Type keyword(s) to search

"If I Hear That Song One More Time..."

GaT
  • Start Topic

Is the song on every time you turn on the radio? And on multiple stations at the same time? Does the video for it play over, & over, & over every day? Does hearing the opening notes of it give you nervous twitches?

Yes, this topic is for songs that have been played so much, you can't stand them anymore. It has nothing to do with if the song is good or not, you may have even loved it at some point, but now, you just want it to die.

Right now, this is my list, it probably doesn't contain them all

Fancy - Iggy Azalea

Best Day of My Life - American Authors

Mirrors - Justin Timberlake

All of Me - John Legend

Problem - Ariana Grande

Me And My Broken Heart - Rixton

Stay With Me - Sam Smith

Rude - Magic!

Am I Wrong - Nico And Vinz

Anything by Katy Perry

I have a feeling that new Taylor Swift song is going to be on this list when it's played a million times an hour on every top 40 radio station around the world.

OMG, yesterday was the first day I had heard it (was it just released yesterday?) I turned on my car radio & it was on. Then I switched stations & it was on that station too, then I switched again & it was on a third station, all at the same time! About 10 minutes later I put another station on & yep, you guessed it, there it was again. In the space of about half an hour, it was on 4 times. I think I heard the song about 10 times yesterday, it's going to be really high on my list.

• Love 2

I can't overstate my hatred of the song "Rude" by Magic. It's about a man who goes to his girlfriend's father to get his permission to marry his daughter and gets turned down. The idea of a woman being treated as a piece of property to be passed from one owner to the next makes me want to throw up. It's in heavy rotation on the radio station we listen to at work and it's all I can do not to throw something at the radio when it comes on. Hate.

• Love 5

I have a feeling that new Taylor Swift song is going to be on this list when it's played a million times an hour on every top 40 radio station around the world.

I heard it once and I am already sick of it. 

Anything by Ariana Grande is on my list. Most of the time she is singing so high that I cannot understand the words that she is singing.

• Love 2

"Wonderful Christmastime" -- Paul McCartney

I HATE this one with a PASSION.

I LOVE Christmas music (I listen to it all year round) and I like the Beatles, but "Wonderful Christmastime" is just really awful. I can't really explain why, but when I hear the intro, I can't change the station fast enough. Although last year I heard Straight No Chaser's version, and it's way better than Sir Paul's.

• Love 2

I LOVE Christmas music (I listen to it all year round) and I like the Beatles, but "Wonderful Christmastime" is just really awful. I can't really explain why, but when I hear the intro, I can't change the station fast enough. Although last year I heard Straight No Chaser's version, and it's way better than Sir Paul's.

Yea that's me too. It's the whole "ding dong, ding dong" let the children sing their song thing that kind of gets on my nerves for some reason.

I don't know the title of the song but the chorus goes, "Text me in the morning. Tell me that you love me..." I hear it every morning around the ten o'clock hour.

"Text Me In The Morning" by neon Trees :-)

More Christmas songs I can't stand: "The Happy Elf" by Harry Connick Jr. and "Silent Night" at least as sung by Michael Bolton. Since I work retail, I'm forced to listen to Christmas music at work,by which I get tired of many Christmas songs by the end of the holiday season.

Edited by garnet
  • Love 1

I worked Christmas in a store that had maybe two cassettes (yeah, it was that long ago*) of Christmas music, and one of them was Frank Sinatra.  By Christmas Eve, I thought I'd shoot myself if I heard "I love those J-I-N-G-L-E bells....bing!" (the intro to Jingle Bells) one more time.  But after many years away from Frank and lots of therapy, I can actually enjoy the song, including the intro.  It's even kind of nostalgic.

Maybe I'm heartless, but I cannot stand the Christmas shoes song; Mary Did You Know;  and All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth. On the non-holiday song front, it's anything by Michael Bolton and Butterfly Kisses.   Give me a minute, I could probably make a list a mile long.

*I've worked lots of retail during and not during the holidays, but the other places had larger music selections/options. 

• Love 1

Problem by Ariana Grande needs to die.  Every time she strains her voice for those high notes I think to myself, "Bitch, you can't sing!  STOP!!"

Her voice makes my ears bleed it's so high, I'm surprised that anyone beside dogs can hear it.

• Love 1

And the list just keeps growing.

Black Widow By Iggy Azalea & Rita Ora

Boom Clap by Charli XCX

Summer by Calvin Harris

Ain't It Fun by Paramore

Stay The Night by Zedd with Hayley Williams

I pretty much only listen to Spotify so I don't have this problem unless the shuffle keeps hitting the same songs. Also, I have a rather high tolerance for hearing the same song over and over. However, there was a time when I could not escape Selena Gomez's Come and Get It. And I didn't even dislike that song. As for Blurred Lines, I have actually walked out of places when it started playing. I still like the chorus/hook of Rude. I think it's attached to some commercial because I hear it more often than I should. Just listening to the hook I can pretend it's attached to a better song. 

I don't know if any of you are based in NY but here the safest radio station (other than Pandora) to play seems to be 106.7 lite fm. They play the same songs over and over again. This is incredibly irritating if you're out doing errands and you go to the grocery store, Staples, Duane Reade, pizza place, etc. to be confronted with the same songs. 

aradia22, depending where in New York you are, have you tried WEHM (92.9/96.9, and streaming at WEHM.com) on LI?   They bill themselves as progressive - play some older stuff (T. Rex, Neil Young, Replacements/Paul Westerberg, Crowded House/Neil Finn, Joni MItchell) and lots of newer stuff.  I find that I like about 95% of what they play, and they've clued me in to some great songs.  I don't work there or know anyone who does, I just like them.  You may or may not, just putting it out there..

Anaconda by NIcki Minaj haunts me...I'd never heard it (but heard of it) until it was listed here and I looked up the music video.  Big mistake.  But now if I hear it on the radio I can't turn it off!  It's not that I like, it's that I keep listening in shock that such a terrible song can be so popular.

• Love 3

So I had a shopping day over the Labor Day weekend and got an earful of radio. Other than the oldies, I think I'm hitting one of those good moments when the things that I like are popular/I can tolerate the things that are popular. Of the songs I recognized there was some Betty Who, Ingrid Michaelson, Ellie Goulding, and female performers in that kind of electro pop vein. I will say that Girls Chase Boys, cute and commercial-friendly as it is, is one of those songs that gets old really fast. It reminds me a little of Regina Spektor's Dance Anthem of the 80's but less interesting. I wish she'd go back to the more lyrically complex songs of her first album.

Since we are on the topic of Christmas songs, I cannot stand Santa Baby or I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. Both are very grating to me.

I agree with both of these. I heard Madonna's version of Santa Baby while shopping & couldn't escape. Luckily I did not have any sharp objects or I might have poked my eardrums out.

I usually listen to my own music on iTunes in the car. When I am stuck listening to regular radio, it seems the same old artists & the same old songs. There are no interesting local stations here, just pop, so it's a stream of Taylor Swift, Iggy Azalea, etc, all of which leave me reaching for my own music.

• Love 1

I agree with both of these. I heard Madonna's version of Santa Baby while shopping & couldn't escape. Luckily I did not have any sharp objects or I might have poked my eardrums out.

I usually listen to my own music on iTunes in the car. When I am stuck listening to regular radio, it seems the same old artists & the same old songs. There are no interesting local stations here, just pop, so it's a stream of Taylor Swift, Iggy Azalea, etc, all of which leave me reaching for my own music.

Same here. Only with Mariah Carey trying to sing, "Bringin on the heart break". Her take on Def Leppard's song made me want to throw stuff.

I'd love to do that... I generally try to tune to classic rock stations or NPR (when they're not doing stories that are... ones that make me want to turn the channel).

I'm adding to my list, Cool Kids by Echosmith. Not only am I sick of the song, but they have done something I truly hate. Their first video for this song has been out for months, maybe even a year, then instead of releasing a different song, they just released a different video for the same song. I really hate when bands do this, & I don't even understand why they do it to begin with.

First video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfHNWXeD_GQ

Second video

One Republic's "When the Love Runs Out".  Damn, where I live, this song is everywhere.  My Mother even loves it.  I can't change the radio station in the car fast enough when it comes on.

"I Will Survive" has been played to death more than any other song in history.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that "Stairway to Heaven" is right around the same area.

• Love 3

I'm adding to my list, Cool Kids by Echosmith. Not only am I sick of the song, but they have done something I truly hate. Their first video for this song has been out for months, maybe even a year, then instead of releasing a different song, they just released a different video for the same song. I really hate when bands do this, & I don't even understand why they do it to begin with.

First video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfHNWXeD_GQ

Second video

I think the reason I dislike this song is that the "I wish that I could be like the cool kids" is sung twice in the same refrain, & "like the cool kids" once in that same refrain, & each set is repeated SIX times. There's not much more to the song. Did they give up writing?

The tune & singing aren't bad though.

• Love 1

Certain songs by Queen... We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions come to mind. I don't mind Queen, but I feel that those songs are over used.

Once a song becomes a sports anthem, you will get sick of it right quick. Like the Queen pair mentioned above or Gary Glitter's Rock n Roll, Pt. 2. Of course, the one that is in every football stadium right now (American and soccer) is White Stripes' Seven Nation Army.

• Love 2

Once a song becomes a sports anthem, you will get sick of it right quick. Like the Queen pair mentioned above or Gary Glitter's Rock n Roll, Pt. 2. Of course, the one that is in every football stadium right now (American and soccer) is White Stripes' Seven Nation Army.

Definitely. They play the heck out of it until people's ears bleed.

Good kisser by Usher. It comes on way too much. And it always comes in when I'm in the car with my kids. When I'm not in the mood to explain what the song means. So I change the station.

I don't get tired of We Will Rock You. It's short, it's catchy, and it doesn't really burrow into my head. We Are the Champions, however, is one of my 'punch holes in the radio in my hurry to change the channel' songs, and it drives me nuts that radio stations treat them like one song.

It's not a current "If I hear that one more time...", but I'm working on a story that takes place in 2010 and one scene involves a character singing the first song that comes into his head to drown out a supernatural influence. I spent a while mulling over what that was likely to be for this particular character, but after a while it occurred to me that in 2010 and 2011 everybody had Rolling in the Deep stuck in their heads at all times.