Type keyword(s) to search

"If I Hear That Song One More Time..."

GaT
  • Start Topic

Ugh, I watch a lot of Fuse TV & they're doing the same thing to this song that they did to "All About the Bass". They show an interview with the artist that has about 1/2 of the song in it, immediately followed by the entire video. It's like hearing the song 2 times in a row. It made me sick of hearing "All About the Bass" & now I'm sick of this song. 

I've got a few:

Shake it Off - was playing at the same time on 3 different stations while I was driving yesterday.  I HATE this drivel.

Maps - The high pitched 'following, following, following' makes me want to scream.

Anaconda - My 14 year old likes to sing this loudly just to bother me for the few seconds it's on before I change the station.

All About the Bass - I truly thought this was another Rebecca Black type song when I first heard it.

• Love 1

I hate Anaconda.

When Blurred Lines came on a hundred times a day I wanted to punch my car radio in. A completely sexist song coming on once is once too many, thank you.

Here's another one: Pompeii by Bastille. I do not like all that "ah-ah-oh-oh-oh" they do in the intro.

Party Girls by Ludacris ft. Jeramih, Wiz Khalifah, and Cashmere Cat. Some songs just shouldn't be sampled.  Aqua's Barbie Girl is one of those songs.  I actually use to like Barbie Girl.

My Boo by the Ghost Town DJs.  I hated that song since I was a kid.  It was sappy then, and it's sappy now.  I don't even like calling someone "boo" as a term of endearment.

Okay, so I'm usually good at avoiding pop ear worms. Though, even my powers of elusiveness can't escape things like "Fancy" and "Problem."  I have managed to successfully avoid Taylor so far, thus buying myself a little time, anyway.

Man, that "Anaconda" video really is that bad, huh? Speaking of videos, I rather unwillingly enjoy "All about that Bass," so I gave the video a look. And uhhh, it seems to be saying things about sexuality, race, childhood, bicycles...but I really have no idea what. Also, all those pastels. :/

Edited by Beezel

Everytime I freakin' turn on the radio, I hear Animals by Maroon 5.  It is not a pleasant experience.  Since I am a chronic station changer, it is also guaranteed that I will hear Take Me to Church by Hozier.  I kinda liked it the first couple of times I heard it, but since I can't avoid it now I am starting to loathe it.

• Love 2

Since we are on the topic of Christmas songs, I cannot stand Santa Baby or I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. Both are very grating to me.

I think it depends on the version.  I hate Madonna's version of "Santa Baby" - Eartha Kitt's version   from 1953 is the original and the best as far as I know.  Try it .

I love "I Saw Mommy..." by a variety of artists, but I'm weary of The Ronettes' version which seems to get the most airplay on our 24/7 Christmas stations.  In fact, I don't like any Christmas song sung by them!  Their version of "Frosty The Snowman" grates - especially when Ronnie Spector's accent takes over (FRAW-stee, duh snoo-MAN).

• Love 1

Fall Out Boy "Centuries", ESPN has been playing it all college football season long, but I've just learned the name of it. As soon as the national championship game is played, all copies of the song should be fired into the sun.

• Love 1
Since I am a chronic station changer, it is also guaranteed that I will hear Take Me to Church by Hozier.  I kinda liked it the first couple of times I heard it, but since I can't avoid it now I am starting to loathe it.

Same here. I still kind of enjoy it because 1) the guy sings in a big-boy voice that doesn't sound like he wants to fuck me, 2) it's an actual song and not just a chorus, 3) there isn't any fucking chanting, and 4) it's kind of fun to sing TAKE ME TO CHURCH really loud in your car. That being said, it's kind of overplayed.

Speaking of overplayed, "Don't" by Ed Sheeran. Good God would you guys let thing song fucking go on to glory. I remember I first heard it half-asleep on VH1 and I was like, hey this is pretty good coming from the "The A-Team" guy. But I don't need to hear it every five minutes. And, I'm sorry but Ed? You only get one. You only get one of these Jason Mraz white-boy hip-hop cadenced songs where you try to be a hipster and distract from the fact that you're just a big ol softie singer-songwriter.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 1

Same here. I still kind of enjoy it because 1) the guy sings in a big-boy voice that doesn't sound like he wants to fuck me, 2) it's an actual song and not just a chorus, 3) there isn't any fucking chanting, and 4) it's kind of fun to sing TAKE ME TO CHURCH really loud in your car. That being said, it's kind of overplayed.

Heh. His big-boy voice is hot. I just enjoy that everyone around me seems to think that song is actually about church. 

If that horrid stupidity that Gwen Stefani is passing for music sneaks up on me one more time in that car commercial from hell --the "OMG, OMG, I'M BACK AGAIN!" nonsense-- I will STAB A BITCH!  I loathe that woman right now.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 4

Going a little back in the day, MMMbop by Hanson.  SNL did a skit where Will Ferrell & Helen Hunt trapped the Hansons in an elevator and played the song continuously until they felt the same pain as the rest of the world.  As for today's ear bleeders, a toosup between All of Me and Best Day of My Life.

• Love 1

I never got the hate that MMMBop got. I wasn't thumping it hard back in the day (I had their first album...I know...that thing was like a fireball of gay, but they had this really dramatic "socially conscious" song, I think called "Yearbook" that was much better..."WHERE DID JOHNNY GO?!") but it was nice little ditty. Sort of belied their years a bit in terms of the message of the song. I remember being the grocery store awhile back and it started playing and people were walking around with smiles on their face.

So DJ Earworm recently released the 2014 Hits song, and I have to say, almost all the songs in it are ones that I don't care to hear again.

2014 was a baaaad bad year for pop music, IMO.

I definitely think 2012 and 2013 were above it for sure.

I just can't hear "Rude" by Magic! or "Take Me to Church" by Hoziers.

• Love 1

I actually like quite a few of Taylor Swift's songs, but there are two in particular that I simply cannot stand: "22" and "Shake It Off". The former is probably just because I'm 26, and was already 23 when it came out (on the album Red; 24 when it came out as a single), so it was of little use to me (and it is THE earworm of earworms--gak), and the latter? Makes her sound like a catty bitch, and she comes off as trying WAY too hard not to care about what others say about her in the media. And that rap part--ugh, no. Weirdly enough, the instrumental is actually fine to me. I'd rather listen to that.

That said, the latter song HAS grown on me a little, if only to listen to in moments where I'm feeling pissed or spiteful (hey, we all do! :P), but that's not exactly a compliment. I think I still hate "22" more though, even though I think a few of the lyrics are well-written. I like that it's a song about friendship, but even if she does write too many songs about break-ups and heartbreak, I honestly think I prefer them more, even with the issues of calling out ex-boyfriends who are famous. Yes, I'm a hypocrite. :P

One song of hers about taking on critics that I DO like is "New Romantics" from the deluxe edition of 1989 (yes, I got the deluxe version from Target for my birthday--please don't judge me), which is better written and doesn't leave me wanting to stab someone. So naturally, it probably won't be a single (I honestly think a lot of her album tracks are MUCH better than her big singles, although "Blank Space" and especially "Style" are pretty damn awesome). 

Edited by UYI

I really dislike Taylor Swift personally, and the constant playing of her music on my radio makes me dislike her even more, but dammit, I like "Style".  I liked it before I knew who sang it.  :)

"Style" is far and away the best of her singles from 1989 so far. It's frustrating that it's gotten less attention than the first two (OTOH, it means the "Swiftmania" that took over the last half of last year has died down a bit too, which is nice, even though I actually have more songs of hers that I like than I hate). 

I've hated every song Taylor Swift has released up until "Blank Space." I enjoy that song and its video. I listened to 1989 and (to my great surprise) liked the entire album (minus "Shake it Off," although even that one's growing on me). I feel like Swift's lyrics are more mature now. I think my favorite songs are "Style," "Out of the Woods," "I Wish You Would," and "I Know Places."

I still hate all of her previous singles and don't plan to get her past albums. I think "Teardrops on My Guitar" was my least favorite, although "Love Story" comes close. I can't stand those sophomoric lyrics about wishing stars and princesses and Romeo and Juliet.

• Love 2

Uptown Funk.

Love me some Bruno Mars but holy shit stop playing this song please.

I know!!! I remember the first time I heard that song I almost wanted to pull my car over and start dancing in my seat.  Now I hear "Dum duh duh duh" and turn the station.  I also second Cranberry's post about Taylor Swift I enjoy 1989 but now she has three songs on heavy rotation on Top 40 stations.

• Love 1

Awww to the Uptown Funk hate....I don't listen to current music much, but when I heard this I was twerking my butt off, and I'm 50!  Love All About That Bass too, I thought it was cute and it is a good butt dance.

Songs that should be banished from the earth forevermore....

American Pie - I can listen to Madonna's version, otherwise I want to shank a bitch whenever this song comes on.

Margaritaville - See above 'shank a bitch' comment.

We Are Family

Got To Give It Up

I Just Called To Say I Love You - Every artist has a sell out song, this is sho 'nuff Stevie's.

I've hated every song Taylor Swift has released up until "Blank Space." I enjoy that song and its video. I listened to 1989 and (to my great surprise) liked the entire album (minus "Shake it Off," although even that one's growing on me). I feel like Swift's lyrics are more mature now. I think my favorite songs are "Style," "Out of the Woods," "I Wish You Would," and "I Know Places."

I still hate all of her previous singles and don't plan to get her past albums. I think "Teardrops on My Guitar" was my least favorite, although "Love Story" comes close. I can't stand those sophomoric lyrics about wishing stars and princesses and Romeo and Juliet.

I've never been a Taylor Swift fan, but found the songs from her latest release a bit more tolerable.  Until I got to the over-saturation point of it being on the radio every single time I get in the car.  However, last night I watched Lip Sync Battle and because of this I am really enjoying Shake It Off, mostly because I am picturing it being done by the Rock.

I watched a couple of eps of Lip Sync Battle last night and it was fun.  I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Edited by DeLurker

Awww to the Uptown Funk hate....I don't listen to current music much, but when I heard this I was twerking my butt off, and I'm 50!  Love All About That Bass too, I thought it was cute and it is a good butt dance.

Songs that should be banished from the earth forevermore....

American Pie - I can listen to Madonna's version, otherwise I want to shank a bitch whenever this song comes on.

Margaritaville - See above 'shank a bitch' comment.

We Are Family

Got To Give It Up

I Just Called To Say I Love You - Every artist has a sell out song, this is sho 'nuff Stevie's.

Don't like that one either. Can tolerate We are Family though.

Really don't like a lot of music on the radio now. A lot of it is overplayed in general. 

• Love 2

I have been following the Billboard Hot 100 a lot ever since I began watching this Internet reviewer who does video reviewers of modern pop songs. His name is Todd In The Shadows (http://channelawesome.com/category/videos/producers/todd/) and he tries to concentrate on the Top 10. There have been a few times in the last year or so, however, where the Top 10 has been relatively stagnant, with the songs not rotating in and out of the list as frequently as they often do. That, I think, might be part of the problem with today's pop songs being overplayed so much.

Speaking of which, I like Ed Sheeran enough, but I'm getting REALLY tired of "Thinking Out Loud". "Sing" and "Don't" are both the better singles off his latest album, IMO, and yet for some reason TOL is the biggest hit of the three. Go figure. 

Edited by UYI

Speaking of an older song, "(You're) Having My Baby" by Paul Anka makes me physically ill. From the same guy who wrote "My Way" and "Johnny's Theme" from Carson's Tonight Show...um, Paul, I'd call this a misstep. 

• Love 1

I am really enjoying Shake It Off, mostly because I am picturing it being done by the Rock.

(blushes)....Until I saw Lip Sync Battle, I had never heard the whole song.  Now when I hear it, I smile because of that fool Dwayne.  He really needs to do a sitcom, he's hilarious!

In doing errands yesterday, it seemed like Uptown Funk was on err' five minutes!  I love the song but isn't it old now?

Forgot another song that needs to be banished....Ain't No Stopping Us Now.  That was our senior song back in '82 and I hated it then as much as I do now.  This is another 'shank a bitch' track.

I hate the song "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba so much.  It is my official Stupidest Song Ever.  It makes me stabby everytime I hear it (which mercifully, is not much anymore).

Also, "Let It Go" may possibly make me break out into hives.  I heard it yesterday for the first time in forever and I swear I got all twitchy and itchy. 

I am so tired of Maroon 5's Animals and Sugar. 

All those songs do is make me want to hear other songs that covered the same ground much better than these do.

• Love 1

"I hate the song "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba so much.  It is my official Stupidest Song Ever.  It makes me stabby everytime I hear it (which mercifully, is not much anymore)"

Tubthumping was like a hemorrhoid during its heyday.  Pharrell Williams' Happy makes me unhappy whenever I hear it.  Jeez, it's used during an ad for acne medication.  Enough already!  Sweet Home Alabama was once an okay song but it's been used to death in promos.

• Love 1
Since we're going through archives, I could happily live the rest of my life without ever hearing This Is How We Do It by Montell Jordan again. I was sick of that song by 6th grade

I had to bust out laughing because I can't sit down whenever I hear that song.  I have to dance.  I don't hear it that often though so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.

• Love 1
(edited)

I see I'm not the only one to mention this, but Happy.  I hate that damn song, and it won't go away.  I was recently in Jo-Ann, getting really frustrated because they’d changed their inventory, dramatically reducing their apparel fabric section, and I couldn’t find anything I liked, when that song came on -- I was afraid for a moment that I was going to go postal in the store.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I'll make it a twofer.

Taylor Swift and that annoying grade school sounding, droning, and petty Bad Blood. I gave her the benefit of the doubt for awhile, but this song just is not for the radio. Or anywhere I might have to hear it.

Rihanna and Bitch Better Have My Money. She can't sing and she can't rap. It sounds like she is yelling "blop blop blop." No more please.

• Love 2

You know, I used to like Rihanna back during her "Umbrella" days.  Then later on I guess she decided to be hardcore.  I can't stand her now because she is just crass and lowdown. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm old.  I don't know almost any of the songs being lamented here.  

My contribution, these are artists that guarantee that I will change the station.  

Tom Petty

Heart

AC/DC

Led Zeppelin 

U2

Eagles

John Mellencamp 

And that's just off the top of my skull.  

Edited to add:  

Beatles

Jimi Hendrix

The Who

Foreigner

Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

ZZ Top

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Mind Blown 1

I'm sure the fact that I've hated this song since the first time I heard it is part of the problem, but please, no more Fight Song by Rachel Platten. I hear it on every station, the video is on MTV all the time. I am sick to death of this song.

• Love 2

I'm sure the fact that I've hated this song since the first time I heard it is part of the problem, but please, no more Fight Song by Rachel Platten. I hear it on every station, the video is on MTV all the time. I am sick to death of this song.

This song is so bland and powerless that it is just pointless and annoying.

I confuse this with Heartbeat Song, for some weird reason. Maybe because I don't like the lyrics for similar reasons? I like Kelly's voice, but it is just silly.

• Love 1
(edited)

Pretty much anything Calvin Harris. This idiot doesn't sing a note, yet he is always the first person getting mention on the hit songs. I don't know why, but I find that to be a turn off. It also doesn't help that he looks like he hasn't bathe for days.

Him & Rhianna  - We Found Love

Him singing Magic in the Summer song with some nobody.

Him & that bitch Ellie Goulding in a couple of songs. (Outside & I need your love)

Him & that other clown David Guetta can't disappear fast enough for me. Both of them are an embarrassment to music.

Speaking of Ellie Goulding, I cannot stand 50 Shades of Gray & I'm at my wits end having to hear "Love Me Like You Do" on a daily basis. Her voice is very grating & she sucks. She would of been a has been already without Calvin Harris always being involved in her music.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 4