Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E05: Kieran Culkin / Ed Sheeran

• Start Topic

Just now, topanga said:

The only sketch of the night that made me think "WTF is this?" I didn't laugh once. I would have much preferred to see the Black Succession sketch or the Kieran taxi driver sketch.

Apparently kept in because it was short. That "Fainting Couch" sketch sounded amazing and I hope we see it in another show.

7 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Was it just me or did Ed Sheeran look like he was lip synching?  I thought that wasn’t allowed on SNL?

I don't think he was; however he did just get over COVID so maybe he was a bit more out of breath than usual

/Ed Sheeran fan girl

• Love 3
On 11/7/2021 at 1:14 AM, possibilities said:

New Guy's Trump impression is shockingly good, but I still don't want to see it. Find someone who can do a Biden impression. Be relevant.

The impression was good, the content was conspicuously sanitized, normalizing him as if he's just another celebrity eccentric a la Kanye. 

I don't get the appeal of Kieran Culkin at all.   But then, I don't like Succession either (every episode is just a slightly different version of every other episode).

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
On 11/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, peeayebee said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Even if that isn't really feasible with a live sketch, it would have been great.

That was pretty good, and wouldn't it be great if those stupid chants could be countered with "Let's go Badnoodle"? Oh, and the other day I found myself driving behind a car with a Let's Go Brandon sticker.

I watch Succession, and Culkin's character of Roman just irritates and grosses me out to no end. Yes, just about all the characters are despicable, but Roman is my least favorite character to hate. It's not just his personality; he seems physically dirty and slimy all the time. It's hard for me not to see Culkin that way. So while I always appreciate a host clearly having a good time, he didn't add that much to the show for me.

It was a great impression, and the writing was perfect. I figure JAJ had a huge (sole?) hand in the writing. The rundown parts were so Trump: incoherent, inane ramblings desperately inanely tied together in an attempt to create coherence. The only thing I wasn't pleased with was that it was too accurate. I think a comedic impression should have some exaggeration. 

That's only if you WANT the landline. 

I always love Cecily's Jeanne impression. So so good. The Spectrum sketch was also good. 

Loved The Heist. I can't remember what other Chris Redd sketch it was like, but since I love Chris Redd, I don't mind the repetition. Kenan's security guard's reactions also cracked me up.

Ego as Dionne Warwick is fun. My favorite line was, "Cardi B. Why does she need the B? Was there another Cardi in the class?" I didn't care for Chloe's Miley impression. I haven't seen or listened to Miley in a while, but her voice didn't seem quite right to me. Loved that the real Dionne Warwick came on. I also loved her and Ego singing together. I actually teared up a bit.

The Men's Restroom sketch was also very good. Alex being a murderer was a funny bit. Too bad that was stomped on by adding Tracy Morgan and his poop joke. I don't have anything against Tracy; it's just that it was a pointless addition.

The Jockey was weird and kinda funny, but something about it fell flat for me. Maybe I just wish the idea were executed a different way.

Wake Up Rhode Island was fine. Again, I think it could have been done better.

The Car Heist Reminded Me OF When Kenan And Chris Redd Were In A Gang And Chris Redd Wanted To Take Over, But Kenan Said That Chris Redd Did Not Know What He Was Doing ! Chris Redd Said He Did And Kenan Asked Chris Redd What Was The Address And Chris Redd Said What WAs The Address Ad Kenan Said i Guess You Know The Address And Chris Redd Said No, I Am Asking What Was The Address ! Then, Kenan Said Chris Would Take Over The Gang, But, Kenan Would Watch And Help Chris Some Times So Chris Redd Agreed To That !

On 11/7/2021 at 9:59 AM, chediavolo said:

Spectrum is THE WORST!!!!

Do You Mean Spectrum Is The Worst Company To Deal With OR Spectrum Is The Worst Sketch ? ?

On 11/7/2021 at 1:54 PM, Irlandesa said:

It may be but I felt the humor in this skit was universal.  I had a similar horrible experience with Comcast where all I wanted to do was updated my credit card information because it wasn't working online and I ended up with a customer service rep telling me everything was all good (it wasn't and then they assessed me a late fee) and trying to sell me on fewer channels for less money. 

They really don't want people dropping cable. 

I liked the cold open and the way they made Pete look like hot garbage (or at least I hope it was for the skit) but it went downhill once it hit Trump.  The writing for that didn't work for me and, oddly, made me think of Alec Baldwin and everything that is going on with him right now.

Overall, I thought the show started strong and fell off after Weekend Update.

I Also Thought Nothing Happened After Week End Update Except For That Last Sketch ! They Kept Having Commercials And Two Different Times, They Showed Him Standing There And More Commercials ! ! ! I Was Wondering Whether To Turn Off The TV ! Finally, They Had Their Good Nights ! 

On 11/7/2021 at 2:19 PM, Caseysgirl said:

Was it just me or did Ed Sheeran look like he was lip synching?  I thought that wasn’t allowed on SNL?

I Also Thought Ed Sheeran Was Lip Synching ! 

Despite the Ashlee Simpson debacle, there hasn’t been a no lip-syncing rule put into place as far as I can tell.  In fact, I presume it’s the norm unless ostensibly proved otherwise (Carlisle) - I also assume most rap acts are lip synced.  Now I’m not saying Ed IS lip-syncing and I’m not saying he’s not, but he is recovering from COVID seemingly without any negative effect on his voice or breath control, so…

• Love 1

All I saw the whole show was the host's stupid ass haircut. He was one short 'stache from a full Adolph. At times, I kept thinking he was Toby McGuire. Never watched Succession, the commercials look too much like a soap opera.

So is all the media brouhaha about the fact that Cecily, in her WU clown sketch, acknowledged she had an abortion at 23? It's like everyone is talking in code and I'm not quite sure. Partway through the sketch it occurred to me that was what she was doing, but even so, aside from saying she did and why, I'm not sure what else the sketch said to get all the headlines yesterday? I suppose it is topical with the SC involvement today. I need to watch the bit again.

The Spectrum commercial was very good, though a variation of what has been done many times (usually with cable companies, sometimes airlines or phone companies). It's hard to cancel a lot of things these days. I've had to dispute cc payments a couple of times to stop payments and service. What I really want to know is, which consultant came up with the advice to hide the ability to cancel service as an ethical tactic, and who accepts it at each company?

The Trump impression was good in a way Baldwin's wasn't, but was lacking in ways Baldwin's was good. The new guy has the voice inflections down, but he doesn't seem visually convincing. 

The 90s horse sketch was mostly boring, in the way that all sketches whose whole joke is that it resembles another era is boring. I kept waiting for something funny to happen, but it was really just "Hey, remember the Avril Lavigne vibe?" Note: Yes, she hit big in the early 2000s, but that whole "skater boi" thing was hers.

Edited by Ottis
4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Once upon a time Trump himself praised Hammond's impression, so I'd expect his fans would agree. 

Yeah, the Hammond-era take on Trump was pretty complimentary, presenting him as a gleeful shit-stirrer who needles people for his own amusement ("His real name is Jebra!"), compared to Baldwin's Trump, a dumb asshole who's always miserable and never gets the joke, or JAJ's, a straight-up lunatic who can't stop every random thought from escaping his mouth like an angry ghost.

47 minutes ago, Ottis said:

The Trump impression was good in a way Baldwin's wasn't, but was lacking in ways Baldwin's was good. The new guy has the voice inflections down, but he doesn't seem visually convincing.

It also doesn't quite have the same delirious rhythm of JAJ's pre-SNL Trump bits, which appeared to be genuine stream-of-consciousness rambling. The "Rundown" segments seemed like they were based on JAJ's usual Trump riffs, but when you convert that hilarious word vomit into written lines and stick it on cue cards, it loses something.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Dev F said:

The "Rundown" segments seemed like they were based on JAJ's usual Trump riffs, but when you convert that hilarious word vomit into written lines and stick it on cue cards, it loses something.

Was the "Rundown" list a reference to something specific? The stream of consciousness reminded me a little of the word-association bits that Stephen used to do on the Colbert Report to "prove" some nonsense but I don't think he did those with a visual list. 

27 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Was the "Rundown" list a reference to something specific? The stream of consciousness reminded me a little of the word-association bits that Stephen used to do on the Colbert Report to "prove" some nonsense but I don't think he did those with a visual list. 

I think it is based on the Colbert segment The Word, which in turn was a parody of Bill O'Reilly's Talking Points Memo segment on Fox News. Maybe there's a closer analogue in some Fox News show I've never seen, but in general it's obviously supposed to evoke that Fox News "pointless chyron repeating whatever the host is bloviating about" vibe.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:07 AM, Ottis said:

Yes, I think he needs to do something with his face. Baldwin used to exaggerate that pursed-lip thing Trump does. I thought that JAJ's eyes looked too expressionless. I can't remember how long he's been doing this impression, but he needs to add some physicality to it.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, Dev F said:

It also doesn't quite have the same delirious rhythm of JAJ's pre-SNL Trump bits, which appeared to be genuine stream-of-consciousness rambling.

I just watched this video, and it's interesting that he's more animated and physically interesting than he was on the show. Maybe that's due to his reading the cue cards rather than improvising.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Ottis said:

All I saw the whole show was the host's stupid ass haircut. He was one short 'stache from a full Adolph. At times, I kept thinking he was Toby McGuire. Never watched Succession, the commercials look too much like a soap opera.

So is all the media brouhaha about the fact that Cecily, in her WU clown sketch, acknowledged she had an abortion at 23? It's like everyone is talking in code and I'm not quite sure. Partway through the sketch it occurred to me that was what she was doing, but even so, aside from saying she did and why, I'm not sure what else the sketch said to get all the headlines yesterday? I suppose it is topical with the SC involvement today. I need to watch the bit again.

I like his haircut!  It is a popular look these days.  He does look like a mini-Toby.

I only saw positive news articles on Cecily (well mostly positive, some called her bizarre), but then I went to Twitter.  Wow Twitter REALLY hated Goober.  

• Love 1
On 11/7/2021 at 8:35 AM, nickp1991 said:

Cecily’s Judge Jeanine impression is hilarious

It's possible that her impression is so good that I've grown to dislike Cicely and any character she portrays.

I just think she talks with her teeth (🤷🏻‍♀️!) and I can't unsee it.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

If you can't find hate on social media, you're not looking very hard.

Yes, but usually on Twitter the hate and rage is coming from all sides and directions.  This was a lot of very angry hate directed at her and SNL.  

22 hours ago, khyber said:

No horses allowed at college. Good to know.

My college allowed them!  Even for freshmen.

I loved what Cecily did with that "clown" bit on WU. I would have thought there'd at least be SOME love going her way. Sad.

ETA: does anyone know for sure how Ed Sheer(h?)an spells his name?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I loved what Cecily did with that "clown" bit on WU. I would have thought there'd at least be SOME love going her way. Sad.

I guess it depends on where you look, but I definitely saw some major love on my Twitter feed along with the replies on how it wasn't funny, wasn't what SNL should be, etc. Usually from clowns who will never be in the position to experience that particular situation...

ETA: does anyone know for sure how Ed Sheer(h?)an spells his name?

I'm guessing https://www.edsheeran.com has a pretty good idea.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

JAJ's Trump impression was great. Unfortunately, I didn't find the actual writing for Trump funny at all. By the time he got to the second list, I was wishing they would just wrap it up already.

This x 1K! The voice was scarily familiar but the physicality was too normal. Alec would exaggerate but only a little bit. Sometimes. Writing needs work (true for a lot of this show). Their targets are mostly obvious, doesn't appear to be an appreciable wit.

Bowen, Keenan and Cecily usually rise above their material.

On 11/8/2021 at 10:34 AM, peeayebee said:

Yes, I think he needs to do something with his face. Baldwin used to exaggerate that pursed-lip thing Trump does. I thought that JAJ's eyes looked too expressionless. I can't remember how long he's been doing this impression, but he needs to add some physicality to it.

I just watched this video, and it's interesting that he's more animated and physically interesting than he was on the show. Maybe that's due to his reading the cue cards rather than improvising.

I think he'll grow into it. First time doing it on the show with full prosthetics and reading from cue cards, he'll add more and get more comfortable.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:48 PM, vb68 said:

How typical they got a guy who can do an excellent Trump NOW.

I thought he sounded like Trump but didn't look like him at all.  So I haven't decided on that one at all.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, Dev F said:

compared to Baldwin's Trump, a dumb asshole who's always miserable and never gets the joke, or JAJ's, a straight-up lunatic who can't stop every random thought from escaping his mouth like an angry ghost.

So basically the two sides of Trump's personality.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:31 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought it was a riff on Pardon the Interruption and Around the Horn on ESPN.

• Love 1
On 11/7/2021 at 1:24 AM, Trini said:

I was! 😭

But yeah, this was a solid show. Dionne Warwick!!

But the last taped sketch was a dud for me; who are those people?? But besides that I wasn't impressed.

THANK YOU ! I AM Glad That I Was NOT The Only Person That Did NOT Like That Last Sketch With Those People ! Those Are The Writer's Sons ! The One Who Had Trouble With His Girl Friend Is Steve Higgins Son ! Steve Higgins Is The Announcer On The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon ! I Wish They Would Not Have Them And Let Them Do Other Things In A Few Years Like Be In Movies For Example !

On 11/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, peeayebee said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Even if that isn't really feasible with a live sketch, it would have been great.

That was pretty good, and wouldn't it be great if those stupid chants could be countered with "Let's go Badnoodle"? Oh, and the other day I found myself driving behind a car with a Let's Go Brandon sticker.

I watch Succession, and Culkin's character of Roman just irritates and grosses me out to no end. Yes, just about all the characters are despicable, but Roman is my least favorite character to hate. It's not just his personality; he seems physically dirty and slimy all the time. It's hard for me not to see Culkin that way. So while I always appreciate a host clearly having a good time, he didn't add that much to the show for me.

It was a great impression, and the writing was perfect. I figure JAJ had a huge (sole?) hand in the writing. The rundown parts were so Trump: incoherent, inane ramblings desperately inanely tied together in an attempt to create coherence. The only thing I wasn't pleased with was that it was too accurate. I think a comedic impression should have some exaggeration. 

That's only if you WANT the landline. 

I always love Cecily's Jeanne impression. So so good. The Spectrum sketch was also good. 

Loved The Heist. I can't remember what other Chris Redd sketch it was like, but since I love Chris Redd, I don't mind the repetition. Kenan's security guard's reactions also cracked me up.

Ego as Dionne Warwick is fun. My favorite line was, "Cardi B. Why does she need the B? Was there another Cardi in the class?" I didn't care for Chloe's Miley impression. I haven't seen or listened to Miley in a while, but her voice didn't seem quite right to me. Loved that the real Dionne Warwick came on. I also loved her and Ego singing together. I actually teared up a bit.

The Men's Restroom sketch was also very good. Alex being a murderer was a funny bit. Too bad that was stomped on by adding Tracy Morgan and his poop joke. I don't have anything against Tracy; it's just that it was a pointless addition.

The Jockey was weird and kinda funny, but something about it fell flat for me. Maybe I just wish the idea were executed a different way.

Wake Up Rhode Island was fine. Again, I think it could have been done better.

I Did Not Like Chloe's Impression Either ! Melissa's Impression Sounds More Like Miley ! I Think The Stick Shift Is Like Chris Being In A Gang And He Did Not Know What The Address Was So Kenan Had To Take Over ! I Think You May Be Right About The Fall Rap ! I Think They Went On Too Long With The Turkeys Dancing ! Maybe, Mikey Day Being The Scare Crow Would Be Better ! I Don't Like To Just Keep Seeing The Turkeys Dancing And Going On And On And On ! I Know They Had To Do Some Thing While The Weather Kept Getting Worse !

Who is Badnoodle ? Was That Kyle's Character's Last Name ?

On 11/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, heatherchandler said:

I like his haircut!  It is a popular look these days.  He does look like a mini-Toby.

I only saw positive news articles on Cecily (well mostly positive, some called her bizarre), but then I went to Twitter.  Wow Twitter REALLY hated Goober.  

I LOVE Cecily, But, I Did NOT Like That Clown Either On Week End Update And I Don't Care IF Cecily Had An Abortion ! I Think Women Should Be Able To Have Abortions ! I Just Thought IT Was SILLY !