Type keyword(s) to search

Houses With History - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This is a new HGTV program which shows renovations of antique houses on the South Shore of Massachusetts.  The team really does a beautiful job, and the bits and pieces of history about each house are really interesting.  

• Useful 1

I love that they're not only saving some of these houses from being torn down and replaced with big white boxes, but they're also restoring them with real thought and good design. The history alongside is pretty interesting, though all decidedly one sided and a bit too Euro (read White) centric, but in many ways that can't be helped. I look forward to more episodes and more interesting design. 

• Love 4

Glad there is a forum for this show. I really find it interesting.  I admit I even google the houses on zillow and google maps to find out more about them.  The last episode house, that they remodeled for the owners, is right in a business area.  Lovely old house, but not the best location.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I've really enjoyed this show, more so because I live close to where they are, so a lot of the homes they work on are in surrounding towns (I actually caught of friend in my in one of the eps). There are so many houses like these all around here, and it's sad to see them fall into disrepair and get knocked down for newer homes or developments. And I really like that they focus on local artisans; the Sandwich Glass Museum is a fantastic place to visit and see how the blow the glass to make such beautiful pieces. They make it look so easy. I'm hoping the ratings are good enough for another season-there are certainly enough houses to choose from!

• Love 6

Yay, other people are watching! 

I totally love this show and would be surprised if it doesn't get a following.  It reminds me of American Pickers when it first started, when they all liked one another.  It really checks all the boxes and hearing the history is fascinating.

• Love 5

I am really enjoying this show a lot!   I only wish that they would show the entire houses, before and after.  Regardless of what they personally restored.  The last house, with the new master bathroom, I wanted to see the other rooms of the house.  Didn't like the new bed in the master, preferred the four poster.  Mike is a hottie, Jennifer better watch out, hahaha.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pine said:

I am really enjoying this show a lot!   I only wish that they would show the entire houses, before and after.  Regardless of what they personally restored.  The last house, with the new master bathroom, I wanted to see the other rooms of the house.  Didn't like the new bed in the master, preferred the four poster.  Mike is a hottie, Jennifer better watch out, hahaha.  

I really enjoyed that last house with the master bedroom reno and two master baths added, but the closets were a major disappointment. Just a row of doors with hanging rods behind them and a slanted ceiling that left no room for shelves above the rods. The closets looked so narrow that I hope there is room to close the doors when garments are hung on hangers in them.

• Love 2

I am really enjoying this show. I love the New England slant and the  history lessons that Mike gives. I like the episode where the people from Farm House Fixers showed up.  Both of these shows are my new favorites on HGTV.

• Love 5

I have been checking and can't find out anything on a new season. I sure hope that this show comes back on. Same goes for Farmhouse Fixer and Bargain block.  I am so sick of the same few shows that they are showing over and over. 

According to an article I came across, "New York [April 21, 2022] HGTV has ordered eight new one-hour episodes of Houses with History starring history buff Mike Lemieux, carpenter Rich Soares and designer Jen Macdonald. During the series, which attracted nearly 14 million viewers in its freshman season."   https://premieredate.news/tv-series/7681-houses-with-history.html

I'm thrilled with the number of viewers, but if it had this many why couldn't it start its next season in the fall, a year after the first season?  Why did it take so long to be renewed?  I think I've only seen positive comments about it, anywhere.  I also like the fact that these dedicated preservationists will receive network money to further their work.

• Love 4
On 5/6/2022 at 1:19 AM, sagittarius sue said:

According to an article I came across, "New York [April 21, 2022] HGTV has ordered eight new one-hour episodes of Houses with History starring history buff Mike Lemieux, carpenter Rich Soares and designer Jen Macdonald. During the series, which attracted nearly 14 million viewers in its freshman season."   https://premieredate.news/tv-series/7681-houses-with-history.html

I'm thrilled with the number of viewers, but if it had this many why couldn't it start its next season in the fall, a year after the first season?  Why did it take so long to be renewed?  I think I've only seen positive comments about it, anywhere.  I also like the fact that these dedicated preservationists will receive network money to further their work.

I can only think that what held them up is what held up a lot of things - CoVid

Looking firward to seeing this show again. Very interesting with the historical insights.

• Love 4

Did anyone watch the latest one? This show is so good, wonder why it isn’t more popular. I love this & Restored because unlike other reno shows, they have a lot of respect for keeping the beautiful & irreplaceable original features intact & not turning a vintage home into an open concept modern house . So sad. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Did anyone watch the latest one? This show is so good, wonder why it isn’t more popular. I love this & Restored because unlike other reno shows, they have a lot of respect for keeping the beautiful & irreplaceable original features intact & not turning a vintage home into an open concept modern house . So sad. 

The latest one had to be from the season 1 which aired in fall of 2021.  The show is extremely popular, and I don't think HGTV realized how popular it might be.  Doing a search I found they were searching for houses to restore in January 2022, and announced the renewal in April.  We'll probably see the next season premiere around April 2023.  The show is essentially three people doing all the work, and I imagine it would take this long for them to complete eight episodes.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

The latest one had to be from the season 1 which aired in fall of 2021.  The show is extremely popular, and I don't think HGTV realized how popular it might be.  Doing a search I found they were searching for houses to restore in January 2022, and announced the renewal in April.  We'll probably see the next season premiere around April 2023.  The show is essentially three people doing all the work, and I imagine it would take this long for them to complete eight episodes.

It did say it was season one. But I don’t remember seeing any of this! Can’t wait for April.

• Like 2
(edited)

Per my TV cable schedule episode 2-1 is scheduled on Saturday for 8:00 p.m. ET, and then an episode just labelled S2 at 9:00 p.m. ET  It appears that HGTV doesn't care much about this show as I haven't seen any ads on TV, and no recent tweets.  I imagine we'll have this season, and that will be the end of it.

Edited by sagittarius sue
  • Sad 2

I think the one at 8:00 is from season 1. What I am seeing is that season 2 starts at 9:00 . I agree with you that HGTV has not advertised this new season at all.  I have been checking on the start date and the last that I saw was fall of 2023.  This is my favorite HGTV show. and I hope that they don't drop it after this season. I am so sick of the fake renovations. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I think the one at 8:00 is from season 1. What I am seeing is that season 2 starts at 9:00 . I agree with you that HGTV has not advertised this new season at all.  I have been checking on the start date and the last that I saw was fall of 2023.  This is my favorite HGTV show. and I hope that they don't drop it after this season. I am so sick of the fake renovations. 

You're right.  Even though the cable lineup shows it as 2-1, it is a repeat of the first episode, season 1. Thank you for the alert.

• Like 1

I loved the blue and white color scheme, the house really looked gorgeous when it was done.  The only think I didn’t like was the furniture they had reupholstered.  There’s a reason some things go out of style.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, MartyQui said:

The only think I didn’t like was the furniture they had reupholstered.  There’s a reason some things go out of style.

My first thought: that looks uncomfortable.

My second thought: seating for annoying visitors!

It didn't look like anything I'd want in my house but to each their own.

• Like 4

I have a Victorian love seat and matching chairs in my bedroom.  It is not at all for sitting, and I would not put it in my living room as the main furniture.  I don't think any upholsterer could make it comfortable to use on a daily basis.  This type of furniture is for decorating, not daily use.  I understand that they wanted some period furniture to go into their period house, but taking up an entire room and expecting to use it is not a practical idea.

• Like 2
(edited)

Two episodes at once. I just saw season 2 ep. 1 so far. The potting shed. Truly had to fast forward through most of it because that woman was killing me. She got rid of the original brick on the fireplace and put up that horrible looking tile. I just did not like anything that was coming out of her mouth pretty much. After watching Brett Watermans show and looking at how these people renovate a house at least on this episode, there was no comparison. And it’s truly surprising because I remember watching it last year and loving    Houses With History.  The house remains totally white washed. what happened to stripping the wood and bringing back the original beauty? It looks like someone took a bucket of  white paint and just threw it over everything wall surface. . And never mind the best thing. Who was it that these people hired to renovate the upstairs of the house? Did they just ask some idiot on Facebook for a recommendation and then had these no-nothings come in and strip the whole thing? Did the owners not even specify what was to be done.? Do they really think that the stuff was trashed because it sounds like they had  disreputable people come in tore everything out and sold it. I would love to know the real story behind what happen there  ..some people just do not deserve to have a beautiful old house and just goes to show money doesn’t care, and it usually does go to people that don’t Deserve it 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Sad 1

This reno was not their best.  That blue tile around the fireplace, looked cheap, and out of place.  There is a place for this show, but, the design choices have been lacking.  I am starting to dislike so many of these shows leaving out big sections of the homes, in this case, the other 2 bedrooms and any downstairs bathroom!   Wondering if finding material, houses, for them is the problem?   

• Like 1

I hope the rest of the episodes are like the first season where they buy a property and fix it up according to their own wishes rather than per the home-owner's choices.  That bright white paint in almost every room isn't typical of the Victorian period at all which had wallpaper and rich colors.  I felt a bit wistful when I saw a glimpse of a red wall highlighted with a white arched doorway.  I also wouldn't like uncomfortable Victorian furniture in a living room which will be lived in.  Victorians would've had it in a formal sitting room which they rarely visited.  Anyway, I much prefer the colonial period, and I'll take a comfy colonial wing chair any day!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I hope the rest of the episodes are like the first season where they buy a property and fix it up according to their own wishes rather than per the home-owner's choices.  That bright white paint in almost every room isn't typical of the Victorian period at all which had wallpaper and rich colors.  I felt a bit wistful when I saw a glimpse of a red wall highlighted with a white arched doorway.  I also wouldn't like uncomfortable Victorian furniture in a living room which will be lived in.  Victorians would've had it in a formal sitting room which they rarely visited.  Anyway, I much prefer the colonial period, and I'll take a comfy colonial wing chair any day!

It’s like they gave up. This is not the same show. That house looked terrible! 

• Sad 1

They hit it out of the park on last night's episode . Renovated an 1830's home that they purchased for $250,000.  The renovated  home was gorgeous. They furnished it with beautiful period style furniture. This is what I want to see on this show.  Hopefully last week's episode was a one and done.  

• Like 3

I have just discovered this show.  Again, always the late one to the party!  

8 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Renovated an 1830's home that they purchased for $250,000. 

They did a nice job on that house.  Does the furniture they use to stage it stay with the home once they sell it?  I love hearing about the history of these homes.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I have just discovered this show.  Again, always the late one to the party!  

They did a nice job on that house.  Does the furniture they use to stage it stay with the home once they sell it?  I love hearing about the history of these homes.  

That ugly chair was $750 to repair! I would think they use their supply of furniture to stage the house.
They have also fallen into the “we must have stupid jokes & a small , nothing to do with the subject side plot like a lot of these programs. Home Town, Pickers , etc. Your friendly neighborhood ghostbusting scammer. Good grief, you deserve to have your money stolen if you hire one of these. 

• Like 4

I looked the house up on Realtor, it’s on the market for $550K.  All new electric, HVAC etc.  It’s a good price for Massachusetts.  I know they wanted to save the father’s cabinets, but I hated that hardware.  The dining room was gorgeous, I’d love to host a dinner party there!

• Like 3

Glad I found this!   Last night's episode with the newly married older couple, loved the keeping room with the bee oven and built-ins.  Did not like the spotlights on the kitchen ceiling or the new island at all.   A kitchen table would have been more suitable.   The bedroom looked better and the ensuite was fine.   I do wonder what the upstairs, where the 3 daughters sleep and have a bathroom looks like.   $170,000 to $180,000 was a lot for what was done.   The outdoor light was pretty, but the copper will turn green and how to keep that brass bright (unless it's lacquered) against the green copper?    It's the best show on HGTV, and I'm glad to see some of the "Restored" watchers commenting here.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Doublemint said:

Last night's episode with the newly married older couple, loved the keeping room with the bee oven and built-ins. 

I thought they did a really good job with this house.  The size of that kitchen was awesome!  I usually fast forward through home remodeling shows just to see the 'after' reveal, but with this show, I'm really enjoying learning about the history of each home and surrounding area.

I'm glad that Mike found a door for the bee oven.  That would be such a neat thing to have with a fireplace.  

• Like 2

This is my favorite show on HGTV. Last night's show was good. The house turned out beautifully. Didn't care for the legs on the kitchen island but other than that it was a hit especially loved the large mirror in the kitchen.  This show is so different from the other renovation shows because Jenny, Mike and Rich do their research and respect the history behind the houses. I hope that putting it on Saturday night won't hurt the ratings. 

• Like 5
51 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Didn't care for the legs on the kitchen island but other than that it was a hit especially loved the large mirror in the kitchen.

I didn't care for them either, but they looked a little better than what I imagined!  I couldn't picture the mirror in that space, but Jen was right, it looked great!  

• Like 1

The island legs were ugly. I’d be pissed if I had to see them every day

also, how dumb to move the dining room so far away from the kitchen? They now have to walk through the living room to get to the dining room. I was shocked at the idiocy. 

I loved the kitchen (minus the stupid legs).  Apparently there’s a pantry that wasn’t shown, which makes sense.  I have to believe that the uncomfortable looking sofa was just for show, and the husband got something nice to sit on and watch his 65 inch TV.  He was a good sport, because he *clearly* wasn’t into living in a 300 year old house!

I think I might have to make a trip to their store (it’s only a half hour from where I live), just to see.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MartyQui said:

I have to believe that the uncomfortable looking sofa was just for show, and the husband got something nice to sit on and watch his 65 inch TV.  He was a good sport, because he *clearly* wasn’t into living in a 300 year old house!

I'm glad that they were able to remodel the house in a way that made both of them happy.  IIRC, it was her house to start with, so it's good that she was willing to modernize it some and he got what he wanted in the house without compromising the character of it. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, MartyQui said:

I loved the kitchen (minus the stupid legs).  Apparently there’s a pantry that wasn’t shown, which makes sense.  I have to believe that the uncomfortable looking sofa was just for show, and the husband got something nice to sit on and watch his 65 inch TV.  He was a good sport, because he *clearly* wasn’t into living in a 300 year old house!

I think I might have to make a trip to their store (it’s only a half hour from where I live), just to see.

And they had that ugly sofa set up facing away from where the TV was going to be so the whole look of the room would be different &  like I said before, the entire room is in the wrong spot 

I am worried that this show is on Saturday night.  Other than Gunsmoke and The Love Boat, I can't think of Saturday being a hot time slot.   I just have a bad feeling about Houses With History lasting.....

• Like 1
23 hours ago, MartyQui said:

We are about an hour away but we have thought to take a ride

On 4/25/2023 at 6:55 PM, blondiek237 said:

We are about an hour away but we have thought to take a ride

You must go and report back to us!!  I've commented on their Instagram page, and they have responded.  They seem like really nice people who are willing to stop and answer a question or two!  

• Like 2

I am so ticked about this.  We have seen what 3 shows? I know they filmed more.

5 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

You must go and report back to us!!  I've commented on their Instagram page, and they have responded.  They seem like really nice people who are willing to stop and answer a question or two!  

Please ask them when and if there will be anymore shows.

• Applause 1

If you go to Instagram, Houses With History HGTV, Jenn addresses the show not being on. Seems like they have got a ton of  people asking what's going on. She said HGTV is changing the date that it airs and they have more new shows to come stay tuned.  I sure hope so.

• Like 4