Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Cold Snap

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

A bit predictable in parts:

• Dexter smashes Entitled Asshole in the face and OF COURSE it’s just in his head.
  • Entitled Asshole’s friend conveniently spills details of his crimes to Dexter.
  • Dexter finally gets close to the deer and somebody shoots it.
  • And of course it’s You Know Who.
  • Dexter smashes him in the face again and you think “I will be so freaking annoyed if this was just in his head again”, but it was real this time.

Despite all that, I enjoyed having Dexter back on the screen.

Anyone else notice how much the police chief girlfriend resembled Debra? Since Dead Deb now seems to be a Harry-like representation of Dexter’s conscience, could it be he subconsciously chose someone who resembles her—much less being a police chief—as a reminder to stay on the straight and narrow?

Ref. Dexter’s sister Debra Morgan…..Michael C. Hall is from Raleigh, NC.  A well known tv anchor there is Debra Morgan……lol.  

https://www.wral.com/rs/bio/1013413/

Becca was walking with 2 high school jacket wearing dudes when Dex passed them on his way to work.

Becca could be an 18 year old high school senior, making douchebag son having sex with her extra-douchey, but not illegal.

I did a little double take at Dexter playing Dr. Doolittle with the chickens, goats, pigs, etc. He used to kill animals for fun, if they annoyed him, or - as he did in Se05 -  murder that poor raccoon as bait for Boyd Fowler. But, oh well. Maybe his new love of animals was part of his evolution into "Jim",  a small-town store clerk.

Maybe he's making amends to all the animals he killed?

I would like to see a catch-up episode devoted to enlightening fans as to what happen with key characters between the end of Season Eight (also known as DEXTER: The Final Season) and this season of Dexter: New Blood.

I think that Hannah will be cleared up in the next episode. Apart from that, I don't know that we'll get a whole episode of updates but rather have them sprinkled throughout the entire season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

A bit predictable in parts:

• Dexter smashes Entitled Asshole in the face and OF COURSE it’s just in his head.
  • Entitled Asshole’s friend conveniently spills details of his crimes to Dexter.
  • Dexter finally gets close to the deer and somebody shoots it.
  • And of course it’s You Know Who.
  • Dexter smashes him in the face again and you think “I will be so freaking annoyed if this was just in his head again”, but it was real this time.

Despite all that, I enjoyed having Dexter back on the screen.

Anyone else notice how much the police chief girlfriend resembled Debra? Since Dead Deb now seems to be a Harry-like representation of Dexter’s conscience, could it be he subconsciously chose someone who resembles her—much less being a police chief—as a reminder to stay on the straight and narrow?

YES!  I am sure that was done on purpose.

I loved Deb, I know I am in the minority but she was my favorite.

2 hours ago, preeya said:

I would like to see a catch-up episode devoted to enlightening fans as to what happen with key characters between the end of Season Eight (also known as DEXTER: The Final Season) and this season of Dexter: New Blood.

I would have liked that too.  I wanted to catch up before watching, but I really didn't want to have to watch that last season.  

• Love 3

I'm glad they went to the original music at the end, because the music they were pumping out at the beginning was seriously pissing me off.  I don't need loud-ass songs to tell me the plot.

How much does Harrison know about his father?  What did Hannah tell him?  I guess we'll find out.  Wonder if he'll try to keep the kid blissfully ignorant like he tried with Deb, or if Dexter will bring him into the family business.  Original Harrison was the cutest baby ever, but he was blonde and now he's got dark hair.  My brother was a blonde baby who went dark, so I guess it's realistic.  The kid being way older than his birthdate is not.

Anybody have any doubt that that poor perfect deer was going to get shot by the corpse of the week?  Or for that matter, that the corpse of the week was going to become corpse of the week?  And that he would have zero redeeming qualities so Dexter could kill him without guilt?  Anyone? 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, izabella said:

I did get lost with the number of times we saw Dex running through the woods with his rifle.  Did he see the white deer multiple times?  Or were those scenes all just one time, but cut up into multiple parts, and the only time we saw the whole scene from start to finish was when douchebag son was finally dispatched because he needed killin'?

I saw the same scene three times, I believe. I still don't understand it. Running and crashing through the woods is not a good way to hunt deer and it seems he never had any intention of killing it, so why the running and lifting the rifle, just to lower it? It made no sense to me. What is the significance of the white buck? Does it have some meaning? I guess I'm not highbrow enough to "get it".

I'm just hoping to never see Hannah again, not even in flashbacks.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I saw the same scene three times, I believe. I still don't understand it. Running and crashing through the woods is not a good way to hunt deer and it seems he never had any intention of killing it, so why the running and lifting the rifle, just to lower it? It made no sense to me. What is the significance of the white buck? Does it have some meaning? I guess I'm not highbrow enough to "get it".

I assumed he lifted the rifle just to get a zoomed up view of the deer through the sight (or whatever the viewfinder on a rifle is called).

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

I assumed he lifted the rifle just to get a zoomed up view of the deer through the sight (or whatever the viewfinder on a rifle is called).

When people want to observe wild animals they usually pick a spot and wait for it. Unless the deer is stone deaf (even then it would probably feel the vibrations) I would expect it to be long gone by the time a person finished galloping and thundering through the woods, puffing, panting and crashing over branches. It still makes no sense to me.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

When people want to observe wild animals they usually pick a spot and wait for it. Unless the deer is stone deaf (even then it would probably feel the vibrations) I would expect it to be long gone by the time a person finished galloping and thundering through the woods, puffing, panting and crashing over branches. It still makes no sense to me.

The first time we saw it, I thought he was being chased by someone or something.  When he stopped to aim at the deer, I was confused because, as you said, chasing a deer makes no sense.  So then I started thinking maybe the deer was a vision.  It wasn't until the douchebag son showed up that I went back to thinking it was a real deer. 

• Love 3

I hold Dexter partly responsible for the death of the cgi deer.

Deb’s presence really annoys me already and I’m deeply bummed about Harrison being in the show at all and I’m already pretty sure I can guess what’s going to happen with him.

• Love 3

I thought Dexter running through the woods and then sighting the deer was part of his everyday routine. Ghost Deb said to stick to his daily routine. I realize deer migrate and an albino one wouldn't stick around, but its death marked the return of killer Dexter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I thought the routine of chasing the deer and aiming his rifle at it but then never pulling the trigger was either Dexter testing himself daily (are you still a killer?) OR he was “edging” but instead of withholding a sexual orgasm he withholds killing which he seems to find orgasmic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Ghost-Deb getting dragged back into the water by... The Creature from the Black Lagoon? A Dementor?

I think it was meant to be the Dark Passenger.

Thinking about this episode a little more… how the heck did it happen that Matt was the only one out there besides Dexter when he shot the deer? Wasn’t he planning on hunting with a bunch of his buddies? Seems like a plot contrivance to allow Dexter to get him back to his kill room without anyone seeing. And also how convenient that he had all that plastic sheeting and duct tape handy.

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I Don't think that The deeR  was real, I think it represented an ideal of himself that Dexter was 'persuing'. He almost had reached it...jmho

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Yeah I didn't get the deer thing. I thought it was just a vision he was imagining until DoucheBro killed it. And then he used its blood to cover up the scene. So... it was a real deer the whole time? One that just stood there while he ran crashing through the woods? And let him walk up to it to pet it? WTF?

• Love 7
9 hours ago, CatfishMan said:

If I remember correctly, the only murder pinned on him was the serial killer guy that killed Deb and he got off on self-defense (they actually had video since he was in custody). Then didn't Dexter fake his death on the boat, so everyone thinks he's dead.

Yes.  I watched the finale the other day to remember what had happened.  He took Deb out on his boat with him and dumped her in the ocean, then headed into the eye of Hurricane Laura.  The next day pieces of his boat were found and he was presumed dead.  I don't think there was anyone alive to pin any of his past kills on him, so as far as Miami PD is concerned, he's just a dead ex-colleague. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Some wild deer will get very close. My brother has gotten very close to some near his house.  They’ll come to his voice. I actually have an albino deer in the woods near my house, but albino deer are more cautious than regular deer. They are very skittish.  They have to in order to survive, since they have less protection through camouflage. I think that was a real deer in the forest…..

• Love 3

Curious as to what is he "fishing" for in that ice hole, with a heavy-duty chain attached?    Is he trawling for discarded tires under the water?

As for being predictable, as soon as I saw that cop was a pretty woman instead of a man, I felt it in my bones that that this was a fake-out.  Being in a small town, anyone that stopped him would already know who he was, then when it was a hot chick, I waited for the "cop pulls over car, we think it's for a traffic stop, then we see them banging" trope.  Quel surprise.... not. 

The asshole gun buyer was obviously toast as soon as he wanted the rifle w/o the security check, and it all went down from there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, xls said:

I Don't think that The deeR  was real, I think it represented an ideal of himself that Dexter was 'persuing'. He almost had reached it...jmho

But Really Bad/ Evil /Scumbag guy shot it while Dexter was communing with it, splashing its blood on Dexter's face and then yahooed and said,  "Bagged me a white fucking buck!" It had to be real.

• Love 3
On 11/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, arachne said:

Yeah, a lot of stuff in this episode was predictable. I knew Deb was going to say "Me" about ten seconds before she did.

Dexter wasn't kidding about being rusty -- the old Dexter would never have left that blood in the snow by his house! (And you know that's going to come up again.)

One little detail made me wince: Having grown up in Connecticut, and having lived in upstate New York for some years, I know for certain that liquor stores in NYS are called exactly that. "Package store" is a strictly New England thing. 

For the past 8 seasons, of Dexter, it was pretty much predictable. I couldn’t say that anything actually surprised me.  I welcome back Dexter for I miss, not the killing, but his conflicted life which he narrates in his thoughts. 

Even if we don’t find out, in substance episodes, how Dexter finally settled in NY after leaving the Great Northwest, how Harrison tracked him down, or why Harrison left Argentina and Hannah to find Dexter, I would be disappointed but not upset. 

Package Store instead of Liquor Store was just a slip up because Dexter was actually filmed in Massachusetts and not in NY.  

ETA:  There is an Iron Lake in the Adirondack Region of upstate NY but there is no town called Iron Lake. 

Edited by Waldo13
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

When Matt's friend - Bill got high and told Dexter everything, this scene is not totally believable. How convenient… 🙄

Matt broke the Bro Code... sentenced to lethal exposition

• LOL 12
9 hours ago, patty1h said:

Earned an eyeroll from me too.

That is the impetus of Green Street Hooligans.  I'm sure it's a common trope of taking the fall for an important and connected villain.  I agree it could have been conveyed better.  That's also how Kristy MaCall (of Fairytale of New York fame) passed, but probably a complete coincidence.  I don't think they've played any Pogues on the show so far.  The first couple of songs here threw me, although Iggy should have been more obvious.  I forgot all about the "Dark Passenger" until I watched this on Sunday.

On 11/7/2021 at 2:48 PM, revbfc said:

So the police can’t find him, but his son can?

As others have mentioned, not sure any police are actively looking for him, but even if they were, Harrison has a lot of information that no one else has other than his mother. But the previews did suggest police incompetence may not be confined to Miami Metro.

One thing that did seem a bit off was the selection of this kill. While his assholery was off the charts, he hadn't actually murdered anyone. Yes, he was responsible for the 5 deaths in the boating accident (and maybe that rises to criminally negligent homicide), but he just didn't seem to make the cut as irredeemably evil as required by Harry's rules that governed Dexter's past kills. Maybe that is supposed to signal a change, and with Deb replacing Harry, the rules are out the window? Surely the "don't get caught" rule isn't being adhered to as faithfully as it had.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Well, it’s good to see that I wasn’t the only one underwhelmed. I watched it twice and adjusted to the slow rhythm better the second time through but still didn’t care. I guess being a serial killer in what amounts to witness protection and twelve step recovery is exactly as boring and predictable as one would surmise. 

PS - I was happy enough to see Deb as Dexter’s Head Six equivalent but I hated the police officer/chief girlfriend. Yes, yes, I know we have to insert Dexter into the coming serial killer investigation somehow and that cops are a huge part of what Dexter knows as people so that would be familiar and comforting to him. It would also be dangerous because Dex might inadvertently reveal his knowledge of forensics and investigative techniques. No doubt these amazing writers will hand wave that away with some “aw shucks I just got lucky with good natured common sense and sweet rolls” when Dexter inevitably helps with the investigation. But to then make all of the small town jokes about all the cops know is gardening emergencies? So that Dexters “help” with the investigation will go unquestioned? And the vomit inducing sexy traffic stop? By a ninety pound cop that even small female criminals wouldn’t respect or fear? Oooh, look say the writers; we pulled the rug out from beneath you with our clever misdirection. Gag me.

I’m hoping Yellowjackets will be at least interesting as Lord of the Flies with girls, but even that seems predictable. It’s a sex/sex role stereotypes swap guys! It’s wacky and unpredictable. No, no not really. It’s just stereotypes turned upside down. Can someone, somewhere please give us something good to watch? I got used to the golden age at the turn of the century. I guess it’s all over now. 

Edited by AuntieMame
Snark Correction
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ahpny said:

One thing that did seem a bit off was the selection of this kill. While his assholery was off the charts, he hadn't actually murdered anyone. Yes, he was responsible for the 5 deaths in the boating accident (and maybe that rises to criminally negligent homicide), but he just didn't seem to make the cut as irredeemably evil as required by Harry's rules that governed Dexter's past kills. Maybe that is supposed to signal a change, and with Deb replacing Harry, the rules are out the window? Surely the "don't get caught" rule isn't being adhered to as faithfully as it had.

Douchebag's friend told Dexter that Douchebag was playing chicken with the other boat, and the other boat swerved away.  But Douchebag then steered into that boat and hit them deliberately.  I think that counts as murder, not negligence.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, AuntieMame said:

Can someone, somewhere please give us something good to watch?

Plenty of good stuff to watch.

19 minutes ago, izabella said:

Douchebag's friend told Dexter that Douchebag was playing chicken with the other boat, and the other boat swerved away.  But Douchebag then steered into that boat and hit them deliberately.  I think that counts as murder, not negligence.

At a minimum 5 counts of manslaughter. That character was such a caricature. I guess the writers decided they needed to deliberately go over the top to justify Dexter slipping up after 10 years.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AuntieMame said:

It would also be dangerous because Dex might inadvertently reveal his knowledge of forensics and investigative techniques.

Dexter: I saw something like this on Bones

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, CatfishMan said:

At a minimum 5 counts of manslaughter. That character was such a caricature. I guess the writers decided they needed to deliberately go over the top to justify Dexter slipping up after 10 years.

New York State has a wide range of homicide charges, several of which would seem to apply to this boating "accident."

See https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/P3THA125. But Murder in the first degree seems an overreach.

Perhaps the most apt charge might be § 125.14 Aggravated vehicular homicide. A motor boat is a "motor vehicle" under this and other NY State laws, btw.

As awful as this "accident" was, it just seems somewhat beneath the evil of Dexter's many prior kills. There's no evidence that this errant boater actually wanted anyone killed. As far as we know, he just wanted to show himself to be tough and intimidating (however stupid and irresponsible that was). Yes the daddy-backed cover up make it all worse, but again, this isn't quite in the same league as Dexter's previous kills, at least from my perspective and fading memories of the original series.

The more compelling reason Dexter seems to have reverted was the newly purchased, ridiculously overpowered, gun, and it's almost inevitable misuse (including actual misuse in killing "Dexter's" buck, and almost killing Dexter). Though unsaid, perhaps Dexter's rationale or justification is avoidance of some future gun misuse resulting in another 5 people killed or worse.

Edited by ahpny
  • Love 2

I loved it, party of one.

Dexter has always been one of my FAVORITE television characters of all time so this was like revisiting an old friend after far too long apart. 

It was a bit jarring to see Dex be this social butterfly, man about town considering he was so painfully socially awkward in the original but 10 years is a REALLY long time. And couple that with the fact that he hasn't been killing and trying to deceive people constantly to the extent he was in Miami. 

I did think the Harrison introduction was a bit rushed and wish they had waited until the 2nd episode, at least, to have them meet face to face. I have no interest in Hannah or what she has been up to and would be completely fine with a simple explanation for how Harrison tracked him down. Maybe Hannah had some photos of him and the kid did some type of "reverse image search" or something and he popped up on one of the yokels' social media pages. 🤷‍♀️

I hated that rich douche with every fiber of my being and was actually saying "Kill him!" our loud to my tv when Dexter was hesitating. I'll be curious to see how he behaves after having "scratched that itch" and if elements of his old personality begin to emerge. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, ahpny said:

New York State has a wide range of homicide charges, several of which would seem to apply to this boating "accident."

See https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/P3THA125. But Murder in the first degree seems an overreach.

Perhaps the most apt charge might be § 125.14 Aggravated vehicular homicide. A motor boat is a "motor vehicle" under this and other NY State laws, btw.

5 counts of Murder 2... Reckless endangerment of human life. Slam dunk for McCoy

ETA: All the NY laws are irrelevant because this happened in OHIO!!!

Edited by paigow
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, ahpny said:

As awful as this "accident" was, it just seems somewhat beneath the evil of Dexter's many prior kills.

Is it though? Even putting aside the innocents that were collateral damage or just him covering his tracks, I seem to remember there were people he outright killed that weren't even murderers, but just really bad people or criminals.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, anoninrva said:

I forgot all about the "Dark Passenger" until I watched this on Sunday.

Dexter did shed the "Dark Passenger" - not for Deb, or Rita, or his child, or Lumen - but because Hannah said, "So... it's just, like, a feeling"? Dexter has an epiphany that no, there's no Dark Passenger and no - he didn't have to kill anyone. He just enjoys it, and dropped the code when he bumped off Hannah's pappy. He devolved into killing people merely for being annoying assholes.

However, it was one thing to cover up murders in a city like Miami with the Atlantic ocean as a dumping ground, but how will he hide that fact that people are disappearing in the merry little town of Whoville, where someone putting out his recycling before 7pm or vandalizing rose bushes probably makes the front-page news?

2 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

Can someone, somewhere please give us something good to watch? I got used to the golden age at the turn of the century.

Amen. Truly the Golden Age.

20 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I'll join you in the minority. Another favorite was Mathews and his magnificent snark towards Maria, who I also came to like very much.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

21 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I'll join you in the minority.

I did, too.  "Holy Mary, Mother of Fuck" is a line I've appropriated far, far too often...

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

It was a bit jarring to see Dex be this social butterfly, man about town considering he was so painfully socially awkward in the original but 10 years is a REALLY long time. And couple that with the fact that he hasn't been killing and trying to deceive people constantly to the extent he was in Miami. 

I was coming here to comment on this.   Dexter seemed to be much more comfortable fitting in here than he ever did in the original series.   I guess the explanation is that he's had 10 additional years of practice.  He really didn't seem out of his element at all and that was always one his main characteristics on the original. 

I did miss the voice over narration.  

I think I liked it more than most who've commented.  It didn't reinvent the wheel, but it was kind of like putting on an old comfortable shoe you haven't worn in awhile.  I'm in for the duration.   I know they are billing it as a limited series, but is there any doubt that if ratings are good, they will continue past the one season. 

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Dexter seemed to be much more comfortable fitting in here than he ever did in the original series.

Do you think so? I still found his affect to be "off" as though he's still not sure how regular people react in certain situations that are unfamiliar to him.  I think he maybe confident that he's acting appropriately with the townsfolk he's known for awhile, but not when something unexpected happens, as in when big-mouthed, drunken scumbag heckles him in the bar.

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

"Holy Mary, Mother of Fuck" is a line I've appropriated far, far too often...

"Fuck me in both ears" is one of my faves.

debra51008.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Dexter seemed to be much more comfortable fitting in here than he ever did in the original series.   I guess the explanation is that he's had 10 additional years of practice.  He really didn't seem out of his element at all and that was always one his main characteristics on the original.

Dex regularly brought donuts to the crime lab- so pumping his new boss full of sugar maintains the "routine" - much like breakfast ham with "bloody" hot sauce from the original opening credits

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, paigow said:

Dex regularly brought donuts to the crime lab- so pumping his new boss full of sugar maintains the "routine" - much like breakfast ham with "bloody" hot sauce from the original opening credits

Sure, there were still elements of the "old" Dexter there.   I guess I was thinking more in terms of his interactions with people.  He seemed more at ease with the new girlfriend than he ever did w/ Rita (IMO, mileage of course, may vary).  And I can't imagine "old" Dexter going thru with the role play of getting stopped by the cop and it leading to sex in the back of the patrol car.  I also thought he seemed more relaxed with the town folk than he ever did with his old coworkers.  Even with the ones he considered friends, like Angel, there always seemed to be a bit of distance between them.   That distance didn't seem present with the shop owner, or the preacher, or the high school kids, or the bartender.   The old Dexter seemed very focused on learning how to act normally as he went along.  This version of Dexter seems to have mastered it (for the most part, at least.)   

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, paigow said:

I was really curious why he was putting ketchup on his pork while he was cooking it.

I guess it beats the blood orange scene, though.

• LOL 1

And I can't imagine "old" Dexter going thru with the role play of getting stopped by the cop and it leading to sex in the back of the patrol car.  I also thought he seemed more relaxed with the town folk than he ever did with his old coworkers.  Even with the ones he considered friends, like Angel, there always seemed to be a bit of distance between them.   That distance didn't seem present with the shop owner, or the preacher, or the high school kids, or the bartender.   The old Dexter seemed very focused on learning how to act normally as he went along.

Miami Dexter had a lot of dead bodies to hide. New York Dexter has something of a clean slate - sure he's the same guy who killed all those people but since everyone thinks Dexter is dead, I can see him relaxing a little. I also thought he was still a bit socially awkward but has had more years of practice blending in so it's maybe a little easier for him?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, anoninrva said:

I was really curious why he was putting ketchup on his pork while he was cooking it.

I guess it beats the blood orange scene, though.

The strangest part of the old credits is how fast his stubble grows back... cuts himself shaving... walks out of the apartment like it never happened...

• Love 2
19 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

However, it was one thing to cover up murders in a city like Miami with the Atlantic ocean as a dumping ground, but how will he hide that fact that people are disappearing in the merry little town of Whoville, where someone putting out his recycling before 7pm or vandalizing rose bushes probably makes the front-page news?

My thoughts exactly. Even in the ocean, Dexter had to find a deeper spot to dump his body parts. In one episode, he found a drop-off next to a shelf that was more suited to his purposes. Now, with his "discards" in a comparatively shallow lake, there's a much better chance of them resurfacing or being hooked by someone. If he's going to keep killing, he better find a more permanent solution.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, paigow said:

The strangest part of the old credits is how fast his stubble grows back... cuts himself shaving... walks out of the apartment like it never happened...

He actually only shaved his neck, which is the decent thing to do. Along with everything else he might be, at least "Neckbeard Dexter" isn't one of them!

34 minutes ago, NoReally said:

Now, with his "discards" in a comparatively shallow lake, there's a much better chance of them resurfacing or being hooked by someone. If he's going to keep killing, he better find a more permanent solution.

Bodies do seem to have a way of being found even if only the bones, as Dexter's playmates eventually were even in the ocean. He better start Googling "How to make a body disappear permanently".

• LOL 2