Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
galax-arena

TV Tropes: Love 'em or Loathe 'em

10 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Or if it's Walter White, he becomes a drug empire. 

Right......I was thinking of Breaking Bad with that trope but they at least do an interesting take on it that I have not seen from other shows.  They take the guy who was cut out of it and got screwed over (at least in his mind) and focus on him and how he plots to retake control of the life he has lost.  Not just the business, the business is really a metaphor of his lost potential, power, future in that show. 

Typically its the simple Rich guy feels bad and tries to make it up to the poor guy who lost out

Modern Family as well has this trope, but again, a different angle where Jay splits off from his old partner and they become enemies and nemesises (is that right?  Nemesi?  Plural of nemesis)  to one another. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

nemesises (is that right?  Nemesi?  Plural of nemesis)  to one another. 

22 hours ago, janie jones said:

nemeses

I have a degree in English, but the only reason I can remember that one is because of Mystery Men. 😉 

• Like 3

I can't stand that scenario of "Person is doing/about to do/has done something lousy, then sees themself in the mirror and feels sickened and ashamed by their actions." And add on a disgusted shake of the head to top it off.

It started out okay, but then it seemed like every show was trotting this one out.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 2:09 AM, Camille said:

I can't stand that scenario of "Person is doing/about to do/has done something lousy, then sees themself in the mirror and feels sickened and ashamed by their actions." And add on a disgusted shake of the head to top it off.

Back in the day they would have THROWN SOMETHING INTO THE MIRROR and SMASHED it.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 5

22 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Back in the day they would have THROWN SOMETHING INTO THE MIRROR and SMASHED it.

Or punched the mirror, breaking it and cutting their hand in the process.

• Like 5

I remember when Will Horton on Days of Our Lives saw himself in the mirror and spit at his reflection. 

• Like 3

I just watched the Cardassian Damar throw the sticky Kanar (some popular alcoholic drink on Cardassia) against the mirror in Start Trek DS-9. One or two episodes later, he gets off his ass and rebels. And also becomes a more interesting character in the process.

The mirror helps to find your better self, at least on TV.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

On 5/31/2020 at 10:51 AM, Luckylyn said:

I remember when Will Horton on Days of Our Lives saw himself in the mirror and spit at his reflection. 

Was that Chandler Will Horton or Elfin face Will Horton? Anyway, speaking of mirrors, I'm always terrified of looking into my rearview mirror when I'm driving down a road at night because I'm afraid I'm going to see a ghostly figure or a seyisl liwr hiding in my backseat.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Was that Chandler Will Horton or Elfin face Will Horton? Anyway, speaking of mirrors, I'm always terrified of looking into my rearview mirror when I'm driving down a road at night because I'm afraid I'm going to see a ghostly figure or a seyisl liwr hiding in my backseat.

It was Chandler before Will came out.

'I don't WANT the MONEY!' Because no one in real life ever not just took the money.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Every time I go into an elevator I look up hoping JUST ONCE to see a hatch and every time I'm disappointed!

• Like 4
  • Laugh 7