Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Shooter

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing November 21, 2021:

Mel's military proves critical when McCall is hired by the D.A. to find a sniper; Delilah experiences PTSD as a result of the shootings.

My thanks to @paigow for finding the synopsis, since the database is still sleeping on the job!

The second week in a row where the client didn't really need equalizing since everybody would have been on the case. It was too much of NYPD has to be Keystone Cops so Robyn and Melody must save them. Everything Mel saw would have been seen by others with just as much experience as Mel, who didn't retire from public service.

They must be out of ideals of how to make the concept work so we just have a cop who acts without search warrants.

Edited by Raja

I think it's good to see Robyn have a family life also, so I liked that that she chose Delilah over the mission this time. I don't need that to happen every week, but occaisionally is fine.

I don't remember if Robyn ever mentioned she was a mother to Detective Dante -- or did he only figure it out in this episode? (I know the last episode he assumed she didn't have boys, so... ?)

It was nice to have an episode with Mel more in the action and story.

I wonder what Aunt Vi has to say about Bishop?

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Trini said:

I think it's good to see Robyn have a family life also, so I liked that that she chose Delilah over the mission this time. I don't need that to happen every week, but occaisionally is fine.

I don't remember if Robyn ever mentioned she was a mother to Detective Dante -- or did he only figure it out in this episode? (I know the last episode he assumed she didn't have boys, so... ?)

It was nice to have an episode with Mel more in the action and story.

Agreed that it was nice to see that Robyn chose Delilah over the job.  And that when Delilah thought that it was about the sniper, that she urged Robyn to go.  I think this great, it shows that both of them are making efforts to understand why the other did what they did.  Delilah knows that saving the city from the sniper is important, and that sometimes Robyn has responsibilities.

I don't think Robyn ever mentioned to Dante that she is a mother.  Heck, I think he doesn't even know her name, he must just be calling her "heyyyyy...... youuuuu" like when Jerry Seinfeld didn't remember the name of the "here's a hint, it rhymes with a female body part" woman he was with (Mulva?)  But he said he has seen many people get that phone call and he knows instantly the signs that something is wrong with a child.

Loved getting more backstory about Mel.  Had we even heard her last name before?  If so, I must have missed it.  I liked hearing about her past life as a sniper and the difficulties she had.  Good to see that her skill set helped a lot in this story.

I guess Bishop has never met Vi or Delilah before, considering the two of them didn't know about Robyn's secret life until a few months ago.  Will be nice if he regularly gets together with them, would give Chris Noth another thing to do on the show besides always popping in as some kind of secret source or deus ex machina.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Loved getting more backstory about Mel.  Had we even heard her last name before?  If so, I must have missed it.  I liked hearing about her past life as a sniper and the difficulties she had.  Good to see that her skill set helped a lot in this story.

I think we did or maybe I knew she was Filipino along with Laya Deleon Hayes/Delilah's real  mother going in and even head cannoned that she set Robyn up with her unnamed ex in the first place

• Useful 2
15 hours ago, janeta said:

Nah…he totally would have policed his brass….

That occurred to me as well.  The only reason I could figure is that he didn't want to remain a secret...

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Agreed that it was nice to see that Robyn chose Delilah over the job.  And that when Delilah thought that it was about the sniper, that she urged Robyn to go.  I think this great, it shows that both of them are making efforts to understand why the other did what they did.  Delilah knows that saving the city from the sniper is important, and that sometimes Robyn has responsibilities.

I also liked that.  Especially that Delilah was willing to let her mom go and do what needed to be done.

As soon as Robyn discussed therapy for Delilah I was thinking they can't just go to some regular counselor because there would always be the chance that Delilah would want to spill everything.  A counselor might either think she needed even more help or cause trouble for Robyn.  Didn't peg Bishop but it made sense.  I don't know if Chris Noth is still working on the SATC thing and that's why his appearances are limited or whether or not they simply haven't figured out how to put him in the stories more.

I did like learning more about Mel.  I find it a little funny that the DA and even cops were willing to turn the lead over to Robyn.  I also found it more odd that the DA wanted to have more of an official relationship with her.  Don't know where this is heading.

• Love 6

I think the writers heard the audience criticisms of Delilah last season and have been making an effort to adjust her character. Recognizing her mom was helping with the sniper case and saying the city needed her more in that moment was *huge* character growth.  I also liked they’re addressing post-traumatic stress in the wake of gun violence (which I don’t think is talked about enough) and talked about Delilah going to therapy to address her PTSD in a positive way with no shame or judgment.

• Love 11

In terms of getting Delilah therapy, they could say that Robyn is a "private detective" and leave it at that. It could explain why she is sometimes in danger, and that she has law enforcement contacts.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

I guess Bishop has never met Vi or Delilah before, considering the two of them didn't know about Robyn's secret life until a few months ago.  Will be nice if he regularly gets together with them, would give Chris Noth another thing to do on the show besides always popping in as some kind of secret source or deus ex machina.

I like this particular development. I enjoy the chemistry between Robyn and Bishop and I'll be interested to see how he interacts with the family. I also think it's good for Robyn's family to have someone to call if Robyn goes missing or gets hurt. She needs that kind of back-up.

Dante saying that he recognized what Robyn's call looked like is one of those things that make me like a character. He's a divorced father and a cop. Yeah, he knew what he was seeing and I like how he covered for Robyn with the DA.

Agree with all the comments about Delilah. I don't cringe when I see her on the screen anymore. D's friend taking her to the park is exactly the kind of thoughtless thing teenagers do and I wanted to grab her by the scruff of the neck.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Trini said:

I watch this on Paramount Plus, which doesn't have season 1 available, at least for now.  I wanted to go back to the episode where Delilah's friend was shot, because I couldn't remember if Robyn told Dante that Delilah was her daughter.  If she didn't, then he figured it out this episode.  He said something about seeing enough mothers take off after getting a phone call to know what it looks like. Plus, he's a parent of two young sons.  I would think he'd recognize the look of panic a parent gets when they get a call about their child. 

I liked Mel's backstory as well. 

8 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

As soon as Robyn discussed therapy for Delilah I was thinking they can't just go to some regular counselor because there would always be the chance that Delilah would want to spill everything.  A counselor might either think she needed even more help or cause trouble for Robyn.  Didn't peg Bishop but it made sense.

I appreciate more Bishop.  But I have to admit, when Robyn said "he's family," I thought the ex-hubby would walk in because he was also military intelligence.  At least, that's the backstory I've given the faceless ex. That might have been super overwhelming for Delilah though, so I guess that's a no. 

• Love 3
On 11/21/2021 at 11:50 PM, Trini said:

"Well hello Mr. Hunk-a-Dunk. Will your friends Jessie L. Martin and Chris Meloni from another network be stopping by too?  A lady likes to have options."

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, quirkygal said:

"Well hello Mr. Hunk-a-Dunk. Will your friends Jessie L. Martin and Chris Meloni from another network be stopping by too?  A lady likes to have options."

First, Vi would probably actually say, "Hello, Detective Mike Logan!"

And Bishop would ask Aunt Vi, "Vi? Since when? I always knew you as public defender Shambala Green!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
Just now, possibilities said:

Maybe he'll be like Columbo's wife. Much discussed, but never seen.

Or Maris on Frasier.

Or Vera on Cheers (although a stand in did play her during the episode with the Thanksgiving food fight when she got walloped with a cream pie to the face, so the audience still had no idea what Norm's wife looked like!).

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Trini said:

When are we going to meet the ex-husband, though? I feel like he should be part of Delilah's story at least. Whatever stuntcasting they do better be worth it for the wait.

If they stunt cast do they ignore the Asian in Delilah, which is becoming more problematical every year? Last season I was initially naming rapper turned actors who served as Queen Latifah's love interest in previous movies

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe he'll be like Columbo's wife. Much discussed, but never seen.

So never show up until he gets a spinoff series.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I appreciate more Bishop.  But I have to admit, when Robyn said "he's family," I thought the ex-hubby would walk in because he was also military intelligence.  At least, that's the backstory I've given the faceless ex. That might have been super overwhelming for Delilah though, so I guess that's a no. 

You're not the only one.  When Robyn said "he's family" and then Bishop walked in... not gonna lie, my first thought was "WHAAAAATTTT?!?!?!  Bishop is Delilah's FATHER?!?!?!?!"  For some reason I thought that this was the reveal that he is Robyn's ex-husband and Delilah's dad.  Then I thought more and decided it made no sense since clearly Delilah knows who her father is since she spends a lot of time with him and it's not Bishop.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

If they stunt cast do they ignore the Asian in Delilah, which is becoming more problematical every year? Last season I was initially naming rapper turned actors who served as Queen Latifah's love interest in previous movies

So never show up until he gets a spinoff series.

I didn't realise that the actress who plays Delilah is half-Filipino until you mentioned this and I went and looked it up.  I don't think it would be an issue if it is revealed that Delilah's father is not Asian.  It seems likely to be the case that her father is either black or white since her last name is Fulton, which is decidedly not Asian, unless the father himself would also be part-Asian or adopted.

I think with mixed race actors, the characters don't always have to be the exact same ethnicity/mix as the actors.  Christel Khalil on "The Young and the Restless" is half-Pakistani and half-black and she portrays a woman who is 100% black.  She definitely looks like she is half-Pakistani, and yet nothing has ever been mentioned on the show, her character is a black woman.  I believe Khalil identifies herself as mixed race, and the rumour is that she has refused to be paired with a black man on the show, every love interest she has ever had on the show has been white. 

Just checking in to say Mel is badass. Liking the growth of the characters and their arcs...she was hellaciously mad at Bishop (with reason) earlier in the season, but he is "family." The DA is a good politician, and has realized that it's good to have Robyn on her side. The episode where her old colleague's daughter got in touch seems to have gotten Robyn thinking about having some kind emergency/backup herself.

They can keep exploring the blurry line between legal/illegal, justice/oppression through the different prisms of the various characters for awhile. 

I keep comparing this show to "Person of Interest," and that's a compliment. And they are building out a very interesting world, here in good ol' NYC.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, paigow said:

Are all the other kids that saw Jason get shot also suffering from PTSD?  I know they were not close friends, but seems like they would need Bishop...

Now I'm imagining Bishop surrounded by teens, having a group session about their trauma.

But seriously-- the other witnesses probably do have PTSD. We just don't see it because their own parents are taking them to therapy instead of Robyn handling it. Also, Delilah was the one who was holding his dying body and also has a mom who lives dangerously. She probably does have a somewhat heavier trauma load to carry.

• Love 2

I am really excited to see Bishop interact with Vi and Delilah, he is normally only with Robyn so it will be really interesting to see him with Robyn's civilian family. Plus it means more for Bishop/Chris Noth to do besides show up to drop exposition or as backup. In general I think they are handling the family plots really well this season, I really liked the whole bit where Robyn choose to stay with Delilah, but Delilah insisted that she go. Delilah in general has been so much more likable this season, now that she knows what her mom is really up to they seem to be able to bond more openly and she knows that her mom is doing important things when she isn't around. 

Really nice getting more backstory on Mel and focusing on her and her abilities. Her showdown with the sniper was really well done, when they fought each other it felt pretty real, both when they were arguing and when they fought. 

Really interesting that the DA was down to work with Robyn on a more permanent basis, although that isn't really Robyn's scene these days. Robyn at least can operate now without the NYPD breathing down her neck.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

Um, did we just gloss over the fact that Delilah LIED TO HER MOTHER YET AGAIN !!!!!!   She was outside Tiffany's house, in a pubic park.  The kid is straight-up pathological!  

Ok, the PTSD would probably have been triggered at some point, but probably not when Robyn was trying to help hunt down a murdering psychopath!

First episode where nobody's clothes stood out to me, but I was very happy to see Mr. Big Bishop.  Twice.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

Um, did we just gloss over the fact that Delilah LIED TO HER MOTHER YET AGAIN !!!!!!   She was outside Tiffany's house, in a pubic park.  The kid is straight-up pathological!  

She is  just a teenager

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Raja said:

She is  just a teenager

...and the episode her PTSD triggered gave her a LOT to think about. Delilah is going to have to do some growing up fast, both because of having her PTSD and because she knows something (though not much) about her mother's other life.

I really hope she doesn't get kidnapped. Blue Bloods has done THAT one...

NB: The DA actually seems to be the Manhattan District Attorney. One thing NYC police shows tend to gloss over is that there is a DA in all five boroughs, each with its own office and head. Robyn seems to live in Brooklyn, and a lot of the perps they've gone after have been in Queens (because it's easiest to shoot tv shows there!)

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Everyone on these type of shows gets kidnapped/held hostage eventually. I say they add a twist, maybe Robyn gives Dee some tips to stay safe/escape.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

...and the episode her PTSD triggered gave her a LOT to think about. Delilah is going to have to do some growing up fast, both because of having her PTSD and because she knows something (though not much) about her mother's other life.

NB: The DA actually seems to be the Manhattan District Attorney. One thing NYC police shows tend to gloss over is that there is a DA in all five boroughs, each with its own office and head. Robyn seems to live in Brooklyn, and a lot of the perps they've gone after have been in Queens (because it's easiest to shoot tv shows there!)

I guess something in this episode screamed Manhattan to you. Not knowing New York personally I thought that Detective Dante and the D.A. were elsewhere from the earlier episodes

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Raja said:

She is  just a teenager

Yeah, I've raised 2 of them.  And when the lying is constant, there's a HUGE problem.

I just don't get why they keep doing this.  She could have been in her friend's house, sitting at an open window & heard a car backfire, triggering the gunshot memories. 

Then she wouldn't have been a big, fat liar.  Again.

Yes, constantly lying children is MY trigger.  

• Love 1