Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E17: Down & Dirty Decision Day

• Start Topic

The only two people I'd want to hang out with at a bar would be Brett and Johnny.  Brett seems cool, and while I wouldn't want Johnny as a boyfriend or husband, he seems like he'd be fun.   I don't care about the Johnny hate. 😄

I was thinking about that this morning - but more in terms of couples. This season, there wasn't a single couple that I'd want to claim as friends. From past seasons, I would have had dinner with Austin and Jessica; Deonna and Greg (and Sandy and Declan); Miles and Karen; and probably others I'm not remembering. Much to my surprise, I also ended up liking AJ and Steph, though really not until their Couples Cam days. AJ really worked my nerves during their MAFS season.

Didn't care for Iris but I thought she dressed beautifully and Karen too. Chic and classy.

Agreed, though Iris veered too far into late-80's Whitney Houston for my taste at times. Maybe because I lived through the 80's once already? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Elizzikra said:

Much to my surprise, I also ended up liking AJ and Steph, though really not until their Couples Cam days. AJ really worked my nerves during their MAFS season.

I, too, couldn't stand AJ until seeing him more on Couples Cam.  Can't say I actually like him, but he seems to have calmed down a LOT and doesn't always have to be the center of attention like he used to be.  

I credit Stephanie with that.  She's very laid back and I'm sure she was alarmed by his behavior at first, but gave him a chance (or two) and with time got to know the real guy.  I actually liked the show where he bought a broken down bike and fixed it up.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

The rumors go to the point that Ryan expressed in an Unfiltered episode that many times she doesn't come back to the apartment until after 2 a.m

I watched that episode.  Ryan had commented that  he had finally decided to try to make it work with Brett.  But Bret lt didn’t come home until 2:30 two nights in a row.  I think it was between week 5 and 6.   Jamie didn’t follow up by asking where Brett had been.  

Ryan was already sleeping on  the couch by then. Ryan didn’t really try because they never really connected even after that. By the time retreat weekend happened Brett was done.  

If she was seeing someone, that was wrong.  Just as the dating app was wrong.  If something happened it didn’t last long because she was rumored to be seeing Gil after decision day(April). But Gil supposedly brought a new girlfriend to the reunion fiilming(July).

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

Also, about the dating app. . . more spoilers that say that PRODUCTION called all of the guys together and told them (about 2 weeks before the end) to do something with their profiles on any dating apps and that is what Ryan was doing. Now, why they would tell the men to deactivate their profiles 2 weeks BEFORE the show ended does not make sense to me. That would have been something they would have said at the beginning of the show. But, supposedly, that was what Ryan was doing when "a friend" let Brett know that Ryan was playing with the dating app. 

That seems to support the theory I expressed in last week's thread that the whole dating app thing was instigated by production and that the "friend" was also on the production staff.  Something very similar has happened in some previous seasons and it's just too coincidental for me to believe that every time someone's "friend" just happens to see their spouse suddenly posting on a dating site.

Also, in the clip of the reunion, it was funny that Bao said something about Zack not being too bad, which goes to the fact that, supposedly Bao and Zack have been dating.

Yeah, that didn't get by me, I saw that!

• Love 4

Did we ever find out if Brett and Ryan consummated the marriage or could she never be sure he liked her enough to do the deed with him? A big downside to MAFS would be developing a crush on someone who doesn't want you. Brett said she had a crush on Ryan and he was not interested. Sad for Brett. I hope she finds someone good.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I think they were trying to get Zach to communicate clearly. “I want a divorce … from these 8 weeks” makes no sense. 

Johnny is shockingly unaware. “Was the marriage that bad?” Boy, you were in tears the whole time. Shut up.

Translation: "I want to pretend the last 8 weeks did not happen and chose to not learn a damn thing."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, coconutcookie said:

Did we ever find out if Brett and Ryan consummated the marriage or could she never be sure he liked her enough to do the deed with him? A big downside to MAFS would be developing a crush on someone who doesn't want you. Brett said she had a crush on Ryan and he was not interested. Sad for Brett. I hope she finds someone good.

I think she got over her crush. I thought it was great when her sister (I think?) said last episode that Brett hadn’t gotten what she wanted either, when much was made about how she wasn’t Ryan’s type. She also pointed out last night that she was “waiting for a feeling” too, but she was at least willing to be there, to try to put in the work. I think the bloom fell off the rose for good at the retreat.

Brett needs a cute quirky down to earth liberal dude with a sense of humor (Ryan doesn’t have much of one, from what I could see) and good manners. I hope she finds him.

ETA I doubt they slept together. They weren’t even literally sleeping together, in the same bed. Im not sure they did more than kiss at the wedding.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Rachel talks so  slowly that I actually feel there is something not quite right about her cognitively. 

I believe she is a special education teacher.  That may be why she speaks that way.

• Love 1

I was a Special Education teacher for many years and I never spoke that slowly to my students. Rachel's title says Special Education Evaluator, which, at least when I was teaching,  means she tests kids to see if they qualify for placement in Special Ed programs.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Johnny is all fouled up. He is a whimpering ball of confusion and insecurity on steroids. With minimal effort he could have had a wonderful wife. What a dolt.

Ryan isn't much better. Put very little effort in. I don't believe they will remain friends. Opening a dating app...Should have manned up made no excuses but how stupid can you get? Really can't wait for a few measly weeks?

Myrla and Gil was the biggest surprise. I stuck a fork in them shortly after they married. She has warmed up a bit, become a little more human and compassionate. Still not sure how long Gil with have the stomach for it. She's not as hot looking as she thinks she is. Time is catching up fast.

Seems like Michaela and Zacks marriage was doomed from the start. I really liked Michaela at her wedding and for a short while. Then I saw the other side. I don't understand what Zack was attempting to communicate. Guess I'll have to watch the reunion.

Michaela looked like a rodeo clown in that outfit.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Zack was talking this way last week too.  I suspect the experts told him to confuse her so she wouldn't blow up on Decision Day.  He was trying to spin a negative as a positive to keep her in a perpetual state of confusion and/or dissonance and unable to react.  It seems to have worked, at least for now, but watch out when she gets wise to it.

I wonder given the rumors about Bao and Zach if that doesn't account for the tension between Michaela and Bao on Unfiltered that people were talking about.  Just a thought.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Myrla : My ring is Ugly ! The wedding was terrible ! 

Me : maybe use those adjectives to describe your eyeshadow instead 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

And people have been dragging Gil for speaking out on her negativity.  It's more than negativity; it's rudeness.  

• Love 11
6 hours ago, sara416 said:

Can anyone source Brett's Decision Day dress? I have nowhere to wear anything like that, but it was really pretty. 

Now, see, what I would say is, "I have nothing to put in anything like that, but it was really pretty." 😆

Oh, wait; maybe I'm thinking of her  Reunion green plunger. 🤭

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 2
23 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I thought Myrla looked like a wanna be child hooker in that short white dress and those stiletto boots.  That eye makeup was awful.  She tries too hard and it doesn't work.

Bao looks lovely.

Never mind Myrla.  Could Rachel’s dress be ant more tighter and shorter?  Looked like she was going to a stripper convention instead of a marriage decision.  I hope she had underwear on.  Maybe not.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Sycophant4Lease said:

Anyone else notice the grin on Bao's face as she exited thru the doors?  My wife and I re-watched it at least 3 times.  High-fives after each watch.

I rewound it twice too 😃

• Love 4
23 hours ago, kristen111 said:

She may spend lots of money on clothes and shoes, but I don’t see it.  Didn’t ca re for those boots with that dress.  Bao looked classy.

Michaela must have gone horseback riding after the show.  Those boots were made for riding.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I think she got over her crush. I thought it was great when her sister (I think?) said last episode that Brett hadn’t gotten what she wanted either, when much was made about how she wasn’t Ryan’s type. She also pointed out last night that she was “waiting for a feeling” too, but she was at least willing to be there, to try to put in the work. I think the bloom fell off the rose for good at the retreat.

Brett needs a cute quirky down to earth liberal dude with a sense of humor (Ryan doesn’t have much of one, from what I could see) and good manners. I hope she finds him.

ETA I doubt they slept together. They weren’t even literally sleeping together, in the same bed. Im not sure they did more than kiss at the wedding.

I don't think they had sex.  Ryan needs a personality or prozac lol.  I think Brett is pretty, charming and a nice, fun person..... even if he had been into her - I'm not sure she could have tolerated him for too long. 

Edited by endure
  • Love 3

I thought Myrla looked like a wanna be child hooker in that short white dress and those stiletto boots.  That eye makeup was awful.  She tries too hard and it doesn't work.

Bao looks lovely.

I don’t get Myrla’s shiny face with minimal makeup .. then Bam, those eyelashes hit you.  They look like they don’t belong there without makeup.  Might as well talk about the straight hair hanging also.  Not too flattering.  She just doesn’t look finished.

• Love 9

In retrospect, the couple I had the most fun following this season was Myrla and Gil.  WHY?!  My enjoyment of their mutually sophisticated banter.  They both 'GOT' each other's dark humor, & I think that played a huge part of what brought them together.  Yes, I was at times getting a little pissy about Gil's occasional 'putdowns' of Myrla's "tell it like it is" reveals.....BUT...I think that much of that banter was a key to why they appealed to each other.  Myrla, while having fun with her 'diva' image, seemed to respect and take in what Gil admitted hurt him in their relationship.  She seemed to WANT to be a kinder wife.  And I think that Gil "read" that sincerity in her eyes.

And, finally, YES! -- while some viewers were put off by Myrla's "Tell it like it is" comments re her actual wedding day (the 'Experts' cliché of every couple's dream day), I enjoyed her admission that that was not HER childhood fantasy.  (I.E. My own younger sister wanted the whole "schmear" for her special day.  While my twin and I NEVER did.  My twin, who married an Englishman who settled with her here in NYC, had a small lovely luncheon at a pretty hotel with family and friends.  (Like Myrla, we've NEVER enjoyed being part of a massive event.  And I...lol...have been an actor.  So much for actors 'loving the limelight!!) 🤩 

Quite honestly, it did my heart good to see and hear a MAFS cast member spill out what we - as viewers - have LONG critiqued the EXPERTS for:  "selecting 'matches' that probably won't match!  But it was nice to see a pair - Myrla and Gil - demonstrate that SOME of these set-up frustrating couples CAN beat the odds.  (I always felt that they were the Production's top seasonal choice for "no-go's' but great viewer 'make-fun-of' entertainment.")  🤡😆 ..... SAD 🥺 !!!

As for their future 🤔  ...who knows??  But thanks Myrla and Gil for giving this show a lift of sophistication and some rare wit for the viewers.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
23 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Just checking in (because I had to watch Survivor). I wasn’t invested in this season but from what I watched I hope Bao shoots down Johnny. 

I thought they would have to call the ambulance for Johnny.  He was a wreck just to say yes.  Like he was going to the gas chamber.  Meanwhile she said no, and he looked relieved.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, TzuShih said:

In retrospect, the couple I had the most fun following this season was Myrla and Gil.  WHY?!  My enjoyment of their mutually sophisticated banter.  They both 'GOT' each other's dark humor, & I think that played a huge part of what brought them together.  Yes, I was at times getting a little pissy about Gil's occasional 'putdowns' of Myrla's "tell it like it is" reveals.....BUT...I think that much of that banter was a key to why they appealed to each other.  Myrla, while having fun with her 'diva' image, seemed to respect and take in what Gil admitted hurt him in their relationship.  She seemed to WANT to be a kinder wife.  And I think that Gil "read" that sincerity in her eyes.

And, finally, YES! -- while some viewers were put off by Myrla's "Tell it like it is" comments re her actual wedding day (the 'Experts' cliché of every couple's dream day), I enjoyed her admission that that was not HER childhood fantasy.  (I.E. My own younger sister wanted the whole "schmear" for her special day.  While my twin and I NEVER did.  My twin, who married an Englishman who settled with her here in NYC, had a small lovely luncheon at a pretty hotel with family and friends.  (Like Myrla, we've NEVER enjoyed being part of a massive event.  And I...lol...have been an actor.  So much for actors 'loving the limelight!!) 🤩 

Quite honestly, it did my heart good to see and hear a MAFS cast member spill out what we - as viewers - have LONG critiqued the EXPERTS for:  "selecting 'matches' that probably won't match!  But it was nice to see a pair - Myrla and Gil - demonstrate that SOME of these set-up frustrating couples CAN beat the odds.  (I always felt that they were the Production's top seasonal choice for "no-go's' but great viewer 'make-fun-of' entertainment.")  🤡😆 ..... SAD 🥺 !!!

As for their future 🤔  ...who knows??  But thanks Myrla and Gil for giving this show a lift of sophistication and some rare wit for the viewers.

They both reminded me of the Thin Man series.  Always bantering and loving it.  They were refreshing.  The best of the bunch.

• Love 2

Rachel and Jose zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. 

Rachel         talking     so        slowly       but      she     wants       to       stay        married.  🙄

Maybe English is her second language.  Was she born here?  Why does she say each word so precise?  Takes her twenty minutes to get one sentence out word for word.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Never mind Myrla.  Could Rachel’s dress be ant more tighter and shorter?  Looked like she was going to a stripper convention instead of a marriage decision.  I hope she had underwear on.  Maybe not.

I'll recheck and let you know...

• LOL 5
9 hours ago, Ms.C. said:

I think it is odd so many are critical of Rachel’s speech patterns.  She speaks clearly and with thought.  I read a long time ago that Europeans think Americans sound like seals.  They love the Brits of course. Personally, I love slower speech.   I think your hearing an educated, thoughtful speaker who weighs her words.  She is very intentional in what she says.     Want to hear slow, go to east coast elite.  Remember Jackie Kennedy?  

BTW, they were my favorite couple.  Both have post graduate degrees and are in challenging jobs.  They were most ready for marriage and worked positively together to make it happen.  So many comments about Jose early on, I wondered if a bit of bigotry behind it all.  It was clear early on they were suited.  Except for the locking out.  Glad that was repaired.  

Hi Rachel!

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

I’m watching again and realized Gil preaches a lot.  He’s a know it all about everything.  Plus, he always has to tell Myrla what’s wrong with her.  She just sits there and listens.  The more she takes it, the more he does it.  I’d be pissed.  He acts like he’s better and smarter than her, and she takes it with a smile.  One day, she will explode.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Michaela’s dress was ok, but the boots were horrible. 

Agreed, I was pretty surprised by her outfit! Michaela’s personality is a disaster, but she has always dressed very nicely — throughout the season, I thought her style was much better than anything we saw from Myrla’s expensive closet. I wonder if the show sends them to a particular store for decision day, like they do for the weddings?

• Love 5
19 hours ago, endure said:

It really baffles me too why she accepts his criticism so well, it just doesn’t fit right.

After seeing the show and reading all the comments, I think none stood together.  I think they all were paid to say certain things.  There wasn’t one good match.  Plus other things that just didn’t sit right.  Ridiculous things.  See you all next season.  It’s been a pleasure snarking with you all, as usual.  Xo

• Love 6

I don't think Rachel speaks clearly at all. She speaks haltingly and like forming every word is a chore that requires her full concentration. It's not just teacher-talk, not even special ed teacher talk. She sounds like she's having to re-learn to use that part of her brain after a traumatic injury. Not a joke: every time she launches into one of her crushingly obvious explanations, I instinctively reach to set her to 1.5x speed like I do with slow-talking podcasts. Always sad when I remember that's not an option.

Bao, a 35-year-old woman with three broken engagements and a fresh divorce, looking like a "porcelain doll." LMAO never change, racism.

Gil's mouth said he wants to stay with Myrla, but his strained grimacing and deflated energy told a different story.

Sucks that there was still a reunion to look forward to but so much has been spoiled here anyway because tHe ShOW's oVeR... I skipped the last page and a half or so because I didn't want anything else ruined, so sorry if I duplicated anyone else's comments.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I don’t get Myrla’s shiny face with minimal makeup .. then Bam, those eyelashes hit you.  They look like they don’t belong there without makeup.  Might as well talk about the straight hair hanging also.  Not too flattering.  She just doesn’t look finished.

For someone that's so particular and critical about everything Myrla sure doesn't look in the mirror and see herself the way others see her, does she?  If that's what she thinks is her best look, I could think of a few thousand stylists that would beg to differ with her and would gladly educate her on how she could look much better.  But I'm sure she wouldn't let them unfortunately.  She even thinks she knows better than the experts.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, TzuShih said:

And, finally, YES! -- while some viewers were put off by Myrla's "Tell it like it is" comments re her actual wedding day (the 'Experts' cliché of every couple's dream day), I enjoyed her admission that that was not HER childhood fantasy.

Saying that Myrla's comments about hating her wedding was merely an admission that it was not her childhood fantasy is putting it mildly to say the least.  She could have been more tactful about it.  Instead she took out a hacksaw and went for the jugular.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I thought they would have to call the ambulance for Johnny.  He was a wreck just to say yes.  Like he was going to the gas chamber.  Meanwhile she said no, and he looked relieved.

Yeah that's because of the theory I proposed upthread that he really didn't want to say yes but was doing it to please production.  They probably asked him to do it just for the drama, being 99% sure Bao was going to say no anyway.  But at the last minute he was probably freaking out thinking she may actually surprise everyone and say "yes".  Hence his relief when she did say no.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Bao, a 35-year-old woman with three broken engagements and a fresh divorce, looking like a "porcelain doll." LMAO never change, racism.

FWIW, I didn't take that comment to be coming from racism at all.  It was complimenting her flawless skin and style of makeup.  It's clear to me that Bao herself was going for a certain look which she achieved quite well.   I inherited my mother's porcelain dolls and none of them are Asian.

• Love 20
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

FWIW, I didn't take that comment to be coming from racism at all.  It was complimenting her flawless skin and style of makeup.  It's clear to me that Bao herself was going for a certain look which she achieved quite well.   I inherited my mother's porcelain dolls and none of them are Asian.

Thank you.  Very harsh and hurtful.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, endure said:

I don't think they had sex.  Ryan needs a personality or prozac lol.  I think Brett was pretty, charming and a nice fun person.....I think even if he had been into her - I'm not sure she could have tolerated him for too long. 

8 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I don't think Rachel speaks clearly at all. She speaks haltingly and like forming every word is a chore that requires her full concentration. It's not just teacher-talk, not even special ed teacher talk. She sounds like she's having to re-learn to use that part of her brain after a traumatic injury. Not a joke: every time she launches into one of her crushingly obvious explanations, I instinctively reach to set her to 1.5x speed like I do with slow-talking podcasts. Always sad when I remember that's not an option.

Gil's mouth said he wants to stay with Myrla, but his strained grimacing and deflated energy told a different story.

Sucks that there was still a reunion to look forward to but so much has been spoiled here anyway because tHe ShOW's oVeR... I skipped the last page and a half or so because I didn't want anything else ruined, so sorry if I duplicated anyone else's comments.

How is that racism? I'm confused. Being called a porcelain doll is a compliment. 

• Love 6

Isn't it obvious that people looking for perfect and self-centered people are NOT marriage material???!!! It's hard to believe they didn't recruit Johnny & Ryan and those fools actually signed up to be MAFS when they had such ridiculous expectations. That's what they need to explain to people after saying they're not getting a model. 😅😂 I don't get it. Guys are supposed to be logical, how could they expect perfect? Makes no sense! Were their mothers perfect? Just taking the commitment seriously isn't enough, it takes WORK! They still have to start from scratch. You can't work with someone that won't work with you though. Poor Brett. I'm glad the experience didn't make her act hateful. She was entitled to act wronged though. On some level, none of this season's participants seemed to be marriage material. There didn't seem to be any attempting to resolve differences, just constantly stating them. 😅

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

She even thinks she knows better than the experts.

To be fair, the collective knowledge of the experts could fit on Jose’s whiteboard with plenty of room to spare. I would be more confident in the wisdom and advice of the average American middle school student than a single one of these “experts”.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Michaela & Zack's back & forth gave me whiplash! 😅😫 First, he got her to agree to divorce & continue a relationship on the retreat, then she disagreed with that when he said marriage to her was too difficult. Then, apparently, he got her to agree to divorce and continue again by the last group meet pre-decision day. Then, on DD she said she wanted to stay married & didn't want to start over & date. Then, at the post-decision day group meet, AGAIN, she agreed to divorce and continue whatever. WHAAAT??? Like, WHY??!! 😱 I hope KF asks her that at the reunion. Zack also seems crazy for continuing with that or that he would want to continue when she keeps switching it up. They just need to part ways. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lindz said:

Michaela & Zack's back & forth gave me whiplash! 😅😫 First, he got her to agree to divorce & continue a relationship on the retreat, then she disagreed with that when he said marriage to her was too difficult. Then, apparently, he got her to agree to divorce and continue again by the last group meet pre-decision day. Then, on DD she said she wanted to stay married & didn't want to start over & date. Then, at the post-decision day group meet, AGAIN, she agreed to divorce and continue whatever. WHAAAT??? Like, WHY??!! 😱 I hope KF asks her that at the reunion. Zack also seems crazy for continuing with that or that he would want to continue when she keeps switching it up. They just need to part ways. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

I feel like Zack is very mentally immature and Michaela is very emotionally immature. They both need to be single and not drag anyone into their craziness. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Lindz said:

Haha! I’m still not even sure what they decided to do, do they? 

• Love 4

It's funny how the spouses were similar: Ryan & Brett were too punk to just say they're done. Johnny & Bao were so unhappy with their spouses expectations. This one's tricky. Bao didn't like Johnny's expectations of her & Johnny made himself unhappy because of his unrealistic expectations. Zack & Michaela refused to quit, to their detriment & didn't like what negative* thing their partner did. Myrla practically complained about everything & Gil complained about her complaining. 😂 José & Rachel both wanted a successful marriage & idealized their marriage too much that when reality hit, it almost didn't survive. It's like one's problems fed the other's and it just repeated over & over in an endless cycle. It's hard to say who started it because the other person could've responded correctly. 😅 Did they seriously wait til DD to fully let their spouse know how they feel? Seems like something a spouse does when they've decided to get a divorce, otherwise, that's so cowardly. If you want it to work, you tell your spouse how you're feeling & work through it. Bao. I wonder when she decided to get a divorce. Probably when they got back from the retreat. Then there were those who still wouldn't say it all. So annoying. Oh well. They're getting divorced. It doesn't matter. I wish KF would ask when they made their decisions.

Edited by Lindz