to be in New York, she shouldn't have re-auditioned at all.

Do I blame her for wanting to keep one job while trying out for another? No -- but I also understand why Kelli is upset -- especially when it's the type of job you can't just hire a replacement.

Huh? Those are your words, not mine. In that exact same post, I said that I don’t blame Alora Rose for looking for trying to secure another job before quitting this one, but that I under Kelli’s and Judy’s frustration (and reiterated in another post that I wouldn’t expect them, or any boss, to act any differently than they did). That seems to the same that you’re saying in your second paragraph, so I’m not sure where there’s a disconnect. 

In terms of why I talked about one-year contracts, it’s because there was a discussion about last year’s tryouts. She fulfilled the terms of her contract for last year, so I don’t think she took anyone spot last year, any more than Brennan would have if she had made it, danced, and then retired after last season. Certainly had she made the Rockettes and then DCC after training camp had ended, then yes, she would’ve taken someone’s spot this year. That still has nothing to do with the previous year’s contract that was over and done with.

K&J can cut girls right up until the last hour of training camp for any reason that they want. Alora Rose was not actually on the team yet. So, while I don’t think that a girl should go into training camp if she’s not 100% committed, it doesn’t really bother me if these girls are keeping their options open during that same period when they can be cut. I feel differently when a girl leaves one the final team has been announced. Even then though, life happens. DCCs could easily take an alternate or 2, so that they have replacements available. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, Jess14 said:

Huh? Those are your words, not mine. In that exact same post, I said that I don’t blame Alora Rose for looking for trying to secure another job before quitting this one, but that I under Kelli’s and Judy’s frustration (and reiterated in another post that I wouldn’t expect them, or any boss, to act any differently than they did). That seems to the same that you’re saying in your second paragraph, so I’m not sure where there’s a disconnect. 

In terms of why I talked about one-year contracts, it’s because there was a discussion about last year’s tryouts. She fulfilled the terms of her contract for last year, so I don’t think she took anyone spot last year, any more than Brennan would have if she had made it, danced, and then retired after last season. Certainly had she made the Rockettes and then DCC after training camp had ended, then yes, she would’ve taken someone’s spot this year. That still has nothing to do with the previous year’s contract that was over and done with.

K&J can cut girls right up until the last hour of training camp for any reason that they want. Alora Rose was not actually on the team yet. So, while I don’t think that a girl should go into training camp if she’s not 100% committed, it doesn’t really bother me if these girls are keeping their options open during that same period when they can be cut. I feel differently when a girl leaves one the final team has been announced. Even then though, life happens. DCCs could easily take an alternate or 2, so that they have replacements available. 

Except she did take the spot of someone who could have gone to training camp and potentially made the team. It would be one thing if the Rockettes were her plan B, but they weren't. They were her plan A with the DCC being a time filler until she got there, but K&J found out & booted her.

It may have backfired on her big time and played into her not making the Rockettes either if they heard about what she was doing. If I heard about someone doing this, I would wonder if they would fulfill their contract or leave if something "better" came along.

• Love 2

I've been lurking for many years but finally felt I really needed to comment.  This discussion over Alora Rose makes me feels super uncomfortable because of how people are viewing the rights of employees versus employers.  Even if Alora Rose had signed a contract for the Cowboys for this year, Judy and Kelli could have cut her at any moment for any reason.  That is a huge amount of power to the employer.  When people say that Alora Rose was not fulfilling her commitment to the organization I think we aren't looking at how much power that gives an employer.  Basically we start advocating for the employer when they already had the majority of the power.  Why shouldn't someone be able to look for another position especially when there is no guarantee that they will be allowed to remain in this contract that they've signed.  If DCC wants to have such an employer favored contract they should expect that if people are given an opportunity to a fairer job that gives the employee more benefits they will take it in a heartbeat.  

As others have pointed out it the organization is the one who has decided 36 is the number and has decided not to have alternates.  That's on them, not their employees.  Alora Rose is not responsible for bailing out Kelli and Judy for bad decision making.  It literally isn't her job.  Kelli and Judy should have realized by now that people may have to leave the team for a variety of reasons throughout the year.  Not have 2 alternates is crazy.  There is not a Broadway show that does not have alternates in case someone gets sick, etc.  How does a supposedly professional organization not realize the benefit to this.  

Most contracts have some sort of language to deal with breaking the contract.  I'm sure the DCC have that language too.  I don't think we need to worry about whether the DCC can handle a broken contract.  These literally happen all the time.  Breaking a contract does not make you a bad person or a bad employee.  There can be many reasons to do so.  Getting a better paying, more secure job in the city where your community is seems like a pretty good reason to break a contract.    

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

Except she did take the spot of someone who could have gone to training camp and potentially made the team. It would be one thing if the Rockettes were her plan B, but they weren't. They were her plan A with the DCC being a time filler until she got there, but K&J found out & booted her.

It may have backfired on her big time and played into her not making the Rockettes either if they heard about what she was doing. If I heard about someone doing this, I would wonder if they would fulfill their contract or leave if something "better" came along.

I initially responded because you said that my comment about Alora Rose fulfilling her rookie year contract meant that I was claiming that she had no obligation to the DCCs her second year - something I did not say. If we’re now talking about Alora Rose’s second training camp, I haven’t even said that Alora Rose was right to do what she did. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong choice here, actually. I simply said I don’t blame her for it. I don’t know when she decided to try out for the Rockettes (could’ve been after training camp had started). Also, the DCCs take varying numbers of girls into training camp, so I don’t think there’s anything to suggest that they really wanted to take another girl but were constrained by an arbitrary cap. 

However, even if Alora Rose did know that she would try out for the Rockettes before training camp and even if there was a set amount of girls allowed into training camp, I still would not blame Alora Rose for what she did. That doesn’t mean Kelli and Judy don’t also have a right to be upset, and I don’t blame them for confronting her and cutting her when they found out. Kelli and Judy’s #1 priority is the DCCs. I think it’s fine for Alora Rose’s #1 priority to be Alora Rose and her career. We’ve seen the DCCs string girls along for several weeks and then cut them on the last night of training camp. I bet some of those girls missed out on other opportunities and probably wish that they would’ve auditioned somewhere else during the process. I think it’s just a complicated situation.

If you disagree, that’s fine. We don’t have to come to any sort of consensus. 

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Also, the DCCs take varying numbers of girls into training camp, so I don’t think there’s anything to suggest that they really wanted to take another girl but were constrained by an arbitrary cap. 

This. The # into camp varies.  And agreed -  it's fine for K/J to be peeved. But it's honestly not that big a deal. 

Last year K/J claimed that their one week vet/two week tcc evaluation period was all that was needed to make team decisions (during a global health crisis no less). So why exactly do they need to capture 52 young women for an entire summer of training camp? Firstly, the # of girls in training camp has increased over the years. Secondly, they used to actually "train" non-dancers to be on the team. But now these girls arrive pre-trained. They are even learning dances via video (which we heard Kelli say on this past episode). Do they really need that many girls to commit to nothing but "possible DCC" for that long? I think we know the answer. Reality TV. The attached show sort of invalidates the idea of "best practice" when it comes to running a business.

I get why K/J are annoyed...but then maybe they should have chosen to stick with the vets who lived and breathed DCC in 2020.

Okay I admit my bias. Still bitter about those vet cuts last year 😂

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

I understand being bitter about last year. Still Brennan knew she wasn’t physically ready after having COVID. She should have taken the year they offered - but she’s not as good as many of the rookies, so maybe she would have just been delaying her cut.

Hannah is the only “wrongly” cut veteran who could compete with the dancers on this team this year. 

I'm so impressed with these girls. I think the video auditions plus learning the dances from video are massive improvements to their process. So is helping the girls find an alumni to stay with fora while when they are young and new

Edited by rose711
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, rose711 said:

I understand being bitter about last year. Still Brennan knew she wasn’t physically ready after having COVID. She should have taken the year they offered - but she’s not as good as many of the rookies, so maybe she would have just been delaying her cut.

Hannah is the only “wrongly” cut veteran who could compete with the dancers on this team this year. 

I'm so impressed with these girls. I think the video auditions plus learning the dances from video are massive improvements to their process. So is helping the girls find an alumni to stay with fora while when they are young and new

I think both Brennan and Hannah were in a "Danged if you do and danged if you don't" with that whole "year off" Kelli and Judy were offering.  If they didn't take the year off, they risked getting cut.  If they DID take the year off, it was more than likely Kelli and Judy would take it as they weren't committed enough to the team (or whatever BS reason they came up with) to cut the girls either in Training Camp or Finals depending on how things went this year.  Brennan and Hannah were likely going to get cut one way or the other.  At least, this way, they can look back and, whether or not they regret it depends on what was REALLY said during the exit interviews instead of what was shown.

• Love 16
22 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

I legit cried when Jensen went back on the field and Kleine ran over and hugged her. That was awesome. 

I have no idea if they cut Ava, I’m unspoiled, so looking forward to next week. 

Some one on Reddit made an entire post about how Kleine’s happiness for others was fake. Got called a toxic child when I disagreed lol. Happy to see others enjoy Kleine’s positive personality. Seems authentic and genuine to me!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, evasworld123 said:

Some one on Reddit made an entire post about how Kleine’s happiness for others was fake. Got called a toxic child when I disagreed lol. Happy to see others enjoy Kleine’s positive personality. Seems authentic and genuine to me!

Omg that person was out of pocket. When it comes to DCC, we can't take things personally! I also like Klein's positivity and don't find it fake :)

• Love 12

NFL cheerleaders are an interesting phenomenon in terms of labor law. The IRS mandates that if someone is a 1099 (independent contractor), then the contractor decides when, where and how to do the work. There must be independence there. It has to do with preventing companies from treating people as if they were employees, making employee-style demands, yet not withholding taxes from payments (nor providing benefits). I know of two companies that were audited by the IRS because they were forcing 1099s to behave as employees.

I assume the DCC are contracted 1099s, yet they have zero control over their work environment. A cheerleader is not the same thing as a construction contractor, who has a much bigger responsibility and is often not an independent contractor but is a corporation.

There is equal risk on both sides - the cheerleaders can quit and the Cowboys can terminate a contract. It's just that this organization does not acknowledge that kind of arrangement.

I give Alora Rose credit for handling Kelli's and Judy's anger gracefully. Alora Rose was ambushed on camera. I understand the Cowboys' frustration with Alora Rose, but these things are to be expected and prepared for.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

Came across this which shows both Alora Rose and Jacie trying out for the Rockettes in 2017. Jacie said this was her third time auditioning which means she auditioned while she was still a DCC. So why is it OK for her but not for Alora Rose? Double standard? Or did Kelli just not hear about this one?

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

Came across this which shows both Alora Rose and Jacie trying out for the Rockettes in 2017. Jacie said this was her third time auditioning which means she auditioned while she was still a DCC. So why is it OK for her but not for Alora Rose? Double standard? Or did Kelli just not hear about this one?

8 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Good question.

It's possible Jacie auditioned for the Rockettes prior to being a DCC.

• Useful 4
5 hours ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

Ok but TEA. You ain't wrong.

Well there is more than one audition for the Rockettes in a year, unlike the DCC. Actually I just found an article where Jacie talks about her auditions with the Rockettes. I googled her name and it's on dmagazine.com 

Edited by pinkandsparkly13
Typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

Also, Alora's face looks so much different here. She's had some great work done, I wouldn't have guessed before seeing this.

14 hours ago, StellaCL said:

Also, Alora's face looks so much different here. She's had some great work done, I wouldn't have guessed before seeing this.

Who would've known ( when the video was made) that former DCC and future DCC would be featured?

• Love 2
On 11/18/2021 at 12:20 PM, Peanutflutter33 said:

Well DCC is a complete Double Standard for everything so I wouldn't be surprised if Jacie auditioned while still in boots!

• Love 1
On 11/18/2021 at 12:20 PM, Peanutflutter33 said:

I think the timing of training camp and Rockette tryouts was different then. The DCC also did not have the weekly Christmas commitments they have now.  I also would be suprised to hear if Jacie would have mentioned it until she made it.

• Love 1