Type keyword(s) to search

Matthew Morrison/Will Schuester

Pink ranger

I put Matthew Morrison in [the forthcoming film] Tulip Fever and he is so charismatic. In a cast of Christoph Waltz, Zach Galifianakis, Alicia Vikander, Dane DeHaan, Judi Dench and Jack O'Connell from Unbroken, Matthew not only holds his own but he steals a number of the scenes he's in.

From Harvey Weinstein. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/harvey-weinstein-blasts-finding-neverland-737316

Coming from such a powerful movie mogul like Weinstein, praise like this bodes really well for his post Glee prospects.

I hope most people agree!! Weinstein knows talent(arguably at least), but he's not going to bash someone he cast either. Though I do question his taste a bit since Harry Styles of all people was his first choice for the role. I'm not questioning Matt's talent, and I'm sure Weinstein believes what he's saying, but I'd like to hear the same thing from an unbiased source too.

It does sound good, and he's probably not singing at show level even

True. He'll probably project more when he's in character. Though fwiw, that song is fairly low-key anyway.

I personally think he sounds great, but it's hard to evaluate since it's only 13 seconds.

Edited by Sara2009

Finding Neverland begins previews tonight. I am so freckling nervous lol.

Just keep in mind that it's only the first preview. There's still a month until opening night, which is when all the critics will descend. Ha ha

By opening night you do get the guist of what kind of reviews a play will get from audience word of mouth though. It's the unknown thats scaring me right now. Though tonight was sold out so good start!

The reactions to the show has been very positive on Twitter from what I can see. Several people mentioned how enthusiastic the audience was too. The show got a standing ovation.

Edited by Sara2009

Matt is on Jimmy Fallon tonight and I'm amazed how young he looks. It's probably the longer hair, or maybe just how happy and excited he seems. Being away from Glee is working wonders for a lot of these actors!

Matt's "Finding Neverland" has grossed over 1 million since it's first full week, for 13 straight weeks.  It's a long ways to go for profitability, still it's a good sign that Matt can certainly headline a BW show;

• Love 1
(edited)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJsqwXJSZ-U

A group of New York theather critics discuss this seasons shows. At the 10 minute mark they get to finding neverland. It's understandably not pretty to watch but I don't really understand what their criticism of Matt is. Did they want him to channel " pedowill" more ?

There are actual little kids in the cast, so I don't think that would be appropriate lol.

Also you tube video of the Tony award performance.

So much vitriol in the comments

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bl00nw3v0

Edited by Pink ranger
(edited)

Eh, different strokes and all. At least two of the critics on that panel gave Matt a bad review when the show came out, so the I'm not surprised to read about the negativity.

And it's always best not to read YouTube comments. LOL

Edited by Sara2009
  • Love 1

It's got to be galling for these critics to see Finding Neverland a commercial success. They may not like the show, but it's obviously found an audience and is pulling in good money every week. The impact of their negative reviews on the show have been pretty minimal and I don't think that's so good for their egos.

Yes, past the summer , where I expect it to stay healthy re: box  office,  the key to recouping it's costs will be the fall winter months.  It is  not a slam dunk yet  that Neverland will have the longevity to last until next year.  I would imagine it's overhead is high.

Having said that, Matt is clearly "back" on BW and he should be getting other good  stage offers past Neverland.

Yes, past the summer , where I expect it to stay healthy re: box office, the key to recouping it's costs will be the fall winter months. It is not a slam dunk yet that Neverland will have the longevity to last until next year. I would imagine it's overhead is high.

Having said that, Matt is clearly "back" on BW and he should be getting other good stage offers past Neverland.

Hopefully his next role will have less PR controversy. Ha ha

(edited)

Yes, he shouldn't try to "steal" any Jeremy Jordan roles.

Just kidding!!

Jeremy is still whining about losing the role too.

It's no wonder that his fans can't move on. LOL

Edited by Sara2009
Jeremy is still whining about losing the role too.

LOL...I don't think Jeremy has anything personal against Matt, but I guess it's hard to let go when from all accounts the tryout in Boston went very well, including a record run at the venue.

MY own spin is that Jeremy, while he was never technically contracted for the BW run, figured that a good  tryout outing would give him the inside track and an implied promise to continue on Broadway. 

LOL...I don't think Jeremy has anything personal against Matt, but I guess it's hard to let go when from all accounts the tryout in Boston went very well, including a record run at the venue.

MY own spin is that Jeremy, while he was never technically contracted for the BW run, figured that a good tryout outing would give him the

inside track and an implied promise to continue

on Broadway.

I think his resentment is toward Harvey Weinstein. Weinstein always wanted Matt, but I think he sort of strung Jeremy along.

Kelsey Grammer is going on a 3 months leave from Finding Neverland. I haven't heard of this actor who is replacing him, but he has a great voice. Hopefully the box office won't be badly affected, this is one of those shows where the overall brand ie Peter Pan is massive selling point in it self.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Anthony-Warlow-Announces-He-Will-Step-in-for-Kelsey-Grammer-in-Broadways-FINDING-NEVERLAND-20150625

Anthony Warlow was the original Australian Phantom. He is a household name here. A number of his albums have charted on the local chart. And he even managed to get something on the singles chart when he played the Beauty School Drop Oout Angel in a production of Grease. I personally find his voice to be excellent a very versatile. Pretty sure it was during the run of Phantom that he had to eventally drop out due to being diagnosed with cancer.

• Love 1

I hope that Matthews ok. He only performed 2 shows last week. I think that it was a vacation since he tweeted from Miami on Monday but there hasn't been any info from an official source at all.

(edited)

1 million followers now on Twitter!

I remember when he first got Twitter and every tweet for the first year or so was pretty much just a sterile ad of 140 character or less, so painfully publicity focused. I don't know if it's him or his manager that handles the account now but it at least feels more fun and personal now while also being a good publicity tool.

Edited by Pink ranger

1 million followers now on Twitter!

I remember when he first got Twitter and every tweet for the first year or so was pretty much

just a sterile ad of 140 character or less, so

painfully publicity focused. I don't know if it's him

or his manager that handles the account now

but it at least feels more fun and personal now

while also being a good publicity tool.

It's been him since around season 3 or so.

Highlight of reviews that Matt received for Finding Neverland now that there are only a few more weeks until he finishes.

Joe Dzemianowicz, New Daily News

“Matthew Morrison doesn’t push. His ever genuine and impressively easygoing star turn as writer J.M. Barrie in “Finding Neverland” is what makes his return to Broadway after six seasons of “Glee” cast such an irresistible spell.
Less can be more, and he knows it. If only producer Harvey Weinstein and director Diane Paulus had learned that lesson.

David Gordon, TheaterMania

“ In his first Broadway appearance since the 2009 start of Glee, Morrison proves he hasn't lost his chops, delivering a well-sung and intriguingly internalized performance, one where you can see the confusion and anger simmering inside until he finally explodes.”

David Rooney, Hollywood Reporter

‘At the core of the show are sensitive, naturalistic performances from Morrison and Kelly, two accomplished musical-theater actors who sketch their characters' mutual yearnings and sorrows in delicate strokes, at times finding sincerity even in the most hackneyed lyrics.’

Jesse Green, Vulture

“Well, perhaps Paulus was feeling some pressure from somewhere to deliver a hit. Box-office reports suggest that she has succeeded. If so, that will be in no small part thanks to Morrison, who sounds great and, after six years on Glee, knows just how to sell subpar material.”

Jessica Shaw, Entertainment weekly

“Morrison, who left the stage for Glee’s McKinley High, seems to relish every line (“Boys should never be made to go to bed. They always wake up one day older.”)”

Richard Zorglin, Time Magazine

“Matthew Morrison, recently of the TV show Glee, is more convincing and relatable as Barrie than the moony and mercurial Johnny Depp in the film.”

Robert Hofler, The Wrap

“The “Glee” star, on the other hand, keeps it very low-key, giving real heart and enormous grace to Barrie, the real boy who never grows up.”

Marilyn Stasion, Variety

“Morrison (“Glee”) is extremely well cast as the hypersensitive Scottish playwright, investing him with a stirring voice and a tender heart”

Robert Kahn, NBC New York

“Morrison has a consistent Scottish brogue and a melancholy demeanor in a performance that’s very likable.”

“Finding Neverland” is best in its scenes with surrogate father Barrie and the four boys. Those talented kids, who prematurely aged when their own father died, help the writer access his imagination. Alongside Morrison, I think they’re the ones who deserve a lot of the credit for getting “Finding Neverland” to fly.”

Linda Winer, Newsday

“Morrison -- a major Broadway talent before the world knew him as Mr. Schue from "Glee" -- has a beard and a three-piece suit and an endearing playfulness as yet-another sensitive father figure.”

Roger Friedman, Showbiz 411

“Matthew Morrison is like a real life Peter Pan as he makes a    Glee-full return to Broadway with legions of fans following him”

“And PS– Morrison has his huge following from “Glee,” but he’s the real thing. He has a beautiful voice with lots of range, and stage presence to spare.”

Elysa Gardener, USA Today

“Glee alum Matthew Morrison — appearing in his first Broadway production since 2008's glorious staging of South Pacific — is predictably likable, and credible, as a man who rediscovers the boy inside himself.”

Mark Kennedy, Associated Press

“The musical, which opened Wednesday at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, welcomes back to Broadway a super Matthew Morrison.”

@Matt_Morrison: Hate having vocal fry so close to the end... 15 shows left, and every one of them is so precious. Hate missing a single second of it."

What dose vocal fry mean in this context? I heard of it as a female vocal technique but that's obviously not what he's taking about.

@Matt_Morrison: Hate having vocal fry so close to the end... 15 shows left, and every one of them is so precious. Hate missing a single second of it."

What dose vocal fry mean in this context? I heard of it as a female vocal technique but that's obviously not what he's taking about.

I think he is just saying  his voice is worn out.