Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Part III

• Start Topic

This season is really good so far - the episodes have a nice pace to them where Ambrose uncovers more stuff each week but the suspense keeps building.

I’ve been suspicious of the entire Muldoon family since the start, and I’m not surprised Colin is coming under suspicion, he’s seemed really off from the beginning, and it wouldn’t shock me if him and Percy were having an incestuous relationship and that was driving some of Percy’s strange behavior. It’s clear that Percy is scared of something/someone and feels guilty about something and is trying to escape, but I’m still not sure of what it is exactly.

So it was Sean who was driving Percy’s car to the drug dealers place that night, but is he telling the whole truth? It’s clear that Colin is Meg’s favorite son and Sean resents that, and I think Meg is still covering stuff up.

I still wonder how the Lam family will fit into everything, given that they’ve been given too big of a role to be innocent bystanders, but I’m not nearly as suspicious of them as I am of the Muldoons. And I’m still curious about the spiritual stuff Percy was involved in, how it is connected to the women Ambrose saw in the woods, and how it ties into the case.

And so the dead body at the end - is it Percy or not? I honestly don’t know. Will it be discovered next week or not?

Sonya kind of gets on my nerves, I’m not sure what it is about her but she just doesn’t add much to the show and doesn’t seem like a good match with Ambrose a lot of the time. Ambrose seems to be most alive and at his best when getting to the bottom of a puzzling mystery, and Sonya doesn’t seem to get that about him.

Overall I’m loving this season and hope it continues to be excellent.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m not surprised Colin is coming under suspicion,

We’re finally getting to see more of him. From the trailers, I thought he’d be a bigger factor in the show. I’d rather see more of the rest of the family than Percy’s “aura” skulking around. Good surmising about the incest. There is at least something there if not that. 

22 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Sonya kind of gets on my nerves, I’m not sure what it is about her but she just doesn’t add much to the show and doesn’t seem like a good match with Ambrose a lot of the time.

Agree with this. I don’t know if it’s the actress or the character, but she and the relationship just isn’t working for me. 

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, ferjy said:

We’re finally getting to see more of him. From the trailers, I thought he’d be a bigger factor in the show. I’d rather see more of the rest of the family than Percy’s “aura” skulking around. Good surmising about the incest. There is at least something there if not that. 

Agree with this. I don’t know if it’s the actress or the character, but she and the relationship just isn’t working for me. 

Colin has just seemed suspicious from the start, of course naturally I’m suspicious of everyone on this show but he does seem off. I’m suspicious of all of the Muldoons but I also suspect the Lam family will play a role going forward as well, they’ve been mentioned too much to just be minor characters. Anyway there’s a lot of intrigue here and a lot left to unravel, I’ve really liked the pace of the show this season, it’s never slow but it doesn’t feel rushed either, last season there was basically no suspense after about the halfway mark.

I’m glad someone else agrees about Sonya, she doesn’t add anything to the show for me, I don’t sense much chemistry between her and Ambrose, they just seem like an odd match, and everything seemed really awkward with them in this episode. 

• Love 5

Sonya seems like a bit of an annoyance to Ambrose and whatever chemistry they had last season is gone. Ambrose is best when he’s in his element, investigating and solving cases. I love how he picks up on inconsistencies and gets a good read on people. I’m always amazed at what he gets people to reveal. I, too, thinking incest. He definitely seems to be the most defensive and reactive. 
He’s an odd duck and I don’t think most people know how to take him but it works.

I confess I’m a little bit in love with him though his sexual predilections would be a big no! 😩

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

While watching this episode, the title of the series just hit me... "The Sinner" - why?  During the first season, I assumed it applied to Jessica Biel's character with all of her secrets and lies.   Now, four seasons in, was Harry the sinner the whole time and I'm just realizing it or does each season have a sinner?

I know Harry has a messed up background -- I remember him being shown with a sex worker/BDSM stuff in S1 and that he talked about his mother being abusive(?) but if the title of the series applies to Harry, what is his sin?  Harry has been tortured by something every season so far, so did I forget something that makes him the title character or am I thinking too much about a USA Channel series?

Edited by patty1h
  • Useful 1

Is no one going to talk about a woman being named Percy?  Sorry, but that bugs me every time her name is said.

Otherwise, an interesting season so far.  I keep wondering whether it's going to turn out like the original Wicker Man or other such stories where a tightly knit local community must sacrifice someone because of a bad crop, in this case fish.

• Love 4
On 10/29/2021 at 4:19 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Sonya seems like a bit of an annoyance to Ambrose and whatever chemistry they had last season is gone. Ambrose is best when he’s in his element, investigating and solving cases.

I think it was a mistake to drag Sonya into this season. She serves no purpose and she is a total bland annoying bore. 

18 hours ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

Is no one going to talk about a woman being named Percy?  Sorry, but that bugs me every time her name is said.

Otherwise, an interesting season so far.  I keep wondering whether it's going to turn out like the original Wicker Man or other such stories where a tightly knit local community must sacrifice someone because of a bad crop, in this case fish.

This series always builds each season around a collection of weirdos. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I don't mind Sonya. I like that she's not the stereotypical girlfriend. Her responses make sense to me but you can tell she's struggling so hard to be understanding. Clearly her patience is wearing thin. I'm liking her enough to maybe finally forgive her for being so snarky to Ross all those years ago. 😁

I spent half this episode trying to figure out who was who in the Muldoon family. I must not have paid attention in the first episode, because I started out thinking Sean was Meg's husband and Colin was his son. I think I finally have things straight though. 

I'm really enjoying the season so far, maybe because the cast aren't all weirdos and angry hostile people. There are quite a few I find likeable, including Percy and CJ. Weird, but likeable. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/31/2021 at 2:14 PM, patty1h said:

Now, four seasons in, was Harry the sinner the whole time and I'm just realizing it or does each season have a sinner?

I know Harry has a messed up background -- I remember him being shown with a sex worker/BDSM stuff in S1 and that he talked about his mother being abusive(?) but if the title of the series applies to Harry, what is his sin?  Harry has been tortured by something every season so far, so did I forget something that makes him the title character or am I thinking too much about a USA Channel series?

I started thinking about the title this season in also. It could have both meanings, but it makes more sense to me that Harry thinks of himself as a sinner and his obsession to solve crimes is how he tries to atone for his sin(s). It doesn't mean that he actually did commit a sin, just that he thinks that he did. I don't remember what he said about his mother being abusive, but it's not surprising that a child who is abused is made to feel guilty and deserving of the abuse. 

• Useful 1
On 11/2/2021 at 3:15 PM, One Imaginary Girl said:

Short for Persephone? But, seriously, it could be that the name on her birth certificate is totally different from Percy, and she was given a boy's nickname because she was (a) a tough girl/tomboy and/or (2) destined to take over the family business, which traditionally would be run by a man (though her grandmother ran it after her husband died).

• Like 1