Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Road Trip

• Start Topic

This was another good episode. This time focusing on microaggressions. I felt for Colin knowing all of his away games would include bs from hotel employees. I also continue to have mixed feelings about his parents. Colin being pulled over should have been an eye opener. It's clear the cop was racist, and was a second from pulling a gun on their son. But they seemed to not discuss it and go back to normal afterwards. I guess it may be realistic of a white couple who live in a white town and feel they don't need to acknowledge race. I suspect at some point it will be up to Colin to start the conversation about being black and growing up in a mainly white environment with his parents.

• Love 1

Two things can be true: Colin’s parents loved and supported Colin, and they could also be completely oblivious about white privilege and micro aggressions, whether it can from others or themselves. And to be fair, they’ve admitted as much in interviews.

I really wish they’d been more offended by the Karen hotel managers that assumed Colin was harassing them. When someone is assuming the worst about your child, there’s no point in being polite.

• Love 1

Colin's parents may love and support him but they are clueless.

If anyone and i mean ANYONE talked to my child the way some of those coaches, hotel managers, etc. talked to Colin, I would be all over them like a rash.  I can see that attitude back in the 80s and 90s (the one that my kid is wrong and the world is right) but I cannot see that happening in the '00 and certainly not today. 

The woman who explained she was "thinking of getting one too" I would have told her, "this is a person, not a puppy."

And of course, no one noticed in the hotel that it was the other kids from other schools acting up.

But what really killed me, was the fact that Colin's parents didn't even realize the cop was racially profiling him and Colin was scared shitless.

Question, does anyone know how much of the parent's attitude was dramatized and how much was fact?

• Love 1

This episode was painfully good, the best one yet.  The way his enthusiasm got progressively stolen from him as the tournament season wore on was so well done. 

And, of course, while he's experiencing this horrible awakening, his parents remain utterly clueless, even though many of these things are happening right in front of them.  Even sitting right there while he's pulled over for DWB and the cop reaches for his gun, nothing.

I love the segment with the lawyers, especially the bit at the end about how they both need to remove their posts about "white lives matter".