Type keyword(s) to search

S41.E06: Ready to Play Like a Lion

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Way too many twists.

So which one between Shan and Ricard will ultimately betray the other one?

Ricard doesn't get as many confessionals, but you can tell he's past trusting her.

• Love 9

Well, that wasn't boring! 

There's just zero chance Erika doesn't turn back time. 

I felt sorry for all of them pushing the giant ball in the zillion degree heat, but probably mostly for Xander. He gets stuck doing all the heavy lifting (literally) while his teammates plot to get rid of him. 

Seeing them push so hard when they're playing on the surface of the sun made me scared for their health, but I expect that production is being way more careful after Caleb's experience. Hopefully they're all at least well hydrated. But so horribly sweaty and filthy. Why aren't they going into the ocean more? 

It's The Cookout Part Deux! (Although apparently it's really Part One, and BB had Part Deux.) I'm fine with it except for having to read a million posts for and against it. I just did that for 3 months. 

There are usually more people I like by now. My UO is that I don't mind Shan at all. I don't see how she's any more fiendish or evil than many male players who people had no problem with. Her actions seem logical to me within the context of the game. I don't think she's a bad person. 

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Well, that wasn't boring! 

There's just zero chance Erika doesn't turn back time. 

I felt sorry for all of them pushing the giant ball in the zillion degree heat, but probably mostly for Xander. He gets stuck doing all the heavy lifting (literally) while his teammates plot to get rid of him. 

Seeing them push so hard when they're playing on the surface of the sun made me scared for their health, but I expect that production is being way more careful after Caleb's experience. Hopefully they're all at least well hydrated. But so horribly sweaty and filthy. Why aren't they going into the ocean more? 

It's The Cookout Part Deux! (Although apparently it's really Part One, and BB had Part Deux.) I'm fine with it except for having to read a million posts for and against it. I just did that for 3 months. 

There are usually more people I like by now. My UO is that I don't mind Shan at all. I don't see how she's any more fiendish or evil than many male players who people had no problem with. Her actions seem logical to me within the context of the game. I don't think she's a bad person. 

Yes, we really did just go through this and I’m exhausted already. It is amazing that this was filmed before BB aired and some had the same idea. We’ll have to see how it plays out. Of course, Erika could upset the apple 🍎 cart with all the advantages in the game. I just hate we have to wait a whole other week for it. If there was ever a time to have a 2 hour episode it was tonight. 

• Love 8

Probst had way too much time on his hands during the pandemic when he came up with all these convoluted twists. It’s too much. Sometimes less is more.

I’m guessing Erica chickens out and doesn’t switch things up. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

Sort of funny that these players probably thought this alliance was a really big deal just to come home and see The Cookout get all the publicity. 

I am an old school Survivor fan at heart, but the advantages this season so don't annoy me. I was very disappointed when Jeff said no tribal council tonight.  

• Love 9

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our … Live thoughts on episode 6 “Fantasy (Exile) Island”:

• The all powerful Mr. Probst has granted Erika’s wish to have the opportunity to change history.  If she decides to do it, will an ironic twist lead to a poignant life lesson for her?  Yes, Boss.
  • Earn your buff!  You gotta dig deep!  Change history! … Probst sure has big balls this season (and he’s just itching to tell us about them).
  • The bad merge poetry in tree mail had me fooled this was going to be a classic show, but instead it was a rules-heavy half-show.  Boooo!

“Mergatory”. Heh.

• LOL 9
  • Love 8

I just can't about no tribal council where we see the impact of everyone's strategy and alliances.  What does this show think it is?  The Bachelorette when they don't end the episode with a rose ceremony?  AND, they kind of half-heartedly cancelled half of the merge feast-again, like the Bachelorette cancelling cocktail parties.  Dagnabit, I want SURVIVOR back, not Jeff thinking of every idea possible and throwing them all together.

I guess due to the shortened filming schedule they have to drag out the tribal councils, but it just isn't right (IMO).

I still don't get why the original blue tribe would target one of their own rather than someone from another tribe.  It seems like it's very short-sighted.

Oh, and I really wanted Rikard to keep the advantage.

Edited by seacliffsal
clarifying why Survivor is now like The Bachelorette
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, GenerationX said:

“Mergatory”. Heh.

That was one of the more clever things I've heard in the Survivor-sphere in awhile.

I was amused at Liana's increasing frustration with having to tell not one, but two people about her advantage because Shan just couldn't wait until they were alone to ask her about it. Nice ally you've got there, Liana! And the other two allies she made this episode were so scared about women voting out men that they tried to throw a challenge. Well, maybe it will work out for her.

I so wanted Erika to just grab the hammer right after Jeff laid it down and smash the hell out of that hourglass right then and there. I mean, we all know that's what she's going to do, right? The show wouldn't have made it a cliffhanger otherwise.

Anyway, pretty sure I'm just watching out of habit now. I was way more invested in a contestant on the recently-concluded Halloween Baking Championship than I am in any of these people.

Jeff is drinking way too much of his own kool-aid, which I think also has some extra sauce in it. I had such second hand embarrassment when he yelled out the gotta dig deep line.

I assume either Ricard or Shan is going to betray one or the other since we got treated to 5 more minutes of advantagegate.

Danny killed all the goodwill I had for him in one shot going on about men vs women.

Nasir made me laughing when he was trying to learn the correct pronunciation of Evie's name.

• Love 13

I think if Erika doesn’t smash the hour glass, then they just would have removed all references to it.  

How can Liane be so stupid as to trust Shan who spilled about her advantage in front of Tiffany?

• Useful 4
  • Love 11
9 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I think if Erika doesn’t smash the hour glass, then they just would have removed all references to it.  

How can Liane be so stupid as to trust Shan who spilled about her advantage in front of Tiffany?

I think they'd keep it in, just because if she doesn't smash it, and it backfires on her, then there's that footage of everyone talking behind her back, saying how stupid she was, and how she's gone.  And maybe she will be.  Although I think that everyone was just throwing out Erika's name because she wasn't there, so she was the easiest one to talk about.  Of course, if she does smash it, then that changes everything.  

I don't think she expected Shan to go blab to Tiffany about Liana's advantage.  I was even wondering what the heck she was thinking by doing that.  And now Tiffany isn't sure whether to trust Liana or not, so this could backfire on her.  And Shan.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, keke23 said:

Jeff is drinking way too much of his own kool-aid, which I think also has some extra sauce in it. I had such second hand embarrassment when he yelled out the gotta dig deep line.

I assume either Ricard or Shan is going to betray one or the other since we got treated to 5 more minutes of advantagegate.

Danny killed all the goodwill I had for him in one shot going on about men vs women.

Nasir made me laughing when he was trying to learn the correct pronunciation of Evie's name.

Why? The women on the Yase tribe did join together to start voting out all the men. Are the other men on the tribe just supposed to ignore this and let it happen?

• Love 22
9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I really don't see a downside to Erika turning back time. (Does that mean the other six get a feast too?) Unless she stupidly thinks she can ingratiate herself back into her original tribe. She already knew she was at the bottom of the totem pole and they didn't pick her to go with them. It would be the dumbest move ever.

The potential downside is that she goes from being at the bottom of the 6 person blue tribe that hypothetically could/should band together to vote out the other six to being number one target for her former tribe mates and anyone else.

If she maintains the status quo, she could hope that the blue tribemates plus Naseer will start by voting all the green and yellow people they can. That gives her some gameplay as she can try to figure out when is the right time to break the Blue Strong strategy. Even in a worst case scenario, this probably gets her deeper in the game, like somewhere from 6-8. 

Turning back time guarantees her safety for the next tribal, but it has a good chance of meaning that all five of the people who survive that tribal will be pissed at her and likely vote her off ASAP. Whereas it won't likely endear her enough to those who became immune to help protect her. Barring immunity or something weird, she probably would get booted somewhere like 9-11. But even if she manages through luck or masterful game play to get to the final tribal, she almost certainly would cost herself the votes of all the six people she essentially stripped immunity from.

We happen to know that her former tribemates want her out, because we've seen their confessionals, we know that they didn't play rock, paper, scissors (that disordering Danny did really bugged me, btw).  She doesn't necessarily have a clue that people were actively gunning for her before.

Even if she suspects that they want her gone, she might think that it makes sense for them to keep her around so that there are seven votes to put on one of the non blue players. 

• Love 2

Glad to have Survivor back but not liking how it’s playing out. Jeff always says he does the show for the fans but his ew.com proves yet again that isn’t true. Why did I watch when he said there isn’t going to be a vote out and his challenge might not even matter? Because I’m stupid. LOL!!!! At least, this should have been a 2 hour episode. Also, the worst has yet to happen. We still have all these advantages out there and none have been played. Some of these strangers are going to be Cirie-ed out. Also, who is this blonde person named, Heather? Is she knew? Was she part of the twist? Asking for a friend. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I told you there was an Erika!

Survivor is one of the few shows I go out of my way to avoid spoilers for. I've been spoiled once or twice on winners and Final 3s, and it always pisses me off. I've learned to avoid certain websites that I know sometimes contain spoilers. 

I wasn't expecting Jeff to get so excited that he couldn't contain himself and started telling me what was going to happen later in the same episode I was currently watching! I'm already watching it, Probst! Don't tell me what's going to happen five minutes later!

• LOL 18
  • Love 3

Shan and Ricard were unbearable again. I can't believe that Ricard didn't come off all that bad in the argument with Shan about the advantage. I wish he would have kept it.

I wanted to see a tribal council tonight, so I was disappointed when Jeff said there wouldn't be one. 

Felt bad for Erika for not being picked to join the winning tribe for the merge feast. She seemed to do very well on Exile Island. I'm not a fan of the changing history advantage, but I'm okay with it because Erika has it. Erika for the win all of the way.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, LanceM said:

Why? The women on the Yase tribe did join together to start voting out all the men. Are the other men on the tribe just supposed to ignore this and let it happen?

Because its my personal opinion and I get sick of the fear of the almighty all girl alliances that never amount to anything on Survivor and Big Brother. 

• Love 5

I’m curious who gets screwed next week. The only non edit is Heather (Erika is now formally non purple) and, is the only I can’t see getting screwed because who would care. Everyone else left has been shown to be playing the game so it will be interesting who gets merge boot + 1 episode screwed. Also, will any of the advances save them or someone else. I’m trying to stay positive but it gets harder every week. Whew!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

And he didn't even have a buff to hold his hairdo in place.

• LOL 22
  • Love 2

Just posted: Primetimer's Joe Reid weighs in on tonight's episode. Here's a taste:

Does this latest twist forever alter the game of Survivor? No. But in a dozen small ways, it picks apart what the show has always been. The simplicity of the merge episode and all of its attendant strategies, the reliance on group strategy versus one player having a ton of power, even the basic concept that winning is winning and losing is losing. Jeff Probst's little time-tuner undermines all of that.

More here:
https://www.primetimer.com/features/survivor-just-disrupted-its-merge-episode-with-time-travel

• Love 3

Did Liana actually say that Tiffany was charismatic? That gives me hope that she'll misplay her advantage in a spectacular fashion. Or maybe Shan will steal that too, before getting aufed by Ricard.

Rooting for Erika and Naseer now to make final tribal. Maybe it's foreshadowing that both of them can make fire?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20

Those giant balls made me think of Indiana Jones & the scene where he's running away from the giant ball. That would have been an awesome Survivor twist.

Erika better do the reset, she already knows that she's lowest person in the competition, making some people hate her, but an equal amount like her isn't going to hurt her & it will get her back in the game.

• Love 11

I just can’t with this season. 

Erika should turn back the clock, that is a no brainer. She is in no condition to participate in an immunity challenge. She should also be prepared to tell her tribe that she did it to increase the odds that individual immunity falls into one of their hands and makes it easier to vote out a non-blue player. She is only staying LuLu strong…

• Love 12
5 hours ago, eskimo said:

So are Erika and Naseer not considered POC?  I don't mind the 4 aligning, but them talking about always sticking out I would think they'd at least put Naseer and Erika on the periphery of their alliance.  They specifically said POC, but what they meant was black people.  Just say that then.  I have no doubt Erika and Naseer know exactly what it's like to be the only one who looks like you or talks like you.  Especially Naseer, who speaks with a thick accent.  IMO, by excluding other people of color they are doing what they claim to be rising up against.  Asian, Indian, and Middle Eastern people have been less represented than even black people have.  So their talk of bonding over being different, while excluding the POC who are different from them just fell flat for me.  

Yeah, that struck me, too. 

Shan needs to go away. 

They  must have warned Erika not to grab that hourglass and smash it til they said so.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

Watched the episode. Maybe Erika will smash the hourglass so hard, we’ll reset to several years ago, when Probst had only begun the journey up his own ass.

Once again, the twists are interesting but too numerous. Erika’s decision could snap back at her regardless of what she does, and  the power to flip a result is too much for anyone. Am I naive to think that the rocks weren’t arranged for this outcome? Erika was on the bottom going into the challenge, and there was no way the winners played RPS to make their decision . . . but I don’t smell bullshit.

22 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I was so afraid that heavy, gigantic ball was going to roll back into the hole onto the people in the hole.  Limbs would have been broken (or worse).  

Would’ve been a great metaphor for the series, AND we’d get the Sisyphus parallel!

I think it’s a good thing I’m only devoting so much brainpower watching. And I’m probably going to relegate it to Thursday evening viewing once The Challenge: All Stars starts up again.

ETA: “Mergatory.” Thanks, Xander!

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5

*for a minute I thought Jeff was going to tell her she could smash the hour glass and all the people who had been voted out would be back and an equal number of current players would be gone

* I did not understand why Liana seems obsessed with getting Xander out. We see him thinking he is in a tight 4. She knows at least 2 other people not in her tribe have idols. Why not be thinking about taking Naseer's idol? 

* the hour glass twist would be more dramatic if most of her tribe was in the losing group and she could "save" them. Then she would definitely smash. But in this case, despite thinking she is on the bottom, there is reason to pause on that.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, keke23 said:

No wonder the man has practically no vocal cords left, with the way he's screaming at everyone during the challenges.  Has he ever been this GO MAN GO SACRIFICE YOUR BODY TO GET UP THAT WALL THAT'S THE WAY YOU DO IT before?  He's turned up to 11 and it's really not necessary to get his points across.

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I really don't see a downside to Erika turning back time. (Does that mean the other six get a feast too?) 

They certainly should, and the rest of the tribe who has already eaten should have to sit and watch, IMO.  Because I'm cranky.

8 hours ago, Steph Sometimes said:

I told you there was an Erika!

When Probst said "Erika," I was like - haha no, you mean Evie, there's no Erika - wait, what?  Who?  There's an Erika?

I love listening to RHAP Know-It-Alls post-show just for the laughs.  But when I am FORCED to listen so I can understand what I just watched, that's another story.  Worse, Rob sometimes doesn't understand it either, nor does Stephen, so they talk it out and try to come to a consensus.  That's not Survivor, it's like seven other game shows/reality shows combined into a watered-down Survivor soup.  I don't like it.  Did I mention I'm cranky?  Fix it, Probst.  Listen to your old-school people on the street for next season, please.  The kids you're trying so hard to impress really don't care.

• LOL 8
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Sort of funny that these players probably thought this alliance was a really big deal just to come home and see The Cookout get all the publicity. 

I am an old school Survivor fan at heart, but the advantages this season so don't annoy me. I was very disappointed when Jeff said no tribal council tonight.  

I don't watch Big Brother and I read the various news sites. I have no clue what happened on Big Brother this year and I would guess most people who don't watch the show have the slightest clue what happened. I did not see any announcements of the winner or any reports on the game play. In all honesty, I would be shocked if there is anything made of Survivor if there was an alliance of all Black players.

10 hours ago, LanceM said:

Agreed. Danny sees that there is a trend of voting out men. He is a male and does not want to be voted out. If there are a group of women who allied and are targeting men then they are jeopardizing Danny's position in the game because he is male. We have heard all the talking heads and open acknowledgment that the ladies on yellow tribe are a woman's alliance and that they are targeting men. It pretty much forces Danny, and others, to organize the men.

Essentially, none of us have a problem with the yellow and green tribe looking to find a way to vote out the blue tribe. There is a clear target of 6 people who have bonds and are a threat to the smaller tribes of 4 and 2. Danny has rightly noticed that the yellow tribe voted out all men and sees that alliance of women as a threat in the same way that the yellow and green tribes can see the blue tribe is a threat.

7 hours ago, eskimo said:

So are Erika and Naseer not considered POC?  I don't mind the 4 aligning, but them talking about always sticking out I would think they'd at least put Naseer and Erika on the periphery of their alliance.  They specifically said POC, but what they meant was black people.  Just say that then.  I have no doubt Erika and Naseer know exactly what it's like to be the only one who looks like you or talks like you.  Especially Naseer, who speaks with a thick accent.  IMO, by excluding other people of color they are doing what they claim to be rising up against.  Asian, Indian, and Middle Eastern people have been less represented than even black people have.  So their talk of bonding over being different, while excluding the POC who are different from them just fell flat for me.  I don't dislike them though (except Shan really bugs in a lot of ways).  Of the 4 I'm rooting for Danny or Liana so far.  Sydney can't go fast enough.  

My observations only here. I have notice in my area that there is a difference in how newer immigrants of color are referred to then Blacks who have generational roots in the US. Various Asian cultures have a different experience in the US, a fair amount of it is not good but still different and as such, Asian Americans are treated/discussed differently. I am well aware that there are many different Asian Cultures but am sort of lumping them together for this brief discussion. The stereotypes associated with Asian immigrants are very different then the stereotypes associated with Blacks in the US. While both groups have had their struggles, and both have seen an increase in hate crimes and problematic language recently, they are different struggles and there are very different outcomes. I tend to think that many people in the US assume that POC applies to Blacks and Hispanics because of the generational poverty that both groups struggle with vs the Asian cultures who have different cultural issues they deal with. For example, very broadly speaking, Blacks and Hispanics are dealing with issues of the educational gaps and housing because of systemic racism that has influenced schools and real estate. Asian cultures are dealing with changes to schools gifted programs that many Asians deem racist because Asians are deemed to be too successful in school and that has led to a decrease in the number of White kids in these programs.

Like I said, my observations only.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, mertensia said:

They  must have warned Erika not to grab that hourglass and smash it til they said so.

They had time while Jeffy changed in to his dry pants after hopping off the pretty boat

• LOL 7
12 hours ago, Melina22 said:

It looked like they were all (not just Xander) working pretty hard to me.

11 hours ago, NYGirl said:

First of all everybody this season has a big mouth!  

This! I think this is what is making the influx of twists/advantages/idols/stupid shit even more hard to take. But also it's funny to me so I don't mind it lol.

11 hours ago, keke23 said:

Same.

10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It's not entertaining watching people starve. Nor is it entertaining seeing half of them get a feast and the other going back to subsist on rice. I don't know why this show thinks it's interesting or makes the game more compelling. 

Every season, people complain about how they don't starve them so there are some fans who want that kinda thing and I guess they're the ones Jeff talked to on the street to get these ideas.

1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I did not understand why Liana seems obsessed with getting Xander out. We see him thinking he is in a tight 4. She knows at least 2 other people not in her tribe have idols. Why not be thinking about taking Naseer's idol? 

I think she is. She mentioned it multiple times in this ep. I am hoping she has realized taking Xande's idol would not be the smart play for her.

ETA: I loved when Danny mentioned being scared of the women taking out the men to Evvie and she was like, "We thought you'd be scared." Very great retort lol.

• Love 2
Just now, peachmangosteen said:

I am hoping she has realized taking Xande's idol would not be the smart play for her.

I am hoping this is all leading up to her taking Shan's idol. That would be quite amusing to me. And to Ricard, probably.

I'm surprised that Shan and Rickard didn't sneak over to Exile and steal the hourglass for themselves!

I am getting older and I find I'm having trouble understanding the convoluted twists Jeff is throwing at us.  I miss the old days...go out and survive..We'll give you rice and that's it.  No idols, no advantages, etc.

How about trying that twist Jeff

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

I think Erika's best move is to smash it if the other team gets a feast.  she would be the hero.  they might reward her for that by keeping her.

I, too, feel for Xander and do not understand their rabid desire to get him out. they'd be in such far worse shape with out him.  I doubt they'd have been able to even get that rock out and forget about the final ladder where he provided the base for all of them.

• Love 10

I usually hate the twists and turns of "new" Survivor but I am finding this season enjoyable (don't ask me why). Maybe Jeff's glee at getting his favorite toy back after a year and a half is contagious? But I swear his evil glee as he talks to the camera is turning him into Survivor's Stewie Griffin.

I hope Erika smashes the glass if only because the naked misogyny of the so-called alpha males on her tribe is disgusting. The two biggest guys in the game have been targeting the smallest woman almost since day one and for no other reason than because she's small and a woman. Fuck them. I want to see those satisfied smirks wiped off their faces. Also, she'd go from the goat to a group that can't wait to get rid of her to a hero to the others. A much better position, IMO.

Shan is exhausting but I don't hate her, I find her amusing. Actually, I don't hate anyone this season, which is pleasant. Some of'em are damn annoying, though (Tiffany, Danny).

Rickard rocked that puzzle.

They could've edited these two eppys down into a tight 90 minutes. But I guess they have a certain number of episodes to deliver.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

If there is one good thing to come out of this crazy, advantage packed, season it is that the new "carte blanche steal-an-idol" power should stop people from flapping their lips about finding idols or getting advantages in the future. 

Was anyone else wondering what was in Jeffy's drawstring bag?  It looked pretty full, but he only pulled that little hourglass out of it.  Then the bag sat there, all lumpy with other stuff.  Was it the Amazon packaging the hourglass came in?  Jeff's botox?  At the very least he could have brought her a sandwich. 

And Erika?  Do it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6