Type keyword(s) to search

S03:E08 Stand By Your Man

• Start Topic

Bill Clinton was definitely a slippery slimy jerk in that Starr interview (deposition?) while at the same time I kind of loved that he ran circles around Ken Starr and his team. For all of Starr’s personal distaste for impure talk, he and his team certainly got down and dirty with questioning Clinton about the affair

Hillary was scoffed at for her “vast right wing conspiracy” remark but she was right. I felt sorry for her for the situation she found herself in, but she continued to stay with a hound dog

A really good episode that focused on the Clintons and the personal fallout for them of the affair

I know I mentioned the annoyance of the 80 minute length for nearly every episode, but I’m finding things don’t really drag like I thought they would. They are putting the extra length to good use

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/29/2021 at 7:48 AM, Milburn Stone said:

That said, in the second half of the episode, she gave a powerful performance. But I wish they had cast Hope Davis. She would have been spectacular. (And looks more like Hillary, and can manage the correct accent.) Maybe she was their first choice and she didn't want to do it.

Hope Davis played Hillary in this 2007 HBO movie called The Special Relationship about Bill Clinton and Tony Blair in the late 90's. And omg, she is SO GOOD, that there were times I just really thought it was her. I remember thinking after watching that that no one else should ever play Hillary but her.

So, yeah, your suggestion is spot on, lol. Edie Falco was great in this episode, but she can't imitate Hillary. She's just Edie Falco.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:50 PM, JasonCC said:

That kitchen island was so NOT 1990s: way too current and up until now they've been pretty good at these things.

What??  Everyone I knew had a kitchen island in the 90s.. I remember my parents re-doing our kitchen in 1991 to add one.  They were definitely a thing in the 90s.

On 10/29/2021 at 10:12 AM, qtpye said:

I remember there was a horrible song about Daisy Dukes (short shorts) that had a line "Hillary Clinton would look good in some Daisy Dukes".

Not that it mattered but she was rather cute back in the day.

I think she was really cute in her college days, and she is pretty now, but in the 90s, I remember thinking that she was not good looking at all.

23 hours ago, GussieK said:

I think the islands were in fact popular in the 90s already.  Nancy Myers movies always showed them, even in the 90s.  She was always being referred to for this. 

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/nancy-meyers-film-kitchens-ranked-230066

YES!  All kitchens had one in the 90s.

Re-watched with the other half.

For me it wasn't having an island per se that seemed not of the 90s it was the minimalist, Italian marble and white subway tile look in Vernon Jordan's home. That "classic" look got popular more recently than 1997 but I'm sure some people in an otherwise country-style Cape Cod home had it. 

2nd viewing Edie Falco's accent bothered me more--mainly because I remember being surprised how "southern" Hillary's voice had been in the Arkansas days and the 60 Minutes Interview. Then that went away and her Chicago suburban accent came back. Falco didn't really do either.