Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E06: Dame Judi Dench, Jamie Dornan, Salma Hayek, Tinie Tempah, Jesy Nelson

• Start Topic

I really liked this one. Always love when Salma is on. They guests seemed to vibe well. Though I did find it odd that the zoom thing wasn’t live-maybe they were trying to avoid tech issues as has happened with other guests, or maybe it was the time difference. Still liked it. 

• Love 1

I actually noticed this in a previous episode, but the early covid-spaced episodes had Graham in the middle, and the guests flanking him.  At some point (maybe the beginning of this season), they put him on our left and the guests are all in a line, similar to the how it would be if they were using the couch.  I think this configuration works better.  Maybe because Graham's always facing the same way, toward everybody.

All in all, the show seems to be hitting its stride under the constraints it has.  Judi Dench always makes me nervous because she seems like she's out of it, or maybe not paying attention.  But neither is the case, since she's working all the time and therefore obviously has a much better memory than I do, and her blurting out, "I have a parrot" (which about flattened Graham) shows she is definitely paying attention.

Everyone was charming and witty.  Great show. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, A.Ham said:

Though I did find it odd that the zoom thing wasn’t live-maybe they were trying to avoid tech issues as has happened with other guests, or maybe it was the time difference.

Obama, especially, probably has a pretty limited window for stuff like this, so they have to do it at his convenience more than Graham's. It did give Graham a nice little joke at Jamie Dornan's expense. He always seems like such a good egg, telling really embarrassing stories about himself in the most cheerful way. 

17 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

her blurting out, "I have a parrot" (which about flattened Graham)

That was so funny. "Flattened" is an excellent way to describe Graham. 

It cracked me up how Graham kept saying "Dame Judi Dench is right here" every time Jesy Nelson swore, when you just know Dame Judi could probably outdo them all, hee.

• Love 7

I always enjoy Dame Judi Dench on this show. Graham manages to be both deferential and familiar and she seems to have a good time and relax with him. I also liked Selma's absolute joy when Dame Judi mentioned the parrot. I often wonder about the parts that don't make the broadcast and perhaps that connected in some way to a part we didn't see? And then Graham's hurt tone that *he* didn't know about the parrot. All in all a very fun episode.

• Love 4
On 11/6/2021 at 6:41 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I actually noticed this in a previous episode, but the early covid-spaced episodes had Graham in the middle, and the guests flanking him. 

Jonathon Ross is doing that same exact configuration, he's always moving his body about guest-to-guest!

On 11/7/2021 at 10:56 AM, dubbel zout said:

Obama, especially, probably has a pretty limited window for stuff like this, so they have to do it at his convenience more than Graham's.

Limited window and logistics, Obama has to travel to a studio with Secret Service who has to sweep the studio etc.  All Graham has to do is bring his blue cards and wine glass!

10 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Limited window and logistics, Obama has to travel to a studio with Secret Service who has to sweep the studio etc. 

So were he and Springsteen in front of a green screen, and they chose a kitchen for a background?  It was way more convincing than other green screens I've seen.

It was a nice mix. Neither Dame Judi nor Jamie Dornan are big, loud personalities, but you see why they've become favorite returning guests on the show. And Salma Hayek is always delightful when she starts telling stories.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4