Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Cold Snap

• Start Topic

On 11/9/2021 at 4:47 PM, ahpny said:

Yes, he was responsible for the 5 deaths in the boating accident (and maybe that rises to criminally negligent homicide), but he just didn't seem to make the cut as irredeemably evil as required by Harry's rules that governed Dexter's past kills.

That's not Harry's code. Harry's code is a killer who got away with it and that the douchebag fits like a glove. Otherwise we would have never had 8 seasons of this. With your code Dexter would have run out of victims after 5 episodes.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:53 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

When Matt's friend - Bill got high and told Dexter everything, this scene is not totally believable. How convenient… 🙄

Wasn't that a staple of the original show? I guess Dexter just has one of those faces people want to confess deep dark secrets to. 🤪

Would it have been better if he had conveniently overheard an argument where the guy who was covering wanted more money? Yes. But that's just not this show. We just have to live with that.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:16 AM, AngelaHunter said:

When people want to observe wild animals they usually pick a spot and wait for it. Unless the deer is stone deaf (even then it would probably feel the vibrations) I would expect it to be long gone by the time a person finished galloping and thundering through the woods, puffing, panting and crashing over branches. It still makes no sense to me.

Eh, deer are stupid and jump in front of cars all the time and those are really loud and vibrate a lot. While running after it is probably not the best hunting tactic, it doesn't seem like Dexter wanted to kill the deer.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:52 PM, ahpny said:

As awful as this "accident" was, it just seems somewhat beneath the evil of Dexter's many prior kills.

That's just because we only remember the big ones. Dexter had a lot of less flashy kills. This guy killed 5 people. That's a lot more than most of the basic kills.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:52 PM, ahpny said:

There's no evidence that this errant boater actually wanted anyone killed. As far as we know, he just wanted to show himself to be tough and intimidating (however stupid and irresponsible that was). Yes the daddy-backed cover up make it all worse, but again, this isn't quite in the same league as Dexter's previous kills, at least from my perspective and fading memories of the original series.

Not sure how this crime would be considered under NY or Ohio law, but under german law it would be murder. Some things are hard to translate, but there is the "Eventualvorsatz", where he accepted the death of these people as a possibility of his actions and base reasons for the crime, like pumping up his ego.

Edited by Zonk
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Even in the ocean, Dexter had to find a deeper spot to dump his body parts. In one episode, he found a drop-off next to a shelf that was more suited to his purposes. Now, with his "discards" in a comparatively shallow lake, there's a much better chance of them resurfacing or being hooked by someone. If he's going to keep killing, he better find a more permanent solution.

I thought Miami Dexter dumped in swamps where he had the help of the alligators to dispose of the remains?

I don't know anything about upstate New York but aren't there a lot of deep woods where he could dump a body and have not found for a long time, if ever? Especially in the winter, under a bunch of snow? Sorry if that's an ignorant question - I don't really have extensive body-dumping experience.

• LOL 1
7 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I thought Miami Dexter dumped in swamps where he had the help of the alligators to dispose of the remains?

I don't know anything about upstate New York but aren't there a lot of deep woods where he could dump a body and have not found for a long time, if ever? Especially in the winter, under a bunch of snow? Sorry if that's an ignorant question - I don't really have extensive body-dumping experience.

No. He cut up the bodies, put the chunks into biodegradable garbage bags (Dexter is eco-conscious!) and dumped them out in the ocean. After his graveyard was discovered, he moved to the Gulf Stream where the bags would be carried great distances.

I'm on a true-crime story kick at the moment, and there are very few victim bodies never found  and identified (although a minority are not) no matter where the serial killer dumped them - lakes, woods, construction sites, etc, - although it might take months to years to find them.

Also, carrying a heavy body into the deep woods would be an extremely onerous task, which is why most are dumped close to roads and trails. Of course, leaving tracks in the snow that lead to a body is not advisable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Also, carrying a heavy body into the deep woods would be an extremely onerous task, which is why most are dumped close to roads and trails. Of course, leaving tracks in the snow that lead to a body is not advisable.

Which reminds me: wouldn’t he have left drag marks in the snow when he took Matt’s body back home to the kill room? Even if he had a snowmobile or sled to take him on, there would be tracks left. It’s odd that we weren’t shown anything of how he transported the body.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/8/2021 at 8:51 PM, DiabLOL said:

I thought the routine of chasing the deer and aiming his rifle at it but then never pulling the trigger was either Dexter testing himself daily (are you still a killer?) OR he was “edging” but instead of withholding a sexual orgasm he withholds killing which he seems to find orgasmic.

That is something that was only lightly touched upon in the original series. Of course there is a sexual element that drives most ritualistic serial killers but we only really saw it when he killed the massive Beef Bus while gasping in orgasmic pleasure. That whole side of it is just way too squicky and too much of a turnoff for most people so we didn't really see that again. The few times Dexter was denied his full ritual the whole killing just fell flat and didn't satisfy him.

He found a reason to kill scumbag guy because he really wanted to kill someone so much that he decided to take the hysterical rantings of a drugged-up idiot as unimpeachable proof of guilt .

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

he decided to take the hysterical rantings of a drugged-up idiot as unimpeachable proof of guilt .

Surviving a high speed collision with only a dickface scar indicates that he was not driving.

• LOL 1

What a coincidence. I was just recently reading about a pig farmer serial killer. I don't think even Dexter could go to such ghoulish lengths. I hope not, anyway.

Also Hannibal and 2-parter in season 2 (I think) Criminal Minds "To Hell...and Back". 

It wasn't just the 5 people killed, it was a multitude of being an a$$hole in the store to his friend adding up...plus, killing him was an accident. 

I knew he was going to shoot the deer, but it still made me jump. That poor deer. I've had a similar encounter, but I didn't get right up close like that. He was massive, and stood there looking at me, wary, staring, and I just stood still, and stared back. I finally made the mistake of crouching, meaning to sit, and he knocked the ground three times, with his back-left hoof, and then turned around and raced off. Amazingly fast, beautiful. That was seven years ago. If someone had shot him in front of me, I would have bopped them, too. Not more than that, but I would have been pissed.

I don't buy that he hasn't killed for a decade. I thought his son was part of his imagination, like Deb. Wasn't Hannah the woman who poisoned people? 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Zonk said:

I think only like two people. She wasn't a serial killer, just your regular murderer.

She put poison in a camp counselor's coffee, went on the killing spree with the boyfriend where she for sure stabbed some old lady to death and probably had a hand killing others for kicks. Apparently she poisoned her first husband, stabbed the second one, and she killed the woman who owned the flower mart so she could have it. Finally she poisoned Deb. Twice. She was a cold-blooded killer who eliminated anyone who got in her way. I half-expected her to bump off Harrison when she got tired of dragging a whiny kid around Argentina.

I just last week finished rewatching the whole series, except for 8. No can do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I half-expected her to bump off Harrison when she got tired of dragging a whiny kid around Argentina.

Which is half the reason I didn't buy that Dexter would have left Harrison with her in the first place, even if he did at some point intend to join them.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

She put poison in a camp counselor's coffee, went on the killing spree with the boyfriend where she for sure stabbed some old lady to death and probably had a hand killing others for kicks. Apparently she poisoned her first husband, stabbed the second one, and she killed the woman who owned the flower mart so she could have it. Finally she poisoned Deb. Twice. She was a cold-blooded killer who eliminated anyone who got in her way. I half-expected her to bump off Harrison when she got tired of dragging a whiny kid around Argentina.

Guess I forgot like 90% of her kills. I only remembered her two husbands.

My brain probably tried to make sense of the fact that Dexter would leave harrison with a serial killer.

• Love 3
On 11/9/2021 at 2:25 PM, meowmommy said:

I did, too.  "Holy Mary, Mother of Fuck" is a line I've appropriated far, far too often...

My favorite was "Holy filet of fuck!" - and I have used it many times!  I always loved Deb.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MamaBird said:

My favorite was "Holy filet of fuck!" - and I have used it many times!  I always loved Deb.

She was the most creative cusser and I always wondered how much of it was scripted and how much she ad libbed. It seemed to flow so naturally from her mouth. I'm a big fan.

• Love 5
On 11/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, CarpeFelis said:

I think it was meant to be the Dark Passenger.

Thinking about this episode a little more… how the heck did it happen that Matt was the only one out there besides Dexter when he shot the deer? Wasn’t he planning on hunting with a bunch of his buddies? Seems like a plot contrivance to allow Dexter to get him back to his kill room without anyone seeing. And also how convenient that he had all that plastic sheeting and duct tape handy.

I took it as a representation of everyone he had dumped in the ocean in Florida.

For New Blood, it would have been a good idea to have set Dexter up in his new town working at a funeral home, instead of a sporting goods store!  He would have had access the disposal of bodies, especially, if there was a device there for cremation.  And, it would have been a fun nod to the actor’s former role of David on Six Feet Under, where his family operated a funeral home. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

For New Blood, it would have been a good idea to have set Dexter up in his new town working at a funeral home, instead of a sporting goods store!  He would have had access the disposal of bodies, especially, if there was a device there for cremation.  And, it would have been a fun nod to the actor’s former role of David on Six Feet Under, where his family operated a funeral home. 

Yeah but he would have had to be trained and licensed - just not far enough under the radar for our boy Dexter...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This would have been perfect!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

For New Blood, it would have been a good idea to have set Dexter up in his new town working at a funeral home, instead of a sporting goods store!

Unfortunately, Iron Lake does not have the same astronomical murder rate per capita as Cabot Cove, so he would get bored and start killing again...

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Yeah but he would have had to be trained and licensed - just not far enough under the radar for our boy Dexter...

Yes, but they could have just skipped all that, the way it's always done when details are inconvenient. This has always been a show where suspension of disbelief (sometimes major) was necessary.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, paigow said:

Unfortunately, Iron Lake does not have the same astronomical murder rate per capita as Cabot Cove, so he would get bored and start killing again...

I once read an article or a post somehwere, where somebody did the math and Cabot Cove came out as about the same as the national murder rate. Maybe a bit high for a small town, since there are usually more murders in the city, but not astronomically high. What would be astronomically high would be their solve rate, since Jessica solved every murder there.

Of course the more fun theory is that Jessica Fletcher is a serial killer who frames other people for her kills. The german title of the show even is "murder is her hobby", when translated back to english. I think those translators had some inside info. 😉

Edited by Zonk
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Zonk said:

The german title of the show even is "murder is her hobby", when translated back to english. I think those translators had some inside info. 😉

Is Dexter translated back as "Murder Is His Job"???

• LOL 5
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

For New Blood, it would have been a good idea to have set Dexter up in his new town working at a funeral home, instead of a sporting goods store!  

If Dexter is working in a funeral home, there will be no Dexter Morgan's Hallmark holiday movie moments like these! 😂

d5b8181e34c1bdfffed46d43b8dce51000b9b4c4

a832a25f3eeb02e9fe5d0d55d8f6ee3bbd91c83a

b69fbb2cc573af289fb7e7a99651d218d5c7d5f0

0d3379fb8d3276123ec1181a76678298884d3a6a

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

If Dexter is working in a funeral home, there will be no Dexter Morgan's Hallmark holiday movie moments like these!

"Have Yourself a Very Dexter Christmas", coming soon on the Hallmark Channel.

I'd watch it!😄

• LOL 9

Finally watched episode 1 of the show I have been waiting a decade to see (and hopefully fix the flawed and underwhelming ending of the original).  My objective review:

What it did right

Explained what Dexter has been doing the past ten years.

Established the setting.

Established main characters, like his cop girlfriend, her daughter, and the gun store owner.

Deborah is back!  Sort of.  She is the new voice in Dexter’s head, replacing his foster dad.

He got his first comeback kill

They have linked the new show to the old, tying up loose ends, bringing closure to the Rita arc, and potentially bringing Dexter full circle if they do it right.

Including his son will of course create a lot of tangled problems for Dexter retaining his alternate identity with lady cop and others.

What it didn’t do well

Dexter’s first victim was such an over-the-top douchebag the writers might has well have put a sign on him that read, PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR TABLE.

I saw what was coming with the deer the moment Dexter started approaching it.

Deborah wasn’t Deborah at all.  Did the writers not refresh themselves on old episodes?  Where was the beer drinking potty mouth?  She finally got salty at the end when she yelled at Dexter about what the fuck was he doing.  Hopefully, there will be more of that.

Dexter’s first return kill did not feel entirely like a Dexter kill to me.  Remember, he is a psychopathic serial killer.  He gets off on killing.  He only kills people who deserve it because his dad and mentor trained him  to channel his murderous energy in that direction.  But Dexter doesn’t kill bad people for justice, and there is no righteous anger to it, he kills them because they are the people his dad put on his serial killer hunting license.  They satisfy his need to kill.  It just has the positive benefit of removing some bad people from the world.  This latest kill, however, was very personal and emotional, particularly with the deer.

Overall I give this a B, with a lot of promise for a good season.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1
On 11/8/2021 at 11:15 AM, BeatrixK said:

5.) I loved the detail of the Dex VO's coming back when 'Dexter' came back.

I was trying to figure out what was missing when his VO came back and I relaxed and thought "yep - there it is."  LOL

• Like 1
On 11/9/2021 at 10:35 AM, CatfishMan said:

Plenty of good stuff to watch.

At a minimum 5 counts of manslaughter. That character was such a caricature. I guess the writers decided they needed to deliberately go over the top to justify Dexter slipping up after 10 years.

Hey. I’m open to suggestions. What shows are you finding intriguing? I’d appreciate it. 

On 11/10/2021 at 8:59 PM, Zonk said:

Wasn't that a staple of the original show? I guess Dexter just has one of those faces people want to confess deep dark secrets to.

I think I have one of those faces! Strangers on the bus, subway, planes tell me the most incredible things. Once there was a lady I sat next to in a train ride, who told me the entire story of how her son was a drug addict and was spending time in a detox facility, and all the anguish that was causing her and her family. Never met her before, have never seen her again. Whenever I remember this, I find myself hoping that family found a way to get through it and came out ok.

And that's only one of the stories I've heard. There are quite a few others I could tell, but that's neither here nor there 😆

• Love 2
On 11/9/2021 at 2:30 AM, Waldo13 said:

For the past 8 seasons, of Dexter, it was pretty much predictable. I couldn’t say that anything actually surprised me.  I welcome back Dexter for I miss, not the killing, but his conflicted life which he narrates in his thoughts. 

Even if we don’t find out, in substance episodes, how Dexter finally settled in NY after leaving the Great Northwest, how Harrison tracked him down, or why Harrison left Argentina and Hannah to find Dexter, I would be disappointed but not upset. 

Package Store instead of Liquor Store was just a slip up because Dexter was actually filmed in Massachusetts and not in NY.  

ETA:  There is an Iron Lake in the Adirondack Region of upstate NY but there is no town called Iron Lake. 

There was (and still is) a package store where I grew up in Upstate NY

On 11/25/2021 at 3:23 AM, WearyTraveler said:

I think I have one of those faces! Strangers on the bus, subway, planes tell me the most incredible things.

Me too, and often! For example, a nurse in the hospital where I was visiting someone started telling me all about her tumultuous relationship with her boyfriend.

People confided in Dexter all the time. If only they knew how little he gave a damn about anything anyone did if it didn't directly involve or impact him. I recall Angel taking him aside and telling him that he and Laguerta were having a sexual relationship.

Dexter: "Ahh...congratulations...?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Never thought I'd be watching Dexter again after the shitshow series finale but here we go.

After 10 years, Dexter's people suit is much better. The cop girlfriend definitely reminded me of Deb. Deb was my favorite character so the only thing I probably won't like about the ghost version is the loss of her larger than life personality. Because this is not Deb, it's Dexter, the things she's saying are all him so of course she'll be different.

Ugh, when he hit that annoying as hell douchebro in the face with the shovel, I'm like finally. I mean, I do watch this show to see Dexter kill people. I was waiting all ep, lol.

• Love 1
On 1/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, festivus said:

Never thought I'd be watching Dexter again after the shitshow series finale but here we go.

Same here!

Just started watching now - waited for the whole thing to build up on my PVR and finish the last show that I was watching.

Douchebro was so over the top, he was like a caricature.

I found the Harrison/Dexter reunion rather unrealistic.  I expected far more anger from Harrison and more of an emotional response from Dexter.  It just seemed so very off to me.

But it wasn't horrible, so I'll keep watching...

• Love 1
On 11/7/2021 at 1:05 PM, Pike Ludwell said:

I don't think it's known yet how Harrison located Dexter -- he couldn't have found him on his own. Hannah must be behind it and could soon make an appearance. Maybe he'll even move to Argentina by the end of the season.

Hannah has been dead for two years. I don't think she will be much help.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:44 PM, Zonk said:

Guess I forgot like 90% of her kills. I only remembered her two husbands.

My brain probably tried to make sense of the fact that Dexter would leave harrison with a serial killer.

The original plan was he was going to join them. Then Deb died and he realized that he was more toxic than Hannah, and that he should leave them be.