Type keyword(s) to search

Actors You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Jennifer Aniston done in the last 15 years that has been interesting, relevant, or even remotely successful? The last 10 years? The last 5?

um, she does some kind of skin care commercials or something. lmao Honestly, I never understood how she became famous. I guess cause she was the "pretty" one on Friends? I never got the appeal of that show so maybe her charms are lost on me. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

What in God's name has Jennifer Aniston done in the last 15 years that has been interesting, relevant, or even remotely successful? The last 10 years? The last 5?

Dumplin' is the only thing I've watched her in since Marley & Me, but she was good in it and it's a great movie.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Say what you want about Meghan Markle, at least she was on a successful show that was still on the air the year she got married. What in God's name has Jennifer Aniston done in the last 15 years that has been interesting, relevant, or even remotely successful? The last 10 years? The last 5? Dating and wearing boring black dresses don't count as talents in my book. I will say this, though: now that she's 50, the press will have to stop speculating whether or not she's pregnant. 

I have no idea. The only movie I liked was Marley and me. So many were just so weird. Like the one she falls in love with the gay man and is surprised when it doesn't work out or the one where she dates the same man who dated her mother and grandmother. Ew. Or the one where  she decided to have a baby on her own via a sperm donor and her friend switches the sperm with his own. She doesn't find out until years later but its okay because he's weird like her son so they end up together.  

• Love 1

Jennifer Aniston has always just kind of been there to me. I never saw anything to hate, she just seems inoffensive. I know part of my goodwill at the start probably came from her being Victor Kiriakis's real life daughter. I loved that evil old fart. I don't think I've seen her in anything in a while, but I liked her a lot in Office Space. I remember when the Jennifer/Angelina wars were going on and I was over in my corner thinking, it's Brad Pitt. Who would want him? He looks like he smells. 'Actor I can't stand' might be too strong for him but 'actor I just don't get the love' would fit.

• Love 5

Okay y'all I had to go look her up because I haven't seen any of the things mentioned here. Looks like she's worked pretty steady in movies. I've only seen Office Space, The Good Girl, Rock Star, and Horrible Bosses. I thought she was good in all of those.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, festivus said:

I was over in my corner thinking, it's Brad Pitt. Who would want him? He looks like he smells. 'Actor I can't stand' might be too strong for him but 'actor I just don't get the love' would fit.

Seriously! Not a prize worth fighting over. I was never a Brat Pitt fan. Never found him attractive and I assume he's a decent actor, but doesn't really do films I like so I don't see him much. I did love him in Fight Club, he was very good. Still not someone I would date but Jen Aniston isn't much of a catch either so I kind of got them as a couple. They were like the blandest "hot" couple ever. 

• Love 5

Greta reminded me to once again wonder why is Hollywood so invested in trying to make Chloe Grace Moretz happen? Other than If I Stay, every movie she's headlined has either outright flopped or under-performed.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

I neither love nor hate Jennifer Aniston, but I will say that she actually seems down to earth in the interview clips I've seen. I remember her being in tears (and it was genuine, or seemed so to me) over her dad getting fired from Days of Our Lives some years back (of course he was rehired). But yeah when I see or hear of "celebrities", who look like they think their stuff don't stink...one person I can say doesn't come across as "I'm so much more of a human being than you" is Jennifer Aniston.

Is she all that in terms of her talent ? No, but only about ten percent of Hollywood that gets accolades actually deserves it, and there's another five percent that doesn't get enough, and still another five percent vastly underrated.

Everyone else should be thankful when they get work, and get off their high horses, as far as I am concerned. 

• Love 10
On 4/25/2019 at 11:20 AM, festivus said:

I remember when the Jennifer/Angelina wars were going on and I was over in my corner thinking, it's Brad Pitt. Who would want him? He looks like he smells. 'Actor I can't stand' might be too strong for him but 'actor I just don't get the love' would fit.

I agree! He often seems to have an unwashed/oily look to him. As does Johnny Depp, who I actively avoid in any movie. 

• Love 5
On 4/27/2019 at 10:31 PM, ramble said:

I agree! He often seems to have an unwashed/oily look to him. As does Johnny Depp, who I actively avoid in any movie. 

Jason Momoa does as well. though I like him as a actor (hated Aquaman. though). But I saw him with his clean shaven face and I am not sure.....I think it's the first time I've seen him that way, but so far I like it. Scruff to me isn't all that sexy. It looks lazy and not all that clean.

• Love 3
On ‎04‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:34 PM, festivus said:

Okay y'all I had to go look her up because I haven't seen any of the things mentioned here. Looks like she's worked pretty steady in movies. I've only seen Office Space, The Good Girl, Rock Star, and Horrible Bosses. I thought she was good in all of those.

I thought she was good in Friends With Money.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:31 AM, ramble said:

Johnny Depp looks like he smells terrible. He has ever since he apparently decided Jack Sparrow was an aesthetic and not a costume.

Nothing could put me off buying a cologne more than seeing his grimy ass tooling around in an old convertible in the desert. I don't want to smell of sweat, greasy hair and dust, thanks.

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Johnny Depp looks like he smells terrible. He has ever since he apparently decided Jack Sparrow was an aesthetic and not a costume.

Have you seen his teeth?

Johnny-Depp-attends-the-Maltin-Modern-Ma

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Nothing could put me off buying a cologne more than seeing his grimy ash tooling around in an old convertible in the desert. I don't want to smell of sweat, greasy hair and dust, thanks.

Seriously! I can't believe someone thought he was a good choice to sell a fragrance. 

8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

yeah, IDK what happened. He was doing fine until Pirates. Then he seemed to become Jack Sparrow IRL permanently and it's all so strange. 

I didn't like him back in the day, when he was the "hearttrob", think Jump Street, Edward Scissorhands (though I like that movie, I wasn't all gaga over him) but then he "came into his look" for me, around Secret Window. And then he became a stinky, weird pirate and while I ADORED the first Pirates movie and loved Jack Sparrow, Depp just sort of went off the deep end and ruined it all. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Seriously! I can't believe someone thought he was a good choice to sell a fragrance. 

yeah, IDK what happened. He was doing fine until Pirates. Then he seemed to become Jack Sparrow IRL permanently and it's all so strange. 

I didn't like him back in the day, when he was the "hearttrob", think Jump Street, Edward Scissorhands (though I like that movie, I wasn't all gaga over him) but then he "came into his look" for me, around Secret Window. And then he became a stinky, weird pirate and while I ADORED the first Pirates movie and loved Jack Sparrow, Depp just sort of went off the deep end and ruined it all. 

I didn't like him back then either or now. The first Pirates movie and Benny and Joon were the only movies of his that I liked. But he ruined it with all of the following movies. My best friend loved him and I had to watch so many of his movies with her. I could never see why.  

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:50 AM, BrianJ1962 said:

What's with all these Scruffy looking athletes and actors

I don't mind a little scruffiness, but when they look like they haven't bathed in a week, yeah that's a real turn off.

• Love 7
On 5/10/2019 at 1:26 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Jason Mamoa, are you reading this?

Well, he HAS shaved his scruffy beard but only Miss Bonet and others near and dear to him can vouch re whether he regularly bathes. 

• LOL 6

I know Mr. Wagner was in Hart to Hart on TV but the bulk of his career has been in the movies so I'm putting my dislike here.

Even onscreen, IMO, he always came across as smarmy and self-important. Offscreen, IMO he has an unbelievable arrogance, temper and entitlement 'tude (and that's from the interviews and his own spinning bio). Oh, and I'd say all this even if I DID believe that his late wife Natalie Wood's death was purely a tragic accident. 

• Love 2

I debated between posting this here or in the Unpopular Opinions thread because I know it’s an UO, but here ya go. With the Mister Rogers movie trailer coming out it reminded me that, over time, I have come to deeply dislike Tom Hanks, the man who everyone seems to adore. Something about him gives me an off feeling. I can’t really define it but it’s a weird feeling and it makes me not like seeing him portray any character. It used to not be that way. I was never a big fan but I was neutral, now however I don’t want to see anything he’s in. Nope, big ole nope. 

• Love 1

I was a huge Tom Hanks fan but over time that has fizzled. I think it might be because now I don't see whatever character he is playing but Tom Hanks as whatever character. It is hard to put in words because he is a good actor so it's not like he's not acting and he doesn't seem that full of himself. Maybe it's just over saturation. I've just grown bored with him. 

I still think he seems like a good person and he is a good actor, but his name attached to a project doesn't make me instantly want to see it and I am kind of tired seeing him play real people. Disney, Sully, Mr. Rogers. IDK it's just odd. 

• Love 5
On ‎07‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, Mabinogia said:

I was a huge Tom Hanks fan but over time that has fizzled. I think it might be because now I don't see whatever character he is playing but Tom Hanks as whatever character. It is hard to put in words because he is a good actor so it's not like he's not acting and he doesn't seem that full of himself. Maybe it's just over saturation. I've just grown bored with him. 

I still think he seems like a good person and he is a good actor, but his name attached to a project doesn't make me instantly want to see it and I am kind of tired seeing him play real people. Disney, Sully, Mr. Rogers. IDK it's just odd. 

I'm kind of the opposite.  I liked Tom Hanks when he first showed up on the scene in silly comedies.  Then he decided he was a "SERIOUS" actor, and I got bored.  And then he was everywhere and I couldn't stand him.  I didn't see Apollo 13, despite being fascinated by the space program, until very recently because he was in it.  Now I'm back to thinking he's okay, although there are still plenty of his movies which don't interest me, but at least it's the subject not the actor.

Emile Hirsch showing up in the new Tarantino reminded me that I never saw what the big deal was about him when he was a male ingenue. He was a cute twink; that was pretty much it. There was a period where he gained a little weight making him really resemble Jack Black and I thought he was going to become a character actor but that didn't happen. He also lost the weight.

Jon Voight just made some comments that I consider rather inane. No, I'm not going to repeat them (and anyone can follow the 'Net trail to them easily). Anyway, I'll just quote what the character of Mother Dexter once said to the character of Phyllis Lindstrom on the latter's show, "You've certainly cleared up one question in my mind: You ARE even dumber than you look! "

• Love 4

Having finally seen Notting Hill this past weekend, I have to add: Julia Roberts.  I don't get the appeal.  The only performance of hers I've ever liked much was in Mystic Pizza, back before she was a star.  Now I just find her acting stilted and brittle and bland.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, starri said:

Julia Roberts is in the crew with Gwyneth Paltrow and Reese Witherspoon as actors I don't think I could stand in real life that I really enjoy watching in many roles.

I love Reese Witherspoon as an actress and as a businesswoman, but I think if I had to spend longer than five minutes in her company, I'd desperately want to clock her in her cute little ping-pong ball chin.

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, starri said:

Julia Roberts is in the crew with Gwyneth Paltrow and Reese Witherspoon as actors I don't think I could stand in real life that I really enjoy watching in many roles.

Add Anne Hathaway and Kirsten Dunst to that list.

• Love 2

I've disliked Julianne Moore ever since a friend (one of the sweetest people I know) said Moore was a real jerk to her during the filming of Hannibal. (Anthony Hopkins, on the other hand, treated everyone with respect and kindness.)

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I've disliked Julianne Moore ever since a friend (one of the sweetest people I know) said Moore was a real jerk to her during the filming of Hannibal. (Anthony Hopkins, on the other hand, treated everyone with respect and kindness.)

I have always disliked her for no good reason so thank you for giving me one. lol. She is one of those people who just rubbed me the wrong way from day one and I could never shake that first bad impression. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I have always disliked her for no good reason so thank you for giving me one. lol. She is one of those people who just rubbed me the wrong way from day one and I could never shake that first bad impression. 

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. She always seems so bland but there's no reason why I should dislike her, but there it is. Maybe our subconscious is picking up something.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. She always seems so bland but there's no reason why I should dislike her, but there it is. Maybe our subconscious is picking up something.

There are dozens of us...dozens!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I think Julianne Moore just has a sort of patrician coldness to her. She's a good actress, but I don't think she's someone many people would say they particularly like. I'm struggling to think of any role she's had where she was warm and friendly (maybe The Shipping News?). But it obviously works for her, because she's had sustained success that seems to be showing no sign of slowing down.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I'm struggling to think of any role she's had where she was warm and friendly (maybe The Shipping News?).

I think that describes her in Boogie Nights.

She got her start on As The World Turns, and after it was finally canceled about ten years ago, she came back for a cameo appearance, and looked like she was having a marvelous time doing it.  She's aces for doing that, in my book.

• Love 8

My friend was on staff at one of the Hannibal locations so maybe Moore didn't feel the need to be polite to a non-industry person she would likely never see again after filming wrapped. Or maybe she was just having a hard time during the shoot. Who knows?

But the mention of Boogie Nights reminds me that I'm not a fan of Mark Wahlberg either. Even setting aside his history, I just don't get his appeal. But I haven't seen anything of his in at least 10 years, so maybe he's improved.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

But the mention of Boogie Nights reminds me that I'm not a fan of Mark Wahlberg either. Even setting aside his history, I just don't get his appeal. But I haven't seen anything of his in at least 10 years, so maybe he's improved.

I will forever believe that Mark Wahlberg is the A-lister people hire when the A-listers they actually wanted all said no. He has no range, no ability to emote, can barely even play an everyman convincingly, yet keeps getting cast in leading roles. His movies make money, which is utterly beyond me. I wouldn't go and watch one of his films in the cinema for free.

And in the last few years he's been trying to frame himself as a real American hero - inserting himself in the Boston Marathon Bombing, the Deepwater Horizon disaster, the war in Afghanistan and probably more. None of it convinces, because he always comes across to me as 100% an asshole.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

And in the last few years he's been trying to frame himself as a real American hero - inserting himself in the Boston Marathon Bombing, the Deepwater Horizon disaster, the war in Afghanistan and probably more. None of it convinces, because he always comes across to me as 100% an asshole.

Well, if he'd inserted himself into 9/11, it apparently wouldn't have happened.

• Love 2

I thought Mark Wahlberg was fantastic in Boogie Nights , but after that, I really expected more from him.   I don't care for what I've heard about him as a person, but as for acting?  I don't mind if he's in a movie that I want to see--I just thought we'd see better stuff from him.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:05 PM, Shannon L. said:

I thought Mark Wahlberg was fantastic in Boogie Nights , but after that, I really expected more from him.   I don't care for what I've heard about him as a person, but as for acting?  I don't mind if he's in a movie that I want to see--I just thought we'd see better stuff from him.

The problem with Mark Wahlberg is that he is at his best playing either an anti-hero (Dirk) or a flat-out villain (Fear) but for whatever reason he keeps playing the All-American hero roles instead, which don't really suit him.

He was actually supposed to play Bradley Cooper's role in Silver Linings Playbook, but he had a conflict and David O'Russell didn't want to wait. He must've been pissssssseeeeed when Bradley got an Oscar nom out of it.

I could have actually seen him in this part, because Pat is supposed to be kind of an insane asshole.

• Love 3
On 8/22/2019 at 4:56 PM, cpcathy said:

I don't dislike Julianne Moore, but I've never actively gone to see anything she is in. Her teeth seem weird to me. And I've seen some stuff on TV that she was horrible in.

Julianne Moore gets one point from me because she has no issue bringing up her Soap Opera days. 

On 9/1/2019 at 2:57 AM, methodwriter85 said:

The problem with Mark Wahlberg is that he is at his best playing either an anti-hero (Dirk) or a flat-out villain (Fear) but for whatever reason he keeps playing the All-American hero roles instead, which don't really suit him.

He was good in Fear.  I remember sneaking into that movie with a few friends.   Other then that I was never the biggest fan.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Julianne Moore gets one point from me because she has no issue bringing up her Soap Opera days.  

That's the only part I like too. I hate when stars forget, ignore or get annoyed about where they came from. Especially soaps. I'm not a fan of George Clooney but I did like that he returned to ER when Carol left.  Or on Castle when Castle says he got his first book idea from watching One Life to Life which Nathan Fillion got his start on One Life to Live and he returned to the soap 2007 for the show's 9,999 and 10,000 episodes. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

I mean, the way soaps are filmed have changed a lot now, but in the 70's and 80's, it really was the equivalent to performing theater 5 times a week. There's a reason why so many good actors came out of them.

He was good in Fear.  I remember sneaking into that movie with a few friends.   Other then that I was never the biggest fan.  

The problem with putting him in All-American hero type roles is that he reads so much as a smarmy douche that I just don't buy him in them. It's kind of like how Adam Devine keeps getting cast as the likeable Joe Schmoe next door (similar to Jack Black or Seth Rogen a decade ago) but his face is so incredibly punchable.

I did, however, enjoy Adam in Isn't It Romantic, which starred Rebel Wilson, who I normally can't stand but the movie worked for me.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4