Type keyword(s) to search

TV Tropes: Love 'em or Loathe 'em

• Start Topic

On 6/27/2022 at 11:26 PM, scarynikki12 said:

This is me with Frankenstein. They completely miss the point of the book and just focus on the scary monster who is afraid of fire. Some have gone so far as to present Victor as entirely sympathetic rather than the actual villain of the story. And the book isn't super long and therefore needs to be cut in order to adequately adapt. It's a short read and, while still open for many interpretations, has straightforward story beats. They make it harder than it needs to be.

The play quote reminds me that many of the And Then There Were None retellings are also based on the play rather than the book. Has there ever been a screen adaptation that actually made it all the way to the ending? I haven't found one that did though there are a number that have changed it, I assume, to make it more palatable for the audience. That's another one where every adaptation should be as faithful to the original story as possible yet never is.

BBC did a mini-series with Aidan Turner that had the original ending.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3581932/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_10

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Even in serious shows, using fat people for humor and constantly letting others make negative comments about them because of their size.  Also, if someone is going to need to shit or fart, it will be someone fat.  And if the fat person does use the bathroom everyone will act like it's the worst shit ever taken.  Somehow thin folks seem to be okay holding it in forever.  

Just finished watching All of Us Are Dead, which I enjoyed, but they fell back on these tropes so much. 

• Love 21
(edited)
19 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Even in serious shows, using fat people for humor and constantly letting others make negative comments about them because of their size.  Also, if someone is going to need to shit or fart, it will be someone fat.  And if the fat person does use the bathroom everyone will act like it's the worst shit ever taken.  Somehow thin folks seem to be okay holding it in forever.  

Male characters in general also seem to be able to get away with making references to their bowel movements. You're also more likely to see male characters fart and belch and the like than female characters, unless someone's making a joke about a drunk woman that is puking in the toilet.

It's as if writers forget that Margot Robbie also has to use the toilet...and she might have to sit there for sometime while fouling up the bathroom air.

I did find this nugget that suggests that women are more likely to complain about constipation and smelly excretions than men are. Whether or not it's because of physiology (since men generally have more muscles than women, especially in the gastrointestinal tract) or because women are simply more likely to seek medical care in general is an open question. One thing is for certain though- because women have a different set of organs in their lower torso then men do (I shouldn't have to explain what these are), women's colons are longer and narrower than men's, and this difference is noticeable in a colonoscopy.

Meaning, supposedly, if you're ever confused about someone's biological sex...a colonoscopy will reveal it for you.

...and so ends "The Post About A Topic You Didn't Want To Know More About But Now You Do."

Or something like that. I gotta work on the abbreviation, but you know what I mean.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Male characters in general also seem to be able to get away with making references to their bowel movements. You're also more likely to see male characters fart and belch and the like than female characters, unless someone's making a joke about a drunk woman that is puking in the toilet.

It's as if writers forget that Margot Robbie also has to use the toilet...and she might have to sit there for sometime while fouling up the bathroom air.

I did find this nugget that suggests that women are more likely to complain about constipation and smelly excretions than men are. Whether or not it's because of physiology (since men generally have more muscles than women, especially in the gastrointestinal tract) or because women are simply more likely to seek medical care in general is an open question. One thing is for certain though- because women have a different set of organs in their lower torso then men do (I shouldn't have to explain what these are), women's colons are longer and narrower than men's, and this difference is noticeable in a colonoscopy.

Meaning, supposedly, if you're ever confused about someone's biological gender...a colonoscopy will reveal it for you.

...and so ends "The Post About A Topic You Didn't Want To Know More About But Now You Do."

Or something like that. I gotta work on the abbreviation, but you know what I mean.

Biological sex, not gender. Gender is a social construct. You probably didn’t want to know this information, either. 🙂

Edited by Cinnabon
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, scarynikki12 said:

This is me with Frankenstein. They completely miss the point of the book and just focus on the scary monster who is afraid of fire. Some have gone so far as to present Victor as entirely sympathetic rather than the actual villain of the story. And the book isn't super long and therefore needs to be cut in order to adequately adapt. It's a short read and, while still open for many interpretations, has straightforward story beats. They make it harder than it needs to be.

Ironically, National Theatre Live did a play of Frankenstein that was fantastic and hewed close to the spirit of the novel. Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch shared the roles of Vincent and the Creature, and it was incredibly well done. Cumberbatch was the better creature and Miller the better Vincent, imho, because I managed to see both. 

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Ironically, National Theatre Live did a play of Frankenstein that was fantastic and hewed close to the spirit of the novel. Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch shared the roles of Vincent and the Creature, and it was incredibly well done. Cumberbatch was the better creature and Miller the better Vincent, imho, because I managed to see both. 

Totally agree on the play and am jealous you saw both versions. Fathom does a yearly showing before Halloween and the year I saw it just had Cucumbers as Creature and Miller as Victor. I want to see the switch for comparison.

But yes that play is probably the best straight adaptation out there. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Biological sex, not gender. Gender is a social construct. You probably didn’t want to know this information, either. 🙂

I just used the wrong term...I'm sorry. I posted that right before heading to bed for the night, so you'll have to excuse my foggy brain.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

True. I got to see both, not live, but our local IMAX did screenings of both versions. I do think it was a great adaptation and agree Cumby was better creature and Miller better Doctor. 

20 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

That shit needs to stop! As a thin woman I can assure you that we shit and fart with the best of them! lol Honestly, the worst thing about going back to the office (after 2+ years working home) is that I can't just let one rip any time I feel the need. I have to have "decorum" and "restraint" now. 

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 10
10 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Meaning, supposedly, if you're ever confused about someone's biological sex...a colonoscopy will reveal it for you.

I just wonder how long it will take before some "zany" comedy uses this in an episode..."Bob is really attracted to Ali but he can't tell if Ali is a man or a woman...until he obtains Ali's colonoscopy result which puts his mind at ease."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Ugly Bridesmaid's Dress.

This trope was more prevalent when I was young, I thankfully don't see it as often nowadays, and I hope it doesn't make a comeback. It's lazy, lame, and it doesn't even make sense, considering the bride in question is usually well-dressed. That she would pick out such awful dresses for her friends always makes her look either malicious, stupid, or both. 

I realize bridesmaid's dresses aren't exactly the most fashionable things, but the majority I've seen in real life are actually quite nice. I was a bridesmaid at my sister's wedding, and the dresses she picked were extremely flattering and reflected her taste perfectly. She didn't make us all look like '80s prom rejects!

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

The Ugly Bridesmaid's Dress.

This trope was more prevalent when I was young, I thankfully don't see it as often nowadays, and I hope it doesn't make a comeback. It's lazy, lame, and it doesn't even make sense, considering the bride in question is usually well-dressed. That she would pick out such awful dresses for her friends always makes her look either malicious, stupid, or both. 

I realize bridesmaid's dresses aren't exactly the most fashionable things, but the majority I've seen in real life are actually quite nice. I was a bridesmaid at my sister's wedding, and the dresses she picked were extremely flattering and reflected her taste perfectly. She didn't make us all look like '80s prom rejects!

My wife just let her bridesmaids pick their own dresses to avoid that whole trouble of people and the bridesmaids complaining about them. I think she told them a color.  

It is a tired trope.  

• Love 8

I think a lot of times, real-life "ugly" bridesmaids dresses are just not the bridesmaid's taste, and insult is added to injury when the bride says "You'll be able to wear it again!" when the bridesmaid never would, rather than the tacky stuff you see on TV.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I think a lot of times, real-life "ugly" bridesmaids dresses are just not the bridesmaid's taste, and insult is added to injury when the bride says "You'll be able to wear it again!" when the bridesmaid never would, rather than the tacky stuff you see on TV.

The "you will be able to wear it again" is the biggest lie when it comes to the vast majority of bridesmaid dresses.  If you are buying one from a bridal shop, you are only wearing it once.  The dresses there are overpriced rayon or polyester cut into styles that only work in one setting.  They are too formal for everyday wear and yet look cheap at formal events when worn next to actual formalwear.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

To be fair, I've only ever heard "you'll wear it again" when the dresses are regular dresses that are being used as bridesmaid's dresses. But like the gowns you get at a bridal shop? Yeah, I don't find myself at a lot of galas, so I won't be wearing that again.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They should have standard designs that you can rent, like the tuxedo. 

They should, but it's not really feasble.  The problem lies in no one is going to spend $100 to rent the dresses as they are currently made.  Therefore, the bridal stores would have to sink a lot of money into better quality dresses.  Those better quality dresses are going to be made of fabrics like silk that are more expensive to clean.  There's also the fact that a dress is one solid item versus a tux where the shirt, pants, etc. can all be reused.  If someone spills red wine on a white dress shirt, the tuxedo rental places can easily discard it.  Not the same with a silk dress.  And then, how do you account for varying heights within sizes when it comes to floor length gowns?  Do you add buttons to the skirt so different women can adjust the hem?  If you do, how does that affect the cost of cleaning said dresses?  If a company did rent bridesmaid dresses, they would have to carry multiple skirt lengths in each and every size in all available colors.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was thinking just having a set of N basic designs in all the usual women's sizes and you pick a length, then they just let out the hem like in men's pants. The rental fee readily includes a cleaning deposit or something higher if it's destroyed. Use low cost or even recyclable materials. 

I mean, in all honesty, who cares what they wear to a wedding? The whole thing is largely a waste. Literally no women I've spoken to have anything good to say about having to buy a bridesmaids dress that they wore only 3 hours. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Literally no women I've spoken to have anything good to say about having to buy a bridesmaids dress that they wore only 3 hours. 

And to follow the trope, had the dress end up in a ball on the floor while hooking up with a randy groomsman.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The "you will be able to wear it again" is the biggest lie when it comes to the vast majority of bridesmaid dresses.  If you are buying one from a bridal shop, you are only wearing it once.  The dresses there are overpriced rayon or polyester cut into styles that only work in one setting.  They are too formal for everyday wear and yet look cheap at formal events when worn next to actual formalwear.  

I made sure to pick gowns that not only complimented my dress, but that my bridesmaids liked. They all did wear them again, too.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

And to follow the trope, had the dress end up in a ball on the floor while hooking up with a randy groomsman.

That trope always cracks me up.  I've been a bridesmaid and the last thing I wanted to do over the whole wedding weekend was to hook up with a random guy.  But, TV bridesmaids get paid hair and makeup people, and they don't have to help the bride with whatever last minute task that needs to be taken care of.  They just have to show up for the pictures, ceremony and reception.  There's no finishing up centerpieces the day before or wrangling gifts from the venue back to another location or two or literally cleaning up the venue once the reception was finished.  

3 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I made sure to pick gowns that not only complimented my dress, but that my bridesmaids liked. They all did wear them again, too.

But were they purchased at David's Bridal or another bridal shop?  I am talking about dresses designed and sold as bridesmaids dresses and not dresses that can do double duty.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That trope always cracks me up.  I've been a bridesmaid and the last thing I wanted to do over the whole wedding weekend was to hook up with a random guy.  But, TV bridesmaids get paid hair and makeup people, and they don't have to help the bride with whatever last minute task that needs to be taken care of.  They just have to show up for the pictures, ceremony and reception.  There's no finishing up centerpieces the day before or wrangling gifts from the venue back to another location or two or literally cleaning up the venue once the reception was finished.  

But were they purchased at David's Bridal or another bridal shop?  I am talking about dresses designed and sold as bridesmaids dresses and not dresses that can do double duty.

I honestly don't remember.  I saw them in first in a bridal magazine, but don't remember what store they were from.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

There was an episode of "Frasier" that touched on this whole theme. Roz was stuck wearing an ugly bridesmaid dress to a wedding, and she was ranting to Frasier about it. Bulldog comes in, sees the dress, and starts going on about how easy it is to hook up with a bridesmaid at a wedding because the uglier their dress, the quicker they are to get out of it :p.  

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My wife just let her bridesmaids pick their own dresses to avoid that whole trouble of people and the bridesmaids complaining about them. I think she told them a color.  

This is how I want to handle that part of things if I ever get married. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I said this a long time ago, but I need to repeat it because I'm so sick of it, it almost ruins my enjoyment of whatever show I'm watching:

Character A assumes something about Character B and gets pissed, but doesn't ask for an explanation.  In return, Character B, gets pissed at Character A, but doesn't even try to explain. 

I know tension is important to move the show along, but I feel like the writers could be a bit more original.

• Applause 1
  • Love 11

Yeah, that trope is what in romancelandia is call the 'The Grand Mis' (short for grand misunderstanding).  it is a stupid conflict because one simple conversation would clear everything up.  It doesn't work especially if that is what you are hanging your entire plot on.

• Love 10
On 7/20/2022 at 12:12 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

The "you will be able to wear it again" is the biggest lie when it comes to the vast majority of bridesmaid dresses.  If you are buying one from a bridal shop, you are only wearing it once.

Oof.  I felt this to my soul.  At one point in the late 90s I was a bridesmaid in So. Many. Weddings.  I can tell you the mother of the bride in every single one of them broke out that line.  Sigh.

It only ever happened once and that is because our bridesmaids dresses were classic LBDs.  The entire wedding was just classy as fuck.  It was an all black and white wedding.  Took place on a Friday evening.  The bride came out to a jazz quartet playing 'Ribbon in the Sky.'.  Yeah... that was the only time I ever wore a bridesmaid dress again.  All the rest were just a rainbow of iridescent fabric forever hanging in the back of my closet that cost me a bundle of money.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I said this a long time ago, but I need to repeat it because I'm so sick of it, it almost ruins my enjoyment of whatever show I'm watching:

Character A assumes something about Character B and gets pissed, but doesn't ask for an explanation.  In return, Character B, gets pissed at Character A, but doesn't even try to explain. 

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah, that trope is what in romancelandia is call the 'The Grand Mis' (short for grand misunderstanding).  it is a stupid conflict because one simple conversation would clear everything up.  It doesn't work especially if that is what you are hanging your entire plot on.

A category of this is when the ex-partner/lover/spouse of Character B shows up out of the blue. Character B starts acting squirrely and won't explain to Character A what's going on. It's never anything relationship-ending but there's at least one episode's worth of sneaking around, people irrationally blowing up at each other and lies being told before the truth comes out.

I start fast-forwarding through any mid-episode scene where A/B are just glaring at each other, not talking, because life's too short to watch that shit if I don't have to,

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Or like when someone gives someone else an uninvited kiss, and they don't tell their partner about it and it becomes a big thing between them. I mean, that person just assaulted you. If your partner is mad at you about it, then you need to break up with them anyway.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

A category of this is when the ex-partner/lover/spouse of Character B shows up out of the blue. Character B starts acting squirrely and won't explain to Character A what's going on. It's never anything relationship-ending but there's at least one episode's worth of sneaking around, people irrationally blowing up at each other and lies being told before the truth comes out.

I start fast-forwarding through any mid-episode scene where A/B are just glaring at each other, not talking, because life's too short to watch that shit if I don't have to,

Or when character A sees their love interest with an unknown character of the opposite sex (or same if it's gay/bi people), hugging or (gasp!) kissing on the cheek, immediately gets insecure and suspects they are involved, only for it to be later revealed that it's character B's never before seen sibling, cousin or best friend who is married to someone else, no romantic prospect possible.

• Love 4

The older I get the less patience I have for romantic tension based on misunderstandings. It's lazy. 

1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Or when character A sees their love interest with an unknown character of the opposite sex (or same if it's gay/bi people), hugging or (gasp!) kissing on the cheek, immediately gets insecure and suspects they are involved, only for it to be later revealed that it's character B's never before seen sibling, cousin or best friend who is married to someone else, no romantic prospect possible.

The worst is when A, after seeing B and their cousin sitting alone together at a restaurant and assuming it is a date and B is cheating, A then goes and does the same thing as some form of "just desserts" only to THEN find out that B's dinner was just an innocent family reunion. 

Honestly, I'd tell B to run for the hills because A doesn't trust you and has no communication skills at all. 

Not romantic but on the similar "if they had just said something this all would have gone away" I recently saw an ep of 227 where Mary had to get the locks changed because her daughter lost her key. For some reason Mary didn't bother telling Her husband Lester about the lock change, didn't have a key made for him, and the door ended up being locked when he got home. So naturally he thought she'd locked him out. "Hilarity (term used lightly, it wasn't a very funny ep) ensues. 

What really annoyed me was that Mary asked why Lester was mad at her (he spent the night on a neighbor's couch) and he said "if you don't know, I'm not going to tell you". WTF Lester? I usually like him but that sentence made me want to punch him in the face. That is the STUPIDEST thing You can say to a person. 

I suppose, if he had said, "I came home and found you had locked me out" they'd have to come up with another plot for the episode, but still. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

What really annoyed me was that Mary asked why Lester was mad at her (he spent the night on a neighbor's couch) and he said "if you don't know, I'm not going to tell you". WTF Lester? I usually like him but that sentence made me want to punch him in the face. That is the STUPIDEST thing You can say to a person. 

But it is a nice inversion, since the trope is it's women who say that exact phrase to men.

I'd also wager that it was a call-back to her saying it to him.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Said truth usually being "Oh I was making arrangements for something super special for your birthday/our anniversary/Christmas and I wanted it to be a surprise, but now I have to tell you to save our relationship."   Like YOU KNOW what big life events/holidays are coming up.   If someone is acting squirrelly around this time -- presume its related to them doing something nice for you, not cheating on you (unless you are in a relationship with Adam levine).

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

For a change of pace; a trope I love:

Person Who Always The Thing can't do The Thing, so Person Who Never Does The Thing has to do The Thing to save the day/the first Person.

Nice in general, but also really good in a romance context.

Edited by Trini
spelling, d'oh!
  • Love 3

I probably mentioned this before but this mostly applies to Sci-fi and fantasy shows. But I love the scenes where the characters are shown doing something "normal". Like eating in the mess hall or talking about a movie. It is a nice contrast between the rest of the episode which is the action, drama or genre stuff. These scenes are usually the bookends of the episode.

example: Stargate Atlantis: episode starts with team eating lunch and then ends with team eating lunch but Woosey joins them this time. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 9
On 10/8/2022 at 6:57 PM, blueray said:

I probably mentioned this before but this mostly applies to Sci-fi and fantasy shows. But I love the scenes where the characters are shown doing something "normal". Like eating in the mess hall or talking about a movie. It is a nice contrast between the rest of the episode which is the action, drama or genre stuff. These scenes are usually the bookends of the episode.

example: Stargate Atlantis: episode starts with team eating lunch and then ends with team eating lunch but Woosey joins them this time. 

I love that, especially in a "team" show. Buffy was good with those.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

The trope about every hotel room in Paris has a view of the Eiffel Tower? Lies! All lies!

Not just hotel rooms. Apparently every cheap, unheated rooftop flat that unemployed, dirt poor artists rent has a view of the Eiffel Tower as well.

Either Paris is about four blocks big, the Eiffel Tower is thousands of feet high, or television (and movies) have been lying to me my whole life!

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The teacher always writes their name on the board while saying their name. 

On my first day of teaching, I was told my handwriting on the board was completely illegible. 😂 For the next two years, I never wrote on the board again. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
On 10/8/2022 at 2:39 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

The Orville had some good scenes like that. So did Babylon 5. 

I love The Orville; never expected to since I don’t watch sci fi as a rule. But I saw a promo that looked interesting so I decided to check it out starting from S1. I’m on S2 now and really enjoying it. I started watching it because Scott Grimes is part of the cast and his character in ER became one of my favorites, so I was curious what he was up to these days. He’s basically Archie Morris in space, IMO. 😂

ER had some good scenes too with camaraderie in between all the action and drama. At least in the early part of the series they did. Some of the best scenes were things like Carol’s canceled wedding in the first season, the department banquet with bad food and a worse one-man band but everyone still did a Conga, some random bits with the supporting cast nurses (Conni’s surprise baby shower, Lydia getting married in the waiting room), and so many more. I missed it in the second half of the series when the characters seemed like they could barely stand working together. The later part of that show would depress a laughing hyena. 

Swords making a shing! sound when you draw them out of the scabbard. No. Real scabbards were generally hardened leather. If you have a pair of leather shoes or a jacket, pull a knife across. With the blunt side, of course. That's the kind of sound they really made. Though some were made from wood and lined with cloth.

You don't want your sword to go blunt by drawing the blade across steel, and if drawing it in sneaky circumstances you don't want to alert the enemy. Furthermore, in many times and places metal was valuable! You don't want to waste money. Finally, it can add additional weight you need to carry. No, leather or wood is the go.

Thing is, just when sound came to movies, various military units still had swords for ceremonial purposes. Their scabbards had a steel collar, and the sword made a shing! sound when drawn. At this point, if a cinematic sword didn't make a shing! sound, people would think there was something wrong.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2

I love super observant characters who help solve crimes. Sherlock Holmes, Patrick James (The Mentalist), Jack Reacher.  

Are there other shows with characters like this? Maybe one or two with a female character  that is written this way?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I love super observant characters who help solve crimes. Sherlock Holmes, Patrick James (The Mentalist), Jack Reacher.  

Are there other shows with characters like this? Maybe one or two with a female character  that is written this way?

Monk

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Detective Goren and to a lessor extent Nichols on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2