Type keyword(s) to search

S9.E20: The Here & Now

druzy
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, TheRealT said:

And what made it all so much worse for me was that I felt like C & T were doing it for a storyline on the show. Neither of them strikes me as thoughtful enough for it to occur to them to try to change their child's behavior except to eliminate behaviors that are annoying for C & T. The binky is the opposite, a simple thing that keeps the kid out of their hair sometimes. I don't see why either of them would even think to "wean" Vaeda from the binky. It's not like they read about in a parenting magazine or heard about it from a friend in a moms group. I think the only rationale they expressed was Ty saying, "Who wants their kid using a binky when they're [some age]?!" [in that super cool and funny way he has. why hasn't he been swooped up to star in a sitcom yet?!]

I think they were trying to come up with some kind of "Vaeda's going to be a big sister now. How will that affect her?" storyline (like Nova's last week) and the binky thing seemed like a good idea. Since they're morons and horrible parents, it was the best they could come up with and they didn't even think to look up any information about how to support your child in making that transition. I'm sure they thought the storyline would make them relatable to "normal" parents, but, like all their attempts to appear "normal," just-- no.

It's gotten to the point where all of the OGs + Mackenzie have resorted to a strategy of using their kids' challenges and life events as content so they can maintain their own privacy. It's disgusting. Cheyenne's Party of the Week storylines are annoying and boring, but at least she's not exploiting her kids (as much).

They surely can't get many new story lines sitting on the couch!  No jobs, no work, no giving back.  Just them, baby daddies and those poor kids!

Not one of them seems to have the sense God gave a goose!

• Love 5
On 10/28/2021 at 12:03 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

It is sad. The only job Tyler has is to parent. He doesn't work and he has hours of nothing to do. The least he could have done is read up on some parenting tips and figure out a way to gently break Vaeda from the binky. She didn't have to go cold turkey...the lack of any kind of comforting of her or explaining why she was having the binky taken away was wrong and totally uncalled for. The more I see of these two, the more I dislike them. Vaeda already seems like a child in distress...now they're having a third child that Tyler is less than excited about because it's not the boy that he whines about wanting. Cate seems ambivalent. This show is not longer serving it's original purpose...a cautionary tale about unprotected sex and teenagers...now it's just a depressing show with spoiled, unproductive adults that have no skills or post high school education. Time to cut these people loose.

Actually it's way past time!  But as long as people watch and sponsors pay the show will go on!

A paying sponsor is everything in tv land.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Actually it's way past time!  But as long as people watch and sponsors pay the show will go on!

A paying sponsor is everything in tv land.

Nyah nyah nyah, my satellite dish has never been connected to the mothership, so nobody knows I watch this shit.  And I have vowed that if this ever changes, and my viewing somehow gets logged, this show (as well as an embarrassing number of others) will never darken my screen again. 

12 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I'm pissed off because I am a complete brick and mortar snob and find myself defending UOP because I know too many people who did mid-life masters programs there and got good jobs and promotions.  I'm petty, I know. 

I do think there's a place for programs like this, for people who have commitments (like jobs) that make it difficult to take a year off to get an advanced degree in a field in which they want to advance.  And the more who do it, the more likely it is that a person who's done it is in a hiring position, and will hire others who have done it.  So these degrees could be getting even more valuable.

For undergraduate degrees, I'm a brick and mortar snob, too, because I think the experience can be as important as the book learning.  But I understand that even undergraduate online degrees might work for the right person.  I don't think Amber is that person, and it's just a way for her to "go to Purdue" without leaving the couch.

I partly blame Covid.  If this had been in 2019, it would be hard to argue you're going to Purdue without setting foot on campus, or at the very least Purdue Global would have stood out as something different from Purdue University.  But since so many regular colleges went online during Covid, it could be hard for an inexperienced person to tell the difference.

That said, I might have to cut Amber some slack, due to ignorance.  I just looked at Purdue Global's "about" page on its website, and first of all, the headline is "Innovative Education for Working Adults."  Ahem, Amber.  No job, almost zero family commitments, and a commutable 60 miles from Lafayette.

Anyway, the website says this: "Purdue Global is part of the respected Purdue University system. One of the most prestigious research universities in the world, Purdue University is ranked in the top 10 best public universities in the U.S. by The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education.†"  That footnote?  In minuscule print, it cites some website for university rankings, and adds, "Rankings apply to Purdue University West Lafayette and not to Purdue Global."  That's some sheisty shit there.

And then the Purdue Global page has the gall to talk about the proud tradition of Purdue athletics:  "Today, Purdue competes in the Big Ten Conference—the preeminent collection of institutions in the nation..."  Yes, it does.  And what does that have to do with Purdue Global

https://www.purdueglobal.edu/about/about-purdue-global/

The irony of all of this is that a college education, in the way I think of college educations, would train a person to notice things and think about them, which would make them less susceptible to marketing ploys like this one.  Of course in this instance by the time you gain those skills, it's too late. 

So while it irks me no end that Amber says she's going to Purdue and is wearing a Purdue sweatshirt, it might not be entirely her fault.  Which irks me even more.

My condolences to Purdue alumni.  I'd be embarrassed.  And this is coming from someone with a degree from the University of Southern California!  🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Mackenzie, Tyler and Leah all seem to be cut from the same cloth in that they want to make viewers and their children very aware of that they are PARENTING, damnit. So they purposefully explain to us what they are doing and Leah acts like she is filming how to videos with her kids and the chats at the picnic table. 

What they all fail to realize is that as long as you put your kid’s shit and problems out there for public consumption because you would rather do that than work a 9-5 like we all do, you are automatically a shitty parent.

The world does not need to know Bentley’s dad doesn’t care about a relationship with him, that Leah is estranged from her mother (and this goes for Gary, Amber and Kristina), Nova needs speech therapy, and that Mackenzie’s kids all have issues. 

I am finding myself more put off by Cheyenne than any of them, too. Whoever said earlier they act like The Challenge is a deployment was spot on. 

There is NO WAY Mackenzie’s kids are not troubled. Mom to 3, including rambunctious boys. Just naming the kid Broncs gave him a head start. But him wallowing all over a stranger like that? Saying the daughter is “just 7” in first grade? First graders are supposed to be 6 and 7, correct?  When ALL of your kids are having issues brought up to you by the school, that is a big deal. 

• Love 13
On 10/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, TheRealT said:

Bentley's Orange Mullet is literally the most interesting aspect of Maci's story, yet they haven't addressed it at all. I would much rather hear about BOM- whose idea was it? how and when was it executed? what kind of reaction does it get?- than listen to Maci drone on about her alleged PTSD.

Why did Cate and Ty have a third child? Well, I know why, but every one of their segments screams "PLEASE DON'T HAVE ANY MORE KIDS!!!" It seems like they barely interact with either of the kids they have, though they do chat with Nova a bit more now that she's older. Vaeda, like Nova when she was younger, always seems to be running around screaming in the background while her parents melt into the couch glued to their phones.

I’m LOLing because of this post . I agree , can they please discuss the mullet and what century they think this is 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 10/27/2021 at 11:33 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

Right? How many parties has she had or has her family had for her since she's been on this show? It's really over the top. Of course they'll have a huge ass engagement party next. Her parents are poster parents for how to make your daughter an obnoxious princess/diva...I'm not sure that ring was big enough for her...she acted like she liked it but she wasn't swooning. This poor schmo Zach will never measure up for her...he'll never be Cory.

Yeah I’m not convinced she’s in love with Zack . I think if Corey wanted to be with her , she’d drop Zack like a hot potato . Also , that was not a baby sprinkle . That was a baby hurricane and I am so curious how wealthy that family is . They have big blowout parties almost weekly . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Bentley always seems so ‘on guard’ any time Maci talks to him about anything. I think he’s been quite embarrassed by her and I’m wondering if his therapist has spoken to her about that because she seems to be giving him a little break. 

• Love 5
On 10/31/2021 at 12:30 PM, lilmarysunshine said:

But him wallowing all over a stranger like that?

I wanted her to just throw him on the floor and she was probably thinking about it.

Edited by Mr. Miner
  • Love 4
On 10/31/2021 at 12:30 PM, lilmarysunshine said:

There is NO WAY Mackenzie’s kids are not troubled. Mom to 3, including rambunctious boys. Just naming the kid Broncs gave him a head start. But him wallowing all over a stranger like that? Saying the daughter is “just 7” in first grade? First graders are supposed to be 6 and 7, correct?  When ALL of your kids are having issues brought up to you by the school, that is a big deal. 

Yeah, and I know different counties, different rules about birthdays but my kids were 7 in 2nd grade.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jax7917 said:

I’m LOLing because of this post . I agree , can they please discuss the mullet and what century they think this is 

I don't know why mullets are in again with the kids at least. They still look terrible! Don't y'all know we decided they were not a good look a long time ago? It's one of those things you look back on and say "what were people thinking?" Lol

My boyfriend's 15 year old nephew is sporting one now. Someone out there said it was trendy and that's what we're doing again I guess. It's stupid to me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jax7917 said:

Yeah I’m not convinced she’s in love with Zack . I think if Corey wanted to be with her , she’d drop Zack like a hot potato . Also , that was not a baby sprinkle . That was a baby hurricane and I am so curious how wealthy that family is . They have big blowout parties almost weekly . 

Have they EVER even mentioned Covid in the midst of all of these parties? They have a child with medical issues and so does at least one of their friends. WTF MTV at filming all of this.

52 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Bentley always seems so ‘on guard’ any time Maci talks to him about anything. I think he’s been quite embarrassed by her and I’m wondering if his therapist has spoken to her about that because she seems to be giving him a little break. 

I would be too if I were a pre teen and my mom insisted on continuing to exploit me on National TV. Maci, get a fucking job and support your kids without the help of MTV.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

Heh hurricane, I agree. 

Let's face it this show has devolved into young mothers who have become reality stars  trying to think of storylines for MTV.   In that light, I appreciate Cheyenne the most this season; I'd much rather watch a celebration of anything  than Amber on her sofa whining into her phone or Mackenzie's and that lump Josh's  seriously messed up parenting.  I find these creative happy parties preferable Maci exploiting Bentley, and watching Catelyn take a dozen pregnancy tests with a cup of pee on the kitchen counter while Tyler loudly expresses his desire for a boy. 

Pre-covid didn't Cheyenne work as an event planner?   Makes sense she would continue with what she knows.  As far as Covid protocols, if I lived in sunny southern California we would have had a lot more outdoor entertaining especially after everyone being vaccinated.   Plus, Ryder is darling. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

Heh hurricane, I agree. 

Let's face it this show has devolved into young mothers who have become reality stars  trying to think of storylines for MTV.   In that light, I appreciate Cheyenne the most this season; I'd much rather watch a celebration of anything  than Amber on her sofa whining into her phone or Mackenzie's and that lump Josh's  seriously messed up parenting.  I find these creative happy parties preferable Maci exploiting Bentley, and watching Catelyn take a dozen pregnancy tests with a cup of pee on the kitchen counter while Tyler loudly expresses his desire for a boy. 

Pre-covid didn't Cheyenne work as an event planner?   Makes sense she would continue with what she knows.  As far as Covid protocols, if I lived in sunny southern California we would have had a lot more outdoor entertaining especially after everyone being vaccinated.   Plus, Ryder is darling. 

Are they following Covid protocols though? Corey was prohibited from attending his reunion because he refused to get vaccinated.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Are they following Covid protocols though? Corey was prohibited from attending his reunion because he refused to get vaccinated.

Oh, I did not know that.   😳  

I don't know the timeline for the filming of this show but I'm pretty sure vaccines were available to everyone over 18 during the last few episodes.   I mostly meant keeping gatherings small and outdoors. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
30 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

Oh, I did not know that.   😳  

I don't know the timeline for the filming of this show but I'm pretty sure vaccines were available to everyone over 18 during the few episodes.   I mostly meant keeping gatherings small and outdoors. 

No way he stayed 6 ft from his at risk child at all times though, is there?

• Love 2