Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E06: False Start

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

I can’t believe they aired this episode after Alec Baldwin killed that woman. Wow. And the guilty party is someone handling a gun who doesn’t understand how guns work. 

I liked everyone this episode and thought the story was okay. Just maybe shouldn’t have been aired so soon after the “Rust” shooting. 

• Love 3

Yeah.  This was a little too unintentionally (I presume) "ripped from the headlines" but there was no way the writers knew the Rust shooting was going to happen.  I was cringing the whole time, waiting for Kasie or McGee to make a Jon Erik Hexum reference, but it didn't happen.  Thankfully.

Is Gary Cole doing a gravelly Gibbs voice on purpose, or does he just naturally sound like Mark Harmon?  But more than that, it looks like Parker is new!Jack, what with playing mind games and using international pastries instead of lollipops.

I'm not fond of the push/pull between Parker and McGee over who is the big dog.  McGee didn't want to be team lead, right?  So why is he acting like Parker usurped the job?

Eat the kolache, Kasie.  Life is too short!

• Love 1

I was having a hard enough time getting into this episode but when they mentioned blanks and a cap gun, I just flipped the channel. Too soon after "Rust". I do think the network should have pulled this episode for a couple weeks...

• Love 1
12 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I was cringing the whole time, waiting for Kasie or McGee to make a Jon Erik Hexum reference, but it didn't happen.  Thankfully.

I'm thinking they're both too young to even remember the Hexum incident.  It only comes up now when there's an accident like the recent one.

The story was okay.  I'm okay as long as they can keep Torres from being a total maroon.

I liked Parker keeping them on edge and trying to do it via pastry.  There are worse things.

• Love 6

I got the impression McGee likes Parker. Parker is taking an interest in them, is sociable. All the things they wished Gibbs did. It just takes some getting used to. Torres is pretty much a dick but watching him get in that ice bath was hilarious. They need to give Knight more to do. 

• Love 3

I did not make the Rust connection as I lost track on what happened on that set - or rather I decided to wait for the official report.

It was interesting that the writers decided to address the differences in leading styles between Parker and Gibbs head-on. I hope the team starts to appreciate those pastries a bit more! And I agree - enough Torres drama, I'd like to see more of Knight.

• Love 6

I also cringed as soon as they started talking about blanks. I am surprised the episode wasn't pulled, but wasn't it supposed to have aired last week and they switched to a rerun? Though they did that for Hawaii too, so maybe was unrelated.

I laughed at Nick trying to give advice on coping with loss by using his coping with Gibbs leaving to relate. He lashed out at everyone and was completely irrational. I don't think he should be giving anyone coping advice.

• Love 5

I have seen every NCIS episode since it aired way back when.  I was apprehensive about how it would evolve when Mark Harmon announced he would be leaving, but I think Gary Cole is a good replacement.  I like his character's style of assuming the role of leader, and that he took the time to look into each agent's personal life to find out their strengths (and weaknesses maybe).   It doesn't hurt that he brings baked goods to the office either.  I am still hoping that the season finale happens in Alaska, and we see Gibbs working on that boat, and he and Parker share a beer together.  

• Love 9
14 hours ago, secnarf said:

I also cringed as soon as they started talking about blanks. I am surprised the episode wasn't pulled, but wasn't it supposed to have aired last week and they switched to a rerun? Though they did that for Hawaii too, so maybe was unrelated.

I think the Rust shooting happened after the last episode aired.

That is, when the last episode aired two weeks ago, we didn’t get previews for the next show. I remember watching Mark’s/Gibbs’s last episode and then reading about what happened on the movie set a week later. I think.

I enjoyed this episode.  I'm really liking Gary Cole as the Team Leader (though I agree that at times he sounds like a dead ringer for Mark Harmon).

As for making Torres such a pouty, angry, well, "dick", I read yesterday that the actor will probably be leaving the show.  He is apparently supposed to be in a new CBS comedy show.   I liked Torres up until this season.   They started making him over the top with Bishop and dialed it up with Gibbs.  I guess that the writers are looking for a way to exit him out.   

• Love 2

I really, really liked this episode.  I don't like the convoluted violence-related plots, so this one seemed more like it could really happen for an NCIS office.  

On 11/2/2021 at 1:18 AM, HurricaneVal said:

But more than that, it looks like Parker is new!Jack, what with playing mind games and using international pastries instead of lollipops.

When Parker himself mentioned the mind-games with pastries, I thought that he was joking and mocking the team for having thought that in the first place.

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I was apprehensive about how it would evolve when Mark Harmon announced he would be leaving, but I think Gary Cole is a good replacement.  I like his character's style of assuming the role of leader, and that he took the time to look into each agent's personal life to find out their strengths (and weaknesses maybe). 

I'm liking Parker, particularly the learning personal lives angle.  Surprised that he didn't read McGee's book while he was at it.  Interesting to learn that Knight was a Div 1 track champion.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I'm liking Parker, particularly the learning personal lives angle.  Surprised that he didn't read McGee's book while he was at it.  Interesting to learn that Knight was a Div 1 track champion.

Is it publicly known that Timothy McGee = Thom E Gemcity? I can't remember if people outside of the core group know. I would love to see Parker find that out, if he doesn't know already.

• Love 4

I didn’t connect the starter pistol to Rust at all.  If the networks/cable pulled every show where the plot invoked a killing with a gun, then no crime drama would air.  Now if the show was about a killing on a movie set via a prop gun, then yes, air it later.    
I’m just not invested in any of the ensemble cast that is in every NCIS episode now except for McGhee and Jimmy.  

• Love 6
18 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I didn’t connect the starter pistol to Rust at all.  If the networks/cable pulled every show where the plot invoked a killing with a gun, then no crime drama would air.  Now if the show was about a killing on a movie set via a prop gun, then yes, air it later.    
I’m just not invested in any of the ensemble cast that is in every NCIS episode now except for McGhee and Jimmy.  

It wasn’t just a gun - it was an accidental shooting from a blank. 
Maybe my gun knowledge is just below average (actually it is near zero so this may well be the case!) but I didn’t realize a blank could cause so much damage, or really have an understanding of what a blank actually is, until the Rust incident. That’s what made the connection for me - not the gun, but the blanks. 

14 hours ago, secnarf said:

It wasn’t just a gun - it was an accidental shooting from a blank. 
Maybe my gun knowledge is just below average (actually it is near zero so this may well be the case!) but I didn’t realize a blank could cause so much damage, or really have an understanding of what a blank actually is, until the Rust incident. That’s what made the connection for me - not the gun, but the blanks. 

CSI NY had a similar 'death by blanks' plot back in season 2.  In that case the gun was fired intending to scare somebody but the shooter hadn't realized that it would cause damage if fired too close. 

On 11/3/2021 at 7:17 PM, secnarf said:

Is it publicly known that Timothy McGee = Thom E Gemcity? I can't remember if people outside of the core group know. I would love to see Parker find that out, if he doesn't know already.

I'm pretty sure there is still a copy of Deep Six: The Adventures of L.J.Tibbs on the bookshelf behind Gibbs' old desk. 

Parker should be able to put 2 and 2 together. He is, after all, an FBI agent.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:40 PM, mythoughtis said:

It’s not about the gun. It’s about the fact that someone was accidentally killed because they were shot by a gun the shooter didn’t think would kill. Maybe these shows and movies need to start promoting the NRA and gun safety courses. 

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 1