Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Where Political Junkies Convene

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Well, I caved and bought a ticket for his September 10 show here in D.C.

Anyone here who lives in DC going? My ticket is up in the OO section; If so, anyone want to meet up for a drink before the show? Warner Hall is about 4 blocks from my office, and there are 3 hours to kill before the show starts.

I think one poster here is going; they mentioned it on the TWoP forum before it shut down.

• Love 1

Is this the show that's after the live Real Time show? And it's not a Friday night in Real Time's normal slot? I'm in DC and was toying with the idea of going after seeing the promos, but figured it was the Friday night and I travel almost every weekend. I could do a Wednesday. Hmmmm...

OH MY GOD, y'all! Remember that blonde who was on one of the shows who thought fracking was a Great kewl idea? and it meant more jobs or whatever? She is in my OFFICE right this minute! She, along with an entourage are touring my firm's office, as we are moving in a couple of months.

Man! Why couldn't it be someone I LIKED? Not that I like anyone, but good glory.

• Love 3

Well, that's twice now that Maher has talked about someone on his show and that person died over the weekend.  First Scalia, and now Nancy Reagan.  I'm not attributing any special power to him, especially considering that 99.99% of the people he talks about survive quite nicely.  But still, it's kinda weird.

• Love 3

Well, that's twice now that Maher has talked about someone on his show and that person died over the weekend. First Scalia, and now Nancy Reagan. I'm not attributing any special power to him, especially considering that 99.99% of the people he talks about survive quite nicely. But still, it's kinda weird.

I was coming to say the same thing!

Well, there wasn't a new episode last night, so I just watched this one again.  It was really a very good episode, since I wasn't loaded for bear the second time around.  (Looking forward to that LBJ movie with Cranston.)

The mod has curtailed the poli-talk, so does anyone have a recommendation for a political discussion site whether the decibel level is similar to this one--i.e. where the contributions are pithier than a string of  #$%^&* comments?

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, try Crooks and Liars.

It leans left and is an intimate community with some great posters. Easy to post with links and pictures and mods are friendly. They cover the latest in political du jour. Isn't TV specific although they often post stories about Morning Joke, SNL and the like.

http://crooksandliars.com/

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Bossa Nova said:

Yes, try Crooks and Liars.

It leans left and is an intimate community with some great posters. Easy to post with links and pictures and mods are friendly. They cover the latest in political du jour. Isn't TV specific although they often post stories about Morning Joke, SNL and the like.

http://crooksandliars.com/

Ooh, "Progressive news & media coverage."  Perfect; love it.  Thanks!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, candall said:

The mod has curtailed the poli-talk, so does anyone have a recommendation for a political discussion site whether the decibel level is similar to this one--i.e. where the contributions are pithier than a string of  #$%^&* comments?

Also you could try this.  

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=greatest_threads

4 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

DU is the same.  

• Love 1

Used to like Talkingpointsmemo.com.  Still read it, but it's getting monotonous.  Poor editing of its articles; way too much Trump coverage to the exclusion of pretty much anything else.  Maybe after the election it'll be good again, but right now, it's mediocre on a good day.

• Love 1

Am I imagining things or wasn't there supposed to be a RTWBM during three nights of the RNC?  My listings are only showing me a new one on Wednesday, a new one on Thursday and a repeat on Friday.  

I followed Maher's Twitter during the debate, but the output was sparse.  I had to spend an hour combing through the forum threads to find the recommended links, above. 

When you review the thirty-two episodes of 2016 as "Season 14," the show suddenly seems quite phenomenal.

To quote HRC:  Wooo! Oh-kay.

• Love 1

@attica:

You inspired me to read, among other thing, Boissevain's essay, "Women's Suffrage--Why I Am Wearing White On Election Day."  Oh my, it would be amazing for you to do it--I think the only people who might notice would be those who firmly approved.  (I rescue animals and haven't owned anything white since . . . the last century, ha--do it for me, too.)

• Love 1

Granholm is on my list of Fantasy Cabinet picks. That is to say, I've been imagining a slate of progressives to fill out an HRC cabinet, with no giveaways to Rs like usually happens. I put Granholm at Labor. Cecile Richards is at HHS, just to give you an idea of my thinking here. I haven't decided where to put Wendy Davis yet. I think Paul Reickhoff will handle Veterans (I'm'a leave Tammy Duckworth in the Senate, since she will just be getting there.) Maybe sometime Real Time guest Alexis Goldstein can knock some heads together at Treasury.

My only rule is to leave senior officeholders (like Bernie and Warren) where they are. Same with those with R governors, otherwise I'd have a miserable time deciding where to put Sherrod Brown.

And as always, Al Franken for SCOTUS! I want a Frankencourt so so hard.

• Love 3

On the one hand, I'm glad I was cheerful going into the election, because there's always time to be miserable once misery actually befalls you, and no sense in inviting it early. On the other hand, I'm literally shaking in misery and and nausea now. And utter lack of comprehension. In so many many things.

And shame.

Edited by attica
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm not sure what we'll get on Friday; a pissed off Bill? Depressed? I'm still wrecked over this.

I can't wait to find out!  it's not gonna be pretty though  I'll say, super  pissed off.

I remember him saying at the end of the last episode something like please sweet Jesus.... that HRC gets elected.  Oh man I hoped it happened too.  It's not just a bad dream right?  :(

He's going to be pissed as hell about the Electoral College again. As he should. I've had with that- this isn't democracy. Hillary won the votes.

We shouldn't have to accept this.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2

Any #neverTrump people watching Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC tonight have to be gagging after her opening about Trump + Russian ties + fact Trump now gets daily top level security briefings, which obviously includes info about any assets in play against Russia.....  There's plenty to be worried about for those who oppose Trump.  It's never ending.

• Love 2

A Trump supporter in my family assured me this morning that Trump's rhetoric was for the campaign only, and that people concerned about racial antagonism are being "needlessly hysterical."  Then we get things like this:

****If you care at all about preventing racial injustice, please read that linked article, and pass that tweet on to others****

Edited by Duke Silver

In general, I make fun of Trump supporters for generally voting against their self-interest largely due to getting their information only from the Fox News &/or Breitbart echo chambers.  So for those of us who are not on that side of the fence, here is a succinct statement of the post-election rationale, in the very least, of what caused the result we got.  I call b.s. on much of this, but it's important, I think, for us to know the arguments they are using:

I'm carrying out an inner dialogue at this point, buuuuut, I just want to clarify.  I didn't post that video above because I'm encouraging others to seek debate w/ Trump supporters.  I've actually come to the conclusion that such debate is ineffectual.  That demographic has been pounded for decades w/ rhetoric proclaiming the evils of all non-Christian institutions.  Reasoned debate is not going to happen, IMO.  I focus instead on doing what I can to make people I know care about local issues and elections, and to make those Dems who didn't vote last Tuesday understand what this is costing them.

A good friend messaged this article link to me this morning:  http://www2.nybooks.com/daily/s3/nov/10/trump-election-autocracy-rules-for-survival.html

Both Clinton’s and Obama’s phrases about the peaceful transfer of power concealed the omission of a call to action. The protesters who took to the streets of New York, Los Angeles, and other American cities on Wednesday night did so not because of Clinton’s speech but in spite of it. One of the falsehoods in the Clinton speech was the implied equivalency between civil resistance and insurgency. This is an autocrat’s favorite con, the explanation for the violent suppression of peaceful protests the world over.