Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Charmed and Wiccan

yeswedo

I've been watching the dailies on youtube recently. Love stuff like that. 

Even though there's minimal footage of them "between takes" it's still interesting to watch. Shannen reciting Mirror Piper's lines for Holly in Coyote Piper was cute. 

I wish we had more behind the scenes stuff and DVD extras for the show. 

• Love 2

Since POP (the channel) has agreed to take on One Day at a Time, I've added it to my home lineup and discovered I can spend all Sunday afternoon rewatching Charmed.  They're on Season 5 which is pointing out the flaw in binge-watching the show.   I remember the recapper from TWOP complaining about this back in the day and he's not wrong. Season 5 seems to be the season of magical creatures all in a row.  Unicorns/Golden geese, leprechauns, nymphs.  It was a bit ridiculous. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2016 at 10:58 PM, Apprentice79 said:

I agree. I think the show was much better with Prue, Piper and Phoebe. Their dynamic was so much better than Piper. Phoebe and Paige...I think season 3 was the beginning of the end..The tone of the show change with the departure of Constance Burge at the beginning of season 3. I do believe that the show would have been different, if she had retained control of her show....

I was losing hope that I was the ONLY one who loved the Shannen Doherty years. I stopped watching after the third season. Just like with Beverly Hills, 90210, I checked out after Shannen was gone. I freely admit it, I'm a die-hard Shannen fan--have been since she was wee on Little House on the Prairie.

As others have stated up thread, the chemistry was bloody fantastic between Shannen, Holly, and Alyssa. I especially loved (and it gave me the warm fuzzies) when Prue and Phoebe would squint at each other and go "ooooh!" as a way to show affection or agreement. Y'all know what I'm talking about, even it's not making sense when I type it.

And unlike others, I LOVED Andy and was pissed they killed him off. I adore TW King. "Deja Vu All Over Again" is very painful for me to watch.

And the whole made up reasons for IA questioning Andy made no bloody sense, considering that one of them wasn't a demon. You'd think it was still the 17th Century, where if people believed in witches, they would be lumped with criminals and thought to be EVUHL, just like the witches. And ooooooh! Andy looks at evidence from a nearly 40 year crime to try and solve the unexplained murders of the people involved in convicting Ward! That's some dirty cop they got there!🙄 Which leads to "Morality Bites." It's a good episode, but I can't help but roll my eyes, because it's only 10 years into the future, but I was to believe and accept the world would regress to the mindthink of the 1600s, a la Salem? In California???? near the millenium?? Or that Prue would somehow, own Bucklands, when she was more often not there, then she was? And would turn into someone who would forget she had sisters? Suuuuure.😒

I've never liked Rose McGowan. So had no interest in watching this show with her in it. I did, sometimes catch an episode or two, and blech.

I did ADORE Finola Hughes being cast as Patty. Though I have to wonder why they didn't use her voice in "From Fear to Eternity" when she showed up as their mom in "That '70s Episode" which was a few episodes later, and not like, a season later.

On 4/5/2016 at 10:52 AM, Apprentice79 said:

It was a big issue in the beginning of season 3. Constance Burge was against Cole being brought it in as a love interest for Phoebe in season 3. She felt that relationship would diminish the sisters' bond and the character of Phoebe.. Brad Kern went to Aaron Spelling about it and he sided with him against her. She left shortly before the third season was to begin..Once Brad Kern got full control of the show, it trickled down to the actors; mainly Shannon who got along very well with Constance...It is not a coincidence to me that the show changed in tone after Brad took over..For example: we were told from the beginning, that the sisters powers came from them and not the elders...Each sister would develop 3 distinct powers organically, in their fight against evil...One active, one defense and one passive that would work in tandem just like their ancestor Melinda Warren...

This is new to me. I wasn't aware of this. All I remember hearing and reading about was the clashing between Shannen and Alyssa. And I liked Alyssa--watched her grow up on Who's the Boss? And that it was because of them not getting along that got Shannen booted. And the show suffered because of it. To the point where they didn't even show her PICTURE in the series finale? Yeah, I watched to see how it ended. I'm not sure when the "clashing" started, but Shannen is a much better actress, and if the hostility was from the get go, I never saw it. I guess (and I posted this elsewhere) they were professional enough not to let it bleed into the show/characters, because I could see the love and friendship between the sisters. Unlike other actors, who can't suck it up and do their jobs and the viewers have to suffer.

Ugh, TNT is entering the Billie Years cycle.  Big, pouty, shiny lips and no talent whatsoever.  Gotta find some other background viewing until we circle back to the beginning.  There isn't one single episode with Billie or her (even worse) sister that I can tolerate.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Ugh, TNT is entering the Billie Years cycle.  Big, pouty, shiny lips and no talent whatsoever.  Gotta find some other background viewing until we circle back to the beginning.  There isn't one single episode with Billie or her (even worse) sister that I can tolerate.

If you have POP TV, they're airing season two right now. This is where I'm getting my Beverly Hills, 90210 Early Years fix, as well as the early years of this show. Of course, on the weekends, they're in season five.

7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

If you have POP TV, they're airing season two right now.

Nope, no POP.  I only have it on in the background anyway. I will find something else.

• Love 1
On 7/23/2019 at 6:30 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:
On 4/5/2016 at 7:52 AM, Apprentice79 said:

Each sister would develop 3 distinct powers organically, in their fight against evil...One active, one defense and one passive that would work in tandem just like their ancestor Melinda Warren...

This is new to me. I wasn't aware of this.

This was one of the greatest missteps of the show's later seasons.  The sisters indeed were originally supposed to develop three powers each (which makes sense since Melinda had three and was considered a powerful witch in her day), and we had awesome discussions about what kind of powers the sisters would have or should have developed had TPTB done their due diligence with the characters.

Essentially one power would be an offensive power, one a defensive power, and one passive power.  When the original trio awakened their powers, it manifested exactly under those monikers for each sister:  Prue's TK was offensive, Piper's freeze was defensive and Phoebe's premonitions were passive. 

Prue's second power was called astral projection (although I always thought bilocation was a more accurate term) which could be considered a passive power.  If she had lived that meant she would have needed to develop a defensive power - perhaps she should have had the levitation power rather than Phoebe.

Piper needed an offensive power and a passive power.  Rather than the "molecular manipulation" she developed, she could have developed something like invisibility (passive) and maybe the power to rewind time for a few seconds (or minutes).

Phoebe could have developed her empathy power better, which could have been defensive or offensive.  She could have also developed telepathy.

Of course, we'll never really know.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, magicdog said:

This was one of the greatest missteps of the show's later seasons.  The sisters indeed were originally supposed to develop three powers each (which makes sense since Melinda had three and was considered a powerful witch in her day), and we had awesome discussions about what kind of powers the sisters would have or should have developed had TPTB done their due diligence with the characters.

Essentially one power would be an offensive power, one a defensive power, and one passive power.  When the original trio awakened their powers, it manifested exactly under those monikers for each sister:  Prue's TK was offensive, Piper's freeze was defensive and Phoebe's premonitions were passive. 

Prue's second power was called astral projection (although I always thought bilocation was a more accurate term) which could be considered a passive power.  If she had lived that meant she would have needed to develop a defensive power - perhaps she should have had the levitation power rather than Phoebe.

Piper needed an offensive power and a passive power.  Rather than the "molecular manipulation" she developed, she could have developed something like invisibility (passive) and maybe the power to rewind time for a few seconds (or minutes).

Phoebe could have developed her empathy power better, which could have been defensive or offensive.  She could have also developed telepathy.

Actually, I meant the behind the scenes stuff with Constance was new to me, not the different powers of the sisters. Like I posted, all I ever heard or read about was the hostility and clash between Shannen and Alyssa.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:14 PM, magicdog said:

I agree with your post.  Prue could levitate already and did not need it as a defensive power.  Her defensive power could be her conjuring objects to defend herself. I agree astral projection should have been called bilocation.  There was so much that could have been done with telekinesis. We saw that telekinetic wave that she used in morality bites. That would have been awesome to see. At her most powerful, Prue could think of something and it happens..

Piper's offensive and second power should have been the ability to create and control fire. Her third power should have been invisibility. Only her 2 sisters could see her when she is invisible and she can make others invisible as well. Piper could hide herself and an innocent with her invisibility power.   Her freezing powers should have advanced to the point that she could rewind, fast-forward and slow-down time. She can only manipulate events  with her freezing powers that she was a part of. She could be fighting with a demon for example and she makes a mistake and can manipulate time to stop that demon.

Phoebe's premonitions should have advanced to the point that it included aspects of telepathy and empathy. In season 2 she was able to connect with that evil female demon who was targeting men for death. She also did it with Bo in season 3. She could also get premonitions on command without touching.

Reflection should have been her defensive power.  Phoebe should have gotten that power instead of levitation. Whenever demons or warlocks use a power against her, Phoebe can reflect it back to the them to defend herself and others. Reflection combined with her premonitions would have made Phoebe a very powerful witch.  She also should have developed it towards the end of season 3. While Piper developed her second power in the beginning. 

Her offensive power is the ability to make her adversaries feel pain both emotional and physical..That could have been the power that she used to kill that man in morality bites. 

Edited by Pearson80
46 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

[Prue's] defensive power could be her conjuring objects to defend herself.

Conjuration.  Phoebe had that power briefly when she was possessed by the Woogy.  I agree it would be in character and based with Prue's mind based powers.

50 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Piper's offensive and second power should have been the ability to create and control fire.

I'm not sure about this one.  Her powers initially were time based and in keeping with her initial personality (shy, modest homebody).  The invisibility power as a passive power definitely fits.  I had thought perhaps her offensive power could have been a literal freeze (not unlike her evil self had in Season 3 or the version Prue had in her past self).

54 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Her freezing powers should have advanced to the point that she could rewind, fast-forward and slow-down time. She can only manipulate events  with her freezing powers that she was a part of. She could be fighting with a demon for example and she makes a mistake and can manipulate time to stop that demon.

ITA.  I had imagined perhaps she had super speed as part of that power.

55 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Phoebe's premonitions should have advanced to the point that it included aspects of telepathy and empathy. In season 2 she was able to connect with that evil female demon who was targeting men for death. She also did it with Bo in season 3. She could also get premonitions on command without touching

Once again, agreed.  Her premonitions never really advanced except for the episode, "The Eyes Have It" in which she mentioned feeling the heat of a premonition while wearing that necklace.  That's something Phoebe should have been able to use empathy.  I also thought they should have evolved not unlike Johnny Smith's abilities in the  "The Dead Zone" series.  At times, she would be an observer in her premonitions, and other times, taking the POV of the person taking action.  I did like that premonition she had about her little girl in the future in which her premonition self spoke to her current self.  Deflection would definitely have been a better defensive power than explaining it as part of her empathic abilities.  Her powers were always emotion based.  I also figured she would have been able to share pain or other feelings with others - being able to kill demons by making them feel the pain of their victims, but also share good feelings to help good people heal. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I'm not sure about this one.  Her powers initially were time based and in keeping with her initial personality (shy, modest homebody).  The invisibility power as a passive power definitely fits.  I had thought perhaps her offensive power could have been a literal freeze (not unlike her evil self had in Season 3 or the version Prue had in her past self).

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Piper had a fiery temper and fire could have come from that. I would want an offensive power that comes from Piper herself.  Her offensive power does not have to be time based. Invisibility being her third power would line perfectly with her need to hide herself from the world and the demons that are constantly after her.  

I said this in the TV Tropes thread but I was watching TNT this morning and I think it's a really cool trait that the ladies don't always drink alcohol, even when at P3.  As I said over there, it's not that I'm opposed to drinking, I'm all for it believe you me, but a lot times TV shows will portray their characters doing it routinely which, in real life, may be troublesome.  I like that the two most likely to consume, Prue and Piper, may be shown with an alcoholic drink or may be shown with sparkling water and it's typically done without comment.  (The end of Sin Francisco not withstanding.  But again, that was Piper assessing her indulgences earlier in the day and opting to sit out having a drink later that night.  Or at least she tries.  Prue does talk her into it.)  But my point is it wasn't routine for the ladies and I kind of respect that mostly for the fact that it was never talked about, it just was.  We know about Paige but Phoebe's seldom indulgence always interested me because it was reaaaaaaally done without comment and makes me wonder if Milano herself prefers to abstain more often than not and that became part of the character.  At one point Cole even points out that Phoebe doesn't drink and while that's not entirely true, it was rare.  

• Love 1
On 8/12/2019 at 4:03 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I've got the last nine episodes of season three on my dvr. I can't watch them because I know this is Shannen's last season and how Pru leaves the show.

Dammit.

I didn't discover the show until midway through Season 3 and I kept with it because of Shannen. When Prue died, I was all wtf? So I had to buy homemade dvds off someone online to get get caught up. And I became obsessed with the show after that.

• Love 1

Got the Season 2 blu-ray they just put out and watched it over the weekend. I love how sisterly they were in this season. I never really get that vibe with Paige. As much as the later seasons have some good episodes, I may stop buying them once they (hopefully) put out Season 3 on blu.

I love Morality Bites, but the story has some issues. The glaring 2009 future looking stuff, "Real World 18 on the Moon". Really? The fact that Prue dies before any of this takes place (I know it's a possible future shown), Pratt told Phoebe that her death was only the beginning of the witch burnings, so everyone's assertion that her death would end things makes no sense. They say they will keep an eye on Pratt, but what about the ballplayer that killed Phoebe's friend in the future? They say the Return Spell has disappeared from the BOS, but when Prue is flipping through it, the spell is clearly shown still there. 

• Love 1