Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Written In The Stars

• Start Topic

Corey and Evelin--I hit the FF button but I did see a few snippets on PT.  He needs to take a page out of Steven's playbook and buy her flowers and ice cream, then present her a book of Mormon with a flowery cover and a love letter/essay in the front.

Sumit really does not want to marry Jenny.  His excuse now is that they still don't have a blessing from the parents even if the parents are pretending not to object.  In the preview for next week, he apparently is afraid to commit because they might divorce.  I had a third reason in mind but I have brain fog.   Even if they don't marry Jenny will hang around as long as she can or until the $$$ run out.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

What if Ariela, Biniyam, and Avi were all living together in the U.S., and Biniyam took a trip to Ethiopia to attend a family event, bringing Avi with him.

Do you think Ariela and her parents would be fine if that trip to attend a family event stretched into a two month visit?

Sadly, I  think Ari would be fine with it. I think she is the classic parent in a difficult situation who doesn't really want to be bothered with the child, but REALLY wants to use it to try to control Bini.

As for her parents, I'm not able to make that judgment since we really haven't seen much of the interaction between them and Avi. When you see Bini with Avi, there is no question that he is madly, totally in love with him. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

There have been 90 Day Fiance: The Other Way cast members I've disliked - a lot (Nicole Nafziger and Brittany Banks are two) - but I've never despised a cast member until now.

Ariela Weinberg.

She is pretty horrid.  If they were to go to a neutral professional therapist, I promise she would get up and leave when confronted with her bad and unhealthy behaviors.

All these women who rush into "relationships" with strange men they have never met (I do acknowledge Tiff and Ronald had met) and then get pregnant, ON PURPOSE, then wonder why it all went wrong and have fatherless babies.....ugh.  I know the men have the opportunity to wrap the rascal so I hold them accountable, too.

It is like they want some weird and fantastic story to tell at book club or yoga that makes them special and unique.

I agree Ari is beyond horrid and will always be horrid.  As a teacher, Avi will have MULTIPLE behavior issues in school as he has a mom who is straight up WEIRD.  She will condone and defend if/when Avi is having behavior issues.  Or:  Avi will know his mom is a holy terror and never DARE act up or question her.  It can go either way.

• Love 7

If Ari brings Avi back to the U.S. to live without Bini, as soon as he is old enough Avi will watch his father on the internet and start to hate his mother for the absence of his father who seems to really love him.  Ari may think she is going to win the battle over Avi but I think she will lose the war.  Unlike other families, Ari can say all the horrible things about Bini that she wants, but much of their relationship has been documented and will live forever on the internet.  

• Love 8

My first post (although I’ve been reading this site for years) and I just came on here to say, I hate Ari.  It doesn’t help that she’s seriously ugly (with a toothy smile almost all the time) and an absolute bitch, but I really think that Avi would be better off with just his father for a parent if they break up (and I doubt that they will as Ari likes to torture Bini way too much).  Everything is always about her.  Spoiled, entitled.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Raine said:

My first post (although I’ve been reading this site for years) and I just came on here to say, I hate Ari.  It doesn’t help that she’s seriously ugly (with a toothy smile almost all the time) and an absolute bitch, but I really think that Avi would be better off with just his father for a parent if they break up (and I doubt that they will as Ari likes to torture Bini way too much).  Everything is always about her.  Spoiled, entitled.

Congrats on your first post here on 90D! Ari manages to unite us in that we despise her and snark on her relentlessly. Which she deserves. 

Welcome! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Sumit mentioning in the preview that he doesn't want to go through another divorce is a huge red flag.  It signals that he doesn't expect the marriage to last.  My belief is that he intends to ditch Jenny when her age starts causing health problems and he has to take care of her, instead of having her take care of him, as well as the fact that the TLC money will at some point run out.  And he has had it brought home to him how much he would prefer living with his parents, with or without Jenny

Jenny is desperate to get married so she can stay in India, otherwise she has to go back to the US where it is more expensive to live, and her TLC money will be over.

So they have opposing goals.  Sumit has the upper hand in deciding their fate.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Raine said:

Welcome!!!   Join in on the snark!!  How you held back from commenting is admirable!

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Ariela and her parents know full well Biniyam doesn't have the financial resources they have, and because of that, they can do anything they want regarding Avi. Biniyam can't fight back.

Agree.

Ari has broken any trust that Bini may have had in her by not returning to Ethiopia after she promised up the wazoo that she would return. LIAR. If she had any shred of love for Bini she would have thought long and hard about going back on her word. I don't know if that kind of broken trust could ever be fully resolved between them.

There is no way a normal guy could ever be in a relationship with Ari. She's not capable. So sorry for Bini for getting tangled up in this mess. Yes, he's made this mistake before and yes, it's a big one and yes it's taken him time to learn - but I bet he will never involve himself with another foreign woman again.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Breedom said:

I bet [Bini] will never involve himself with another foreign woman again.

At least not until the next Ethiopian woman refuses to have unprotected sex with him.

Ariela is obnoxious, to be sure, but this is the franchise that gave us Angela, Ed, and Geoffrey. Her “ugly face” must be really bad to make her the worst of the lot.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

At least not until the next Ethiopian woman refuses to have unprotected sex with him.

Ariela is obnoxious, to be sure, but this is the franchise that gave us Angela, Ed, and Geoffrey. Her “ugly face” must be really bad to make her the worst of the lot.

I think it's more how she is using Avi against Bini.  It would be one thing if it was just the two of them and she bailed, but due to having Avi it's a whole 'nother ball game.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I think it's more how she is using Avi against Bini

And she always will.  She will always complain about him, always.  I took a break from this show when school started but I watched it a week or so again and found her amped up yelling, drama, and crying really elevated.  Like she was a whiner  before but she has gone from a 10 to a 60 in a short time.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I think it's more how she is using Avi against Bini.  It would be one thing if it was just the two of them and she bailed, but due to having Avi it's a whole 'nother ball game.

I agree that she isn’t a great partner — my first post in this thread was about how she somehow managed to be irritated with Bini and Avi having a happy reunion. But what have we seen Bini do for their relationship since the apartments he sourced well before Avi was born? He gets to coast off the effort he put in months ago just because Ari isn’t as cute as the audience decided Bini deserved.

Neither of them seems to be mature enough to be a parent. If you can’t handle your girlfriend’s ex showing up with some utilitarian bras (that his own girlfriend picked out!) the correct response is not to take him to the gym and choke him.

• Love 6

I don’t know about editing or timelines, but Ari seemed to have lost a lot of weight in a very short period during her stay in the US.  However her  baby appears happy, outgoing and thriving. Maybe grandma is doing much of the caretaking.  Babies pick up on sour faces and moods, I think, and that’s Ari’s demeanour most of the time.  

Ari has issues.  She’s lived as a princess resulting in a lack of maturity, selfishness and a need to control.  If Bini could emigrate and be with Ari 24/7  she still would not be happy.  She’s over him.  

Why do these 90DF gals never use protection?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Welcome!!!   Join in on the snark!!  How you held back from commenting is admirable!

6 hours ago, hookedontv said:

Congrats on your first post here on 90D! Ari manages to unite us in that we despise her and snark on her relentlessly. Which she deserves. 

Welcome! 

Thanks!  I yell at the TV a lot, Mrs Hanson, but something about that woman has forced me to post ;-)

• Love 4
On 11/7/2021 at 3:28 PM, Chloe Dog said:

I can't really comment on the astrologer's skill in astrology; he was more of a Captain Obvious, but he didn't do too bad as a family counsellor.  Maybe he makes more money with a hocus pocus gig?

His "let what happens happen" take kind of reminded me of my Buddhist grandmother trying to explain "namaste" to me.  But I think he must have an angle.  Mama Summit's "if we stop standing in the way, Summit will realize he doesn't want this either" strategy looks like it may pay off.

• Love 6

As the astrologer was telling Mama Summit she was being selfish, I was cackling with glee as the “oh poop” expression came to Summit’s face as he realized he would have to be clever and think on his feet to find another plausible excuse for postponing a wedding. I’m guessing that is not a strength and he’s only been able to get by because of Jenny’s naivety.  Jenny seems nice enough, but she has absolutely zero social skills or ability to read people. She reminds me of a 9 year old on my son’s football team who is super sweet but runs around the whole time wearing an expression of awe and confusion.

Is there something wrong with Ariela? Like she seems so fragile and with her mom saying “we have to keep her happy” it almost seems like they are afraid the real world will break her. Well, if that is the case, maybe she should refrain from doing things that have big girl consequences…like having unprotected sex. I wonder how long Ariela will be in Nigeria before she hires a nanny to do the parenting of her pawn…I mean son (who deserves so much better than this and who clearly had a bond with his dad).

• Love 4

I’m so confused by the whole Ari and Bini thing. At first I was kind of on her side - sure she should have just done the surgery in Ethiopia, but on the other hand is she never going to be able to go visit back home without Bini having a breakdown? Maybe she missed her family and it was a convenient excuse to visit (I should know better than to give these people the benefit of the doubt). 

BUT she lost me when she had a meltdown over Bini having friends over to the house? Either she knows he cheated or something really bad and isn’t telling us or she’s just nuts. 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Raine said:

Thanks!  I yell at the TV a lot, Mrs Hanson, but something about that woman has forced me to post ;-)

We all yell at the tv with these fools.  I am a sped teacher and needed to dial it back in late August but I watched the last few episodes while my hubs was hunting.  These fools are really an exercise in the three "C"'s of addiction:  You did not cause it, you can not control it, nor can you cure it.

The control one is big because these fools can't/won't find anyone to date in their geographic region so they need to reach out to poverty ravaged regions (for the most part) and pick financially vulnerable people.  Or they are vulnerable themselves (Danielle, Jenny, Yolanda) and are caught up by scammers.  Not 100% Mo was a scammer, people are still divided on him.  

What also makes me laugh/infuriates me is how they get their family members and friends to do their dirty work and interview them over and OVER over their motives.  Calling them gold diggers when there ain't no gold to dig!  (Full disclosure:  I had a co-worker of my first husband ask if I was a gold digger in 1992 and I have not forgotten it.  It was very hurtful.  More disclosure:  My ex never made more than $35,000 a year, still doesn't, and no, I was not looking for gold.  Always made my own money.  Wow I am really getting it out this morning, no???)

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Mahamit looks less and less like a scammer as the seasons go on and the 90 Day Universe delivers Azan, Sumit, and The Williams. At least Mo married Dinyell! 

My take on him is that he was earnest and realized Danielle was selling him a bill of goods.  He has said he is never appearing on the show again, chastised producers for dwelling on the waaaaaay past and not asking about her nursing studies and trying to better herself.  He is working as an OTR trucker and seems very happy.  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Pesky Ramadan strikes again!

I have no dog in the fight, but I have worked with practicing Muslims and yes, you can kiss during Ramadan.  My friend and her hubby did the shim sham during Ramadan as well.  

In all fairness, the first time I got married the minister did not allow us to kiss at the alter.  A few too many couples made a meal of each other in front of him and he was like, nope.  So, Danielle, you are in good company.  Second wedding:  ZERO organized religion, lol.

• LOL 1
3 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I have no dog in the fight, but I have worked with practicing Muslims and yes, you can kiss during Ramadan.  My friend and her hubby did the shim sham during Ramadan as well.  

In all fairness, the first time I got married the minister did not allow us to kiss at the alter.  A few too many couples made a meal of each other in front of him and he was like, nope.  So, Danielle, you are in good company.  Second wedding:  ZERO organized religion, lol.

By "pesky Ramadan", I meant that Mo used that as an excuse -- not that it was necesarily true 😄 

No kissing at the altar - wow! "Made a meal of each other" made me snort. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Mama Summit found a way to use the Astronomer's advice to her advantage.  Take away the "Romeo and Juliet, everyone is against us so we have to cling together" dynamic and let them deal with each other.  Summit was really counting on being told they shouldn't be together.  Not sure if that was going to be his exit strategy or just keeping things as they are.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, lh25 said:

Summit was really counting on being told they shouldn't be together.  Not sure if that was going to be his exit strategy or just keeping things as they are.

My hunch is that he didn't/doesn't have an exit strategy as such. I don't think he's been actively planning to leave Jenny, because that would take a degree of decisiveness he's not capable of, or finding a way to force her to leave, because that (like deciding to leave himself) would end the Social Security/TLC gravy train. Either way he'd have to go back to work at an actual job, because I don't see his parents allowing him to schlump around their house while they support him indefinitely. So my vote is that he's trying to keep things as they are for as long as possible.

The pure panic on his face and in his body language when he realized there was no current hindrance to getting married was indescribably fun to watch.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

Honestly, half the fun of watching this show  is coming here to the forum and dissecting what happened, what it means, and what might happen in the future.  I appreciate all of you so much!

I have also started watching the Pillow Talk episodes.  They are hilarious!

• Love 13

If there was a body language 101 course they could use Sumit as their beginner study. As many here have said, his face and body language for the rest of the episode after his mother took a 180 was hilarious. I was like Sumit, everyone is calling your bluff, what are you going to do now to get out of marriage? 
The best part of the episode was watching Alina with the cats. The more I see of Steven the more he makes my skin crawl and I don’t want to see him anymore. 
Can this episode be Cory and Evilyn’s happy ending and can their story be wrapped up with that and can they go away from my screen forever?

As far as the Ari hatred, each new iteration of the show tends to bring on strong hatred of at least one person. The ones we are watching now are fresh in our memory but I still remind myself of how bad others were from past seasons. I get so tired of watching certain ones that I want them to go away so I don’t have to watch them anymore. I know certain ones bring a lot of drama which they think is good for their ratings. But they shouldn’t continue to give a platform to people that are clearly abusers (Angela etc) and it is also not fun to watch scammers at work (the Williams etc). All that being said, the worst ones to me are Geoffrey the real life monster, and the vile Eric and Leida, with their child abusing ways and personalities like rabid animals. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

All that being said, the worst ones to me are Geoffrey the real life monster, and the vile Eric and Leida, with their child abusing ways and personalities like rabid animals. 

Andrew and Tiffany are in the mix too.  Andrew:  "I have given up so much for her as I relax at the pool and drink.  What's that?  She is on lockdown?  Bummer."

I can't rag on Tiffany anymore or people will suggest I need professional help.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Come sit by me. I loathe Tiffany with the heat of a thousand suns. 

I will!  No I have gone off on her SO MANY TIMES I think I do need help.  The peak was at the Tell All.  Ronald's mom:  "I am going to express how much I care for you and help you and support you!"  Tiffany cries.  Why?  Because she is moved?  Because she realizes her errors?  No, "I AM PISSED OFF."  Whaaaaaat?  Why?  Oh because you are a selfish ASSHOLE who will NEVER own her mistakes.  And you got pregnant a day after landing.  (Yes I looked it up on a day to day calendar.  Don't judge me.  Then tells Daniel "Oh if you hate it here we'll go home."  Daniel wants to go home.  "WHAT???  But this is YOUR FAMILY NOW!  We are staying so I can control Ronald and hold his testicles in my purse along with his bankcard."  Ugh.  Thanks a lot @hookedontv, there I went again, lol!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I did not expect an astrologer to be the most reasonable person this season!

Sadhna is changing course like a master warrior. And the look on Sumit's face when Jenny said she wanted to get married tomorrow. Him running out of excuses…yikes!

How many times has Jenny said that she's not going to wait forever? She's been waiting for almost ten years. There is no relationship coach in the world who would support this.

Jenny...you want to be loved. Everyone wants to be loved...no sin in that, but you need to stop wasting precious time on Sumit. Why do you want to keep pushing this? Cut bait, find a good man who WANTS to be with you. You ever hear the expression "there's no fool like an old fool"? Grow up and go live the rest of your life and just stop chasing this guy half your age. It's ridiculous.

The Turkish street cats were the stars of this episode. Would rather hang out with those cats than with SteVen.

Ari is a dingbat with an agenda. I saw from the short preview at the end of this show that Ari's mother has a "discussion" with Bini. She has a vested interest in getting Ari and Avi back to the states.

She’s all projection and accusing him of cheating since that’s essentially what she did to her Argentinian husband. It’s all out of sight out of mind with Ari, and her insecurity and past is catching up to her/driving her accusations on this. She is definitely trying not to seem like the bad person.

She is so spoiled it’s unbelievable. How is she ever going to learn from her mistakes if her parents keep babying her and bankrolling her?

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Hotel Snarker said:

I did not expect an astrologer to be the most reasonable person this season!

Hahaha!  He is standing in for us.

9 minutes ago, Hotel Snarker said:

Sadhna is changing course like a master warrior.

She is in stealth mode now, and probably more dangerous than ever!

10 minutes ago, Hotel Snarker said:

The Turkish street cats were the stars of this episode. Would rather hang out with those cats than with SteVen.

You and me both!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, nutella fitzgerald said:

I think it’s something to do with slut people.

Asuelo said "Condoms are for slut people".

Kalani said you can't use [hormonal] birth control if you're breastfeeding. (Yes. Yes you can).

Bunch of Einsteins competing to see who can give birth to the next genius first, I guess...

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Wow Ariela has really taken the fake/ ugly crying face to a new level.

I suspect the Astrologer will see whatever in the stars makes them the most money.

Alina mentioning they tried to make friends in Turkey but couldn’t. Can you blame anyone after two seconds of Steven I would run.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

In my opinion, Ari never really particularly wanted to be a wife and a mother.  She wanted to continue to be the daughter that needed help and intervention.  She has never been on her own two feet and has no desire to.  She may love Avi on some level, but it's not the kind of mama bear love you see, and not the kind that is upset when the father and son are happy to see each other.  As I said before, if she was truly an adult living the cards dealt her, she would have found work as a translator, an English tutor, something, but no...she sat at home (which her parents paid for) and complained.  To me, she never broke the parental bond and became a true adult. 

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Andrew and Tiffany are in the mix too.  Andrew:  "I have given up so much for her as I relax at the pool and drink.  What's that?  She is on lockdown?  Bummer."

I can't rag on Tiffany anymore or people will suggest I need professional help.

Andrew’s Ex (her name escapes me at the moment) dodged a bullet when she got away from that abusive ogre. Tiffany is also on my shortlist for one of the most annoying. I have known sanctimonious self-made martyrs like her before, and her going on and on definitely set off the rage meter quick. 

Edited by PinkFlamingo
  • Love 5
On 11/8/2021 at 10:56 AM, Meowwww said:

This!   So well  said. 
Did anyone else catch Mother Ari tell Bini “we have to make Ari feel ok.  She’s not well” or something like that.  Like a mom would say about their 6 year old. 

My armchair diagnosis is that Ari had and has very serious mental issues up to hospitalization. This is why parents treat her as a porcelain doll.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Andrew’s Ex (her name escapes me at the moment) dodged a bullet when she got away from that abusive ogre. Tiffany is also on my shortlist for one of the most annoying. I have known sanctimonious self-made martyrs like her before, and her going on and on definitely set off the rage meter quick. 

Amira.  I can remember that but not a password I created yesterday.

16 hours ago, Hotel Snarker said:

How is she ever going to learn from her mistakes if her parents keep babying her and bankrolling her?

Because they all have family roles that they are very comfortable in and it works for them.  I know people like that in real life.  It is very odd to me but hey - works for them, right?

59 minutes ago, Maximadc said:

My armchair diagnosis is that Ari had and has very serious mental issues up to hospitalization. This is why parents treat her as a porcelain doll.

No I think you are right.  She seemed medicated to me when introduced.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Maximadc said:

This. I do not think she is well. I think there has been a lot of chaos at home for Ari and instability and beneath her parents relationship there is a dark story. I think Janice married up for the $$ and is a professional manipulator. Ari's dad seems detached to me. She's a problem but I think she came honest by it from her raising, really as we all do in our own way. 

Ari did not want to be a mom as much as she wanted to go be a famous blogger/influencer, go to hot yoga on the regular with her fair trade sourced coffee and and brag about her international fiance/husband and finally the novel thing of going to give birth in Ethiopia. Clinging to attention and standing out.  There's an undiagnosed mental health disorder or learning disability that causes her to struggle that has never been dealt with in a healthy way she has probably gotten by on money and being white. Just saying. 

• Love 6

When I’m looking at Ari, Angela and Ellie, I see that although they are married the guys with different skin color and probably consider themself very openminded and progressive, they don’t treat their husbands like equals. 
With Angela we see physical and emotional abuse every time she is on TV, however nobody says anything and she has not received any consequences for her behavior. 
I felt so bad for Bini every time Ari was talking to him. Who are you to give him an ultimatum, telling him that you feel sorry for him?

This guy knows that he can’t win this battle because her family will hire the best lawyers, and he will be lucky to see his son once a year for a week. And Ari’s mom is smart enough to make Bini feel that it is all his fault.

But Ari and her mother made one big mistake - they flew back to Africa. Smart enough not to fly to Ethiopia though. I think they consulted an attorney before their flight and learned that in Ethiopia Bini would have much more power to control the situation. 
however, I believe (and if there are any lawyers here, please correct me if I’m wrong) that Bini can stop Ari from taking the child outside the country borders and start a custody process in Africa. While he is still on TV, he can get a docent lawyer(remember Larissa?) and hopefully the result will be fair. I wish someone would guide him and help him fight for his parental rights. 
PS I hate Ari and how she manipulates people around her

• Love 6

Didn’t I hear somewhere that Ari has a history of cutting?  This might have been what he mother was worried about when she said that she’s not well. She’s probably afraid that if Ari gets stressed she will start cutting again. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
21 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Honestly, half 95% of the fun of watching this show  is coming here to the forum and dissecting what happened, what it means, and what might happen in the future.  I appreciate all of you so much!

Fixed that....

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Didn’t I hear somewhere that Ari has a history of cutting?  This might have been what he mother was worried about when she said that she’s not well. She’s probably afraid that if Ari gets stressed she will start cutting again. 

Yes, she has a history of cutting. I saw Ari's scars on her arms on the first episode or so when she was sleeveless, so I knew that at least at some point in life, she had issues. And I'm pretty sure somewhere (not on the show) she was quoted as talking about cutting.

Many people cut and recover. She may not (?) still be cutting, but she appears far from recovered with her issues.