Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: I Want to Talk to Your Parents

• Start Topic

Lydia graduates high school and gets a very special visit. Micah, Moriah, Ethan, Olivia and Max decide it is time to move on from Cairo, but Olivia has one last thing to do before leaving town -- face her fears with Kim and Barry.

Original air date: 11/2/2021

On 10/22/2021 at 6:32 AM, Ms.Lulu said:

Lydia graduates high school and gets a very special visit. Micah, Moriah, Ethan, Olivia and Max decide it is time to move on from Cairo, but Olivia has one last thing to do before leaving town -- face her fears with Kim and Barry.

Original air date: 11/2/2021

Looks like the episode is now called "I Want to Talk to Your Parents"   

Sorry, I don't know how to change it.

• Love 1

Has anyone noticed how uncomfortable Lydia and Ethan are when they interact alone? When they hugged goodbye last season to when they met up at the garage and in this episode when she came to help him at the house, it is so weird. She is almost flirty with him and he is all business, to the point of being dismissive. Please tell me someone else sees it!

• Love 16

Alright, as usual, I'm a day late watching. 

Ethan's comments about how he wanted to make sure it was God's Will and not "mom's will" both humored me and made me sad. However, all he did was confirm what many of us were already saying. Kim has convinced Lydia (and undoubtedly some of the others) that her ideas are the same as God's ideas, and to question them is blasphemy.

Lydia. Poor, dumb, possibly schizophrenic Lydia. Ok, I'm not anti-Christianity and I do believe in God. I spent most of my life in a charismatic church where people threw around terms like "God spoke to me" and "God told me" from time to time. Listen, there's one of three options with Lydia who apparently hears the voice of God all day, every day.
1-God talks to her more than He talked to the people who wrote the Bible.
2-She's suffering from schizophrenia and hears voices all the time.
3-She is trying hard to convince herself and everyone around her that what Kim says is God's Word.

I'll take #3 for the win.

Anybody placing bets on when Kim and the Holy Spirit tell Lydia that she has to marry the youth pastor? Also, either he is the youngest youth pastor on earth, or it's creepy as all hell that a youth pastor (even one from another church) is trying to pick up a 17 year old. 

As far as Kim goes, I'm not really sure what else there is to say about her that I haven't said 100 times already. Kim, if you get on Primetimer and read these forums in an effort to stroke your own ego, I hope you've caught my comments. I can't stand you, you're a horrible person, and I hope one day you find yourself alone and miserable because of the vile way that you've treated everyone around you.

Finally, Olivia. The MVP of the episode. I know there's a couple people on here who love to bash on her, but what she did in that episode last night was one of the most adult, mature, healthy things that anyone has ever done on this show. Did you see the look on Barry and Kim's faces when she said she forgave them?! For two people who have never been wrong (in their own mind), the concept of being forgiven blew them away! To kick it up a notch, when Kim said that they never tried to hurt her, and Olivia shut that shit down? I applauded. Kim tried to weasel her way into a controlling position of the interaction by her little hug gesture, but Olivia stood her ground, shut it down, and won. Olivia won. Kim lost. And I'm happy. Also, props to Ethan for not giving in and letting Kim hug him. 

So there we are, with another season in the books. I'm sure I'll respond back and forth with some of you over the next day or two, but I guess we wait for season 4. I hope we get one.

3 minutes ago, MamaGee said:

Has anyone noticed how uncomfortable Lydia and Ethan are when they interact alone? When they hugged goodbye last season to when they met up at the garage and in this episode when she came to help him at the house, it is so weird. She is almost flirty with him and he is all business, to the point of being dismissive. Please tell me someone else sees it!

Ahh! I told my wife last night that their relationship is so warped that Lydia seems like a flirty little girl talking to an older guy! 

• Love 24

In regards to Lydia, I also noticed that the older kids are aware of how very much she does around the house despite Kim's protestations to the contrary.  Kim claimed Lydia had no household responsibilities at all except for her own laundry and that any cooking or cleaning she did was voluntary.  The kids called BS on that, they know just what we've seen: that Lydia bears the brunt of cooking and cleaning and childcare around the house in addition to her paying jobs. Kim is such a piece of work, I suppose she is so used to her kids accepting every word that comes out of her mouth as God's own truth, that she doesn't think anyone would question anything she says.  In fact, virtually everything she says is a lie as far as I can tell.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 16
49 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Anybody placing bets on when Kim and the Holy Spirit tell Lydia that she has to marry the youth pastor?

The youth pastor that could not be any less interested in Lydia? That scene was incredibly awkward and uncomfortable! Ugh.

This episode gave me the creeps, from Max and his interactions with the boys (did anyone see him swat Isaac’s bum) when he’s supposed to be Moriah’s boyfriend to Lydia whisper flirting with Ethan to Kim controlling the narrative of Lydia’s party and fuming inside when Olivia wanted to see the kids. 

I didn’t have a problem with Max in drag. The spoof itself was actually pretty funny and Ethan really got a laugh but I did find the behavior between Max and Micah to be a bit weird because Max is supposed to be Moriah’s boyfriend. Not Micah’s. I mean maybe it was all innocent goofing around but it felt weird watching it.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 10
45 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Ahh! I told my wife last night that their relationship is so warped that Lydia seems like a flirty little girl talking to an older guy! 

Maybe if Lydia actually got to flirt with a boy without her mother telling her it was sinful, she wouldn't be so flirty with her brother.  From what she said, it seems like she has spent very little time alone with Ethan and I think she really likes and admires him as her big brother and is very anxious that he likes her and wants to spend time with her; so she is constantly trying to get his attention and approval which makes it seem like she's flirting with him.  That poor girl is a nervous wreck from what I can see.  You know the minute she returned home, Kim was in her face demanding a report as to anything Ethan said or did.

• Love 14

You all have made so many good points, it’s impossible to quote them all. A few things that stuck out to me. 
Kim tried to act like the kids knew all the randos at Lydia’s “graduation” party to make it seem like they had friends growing up. Moriah confirmed that was a lie. She only recognized four or five people and some of them she’d only seen once or twice. Just like Micah said before. 

Kim also said they would have had graduation parties for the other kids had they not been planning weddings. Sure Jan. Moriah confirmed that they never had parties, graduation or otherwise.

Kim immediately going on the defense when Moriah asked the younger kids to help Lydia with chores. Claiming that because Moriah hadn’t lived there in so long, she wasn’t aware of Lydia’s change in responsibilities. I believe Lydia confides in Moriah and I think she’s still got a Cinderella role.

”’Whoa dude!’ is what I wanted to say when I saw that hair.” Barry is the dorkiest dork in dorkville.

is Isaac still on the back of the UHaul?

I thought Ethan was awkward with Lydia, but I realized he’s awkward with all his siblings. The way he talked about Micah moving to L.A. sounded like me talking about a coworker I don’t really care for. I found it interesting that he didn’t get along with Moriah growing up because she seems to dote on all her siblings except for maybe Isaac.

Did Moriah get braces or is the bad lip filler causing the lisp?

I take it Micah didn’t share the news of his move with the producers. He looked a little thin too. I can’t help but think of the Chili Peppers’ lyrics with him:

🎵And little girls from Sweden dream of silver-screen quotation
And if you want these kind of dreams, it's Californication🎵

Two teenagers move in with a married couple of 22-year-olds. What’s the worst that could happen?

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I think Ethan is a bit awkward with Lydia because he knows she will be questioned by Kim the second she gets home. He also knows she believes in something he no longer believes in. I don’t think Lydia is trying to flirt, she just doesn’t know how to act around Ethan because she loves him but knows he is a ‘sinner’ according to her parents.

I have said before that I find Max’s constant touching and flirting with Micah disturbing. Maybe it is a good thing Micah moved far away although that scene with no one knowing where he was is strange . I have concerns about Moriah too. She seems very anxious all the time. I guess it is good that Olivia and Ethan can keep an eye on her but not sure it is good for their marriage.

Lydia’s party looked like a blast , lol! People she doesn’t know , weird dancing and being forced to dance with the angry looking youth pastor. Does Lydia ever wear shoes ? I’m glad Olivia got some closure. I still think she spends too much time trying to give therapy or ‘teach’ Ethan rather than trying to have a fun, happy marriage but I wish them the best. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

The youth pastor that could not be any less interested in Lydia? That scene was incredibly awkward and uncomfortable! Ugh.

This episode gave me the creeps, from Max and his interactions with the boys (did anyone see him swat Isaac’s bum) when he’s supposed to be Moriah’s boyfriend to Lydia whisper flirting with Ethan to Kim controlling the narrative of Lydia’s party and fuming inside when Olivia wanted to see the kids. 

I didn’t have a problem with Max in drag. The spoof itself was actually pretty funny and Ethan really got a laugh but I did find the behavior between Max and Micah to be a bit weird because Max is supposed to be Moriah’s boyfriend. Not Micah’s. I mean maybe it was all innocent goofing around but it felt weird watching it.

Yea, that one. I'm sure Kim will demand that they fall in love, and the Holy Spirit will confirm it. Again, I grew up in a very charismatic church, and I've always heard the same phrases that the youth pastor and Lydia used.

"He always listens to the Holy Spirit." Apparently all these people constantly hear the voice of God. I seem to remember from some of my college classes that there was a 400 or so year span between the Old Testament and the New Testament where God didn't talk much to anyone. Apparently He was saving up all of His words to drop them on Plathville.

"She's on fire for God."  That's another one that I heard a lot growing up that no one could ever explain. Fire was largely used as a form of punishment in Scripture. I'm not entirely sure how you get "on fire for God," but it sounds largely unpleasant. 

1 hour ago, charmed1 said:

Kim immediately going on the defense when Moriah asked the younger kids to help Lydia with chores. Claiming that because Moriah hadn’t lived there in so long, she wasn’t aware of Lydia’s change in responsibilities. I believe Lydia confides in Moriah and I think she’s still got a Cinderella role.

Wasn't that hilarious?! Kim told the other kids to be quiet and let Lydia talk, and them immediately took over the conversation in typical Kim fashion. 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I think Ethan is a bit awkward with Lydia because he knows she will be questioned by Kim the second she gets home. He also knows she believes in something he no longer believes in. I don’t think Lydia is trying to flirt, she just doesn’t know how to act around Ethan because she loves him but knows he is a ‘sinner’ according to her parents.

I have said before that I find Max’s constant touching and flirting with Micah disturbing. Maybe it is a good thing Micah moved far away although that scene with no one knowing where he was is strange . I have concerns about Moriah too. She seems very anxious all the time. I guess it is good that Olivia and Ethan can keep an eye on her but not sure it is good for their marriage.

Lydia’s party looked like a blast , lol! People she doesn’t know , weird dancing and being forced to dance with the angry looking youth pastor. Does Lydia ever wear shoes ? I’m glad Olivia got some closure. I still think she spends too much time trying to give therapy or ‘teach’ Ethan rather than trying to have a fun, happy marriage but I wish them the best. 

I agree. The entire episode was awkward. Probably didn’t need producer intervention. But Olivia can’t love on Ethan because Olivia is Kim. 

• Love 3

Some timelines in case anyone is interested.

Ethans birthday was in May. the Tampa move was discussed as July, but got put out apparently.

Moriah did get her hair done sometime in Sept.   

Ethan, Olivia, Moriah , and Max were in some house in Tampa area for halloween based on their Social media, along with some new friend.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, MamaGee said:

It's almost like she has a crush on him and he knows it, so he keeps his distance. 

• Love 4

Olivia’s discussion with Kim and Barry was perfect.
She was polite but firm in shutting down Kim. It was obvious to me that Kim was going to endlessly talk about how she was right and Olivia was wrong and Olivia just said nope. I think the only reason Kim allowed the younger children to see Olivia and Ethan was she didn’t expect the request and didn’t know how to say no with the cameras there. 
I think Kim was shocked that Ethan and Olivia refused to allow her to manipulate them into hugging her.

• Love 11

I'm glad that Olivia stood up for herself and got whatever closure she wanted with Kim and Barry before leaving Cairo.  I really do hope that she and Ethan work out because they do seem like good people who are trying to learn and grow.  I don't know about living with Moriah and Max though.  I kept thinking that they should look for separate apartments in the same building or something rather than all living in one apartment, but they mentioned wanting so save money I guess sharing one place is the way to do it.  Working on a marriage while living with another couple who are always all over each other seems a bit iffy though.

Way too much Lydia in this episode.  I didn't mind Lydia before she showed herself to be Kim's carbon copy, but now I just don't care for her.  I know she's only 17 and her parents are the only authority figures in her life (and her brothers and sisters have been her only friends her whole life) but man, she's hard to watch.  And kind of boring.  Hearing how Kim never threw the older kids graduation parties, and hearing Moriah say they never had parties, period, was sad.  The graduation party just seemed like a ploy by Kim to keep Lydia under her spell.  Everything about it was so calculated and awkward, from the guests the kids hardly knew to the strange waltzing to the only age appropriate male being a youth pastor (of course) and being forced to dance with Lydia.

Micah supposedly disappearing to California without anyone knowing was odd, but good for him.  

• Love 10

How could I forget about the flat affect youth pastor? Did Lydia ever confirm if he was the “special friend?” This episode just confirmed for me that Kim is a stage parent. She loves the attention she gets from having culturally specific attractive children. She’s a fundy Rose Hovick.

I’m sorry, but I find Max to be a weirdo. The incessant kissing like someone clinked a knife against a wine glass at his wedding reception is bad enough. But the inappropriate touching of Moriah’s siblings is over the line. Especially Isaac.

• Love 6

My goodness...I almost had to take notes during this episode of all.the.things

• Max - I definitely feel like he is a closeted gay. He is consistently handsy with the guys - he almost sucked on Micah's nipple in one episode, let alone all of the other times that they showed those two "wrestling". And on this episode he touched Isaac in a way that needed need to be done. Come on out, Max.
  • Micah - See above. And he moved to West Hollywood, a completely flamboyantly gay area. And he looked miserable in his video, perhaps because his special friend Max is not around?
  • Moriah - Such a pretty girl without all of the ridiculously long false eye-lashes, lip fillers, and tons of makeup (IMHO). 
  • Isaac - Good grief, TLC...not in any way, shape, or form is it safe to ride on a truck like that. Especially with one hand, and it looked like the truck wasn't exactly creeping out of the yard. Maybe he jumped off pretty quickly but I thought that scene was weird to show. Especially since Ethan and Olivia had already said their goodbyes to the kids, including Isaac.
  • Olivia "needing closure" with Barry and Kim - I know there is a lot of love for Olivia here, but this girl drives me batty. She's spouting therapy-speak with moral superiority but (seemingly) no depth behind it. My perspective is that she is manipulative and controlling. 
  • Barry and Kim - They are bonkers on so many levels. 

All of that being said, this is a scripted show so I have no clue how true any of it is. 

Edited by brewgirl
  • Love 10
25 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

How could I forget about the flat affect youth pastor? Did Lydia ever confirm if he was the “special friend?” This episode just confirmed for me that Kim is a stage parent. She loves the attention she gets from having culturally specific attractive children. She’s a fundy Rose Hovick.

I’m sorry, but I find Max to be a weirdo. The incessant kissing like someone clinked a knife against a wine glass at his wedding reception is bad enough. But the inappropriate touching of Moriah’s siblings is over the line. Especially Isaac.

Almost positive that he wasn't the boy based on her conversation with Ethan. He asked how her "jackass of a boyfriend" was, and she said that the Holy Spirit, I mean Kim, I mean the Holy Spirit, no, I mean Kim told her that she shouldn't have anything to do with him. And then she had peace. 

23 minutes ago, brewgirl said:

My goodness...I almost had to take notes during this episode of all.the.things

• Max - I definitely feel like he is a closeted gay. He is consistently handsy with the guys - he almost sucked on Micah's nipple in one episode, let alone all of the other times that they showed those two "wrestling". And on this episode he touched Isaac in a way that needed need to be done. Come on out, Max.
  • Micah - See above. And he moved to West Hollywood, a completely flamboyantly gay area. And he looked miserable in his video, perhaps because his special friend Max is not around?
  • Moriah - Such a pretty girl without all of the ridiculously long false eye-lashes, lip fillers, and tons of makeup (IMHO). 
  • Isaac - Good grief, TLC...not in any way, shape, or form is it safe to ride on a truck like that. Especially with one hand, and it looked like the truck wasn't exactly creeping out of the yard. Maybe he jumped off pretty quickly but I thought that scene was weird to show. Especially since Ethan and Olivia had already said their goodbyes to the kids, including Isaac.
  • Olivia "needing closure" with Barry and Kim - I know there is a lot of love for Olivia here, but this girl drives me batty. She's spouting therapy-speak with moral superiority but (seemingly) no depth behind it. My perspective is that she is manipulative and controlling. 
  • Barry and Kim - They are bonkers on so many levels. 

All of that being said, this is a scripted show so I have no clue how true any of it is. 

Gah, I hated the scene with Isaac riding on the back of the truck. Especially when this show has talked about Kim killing the one kid with a car. Stupid scene.

Your take on Olivia is interesting to me, and it proves that people can see the same thing in a completely different light. I don't think she comes across as superior. I just think she has decided what works for her, and she's not willing to compromise on that. I think she seems very grounded for someone so young. Not arguing, I just truly find it interesting that people can watch the same scenes and get two different takes on it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
20 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Gah, I hated the scene with Isaac riding on the back of the truck. Especially when this show has talked about Kim killing the one kid with a car. Stupid scene.

Same with barefoot Isaac swinging the tractor around with the mower attachment on it when Micah's car was stuck. He almost mowed Micah. And Ethan standing up on the UHaul truck, he was so close to the power line, whether it was a dangerous wire or not.

Micah is the one I worry about though. I think he has more unresolved anger than the other kids and acts out with things like reckless driving. Revving off after his car was unstuck was pretty dangerous. He could have just as easily rear-ended Isaac on the tractor. As of the end of the episode he was in WeHo with a multitude of hits on the dating apps. I'm all for him living life on his terms but to this point he's had zero guidance and I'm really afraid of him a) being taken advantage of b) getting in trouble with drugs/alcohol c) accidentally killing someone with his car. At least if he was in Tampa with the rest of the gang, he'd have some structure. And he'd have someplace to go with his boat.

• Love 10

Wow, so much to say but you guys have said it already so you've saved me some typing time, thanks!

Skeevy or Creepy Moments:

1. When Lydia is hanging with Ethan, she's so anxious that it's incredibly sad. Also incredibly sad is the fact that I doubt Kim has ever gotten Lydia any products or doctor to help with what looks like cystic acne. She piles so much foundation on her face but all the blemishes and eruptions show through anyway. So sad. Poor kid.

2. Barry's glee and Kim's smirk when Moriah comes to say goodbye and thanks them for raising her. You could just tell that they were going to high five one another after she left and kvell to the younger kids that they raised Moriah right so the rest better fall in line too. Fuckwits both of them.

3. Max's glee at being in drag. He seems a little too into it.

4. Kim crowing about Lydia waltzing with the Youth Pastor, who had a look of concentration so intense I thought he was either going to bust a nut or shit his pants. Also, he seems like he might be the sort who plays for the other team but marries a good girl who will never question his disinterest in sex with girls because, gross!

Happier or Positive Moments:

1. The kids deciding to move to Tampa, though I wish they'd all gone to CA, it's a start.

2. Micah moving to CA without telling anyone. That? Was totally weird and you know the timeline's been fucked with but still. And to move to WeHo and immediately live in West Hollywood, 'The' gay neighborhood of LA? I hope he doesn't get taken advantage of looking like that...

3. Olivia creating her closure with Kim & Barry. She was so awesome in how she handled that, and once again, K&B never once said 'we're sorry'. What Kim should have said was, "Olivia, we are so thankful that you came here today before moving to Tampa, and we want you to know that we are hearing you now. It doesn't matter what our intentions were in the past with you, we see now that the only thing that matters is that you felt hurt and for that we are genuinely sorry. We know this doesn't fix everything, but we hope it's a step towards something better now." But she can't say that because she's never ever sorry for anything. I clapped when both Olivia and Ethan shut down her need for a hug because, and we, know she wanted to do that to look good for the cameras and they denied her that, so good on Ethan and Olivia. I think these two are going to make it after all (*insert MTM theme music here*).

4. I can see of all the older kids, Micah would be able to travel and move most easily due to modeling, if he chooses to do so. And to whomever mentioned upthread that they thought he might be in London because he's signed with a London agency, it is very common for models to sign with agencies all over the world so he has representation in London but he doesn't have to live there.

• Love 7

So here we are.  The end of another season.  Will there be a forth one? 

Micah is nice and good looking.  That's about it.  Kind of a strange one maybe a bit like Barry.  Actually all tree of the sons are a bit goofy like Barry.  I just can't imagine him taking off like that.  And West Hollywood?

Moriah I can't get a handle on.  She 'could' be pretty cute but those outfits, hair and makeup ruin a really pretty, sweet girl.  I don't think she would listen to any advice from anybody like Olivia or Lydia.  Has Max been living with Moriah this last year so one of them said..can't remember which one.  Also will they be together as a couple sharing a bed in Florida when he moves there and why isn't he going now with all of them?

The youth minister.  What a winky dink.  I hope and 'pray' Lidia doesn't get stuck with him. 

I wonder why they didn't take Lidia with them?  She's seventeen and graduated and she could share with Moriah until Max appears.  Would kind of save her.  I think she's free to go if she wanted to.

• Love 1

Micah was the voice of reason in questioning how you could move to Tampa with no plan in place although the details on his own move to L.A. are sparse. Do they all plan on just living off their TLC checks? Moriah doesn’t even have a GED. In my neck of the woods, she could at best get a job in fast food service or dog walking, but that wouldn’t be enough to pay rent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, charmed1 said:

How could I forget about the flat affect youth pastor? Did Lydia ever confirm if he was the “special friend?”

It seemed Ethan may have been the "special friend."  She really seemed to appreciate that he and Olivia showed up.  If the youth pastor was the special friend he seemed oblivious to that fact.  He certainly wouldn't have waited until the last moment to dance with her.  And she didn't really seem interested, although I think she was very relieved to get to dance. 

Speaking of dancing,  I thought they were in the same "church" as the Duggars who don't allow dancing.  Oh, I forgot.  Mama Plath was a prima ballerina in her day at FSU.  

I think Ma and Pa think they are looking really like great parents this season.  If this is supposed to be a redemption arc season, it is a big fail.  I laughed my head off at the idea that. but for weddings, Micah, , Ethan and Hosannah would have had graduation parties, much less parties with friends and dancing.  And thanks to the Greek chorus of Micah, Ethan, and Moriah we know that they had no friends growing up. and they had no clue who most of these people were at the party.

37 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

So here we are.  The end of another season.  Will there be a forth one? 

I hope so.  I didn't think I would when this season began, but I would love a season of life in Tampa for the older ones.  I have no desire to see the parents or the youngest sibs on my tv.   I really am interested in how Isaac turns out, and I am hoping that Lydia will break free from being a mini-me of her mother, but then I have been waiting for a decade for Jana Duggar to make her escape.  

I am glad Olivia was able to say good-bye to everyone.  I like both her and Ethan, and I hope their work on their marriage is successful.  I hope also that Moriah gets her GED.  I think her clothing and make up are her way of rebelling even though she may not realize it;  at least it is a safer rebellion than drugs. Perhaps even her parents realize that.  I am a bit worried about Micah in LA.   He seems a bit naive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Shelbie said:

Olivia’s discussion with Kim and Barry was perfect.
She was polite but firm in shutting down Kim. It was obvious to me that Kim was going to endlessly talk about how she was right and Olivia was wrong and Olivia just said nope. I think the only reason Kim allowed the younger children to see Olivia and Ethan was she didn’t expect the request and didn’t know how to say no with the cameras there. 
I think Kim was shocked that Ethan and Olivia refused to allow her to manipulate them into hugging her.

I think it was also because Olivia reminded Kim that she said that Olivia could only see the younger kids if she made amends with the parents. If Olivia hadn't done that; then I think Kim would've refused.  The fact that her original statement as well as this particular conversation were caught on film was just the incentive Kim needed. Good on Olivia for calling her out.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 8

When Moriah first commented that she was the only one in the family who hadn't graduated, I felt bad for her. THEN she said that she was the only kid in the family who was getting a GED and not a homeschool diploma "thing," and I exhaled a sigh of relief. They showed Lydia's "diploma," and as someone who has a PhD and works at an R1 university in an area specializing in student achievement and matriculation/graduation rates I nearly died. I can't believe that is legal in the US, I just cannot. (please note that I'm not knocking quality homeschooling here)

Micah's departure to WeHo was a little disturbing. Moriah looked a little haunted when she talked about him just disappearing, and the producers asking Ethan to FaceTime him "to find out where he is"? 😳 I'm worried about him.

Kim's face getting a deeper and deeper shade of red when Moriah told her that she couldn't come to the house? Heh heh. You made your damn bed, Kim. Looks like you'll have to sleep at the Motel 6 with your gaggle of children if you ever want to visit Tampa.

I feel an affinity with Olivia and the Plath kids as I moved from the Tallahassee area (and had a roommate from Cairo, GA and also a nanny job in Thomasville, GA) to Tampa without knowing a soul there. I did transfer universities so I did have a path once I got there, but I was about the same age age as Micah when I moved there. Bless. ❤️

IMG_5346.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

Me, I just put it down to the chronic social awkwardness that all the kids seem to suffer from because they were kept away from socializing as they grew up.

Also me, I want to know what happened next.  Did they all get to Tampa?  Are they still there?  Where is Micah in his LA journey - is he still there?  ETA:  Thanks, @mom2two

I don't think there's a media thread here, is there?

ETA: I think Lydia should take on the youth pastor, honestly.  She's make a great pastor's wife,  She really doesn't have all that much more to offer.

Edited by b2H
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Kim also said they would have had graduation parties for the other kids had they not been planning weddings. Sure Jan. Moriah confirmed that they never had parties, graduation or otherwise.

Since there's only been one wedding and since Moriah hadn't actually graduated, yeah, this is BS.  Kim did nothing for Ethan or Micah.  Nothing.  Maybe that's why everyone's so on edge, with the Tampa move.  The party for Lydia was for the cameras.  Without them, there wouldn't have been a celebration.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, b2H said:

Since there's only been one wedding and since Moriah hadn't actually graduated, yeah, this is BS.  Kim did nothing for Ethan or Micah.  Nothing.  Maybe that's why everyone's so on edge, with the Tampa move.  The party for Lydia was for the cameras.  Without them, there wouldn't have been a celebration.

Two of the children married--Hosannah and Ethan.  I am guessing Hosannah also had a wedding and didn't elope or just go to the courthouse. It is easy to forget about Hosannah as she is not mentioned or shown.    That being said, I agree that the celebration for Lydia was for the cameras.

Max moved out before Moriah and left a mess.  I wonder if that was a rental house. Usually you need to really clean up when you move out of a rental or you lose your deposit.  I did wonder if perhaps this was a rental house that belonged to the Plaths.  Moriah didn't have a good job--or maybe no job at all-- when she moved out and I don't think Micah had one either unless he was working for the car person who hired Lydia.  So maybe Lydia will be cleaning it up.

• Love 1

Who was the creepy lady with the long blond hair at the graduation party? She looked like Kim's clone or look alike sister! Was it just her make up or her actual face...or fundy dress? She sure looked like she "belonged" there! If it was in fact Kim's sister, Moriah would have surely mentioned it. I could NOT stop watching her dance. She was like another albino Plath all grown up!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Moriah didn't have a good job--or maybe no job at all-- when she moved out and I don't think Micah had one either unless he was working

I recall she used to work at a gym or teach a yoga class? Remember her dad going to her class? This was before she started singing though. No way does that pay her anything to live on!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

Did you see the look on Barry and Kim's faces when she said she forgave them?!

Didn't one of them (Barry or Kim) say right after that "Well, we forgive you, too"? Because  you know they couldn't let Olivia get away with saying that on camera. Or was I imagining that?

What the hell with Micah?  Did he take off in the middle of the night for California without his roomate sister knowing a thing? Such BS. That is the worst editing I have ever seen. 

38 minutes ago, b2H said:

I think Lydia should take on the youth pastor, honestly.  She's make a great pastor's wife,  She really doesn't have all that much more to offer.

Yes!! A pastor's wife is what she should be. 

I hate Moriah's hair. Worse yet, I hate how Kim was touching it acting like she loves it making comments about the pink strands running through her hair. Shut up, Kim!! 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Didn't one of them (Barry or Kim) say right after that "Well, we forgive you, too"? Because  you know they couldn't let Olivia get away with saying that on camera. Or was I imagining that?

16 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

I recall she used to work at a gym or teach a yoga class? Remember her dad going to her class? This was before she started singing though. No way does that pay her anything to live on!

No, I am pretty sure I heard them say it.  Maybe it was Pa Plath. I admit I was watching the show whenever the World Series had a commercial break and perhaps I need to re-watch but I think I remember that part because I was annoyed at the comment, but then I am always annoyed by Ma and Pa Plath.      Go Braves!!!!!

She did, but I think she may have gotten it after she moved out.  It seemed like she was a newbie at teaching which was one of the many reasons I was annoyed at Pa Plath for inviting himself to watch.  Actually, that was probably producer driven to get Moriah to agree as she seemed very nervous about it.

23 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

Who was the creepy lady with the long blond hair at the graduation party? She looked like Kim's clone or look alike sister! Was it just her make up or her actual face...or fundy dress? She sure looked like she "belonged" there! If it was in fact Kim's sister, Moriah would have surely mentioned it. I could NOT stop watching her dance. She was like another albino Plath all grown up!

I don't know.  She may have been the same lady that seemed to purposefully walk in front of the camera.  Based on the fact that no one seemed to know who most of the people were, I wonder if they were extras hired for the show. More likely they are from the youth pastor's church;  they probably all came on a church bus. Or even more likely, they are from the church where Lydia babysits on Wednesday nights.  Or maybe they are all Kim's spies.  

• Love 2

I hate Moriahs hair too. She scares me. Honestly she looks like a woman of the night in a seedy part of town .  All that makeup and her butt hanging out of her short shorts!

I’m concerned too that she’s lacking in both book and street smarts.   And really lacking in talent too. 

I hope somebody’s looking out for her!

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I hate Moriahs hair too. She scares me. Honestly she looks like a woman of the night in a seedy part of town .  All that makeup and her butt hanging out of her short shorts!

I’m concerned too that she’s lacking in both book and street smarts.   And really lacking in talent too. 

I hope somebody’s looking out for her!

I love her purple hair! She's just having fun dressing up. I say do it while you're young. I wish I'd had a lot more fun with hairstyles, etc.

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I love her purple hair! She's just having fun dressing up. I say do it while you're young. I wish I'd had a lot more fun with hairstyles, etc.

Oh my gosh, me too!  Every time I see someone with crazy hair, I compliment them.  I think it is so great that they are just having fun and being themselves.  There will be plenty of time for serious jobs and interviews and "proper attire."  I wish when I was in my early 20's that I had cared a little less what people thought of me and just enjoyed life more.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

What the hell with Micah?  Did he take off in the middle of the night for California without his roomate sister knowing a thing? Such BS. That is the worst editing I have ever seen. 

Yes!! A pastor's wife is what she should be. 

I hate Moriah's hair. Worse yet, I hate how Kim was touching it acting like she loves it making comments about the pink strands running through her hair. Shut up, Kim!! 

Yes, Barry quickly said that they forgave her too. I loved how she didn't miss a beat and just kept talking. 

I like Moriah's hair. She's a young woman who is having some fun and making her own way. If she decides she hates it, she can change it back. I do think she's a little overboard with the lip filler and the fake lashes. She kinda had a Bratz Doll thing going on, but if it makes her happy after the life she's endured, I'm all for it.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

He did and I laughed because it was totally a “Well the jerk store called…!” moment lol. Oh Bar. Never stop dorking.
Now I have to go back and watch so I can see the grown up Albino Plath woman. I only remember the one dressed like she was going to some antebellum reenactment and carrying a parasol. And the odd girl in jeans who asked Lydia a question. She looked like she was more into the youth pastor than Lydia. Kim said those rando kids play volleyball with the Plathlings. And also, youth pastor plays volleyball. So I’m guessing there’s a volleyball net at their church and Kim invited the congregation. What is it about narcissistic cult nuts and volleyball?

• Love 4

I liked Moriah’s hair.  So much better than those trashy two toned extensions and red lipstick.  The new look is right on trend.  Also, to be fair, Micah said he was living in the West Hollywood Hills.  He probably meant Hollywood Hills West which is above Sunset and contains Laurel Canyon.  It was weird how he just took off.  I wonder if he had a fight with production.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Pattycake2 said:

I liked Moriah’s hair.  So much better than those trashy two toned extensions and red lipstick.  The new look is right on trend.  Also, to be fair, Micah said he was living in the West Hollywood Hills.  He probably meant Hollywood Hills West which is above Sunset and contains Laurel Canyon.  It was weird how he just took off.  I wonder if he had a fight with production.

I wondered about Micah as well because production seemed to have lost track of him. 

I thought Moriah's hair was too purple, but I agree it is better than those extensions she had.  I don't color my hair, but my hair dresser is really good with all these new colors, and I love to see the pictures her clients post of their new looks.  their hair is a lot more toned down than Moriah's and also more blended with either the natural color or other colors.   She does gorgeous work. 

• Love 1

Actually I like the new hair colors. My friend wears a beautiful burgundy and my daughter was sporting a beautiful lavender. 

However Moriah’s was too hard for her small features. I know she had it done professionally but it looked cheap and way over done. 

Moriah can get away with her ‘look’ in Cairo because most know her and will leave her alone but I really worry about her ‘look’ in a place she’s unknown!

9 hours ago, b2H said:

Me, I just put it down to the chronic social awkwardness that all the kids seem to suffer from because they were kept away from socializing as they grew up.

I agree. One of the hallmarks of these big fundamentalist families is that the kids are encouraged not to make close friends outside of thier siblings. it doesn't surprise me that Lydia is so attached to Ethan. She's been brainwashed to feel that way.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, brewgirl said:

They have TLC's paychecks - they don't need other jobs.

The rents in Cairo must be very inexpensive and I'm sure they can afford it on their TLC paychecks but hopefully they're putting that into the bank and paying rent from their jobs. Even working at a gym teaching classes would probably be enough for Moriah to pay her share of the rent.