Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Potential Energy and Hooch on a Park Bench

Bort
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

What grandmother agrees with her grandson’s decision to drop out of school?

I assumed Meemaw knew from experience that fighting a teen over something Meemaw couldn't control would just alienate him further. Better to keep him close and keep an eye on him. In the 80s-90s getting arrested for selling a little pot could mean years in prison. 
And by hiring him, MeeMaw does have some control and opportunities to teach him some life lessons about how it often is in the workforce. 

Hopefully we'll quickly learn whether or not I'm right about Meemaw's motivations when the show comes back January 6.

17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I assumed Meemaw knew from experience that fighting a teen over something Meemaw couldn't control would just alienate him further.

Also Meemaw has never been shy about voicing her opinion where Georgie's intelligence is concerned.  She probably figured that even staying on in high school was no guarantee he'd actually graduate.  This way at least he's working - and probably the same kinds of jobs he'd get whether he managed to get out of high school with a diploma or not. 

• Love 1

I loved the fact that after Sheldon "encouraged" Dr Linklater to talk to Dr Sturgis and ended up getting Dr Linklater to question the purpose of carrying on at Physics! It did seem that Dr Sturgis was actually happy in his new job. Oddly enough, Dr Sturgis quoting Camus' "Myth of Sisyphus" somewhat missed the point as Camus argued that we should find joy in even the absurd so "One must imagine Sisyphus happy"* (though since he was in Tartarus, the Greeks probably wouldn't agree).

Definitely think they should have encouraged Georgie to at least complete the year (I think he's about to graduate?) since he'd probably do well to have at least a basic qualification. Even  if he has a job for the present, Dale might drop dead tomorrow and then he'd be unemployed. Other people might not be so ready to take on a high school dropout.

Nice of Sheldon to point out Missy should also graduate, even if he did it in a typically Sheldonian way (though he wasn't wrong about it costing her a lot in pure dollar terms).

* Though I've never studied Camus, so my understanding is decidedly superficial