Type keyword(s) to search

"If I Hear That Song One More Time..."

GaT
  • Start Topic

I just posted this in pet peeves, but Mariah's All I Want for Christmas is really overplayed. I do love the song very much, but I heard it many times BEFORE Thanksgiving. There are so many beautiful Christmas songs out there. Let's play more of them and less of the same song over and over. 

• Like 1

Just a small list of songs I never want to hear again....

Smokin Out The Window  - Silk Sonic

Better Days – Mae Muller

Cold Heart – Elton John, Dua Lipa

Woman – Doja Cat

ABCDEFU – Gayle

Stay - The Kid LAROI, Justin Bieber

Industry Baby - Lil Nas X, Jack Harlow

Shivers – Ed Sheeran

Any song sung by Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett

Any song by Adele

Second the "Cold Cold Heart" exhaustion. I swear every single shop and restaurant has it on their PA. I'd rather hear the Elton originals (well, "Rocket Man" and "Kiss the Bride" anyway -- I can do without "Sacrifice".)

13 hours ago, dewelar said:

Second the "Cold Cold Heart" exhaustion. I swear every single shop and restaurant has it on their PA. I'd rather hear the Elton originals (well, "Rocket Man" and "Kiss the Bride" anyway -- I can do without "Sacrifice".)

As I'm reading your comment, the video is finishing on my TV. Enough.

I listen to a golden oldies station most of the time and they go on jags of playing the same songs over and over and over.  Right now if I never hear:

Lyin' Eyes - The Eagles

Tonight's the Night - Rod Stewart

Jane - Barenaked Ladies

again I will be a very happy woman.  Especially have come to loathe the Rod Stewart one.  

Edited to add: radio just played a song they definitely overplay and that I hate "Take the Money and Run" by the Steve Miller Band.  I want them to catch Billy Joe and Bobby Sue and throw them in jail.  I am clearly overthinking this song.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne

Hallelujah. I used to like it, but now I can’t stand the sound of it because it’s been covered and had different lyrics adapted to it 5000 times over. I deleted it off my Spotify; I just hate it now.

I’m in my church choir and we have a special Mass this Sunday for our priest’s Jubilee celebration (25 years in the priesthood) and we are doing an “Easter Hallelujah” to the tune of the original. It’s so depressing and just drags on and on and on. I get through it by deciding it must be a favorite of the honored priest, who is very well liked at our church. Because honestly when it was played on the organ tonight, I felt like the music at my grandmother’s funeral was played with more spirit and enthusiasm. (She paid for and planned her funeral ahead of time, which included her picking the music. My grandmother was a smart lady.)

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Hallelujah. I used to like it, but now I can’t stand the sound of it because it’s been covered and had different lyrics adapted to it 5000 times over. I deleted it off my Spotify; I just hate it now.

I still like Jeff Buckley's cover, but only after I quit hearing it on what seemed like every other TV show for years.  Now that there has been a nice long absence, if I come across it I can appreciate it.  I do find it the best version.

I like Brandi Carlile and k.d. lang's versions, too, and Leonard Cohen's original, but, again, I hear them quite sporadically.  It would be different if the song kept popping up, as it did for a time.  (Even Cohen said there needed to be a moratorium on people singing it.)

While Cohen drew on biblical stories in several of his songs, as I understand it he never intended that one - despite its title - to be about religious faith (he was culturally/ethnically Jewish, and had also studied Catholicism and even spent time practicing Buddhism, but was spiritual rather than religious -- he believed in mysterious, unidentifiable power and was for that being anything that worked to help people escape, think, and get by, be it religion, wine, drugs, whatever), so it's probably over-used in a particular way in religious settings.

Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" is the only version I will listen to.

As with many other areas of the country, one of my local radio stations flips to all Christmas around mid November. And one of the musical artists played - and I am not a fan - is Pentatonix. Okay, they have Christmas albums. Great.

Yet one of the songs played throughout that period is their version of "Hallelujah". I don't like it, it's not a Christmas song, and I have no idea why the radio station keeps beating that dead horse into dust.

Thankfully, I rarely hear Buckley's (superior) version, so I have not soured on it yet.

• Like 2