Type keyword(s) to search

Sue & Mel: Pilfering Presenters

• Start Topic

Sue's old show Supersizers Go, where she and her cohost go back "in time" to live for a week in different eras is back on Hulu. It's hilarious and very food centric.

I love that series with Sue and Giles Coren. It's a riot. Having said that, the fact checking was not the best BBC ever did, but it was more comedy food show than historical documentary. Either way, very fun if you can find it.

• Love 1

I guess it's just me, but I can't stand the brunette, whichever one she is.  (I've watched 2 seasons of this show faithfully so far and somehow have never heard or seen their names before coming to this forum today.)  The blonde is ok, but the brunette is absolutely unbearable.  She's like a female version of Larry the Cable Guy.

Otherwise, this show is perfect!

• Love 3
On April 12, 2016 at 10:03 AM, FineWashables said:

I guess it's just me, but I can't stand the brunette, whichever one she is.  (I've watched 2 seasons of this show faithfully so far and somehow have never heard or seen their names before coming to this forum today.)  The blonde is ok, but the brunette is absolutely unbearable.  She's like a female version of Larry the Cable Guy.

Otherwise, this show is perfect!

I have to mute it when she says "Bake!" in that high squeaky voice, but other than that I think she's funny. 

Both hosts could use a fashion intervention. 

• Love 1

Neither Sue's nor Mel's wardrobes bother me, in fact I don't even notice what they are wearing. I am so enamoured with the tent, the pretty kitchenalia around them, the sheep outside. But I don't care for Sue. It has become a game in my house to estimate if I can hit the mute button at the exact moment she is going to scream BAKE! And happily, I now have it down to a science. Then I unmute and enjoy the rest of the show as if it had never even happened, well, until I have to do it again. I was rather miffed that she ruined one of the baker's domes on the biscuit competition. For me, she tries too hard to be amusing.

• Love 3

Sue would annoy me on occasion as well. She seemed like a caricature rather than a person. Then I watched the first two seasons (season one is from 2010) and completely changed my mind. She consistently showed great kindness to the contestants and exuded a warmth that I hadn't seen in the current seasons being aired.  If you haven't watched those seasons, they're wonderful.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Tahitigirl said:

Sue would annoy me on occasion as well. She seemed like a caricature rather than a person. Then I watched the first two seasons (season one is from 2010) and completely changed my mind. She consistently showed great kindness to the contestants and exuded a warmth that I hadn't seen in the current seasons being aired.  If you haven't watched those seasons, they're wonderful.

Same. I initially didn't care for either of them, but what you wrote is spot on. 

• Love 1

Please do not post about how you see the show unofficially. Google if you're interested, but the boards do not allow tips on "How to Fly to England" as it were. Thanks.

Mel seems like a reasonably slim woman; why does she wear those horrendous, puffy Mom Jeans?  

And while I'm  on the subject...for some reason  I find it utterly baffling that the presenters and judges--even dear, elderly Mary--wear blue jeans every. single. episode. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Portia said:

And while I'm  on the subject...for some reason  I find it utterly baffling that the presenters and judges--even dear, elderly Mary--wear blue jeans every. single. episode. 

In her autobiography, Mary wrote she wore jeans because Mel, Sue, & Paul wore them and she didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb.  Since they wear the same outfits for both days of the weekend, I can see blue jeans being the easiest and neatest option since changing to another pair of jeans for the second day isn't an obvious wardrobe change to the viewer.  I expect most people don't have two identical skirts, dress pants, or dresses.  The female bakers wouldn't want to bend and stoop in a skirt or dress.  And it can get pretty messy in the tent.  It would be a pain to try to get clothes cleaned at the end of the first day for the next day's competition and filming.

• Love 5
On 8/7/2016 at 1:57 PM, Tahitigirl said:

Wow! Being in withdrawal from the season's end, I am starting with the beginning. I just watched S1E1, and while I already liked Sue and Mel, they were indeed different. The show is different! Much more history, much lower-key & more natural hosting, more homemade-looking output. 

I want to curl up in the land of GBBO tents and bakes. It's so lovely there! Beats the real world for sure.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 5

And here I was worried that Mary (and Paul I guess) were the ones that wouldn't make the move.  I was hoping from the one bit I saw of Sue that it was an all four or nothing type strategy when they first said they wouldn't make the move.  More my own hopes I guess.  As someone who came into watching religiously two seasons in, I did grow to appreciate them going back to pick up seasons one and two in binge viewing. 

Oddly what really made me find them intrinsic to the show in a complete and utter way for my enjoyment was seeing the rebooted Australian version.  They brought in a pair that seemed overly deliberate Mel and Sue clones.   And yet as their season went on, they both brought the same level of sincerity to the show and the baking shed.  And the show did them and me as a viewer a huge favor in letting them just be themselves as the season went on.  The dancing scene is still one of my all time favorite Bake Off moments of any of the franchises right up alongside the baking of the icing last season.  And the Australian pair hammered home just how needed a good pair of hosts on such a show are.  And how great Mel and sue are at it as well and have been all along.  I still am left flabbergasted and even a little outrage when either of them blunder or don't watch what they are doing.  But I also notice how well these women insert themselves in ways that cause a ripple effect and keep the show interesting but also enjoyable.  Yes they can be funny.  But Mel is so fast at taking the pulse of building pressure and easing it a bit right off the start.  And Sue is able to hone in in an instant who is having trouble and looks to snap.  Both do the other as well.  But they seem to have a particular strength in each regard that keeps the overall experience happier for the contestants and therefore happier for me as a viewer.

Also as one of the few? people that find Paul the weakest link and a pompous strutting tool even at times, trying to hire anyone to keep him tweaked teased and slightly tortured (as opposed to the person in hair and makeup that do the same for his Ross Geller to the nth degree head) in the manner I need would be hugely tricky. 

This is not good.  Not good at all.  Hopefully someone at BBC will realize we need these two on the air as a pair and find a good vehicle to put them in immediately. 

• Love 9

I'm curious to see how this all pans out. Is the show still worth 25M if the hosts leave? To have negotiated such a large sum for the GBBO "property" without having key people locked in seems like someone didn't do their homework. Things sure work differently across the pond.

I think Mel & Sue are great. It won't be the same without them.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, snarktini said:

I'm curious to see how this all pans out. Is the show still worth 25M if the hosts leave? To have negotiated such a large sum for the GBBO "property" without having key people locked in seems like someone didn't do their homework. Things sure work differently across the pond.

I was wondering about that too, at least half the value of the show is the hosts/judges, did channel 4 really pay that much for the show knowing that it didn't include Mel & Sue? I wonder if Paul & Mary are actually locked in contractually, & don't have a choice about moving. It seems really stupid to pay all that money for a show that isn't going to come with the talent.

Have there ever been two more underwhelming, self-indulging, uncharismatic and ignorant presentors on television? Hold your breath, I'll answer it for you.........NO.

These are proclaimed to be 'genius' and 'funny' yet have they ever actually told a joke that couldn't have been written by a 5 year old? Don't worry, you can hold your breath on this one again as the answer is a sure fire NO.

All these two ever do is say words in racist foreign accents and use 'funny' (I use that term incredibly loosely) voices, literally every time they tell the contestants their tasks they fail to come up with anything witty to say and in turn just use strange voices.

They are awful food critics and offer no help to the people on the show.

They bring absolutely nothing to the table, other than to infuriate me and many other viewers.

GOOD RIDDANCE to the untalented duo.

Bring in Ant & Dec.

• Love 2

Really?  I find they keep the mood light (it's just baking) and the contestants' stress level down.  The jokes aren't much, of course, but that's clearly purposeful, and they set a tone that this is all just in fun, as much as it can also be quite competitive; the put-on accents that I can recall were pretty much Northern European and didn't carry an edge to me really, though I probably wouldn't do it, but maybe there's an undercurrent in GB that I'm missing out on.  Arabic or Pakistani accents or whatnot would be more bothersome.  It'll definitely be different without them, but if it also works, that's ok - but I'm skeptical of the motives of the production company.  Successful chemistry can be hard to reproduce.  

The one I couldn't stand was the Irish critic who only seemed interested in whether the contestants could make their items so identical that they might as well have come out of a factory.  I mean, yes, it's important, especially in a commercial setting, that nobody feel deprived because their biscuit was smaller or less fancy or whatnot, but he takes it to too much of an extreme for me, and prioritizes it over taste to a degree that I suspect I would often disagree about who'd done the best work.  Mary & Paul seem to me to have a better balance about that.  I've heard others say they like that about him, though, so obviously MMV. 

Edited by akr
minor nitpicks
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, snarktini said:

To have negotiated such a large sum for the GBBO "property" without having key people locked in seems like someone didn't do their homework.

How can you lock in the talent if you don't have the show locked in? It's one thing if the talent has a contract for x years and the switch happens within that, but if the switch is outside of a contract, I'd want to know what I was getting into before I signed anything.

akr you are right about Paul and Mary, I have no issue with them, as you said they seem to get the balance right and know their roles, they don't go over the top but they are also subtle enough to enjoy.

You mention Arabic and Pakistani accents would be more bothersome and though this may be true, it does not feel right nor fair to those of Eastern European heritage, why are we allowed to mock them and not those of other cultures? I suspect it's becase the other cultures you mentioned would be up in arms along with our press if they were to, whereas Sue and Mel get a free pass to take the p*ss out of Polish/Romanian etc accents, completely hypocritical and unjust in my eyes.

Successful chemistry can indeed be hard to produce, so it should be no coincidence that Sue and Mel, who have the maturity and comedic-level of a 5 year old are seen as a good pairing. You mention they bring a level of calmness to the contestants, that's not exactly hard to do, the whole setting and atmosphere of the show is one of a calming nature, I mean do you expect the future hosts to be like Simon Cowell? Obviously not.

I'll miss them. I've always liked them but the story about them making footage of crying bakers unusable by standing next to them reciting brand names really made me love them. It won't be the same without them. Add me to those surprised Channel4 bought the show without making sure the 4 hosts were locked into their contracts. They're an essential part of what makes the show work.

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 17
38 minutes ago, ArtJimmerson said:

You mention Arabic and Pakistani accents would be more bothersome and though this may be true, it does not feel right nor fair to those of Eastern European heritage, why are we allowed to mock them and not those of other cultures? I suspect it's becase the other cultures you mentioned would be up in arms along with our press if they were to, whereas Sue and Mel get a free pass to take the p*ss out of Polish/Romanian etc accents, completely hypocritical and unjust in my eyes.

Well, the ones I remembered were more French & German, and if they drifted further east it seemed more to emphasize the fact that the Eastern European culture had something great going on that the contestants might not be familiar with, without being disparaging, whereas the other is re cultures against which there is definitely more prejudice in some quarters.  But I did wonder if the Central/Eastern Europe stuff might have some issues in Britain that I don't think it would have here in the US.  To me it's all a little like folks from Minnesota making North Dakota jokes, and vice versa.

• Love 2

So you're a Vikings fan? I knew there was a reason you're overly optimistic.

16 minutes ago, dippydee said:

I'll miss them. I've always liked them but the story about them making footage of crying bakers unusable by standing next to them reciting brand names really made me love them. It won't be the same without them. Add me to those surprised Channel4 bought the show without making sure the 4 hosts were locked into their contracts. They're an essential part of what makes the show work.

I think that's ridiculous personally, if the bakers can't handle the pressure and fall apart into tears then they shouldn't be on the show. What are they going to do if they open up a bakery further down the line and have a rush of orders? Start crying because they can't meet the customers demand? Pathetic.

Honestly, when the Channel 4 version starts with MUCH better presenters than these two, you'll see that that are not at all an essential part of what makes the show work, you'll see what a hindrance they've been.

5 minutes ago, ArtJimmerson said:

So you're a Vikings fan? I knew there was a reason you're overly optimistic.

No, it's the 49ers I pay no attention to. But the aunt I'm named after lived in Minnesota for many years, so that's how I know about Minnesota/North Dakota jokes. 

7 minutes ago, ArtJimmerson said:

Honestly, when the Channel 4 version starts with MUCH better presenters than these two, you'll see that that are not at all an essential part of what makes the show work, you'll see what a hindrance they've been.

We'll see. I hope you're right, but I think it just makes the show more pleasant to watch.  I'm not really interested in seeing who breaks down under pressure - or, at least, if they do, I have no problem with them lightening the mood around it. Usually they're commiserating with someone who has good reason to believe they're about to be dispatched, and getting them to at least feel good about what they were able to do . . . which is something I need to be reminded of myself at times. 

• Love 3

For sure, but this is a tv contest show, not a nursery for handicapped people who need a boost in life. If their morale or confidence isn't in check then they have no place being on the show.

Out of curiosity is this a primarily American forum? Only signed up today and when I saw there was a Bake Off thread I assumed it was English, being a Londoner myself. Sunny weather here for a change, by the way.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ArtJimmerson said:

Out of curiosity is this a primarily American forum? Only signed up today and when I saw there was a Bake Off thread I assumed it was English, being a Londoner myself. Sunny weather here for a change, by the way.

I think so, but it's a mix when it comes to British or Australian Masterchef & Bake Off. But if you look at the main page, it's mostly US shows, with an occasional welcome tipoff to a great foreign series - but they usually wait until they come to the US.  You'll notice that the GBBO forum for the current season is marked so that people who are watching whatever season is currently airing on PBS, but don't want to be spoiled about newer seasons, can avoid them if they choose.  Once it shows in the US, the forum opens up.  Are there some good English ones as well that we should listen in on? ;)

Congrats on the weather!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ArtJimmerson said:

We share :-) there's a The Great British Baking Show On PBS thread that's all about the show in the US, & the specific episodes threads are for both the UK & the US, they just have the UNAIRED USA tag until they air in the US.

• Love 1

Ant and Dec?  Good lord.  They are like two fingers a stranger tries to shove up your ass on the train during the busiest of commutes.  Two too many.  If I wanted a couple  with no brains, charm or discernible talent, I'd suggest Love Productions hire the next two turds Rupert Murdoch manages to squeeze out.  At least I know they will be dry, terse and kept to a minimum.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ArtJimmerson said:

I think that's ridiculous personally, if the bakers can't handle the pressure and fall apart into tears then they shouldn't be on the show. What are they going to do if they open up a bakery further down the line and have a rush of orders? Start crying because they can't meet the customers demand? Pathetic.

I'm in the US, so have only seen those episodes that have aired here, but I've never gotten the impression most (if any) of the contestants on this show aim to be much more than home bakers as they are, and are on the show mainly to show they're great at it. So I don't think the comparison of a busy bakery is fair, if it's not been suggested any of them have intention of doing that. Were it an American show, I imagine we'd be treated to constant sob stories of "it's always been my dream to own my own blah blah blah" but since these folks seem to mostly be in it for bragging rights, I think it's fair they might be super-stressed under the constraints. TV's a tiring gig, and overtired people get more emotional more easily than well-rested people.

And for me, that Mel and Sue would comfort anyone super-stressed, and go out of their way to make sure it does hit the cutting room floor, shows a level of professionalism I appreciate. Ignoring for the moment judgement of any contestant in need of consoling, it tells me Mel and Sue valued the aspect of the show wherein the competition itself remains the focus. Let the drama come from the bakes as much as possible, and not the common interpersonal emotional upheaval not just frequently found on American competition shows, but encouraged to the extent of being faked and/or prompted by production staff in the first place. (See MasterChef US as example) I say American here not to imply it doesn't happen on "reality TV" elsewhere, but rather than I'm unfamiliar with what does or doesn't happen elsewhere. Anyway, I am bored of the type of show that relies on that, and appreciate this one for not doing so. Hence if a major reason this one doesn't, is because it couldn't, because Mel and Sue oft prevented it, then they've got an enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 23
4 hours ago, snarktini said:

Things do work differently in the UK, to the extent that the sentence about "not doing their homework" does not apply. 

There's no such thing as "locked in" there. That's why the successive years of a program in the UK are each called a "series" rather than a season. (It applies to scripted shows too.) A season (sorry, I mean a "series") is shot, then it's over, contracts are finished (and remember, a sitcom or drama series will usually be 6 to 8 episodes). Then if it's decided to make another "series," all the talent is searched out and new contracts negotiated and signed. Repeat ad lib, year after year.

That's why extended time (more than a year) may go by between successive series of a UK program: someone delayed signing, or had a play or movie that conflicted, and scheduling had to be worked out. It's why an actor may not return for a later season, and then might return again a year or two. It's a whole different system.

• Love 4

The first few times I saw GBBO, my thoughts on Mel & Sue were "They need 2 people for this job??" The hosts didn't need a high profile and the jokes elicit more of an amused grin than anything resembling a laugh.

However, I do think they fit the tone of the show very well. They were calming and kept the show moving, holding interest without being distracting. GBBO can continue just fine with new hosts, and perhaps I'll like them even better. But I can certainly understand the appeal of this pair.

And hey, now I can finally relate to all the drama over Top Gear that I didn't really follow!

Edited by Amarsir
18 hours ago, dippydee said:

I've always liked them but the story about them making footage of crying bakers unusable by standing next to them reciting brand names really made me love them. It won't be the same without them.

This makes me concerned about what the tone of the show will be like now. Will 4 keep that sensibility? For me, that is exactly what sets this show apart from all other competition shows. That they do not rely on manufactured drama, or any drama other than baking drama. I don't want to see these lovely contestants breaking down. I want to see them triumphant. I respect the hell out of Mel and Sue for being so protective of these people. I think it will be hard to find someone to replace them for that reason, not the corny jokes or silly accents or extended BAAAAAKE (which I could not stand in the beginning, but has grown on me). It is because Mel and Sue seem to have a genuine affection and fierce protectiveness of the bakers. I am worried that without them things might turn more drama-centric.

• Love 14

Guys and Girls I've had a really long day at work, had to drown my sorrows at the pub with Gary and Phil so I'm not in the state nor the mood to write many long, thought out replies right now.

But on reflection of last nights replies to yours truly, I understand that the show offers a unique change to the way most 'reality' (if you can call it that) contest shows are run compared to those in America, so I can see your points that it offers something different and more calming. Mel and Sue do add to this, but my point is that anyone could. I could, you could, these two get paid a fortune to do a job any of us could do and probably do better.

Don't worry about Channel 4, they offer the best documentaries about real-life situations that you could ask for, they constantly churn out quality real programmes so there's no need to fear they will over-sensationalize things. They'll keep it real and down to earth, just with a refreshing, modern twist.

I still believe they could do a lot worse than bring in Cris Collinsworth and Al Michaels though; as left field as these two would be, they'd fit right in and keep it entertaining.

the show offers a unique change to the way most 'reality' (if you can call it that) contest shows are run compared to those in America, 

Art, precisely what we fear. Check out US Kitchen Nightmares and compare/contrast to UK KN. The few, the proud who watch GBBO don't WANT American style reality faux drama and product placement.  

I don't really need to see any "modern" twists either. If I want modern, I've got the US. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, ArtJimmerson said:

I have watched US Kitchen Nightmares, top quality viewing that show.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, Channel 4 will be absolutely fine, in fact better. They are a top professional broadcaster, they SPECIALIZE in REAL television.

Oh gosh, I think you like your "reality" shows a little different then a number of other posters here LOL. I consider the US Kitchen Nightmares show to be unwatchable, I hate the yelling, I hate the drama, if this is the type of shows that Channel 4 specializes in, then I'm probably going to hate GBBO too.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, GaT said:

Oh gosh, I think you like your "reality" shows a little different then a number of other posters here LOL. I consider the US Kitchen Nightmares show to be unwatchable, I hate the yelling, I hate the drama, if this is the type of shows that Channel 4 specializes in, then I'm probably going to hate GBBO too.

Why or why are we comparing US Kitchen Nightmares to Bake Off? US KN isn't even shown on Channel 4, it's not their sort of show. Channel 4 make their own shows with their own feel, they don't believe in just buying reality things to make a bit of profit, as I said before, they SPECIALIZE in making REAL shows, they are best known for their top-quality documentaries that get to the root and heart of problems. They are experts at keeping a show down to earth and not over-exadurating things.

I know you lot are all worried, and if ITV or any other channel had bought the rights to Bake Off then you'd have a right to be, but honestly, Channel 4 is the only place other than the BBC that could do this show justice.

Seeing as none of you have commented on, or agreed with my statement of getting Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth to replace Mel and Sue, how about we get Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson?

Or, how about these two - Howard Stern and Melania Trump?

Hopefully Melania will be job hunting in November so she's possible. :)

We're not comparing US KN to GBBO. I hope you're right and Channel 4 doesn't tinker too much with the pleasantness that is GBBO. But we've seen US Food Network turn into pseudo celebrity faux drama competition hell, and we're fearful that GBBO might take the same path because some suit wants to jack up his profit synergizing metrics enhancement revenue-driven crapola. 

On 16/9/2016 at 4:09 PM, ArtJimmerson said:

Why or why are we comparing US Kitchen Nightmares to Bake Off? US KN isn't even shown on Channel 4, it's not their sort of show. Channel 4 make their own shows with their own feel, they don't believe in just buying reality things to make a bit of profit, as I said before, they SPECIALIZE in making REAL shows, they are best known for their top-quality documentaries that get to the root and heart of problems. They are experts at keeping a show down to earth and not over-exadurating things.

I know you lot are all worried, and if ITV or any other channel had bought the rights to Bake Off then you'd have a right to be, but honestly, Channel 4 is the only place other than the BBC that could do this show justice.

Seeing as none of you have commented on, or agreed with my statement of getting Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth to replace Mel and Sue, how about we get Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson?

Or, how about these two - Howard Stern and Melania Trump?

Why would you suggest two American sports presenters (who I and probably most BBC viewers had to google to find out who they were) for a British baking show?  And your comments about 'much better presenters' than Mel and Sue, I can only ask, do you actually watch this show at all or are you just trolling?

• Love 8

Miranda Hart is adored by middle-aged women over here in England so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she got the job, I can't stand her personally, find her humour rather childish and too slap-stick for my liking, the sort of shows she has been involved in should have died out in the 90's, that fake tv-laughter in the background just goes to show how unoriginal and unfunny she really is.

Big Brother is now on Channel 5, it was created by Channel 4 though and at that time it was REAL television.

I do sadly watch British Bake Off, usually through gritted teeth and from behind the back of the sofa, quite cringe-worthy it is. The only good things about it these days are Mary Berry, Paul and the constant mistakes by contestants.

How about Joe Biden and Katie Couric then?

On 9/14/2016 at 3:58 PM, ArtJimmerson said:

Bring in Ant & Dec.

Ant and Dec aren't going to be offered this. They're more expensive than Mel & Sue and the main reason Mel & Sue didn't stay was definitely that the necessary pounds weren't tossed at them. Plus, Ant and Dec are awful, but that's another thing entirely.

If budget WERE no object, but Mel and Sue were still out, and they had to stick with a doubleact... I'd toss money at Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders.  But that won't happen either.  Again, even more expensive than Mel & Sue.

I think they wind up going with a single presenter, so they can spend a bit more. Perhaps one of the Carr boys (Alan or Jimmy, no relation to each other), since they both already work for Channel 4. And Miranda Hart is actually FAR from the worst suggestion. She's at least somewhat witty and not shrill.

They are already rumors like Jo Brand (ugh), Davina McCall (boring), and worst of all, Rylan Clark, but those are all horrible ideas. And frankly there are hundreds of other really horrible presenters the US crowd rarely to never sees that I'm sure are on a CH4 Executives' list right about now as well.  

Edited by Kromm