Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05 Halloween

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

The headless ghost appeared! He hasn't been written out after all! He walked by in the background while Sam and Jay talked to the police inside the house.

The police actually remembered Sam and Jay burning their canoe earlier. Nice continuity. I was surprised by Trevor actually taking Pete's side and then starting the slow clap. Poor ghosts, all punished even though it was just some of the ghosts that lied about the gazebo.

• Love 17

"There's going to be a lot of Carole Baskins hooking up with Baby Yodas this year." XD. 

22 minutes ago, Cress said:

I was surprised by Trevor actually taking Pete's side and then starting the slow clap.

"Are you slow clapping your own speech?"

"Damn right, they haven't seen an Eighties movie and you didn't start it, so I have to." 

That was a genuinely good speech, though, I will agree. It is a shame that everyone got punished for the actions of a few, but I guess just the fact they were all even discussing the idea of getting back at the kids in the first place at all was enough for Sam to put her foot down. Though, yes, clearly she was regretting that decision to some extent by the end :p. 

I'm also sad that the gazebo was burned down just 'cause it looked cool. Maybe they can put up a new one? 

I liked all the ghosts watching Ghostbusters, and their reactions to the movie. Especially from those who remembered seeing it when it originally came out. 

Maybe next year they can have their own big blowout Halloween party there. The place is certainly big enough for such an event :)! 

• Love 11

Why does Thorfinn watch the Indian guy when he "plays" with himself? 😵

Edit: never mind, upon a re-watch I realized that Thorfinn  said that he watched the indian have sex while he was alive, not the other thing 🤣. It makes a lot more sense now.

Edited by Harvey
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

This was a fun episode. They didn't go the usual route of ghost being able to be seen on Halloween. 

I almost bought Sassapis' story of him being an accountant in a Halloween costume. Lol

Having them watch Ghostbusters and having it hit different since they are ghosts now was also great. 

I think my favorite part was all the ghosts slow clapping to Trevor's speech how they wouldve clapped in their time. Alberta clapping to a beat and Thorfin looking around to see what everyone else is doing since he wouldn't know what clapping is. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

The headless ghost is still around, I saw him wander past the cops! 

That was a really fun Halloween episode, I especially loved the ghosts becoming increasingly horrified by Ghostbusters and that it inspired Trevor, of all people, to do the right thing. "I used to think Venkman was a hero, but really he's a war criminal." 

I almost bought Sassapis' story, he really is a story teller. 

Nice continuity with the cops finding the burned up canoe and remembering Sam and Jay. And that Jay started out feeling bummed out that he was missing lots of big city Halloween fun, but ended up deciding that having ghosts burn down your gazebo by your haunted house is an amazing Halloween. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 16

Jay started out feeling bummed out that he was missing lots of big city Halloween fun, but ended up deciding that having ghosts burn down your gazebo by your haunted house is an amazing Halloween. 

He's right. He's very cool for the "husband of a ghost whisperer" character. I wonder if he will try to figure out how to communicate with them? 

Also, I meant to add that some B&Bs have an in-house restaurant that's also a "destination" restaurant. Especially in places like the Hudson Valley. (Is that where the mansion is?) That actually could be a more realistic development because B&Bs don't really make that much money (as many people who sunk their retirement savings into them found out.) Hey, I used to be a travel editor.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I almost bought Sassapis' story of him being an account in a Halloween costume. Lol

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I almost bought Sassapis' story, he really is a story teller. 

I know!  For a second there, I thought this show was going to pull a The Good Place move where Jason went from silent, enigmatic, buddhist monk to spacey, petty-criminal surfer dude when Sassapis said he was an accountant in costume.   I was all "NooooOOOOoooo!!!  I love his sarcastic and acerbic Algonquin warrior character!"  Then it turns out he was being sarcastic and acerbic and all was right again.

This show is full of subtleties, which I think are fantastic.  I don't know if everyone caught it, because it was very quick, but right after Hetty mentioned having "comely ankles", before they cut away to the next scene, you see horndog Trevor's face briefly popping into view from the side, intently staring down at Hetty's feet.  That totally cracked me up.  So I caught that one, but it makes me wonder what else I'm missing.  Like the headless ghost!

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Harvey said:

He's bored?  And possibly a switch-hitter?  I mean, were Vikings really all that particular?

I really loved this episode, especially the Ghostbusters stuff.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Harvey said:

Edit: never mind, upon a re-watch I realized that Thorfinn  said that he watched the indian have sex while he was alive, not the other thing 🤣. It makes a lot more sense now.

That's what I thought too.

2 hours ago, kwnyc said:

He's right. He's very cool for the "husband of a ghost whisperer" character. I wonder if he will try to figure out how to communicate with them? 

Also, I meant to add that some B&Bs have an in-house restaurant that's also a "destination" restaurant. Especially in places like the Hudson Valley. (Is that where the mansion is?) That actually could be a more realistic development because B&Bs don't really make that much money (as many people who sunk their retirement savings into them found out.) Hey, I used to be a travel editor.

I hope they find a way to let Jay see the ghosts. I really, really hate the quick cuts from ghost-in-the-room to no-ghosts-in-the-room when switching perspectives from Sam to Jay.

A restaurant would be a great idea, but is the property zoned for commercial use? A B&B would be one thing, but would a full restaurant be something else? There are neighbors close enough to walk over.

Supposedly, the ghosts are in the clothes they died in, correct? So did Hetty and the singer die suddenly while fully dressed? Trevor presumably died with his pants undone for some reason (likely sexual in nature), the scoutmaster was shot in the neck, so we see the arrow. If the Revolutionary War soldier died of dysentery, it's likely he wouldn't be in his full uniform, so why is he? The show's "ghosting" rules are very inconsistent.

I'm watching, but I'm still not really liking it.

• Love 2

The singer was poisoned after a show and died quickly before changing.  Hetty is always in full dress, it's only proper.  The soldier knew he was dying soon and insisted on being in full uniform to impress the other soldiers.  At least, that's what Sassapis told me.  He's very convincing.

Does Jay believe that Samantha can see ghosts?  I thought he did, but in this episode, he said something about her pretending to hear her imaginary friends.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

I really enjoyed this episode.  The ghosts watching "Ghostbusters" was a great touch.

I also almost bought Sassapis' story.  

I hoped, though, that Samantha would blame faulty wiring -- they'd just put up the lights, after all, so it would be far more plausible than a lit cigarette.  

I don't know whether or not I want Jay to be able to see and communicate directly with the ghosts.  I don't think I do just yet anyway.  Maybe someday.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Johann said:

The singer was poisoned after a show and died quickly before changing.  Hetty is always in full dress, it's only proper.  The soldier knew he was dying soon and insisted on being in full uniform to impress the other soldiers.  At least, that's what Sassapis told me.  He's very convincing.

Does Jay believe that Samantha can see ghosts?  I thought he did, but in this episode, he said something about her pretending to hear her imaginary friends.

Hehe. All very reasonable explanations. Though most of the ghosts actually believe Alberta died from a heart attack, not poisoning despite Alberta's insistence of a more interesting death. 

I sort of wonder if Trevor was shot in his nether regions and died from bleeding out. We wouldn't see the wound since that area gets pixelated out (as shown in a previous episode). Though I supposed it's more likely to have been from an overdose, so no wound. I was not surprised at Trevor siding with Pete due to their budding bromance. I like the peeks into the ghosts' relationships with each other. 

Yes Jay believes her, he was joking. Everything else he says and does reflects him believing and supporting her. 

I liked the touch of the ghosts having eavesdropped on the kids. Though the the couple still being together since last Halloween was surprising considering the kids' ages and the tendency for drama around then. 
Also since the kids didn't start the fire, that leaves that threat still on the table. I'm curious what they'll cook up, since the writers of this show do seem to keep tabs on continuity like that.

I personally like the switches of perspectives between Jay and Sam. Especially the quiet vs noise. I did wonder how long before Sam would kick out Hetty and Alberta, but then the episode ended.

I think it may be awhile before Jay can communicate with them. However, they could have minimal ways to do so, like having buttons out similar to that viral cat video; buttons to press for common words or phrases. 

• Love 10

I still really like this show. It's cute and light, which is a nice contrast from some of the other stuff I watch.

Sassapis almost got me with his story about being an accountant who died in costume, he really is a good storyteller. I cracked up when he was counting the number of times he had sex and was all "43! That's a number that's so specific it can't be made up!"

Trevor starting his own slow clap, looking slyly at Hetty's "comely ankles", and changing his attitude towards Ghostbusters made him my favorite ghost of the week. And I've really come to like Jay, he's grown a lot since the first few episodes where I wasn't sure his whiny husband act would work or not. He is very "go along with the weirdness" and I like that about him. 

• Love 16
On 10/29/2021 at 1:54 PM, HurricaneVal said:

So I caught that one, but it makes me wonder what else I'm missing.  Like the headless ghost!

I'm starting to feel a little like Jay. I've never seen the headless ghost. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 1

For everyone saying that Sassapis "almost" got them... I'll just admit it.  He got me.  Fully.  I was right there with Sam, with the shocked "no!", and then he fessed up.  Yep.  He got me.  OK, the writers got me.  But damn, that actor really delivered it.  Because in that quick second it explained why he's so modern.  Of course, if I had a minute to think about it I would have realized it couldn't be true, because the other ghosts all know he's been around before them (except Thor, who watched Sassapis have sex, many times).  But that's why the quick "just kidding" reveal was perfect, they didn't give us time to overthink it. 

I was hoping Sam & Jay would use the ghosts to convince the kids that they are psychic, just to freak them out a bit. 

Outfits - yes, the ghosts are stuck in what they were wearing and how they looked when they died.  They can't change their clothes or their hairstyle or anything.  I don't think it's been revealed how Hattie died, right? 

Anyone watching this show that has HBO Max really should watch the UK version.  All 3 seasons (which, true to form for Brit shows, only have 6 -7 episodes each) are there.  If you don't have HBO Max, rent it from your library or whatever.  The compare/contrast is fun.  Warning for the UK thread - it's just a single thread, so you can easily get spoiled. 

ETA:  I didn't even notice that Flower wasn't in this episode.  Didn't even miss her.  Now, I think it would be really funny to find out she is actually an accountant...

Edited by chaifan
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Anyone watching this show that has HBO Max really should watch the UK version.  All 3 seasons (which, true to form for Brit shows, only have 6 -7 episodes each) are there.  If you don't have HBO Max, rent it from your library or whatever.  The compare/contrast is fun.  Warning for the UK thread - it's just a single thread, so you can easily get spoiled. 

I’ve been avoiding both watching the British version as well as looking at the compare/contrast thread because I don’t want to be spoiled. 
Would I be correct in assuming it would be “safe” to watch at least the first UK series after this first season of the US version is completed?

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’ve been avoiding both watching the British version as well as looking at the compare/contrast thread because I don’t want to be spoiled. 
Would I be correct in assuming it would be “safe” to watch at least the first UK series after this first season of the US version is completed?

In my opinion, yes, you're safe to watch the UK version, all of the seasons if you want.  The pilot episode tracks very much the same, but after that (so far) the US episodes have not tracked the UK ones.  Most of the ghosts are different, but there are a few character overlaps, and I think the biggest risk is finding out those ghosts' backstories before the US show gets to them.  But for all I know, the US show will give them different backstories, so it may not be an issue at all.  I would avoid the compare/contrast thread until you're done if you don't want spoilers.  ("Spoilers" here is probably an overstatement - there's barely any story line that could be "spoiled".)  If you're an absolute purist and don't want any chance of knowing anything that might happen in the US show before it airs, then hold off on the UK version. 

I actually think I'm enjoying the US version more because I've seen the UK version.  I'm appreciating the differences in both the characters and the story lines.  Guessing what will be kept and what will be different is part of the fun for me.  YMMV.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

In my opinion, yes, you're safe to watch the UK version, all of the seasons if you want.  The pilot episode tracks very much the same, but after that (so far) the US episodes have not tracked the UK ones.  Most of the ghosts are different, but there are a few character overlaps, and I think the biggest risk is finding out those ghosts' backstories before the US show gets to them.  But for all I know, the US show will give them different backstories, so it may not be an issue at all.  I would avoid the compare/contrast thread until you're done if you don't want spoilers.  ("Spoilers" here is probably an overstatement - there's barely any story line that could be "spoiled".)  If you're an absolute purist and don't want any chance of knowing anything that might happen in the US show before it airs, then hold off on the UK version. 

I actually think I'm enjoying the US version more because I've seen the UK version.  I'm appreciating the differences in both the characters and the story lines.  Guessing what will be kept and what will be different is part of the fun for me.  YMMV.

I agree wholeheartedly with Chaifan

I'm so glad that I did watch the first three season's of the UK version and I'm eagerly awaiting the Boxing Day finale for season 3 which for me has been the best season so far.  I'm enjoying both versions and like Chaifan watching to see the changes, some for the better in the US version, such as the husband interacting with the ghosts which he's never done in the UK in all three years.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I think you are safe to watch the UK version, the only ghost that has a similar counterpart is Pete and we got his backstory. The UK couple is also very different then the this one. The other ghosts have only a few similarities but this version has already gone a different direction with them. It's only 6 to 7 episodes per season so it's a quick watch for 3 seasons. 

The cast from the UK version are producers for this one so they have some involvement. I think they'd want people to watch both series. Lol

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode partly from the ghosts interacting in smaller groups - Alberta, Pete and Trevor watching a "talkie" together while the others went on watch for the enemy in the gazebo and then the movie group figuring out the lie about the fire so quickly. 

I loved Thor being so tough but then folding like a wet noodle to implicate the others when he was going to get in trouble for the fire.   Also loved all the ghosts reacting like kids when the no tv punishment was imposed. 

I am almost afraid to like this show as much as I do for fear of jinxing it but I hope it goes on for several seasons. 

• Love 8

Listening to Alberta, Pete, and Trevor make comments and ask questions about “Ghostbusters” reminded me of here. Why are they green and what kind of things died and made those ghosts? Why would they put the ghosts in a trap? They’re just trying to live their afterlives, eating discarded food off people’s trays. What harm are they doing? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

(paraphrased)

Sassapis: "I died in 1995. I'm an accountant and my name is Mike"

Sam: Really?

Sass: No!!! I'm 500 years old

Sam: Good one

Sass: Storyteller (with a little wink)

Its the wink that had me rolling on the floor😂😂😂😎

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

This was a cute episode. I love the StepBrothers costume.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, Kiddvideo said:

Listening to Alberta, Pete, and Trevor make comments and ask questions about “Ghostbusters” reminded me of here. Why are they green and what kind of things died and made those ghosts? Why would they put the ghosts in a trap? They’re just trying to live their afterlives, eating discarded food off people’s trays. What harm are they doing? 

Yes this was true!

I am glad Jay enjoyed his Halloween in an actual haunted house!

• Love 3
(edited)

Do ghosts get sick? Flower wasn't part of the Halloween festivities at all, and Sasappis wasn't at the dinner party last week.

Isaac using Hetty, Sasappis and Thor to be his army to stand guard surrounding the perimeter of the property cracked me up; this is the second week in a row that Thor's been recruited to be a bouncer or a guard of some sort. I wonder if that will become a recurring event :)

Jay just continues to be awesome. Wondering how the ghosts burned down the gazebo (the ghosts' casual reaction to the initial fire made me laugh), casually sucking on a lollipop while Sam chastised and punished the ghosts, and deciding at the end that their life in New York wasn't boring and having their ghosts burn down their gazebo in front of their haunted house is so much cooler than a rooftop party in the meatpacking district. 

I also loved the blink-and-you-miss-it split second "uh-oh, this is bad" look between the gazebo group when Sam yelled at Jay outside about how it was her fault she took Jay away from all their friends and all the parties, and called the kid's mommies, and said she was sorry she was so horrible before storming off. It's so evident that despite the ghosts' behavior this episode they care about their Livings and want them to be happy, and Sam and Jay both care about them too. Jay was totally cool going without television for a week so they could properly punish nine ghosts that he can't see or hear. 

(I like the progression this week that Jay is starting to speak to the ghosts, knowing Sam will have to translate for him.)

Thor has apparently watched Sasappis and his lady friends have relations! LMAO.

Edited by LexieLily
Why didn't anyone tell me I spelled 'perimeter' wrong?
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

and deciding at the end that their life in New York wasn't boring and having their ghosts burn down their gazebo in front of their haunted house is so much cooler than a rooftop party in the meatpacking district. 

I would 100% rather spend Halloween in a haunted house where ghosts burn down my gazebo (but aren't like The Conjuring type ghosts) rather than at some hipster meatpacking roof party, especially if Jay is there.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Do ghosts get sick? Flower wasn't part of the Halloween festivities at all, and Sasappis wasn't at the dinner party last week.

Haha, yeah, I remember people commenting on this in some of the early episodes, how one ghost or another was always missing. Does make one wonder what they were off doing - it would've been fun for them to be at those respective events, for sure. 

Isaac using Hetty, Sasappis and Thor to be his army to stand guard surrounding the permitter of the property cracked me up; 

It was so fun to see him in full on "military leader" mode this episode :p. And yet I also love the way he admitted to Sam what really happened with the gazebo - he runs up, quickly tells her the kids are innocent and the ghosts are the ones who burned the thing down, and then he's just like, "Okay, carry on!" and scampers off :p. 

Jay just continues to be awesome. Wondering how the ghosts burned down the gazebo (the ghosts' casual reaction to the initial fire made me laugh), casually sucking on a lollipop while Sam chastised and punished the ghosts, and deciding at the end that their life in New York wasn't boring and having their ghosts burn down their gazebo in front of their haunted house is so much cooler than a rooftop party in the meatpacking district. 

He really is the best :). It can't be said enough how great he is at learning how to just roll with everything. 

I loved that his conversation with Sam over what to do about the kids egging the house gave us a glimpse into what they'd be like if they had a kid of their own. Their ghost children are like practice for them :p!

I also loved the blink-and-you-miss-it split second "uh-oh, this is bad" look between the gazebo group when Sam yelled at Jay outside about how it was her fault she took Jay away from all their friends and all the parties, and called the kid's mommies, and said she was sorry she was so horrible before storming off. It's so evident that despite the ghosts' behavior this episode they care about their Livings and want them to be happy, and Sam and Jay both care about them too. Jay was totally cool going without television for a week so they could properly punish nine ghosts that he can't see or hear. 

That's one of the best things about this show, watching how they all come to genuinely care about each other over time :). Even when they tried to cover up what they'd done, it was clear the guilt was still eating away at them. 

Thor has apparently watched Sasappis and his lady friends have relations! LMAO.

Sasappis' "...wait, what?" reaction to that cracks me up every time XD. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

It was so fun to see him in full on "military leader" mode this episode :p. And yet I also love the way he admitted to Sam what really happened with the gazebo - he runs up, quickly tells her the kids are innocent and the ghosts are the ones who burned the thing down, and then he's just like, "Okay, carry on!" and scampers off :p. 

At first I wondered why it wasn't Thor telling the truth to Sam and Jay what happened to the gazebo, considering it was technically his fault, but reading this about Isaac being in full military mode - as a military leader you are in charge of and ultimately responsible for the actions and behaviors of your troops. That's probably why Isaac took the fall for the rest of them, only it backfired when Sam punished everyone :) 

Do the other ghosts have a show they like(d) as much as Isaac like(d) "British Bake-Off"? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

At first I wondered why it wasn't Thor telling the truth to Sam and Jay what happened to the gazebo, considering it was technically his fault, but reading this about Isaac being in full military mode - as a military leader you are in charge of and ultimately responsible for the actions and behaviors of your troops. That's probably why Isaac took the fall for the rest of them, only it backfired when Sam punished everyone :) 

....ohhhhhhh. 

OH. I really like this analysis. A lot. That makes perfect sense. Yes :D <3.  

Do the other ghosts have a show they like(d) as much as Isaac like(d) "British Bake-Off"? 

Just wait'll you see the next episode, I'll just put it that way :D. 

I had no idea who/what Sam and Jay were dressed as, so I'm glad several of you mentioned it (I still had to go look Step Brothers up, but at least I had a title rather than trying to use "who did sam and jay dress up as for halloween on ghosts" as my search). 

I laughed so hard at Sasappis saying he was actually an accountant, he died on Halloween in this costume.  That was brilliant.

I like that when Sam told the kid's mom what he did to them/the house, she dragged him over to apologize rather than yelling at them not to pick on her son.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I laughed so hard at Sasappis saying he was actually an accountant, he died on Halloween in this costume.  That was brilliant.

My favorite ghost varies by ep, but Sasappis is always up in the top three. Love his quick wit. The great thing about that line is that it would have been fun if it were true and it's just as fun that it's not true. That, and Trevor, are also a cautionary tale. Be careful what you wear as you might be stuck in it for all eternity if you don't get sucked off. (yeah, that still makes me giggle and I've seen the entire show at least twice (cough, three, four) times. 

• Like 2