Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E14: Country Chaos

• Start Topic

What exactly was that meal they had?  I saw jars of Spaghetti sauce on the counter!

They were discussing what type of pasta to make, so ... pasta. And Jose grilled chicken. So I'm guessing pasta and sauce plus chicken.

surely he could have found a friend or relative to look after Hype. 

Maybe he asked them first if it was ok? Even when I have lost a dog, I'm happy to be around others so it might not have bothered Brett. Honestly, it can be really difficult to find someone to look after a dog on short notice - all the boarding places around here book up far in advance. And I'm picky about who takes care of my dogs. I'd cancel a trip before I'd leave my dogs with just anyone. 

Finally, we really only saw Hype when they first arrived. I wonder if he was there but spent time in the bunkhouse with Production? My dogs would have been salivating by the grill over that chicken.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think that's only because they think we're closer to naked than when we're glammed up.

Also, just as a general PSA, there's a difference between "disinterested" and "uninterested."  "Disinterested" doesn't mean you're not interested--it means you're unbiased.  I'm sure it's going to eventually go the route of "literally" and "figuratively," where misuse is so prevalent that it changes the meaning, and leaves the original with two opposite meanings and in the case of "literally," no substitute for when you really mean "literally," but I'll always regret not sounding the alarm earlier on that one.

Think about judges.  Most people would not want an uninterested judge, who's scrolling Instagram while the parties present their case.  But they do want a disinterested judge--one who listens to the facts and bases a decision only on those facts. 

You respect language. We can be friends. <3

• Love 7
On 10/21/2021 at 1:16 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Ryan did seem a bit more interested once Brett spoke up. Maybe she was just too nice 

Men like bitchy wives. Ask my husband!  Lol

They don’t want a doormat .. they want someone with some spunk.  He needs someone who gives him a hard time and be challenged.  No dirty clothes on the floor either.  He didn’t even kiss her on the lips yet, did he?  Nothing.  Boobs didn’t work either.  Maybe bad breath?  Sometimes certain people have an odor about them coming from the pores.  It can’t be helped either.  It’s got to be something .. I can’t figure it out.  All I see is he’s a sourpuss.  Shouldn’t of came on the show like this.  Wonder if he told one of the experts what was the reason he doesn’t want her.  I have to know as I feel so bad for her after the dog and all.  I have to add .. the girl just went thru trauma wth the dog.  You would think he would put his arms around her and hold her all night like a normal person would do.  Even if they were only friends.  What kind of person is that?

Edited by kristen111
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Finally, we really only saw Hype when they first arrived. I wonder if he was there but spent time in the bunkhouse with Production?

The arrival wasn't the only time.  As @psychoticstate said:

So Bao gets woken up and is listening and then watching (once the screaming match moves into the hallway) in horror.  Even Hype, who is chilling in his bed, is looking at these two like "People, please."  Love Hype!  

I liked that choice on the part of the editors.  When the pit bull mix is the most calm one...

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Kayla is not well and should be severely embarrassed by last night's show. For one. She should be embarrassed by most of her episodes but last night's was the end-all be-all. Zach is so beta and as annoying as she is.

Myrla does not have time for any of these people.

Gil does a lot of criticizing for someone whose clothes are 2 sizes too small for him.

Ryan should have left with Zach because he's useless and I'm glad Brett told him to sleep anywhere but her bed. 

Never noticed til this ep just how small in stature Jose is. That's why he has to control and carry on. 

Very well said IMHO. Perhaps my favorite character this week — certainly the one most abused for no reason  — was the vacation house. I can't figure out if it should be referred to as a McBarnSion, or is it more of a McMansion Barn? Also, it looked like an industrial space that had been converted into a barn, then turned into said McMansion? Does this happen a lot in Texas? Can anyone enlighten this Ohioan b/c I NEED to be in the know if a new "Mc" is ascending upon us. It did look posh (minus the 99 cent cowboy hats and cans of tomato sauce etc.— has there ever been a stranger combo?) but it was obviously oddly uncategorizable to me. 

Edited by Mrs. Button
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mrs. Button said:

Also, it looked like an industrial space that had been converted into a barn, then turned into said McMansion? Does this happen a lot in Texas? Can anyone enlighten this Ohioan b/c I NEED to be in the know if a new "Mc" is ascending upon us. It did look posh (minus the 99 cent cowboy hats and cans of tomato sauce etc.— has there ever been a stranger combo?) but it was obviously oddly uncategorizable to me.

Yeah, about the "posh."  I thought so, until I saw them sitting on the porch and thought, "That's a metal building, not a ranch house."

They're sometimes called pole barns, and this one looked to be intended as a residence, rather than converted from something else.  But you're right--such buildings used to be used as storage facilities or garages. 

Interestingly, manufactured houses are also metal buildings intended to be a residence, but looked down upon (e.g., a "double-wide").  I guess their problem is that they're just not big enough, or painted red.

It's not a Mc word, but try looking up "barndominium." 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

Men like bitchy wives. Ask my husband!  Lol

They don’t want a doormat .. they want someone with some spunk.

Men aren't all the same. They don't all want the same thing. To make this relevant to the show, I don't think Jose wants a bitchy, spunky wife. I think he would be happy with someone even more doormatish than Rachel. I'm not bitchy (though I can be) generally speaking and my husband likes me.

It’s got to be something .. I can’t figure it out.

He's just not attracted to her. She doesn't have to have bad breath or body odor or be too nice or too much of a doormat. He's just not into her. There were plenty of nice, perfectly "good" guys with no particular specific flaws that I knew and I wasn't attracted to them either. Sometimes it's just not there.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The arrival wasn't the only time.  As @psychoticstate said:

I liked that choice on the part of the editors.  When the pit bull mix is the most calm one...

Bummer - I'm sorry I didn't catch that. I love Hype. Our pit mix was the calmest dog ever, given to sleeping on his back with all four paws up in the air, snoring. Always ready for a belly rub. God rest his sweet soul...

Yeah, about the "posh."  I thought so, until I saw them sitting on the porch and thought, "That's a metal building, not a ranch house."

I still think it's pretty posh. Someone posted the VBRO link somewhere. It's huge - it sleeps like 28 people or something. It rents for about $1,400 a night, I think. I liked it. If I planned to ever go back to Texas, I'd stay there.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mrs. Button said:

Very well said IMHO. Perhaps my favorite character this week — certainly the one most abused for no reason  — was the vacation house. I can't figure out if it should be referred to as a McBarnSion, or is it more of a McMansion Barn? Also, it looked like an industrial space that had been converted into a barn, then turned into said McMansion? Does this happen a lot in Texas? Can anyone enlighten this Ohioan b/c I NEED to be in the know if a new "Mc" is ascending upon us. It did look posh (minus the 99 cent cowboy hats and cans of tomato sauce etc.— has there ever been a stranger combo?) but it was obviously oddly uncategorizable to me. 

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

They're sometimes called pole barns, and this one looked to be intended as a residence, rather than converted from something else.  But you're right--such buildings used to be used as storage facilities or garages. 

Interestingly, manufactured houses are also metal buildings intended to be a residence, but looked down upon (e.g., a "double-wide").  I guess their problem is that they're just not big enough, or painted red.

40 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I still think it's pretty posh. Someone posted the VBRO link somewhere. It's huge - it sleeps like 28 people or something. It rents for about $1,400 a night, I think. I liked it. If I planned to ever go back to Texas, I'd stay there.

https://www.vrbo.com/1186821?arrival=2022-10-03&departure=2022-10-07&unitId=1737579

Posting again for ease of locating ranch VRBO listing, for reference to this discussion. Sleeps 28 - 8 bedrooms, 16 beds.

Edited by Cancun

It's probably a good thing Michaela's sister took her home before breakfast. If she were normal, I'd wonder how she could face everyone after that. But she's not, so she'd probably continue the crazy & just act like she did nothing inappropriate. 😅😂

• Love 1

Bahaha! They acknowledged starting out with 8 & ending with 8, yet one couple isn't wearing their rings & one is, but spent no time together. So. Really it's 4. The ring play was interesting. The dysfunctional bunch alternated Michaela's was off, then on by the end while Zack was the opposite. Ryan stopped wearing his after he had to sleep on the couch. I wonder when Brett stopped wearing hers. It should've been when he started sleeping in the other room. 😅

• Love 1
On 10/20/2021 at 9:21 PM, Cancun said:

The VRBO listing for the ranch. As usual, the beds/bedroom drama was manufactured. No need for anyone to sleep on the couch when there are 8 bedrooms and 16 beds!  The pictures of the upstairs “kids area” with multiple built-in bunks would have been fine for anyone who didn’t want to share a room with their spouse.  I’m looking at you, Ryan and Johnny 👀

I’d guess the rest of the rooms were for production.   Producers and camera crew would need to be onsite 24/7 to capture (or facilitate)any and all drama 

On 10/21/2021 at 5:59 PM, Jax7917 said:

Yes , Michaela is loud and explosive , but he’s very immature and I think he’d fail in any marriage he was in . 

I agree Zach isn’t perfect, but I do think he would have done well with a different partner who was more calm and logical.  He reminds me of Miles from NO with the emotions and immaturity.   I think a Karen type would have been a better match for Zach.   

michaela on the other hand…I don’t know what kind of man could make it work long term with her.  The violent tantrums and sudden mood swings are a not wifey material.

When Michaela was talking about being petty, everyone was laughing, but Zach was definitely taking note.   Her examples about being handy and taking apart a washing machine agitator were waaay to specific for it not to be something she’s done before.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Zack sure buttered up Michaela real quick before asking if they'd be sleeping together. Interesting timing. 🤔 Made me think of the love bombing Michaela said he does on Unfiltered. It seemed a bit much & totally calculated.

• Love 1

Zack said what needed to be said, but said it in a weak way. Quiet & rushed. WEAK! & he didn't say enough. That behavior (JUMPING UP & RUNNING AWAY, YELLING, ETC) is unacceptable & will not be happening anymore because we won't be having those discussions. That simple! I doubt Michaela would've behaved if he had been firmer in his delivery. Just can't stop her crazy! 😅 Their struggle conversations kinda remind me of Bao & Johnny, but Johnny doesn't act crazy. The way Zack was looking at Michaela at dinner: HILARIOUS! He said he hated that (pettiness) about her during the game & got mad about that. Guess he was exhausted by all that by the time she got in bed, yet he was going to sleep with her! Riiiight

• Love 1

I had to laugh at Ryan accusing Brett of "making a scene." She's talking in a calm tone that's almost monotonous. Yes, she's saying something he doesn't really want to hear, but that's a scene? So of course, Production edits this so that the very next scene is Zack's divorce-but-not-really word salad and Michaela's invisible flyswatting response. You see, Ryan? That is how a conversation becomes "a scene." 🙄

• Love 12
12 hours ago, After7Only said:

Her examples about being handy and taking apart a washing machine agitator were waaay to specific for it not to be something she’s done before.   

That also goes with her saying she would take the smoke alarm batteries and Zack had said that she took all the spices when she moved out of their apartment. She is no one to mess with!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

That also goes with her saying she would take the smoke alarm batteries and Zack had said that she took all the spices when she moved out of their apartment. She is no one to mess with!

I think she taunted him about the spices during one of her tirades!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

My god, this woman is dangerous.  I wish her sisters had said something to production about her mental state when they found out she'd been selected.  

• Love 6
On 10/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, NoWhammies said:

At the very least, big experienced gun guy Ryan should have told her to seat the shotgun against her shoulder when she shot it because it was going to kick like a mule. She made a common beginners' mistake and left a gap between the gun butt and her shoulder, which is why it kicked her so hard. It's evident in the nighttime scene when Zac is trying to leave and Bao has a huge bruise on that arm where the gun kicked her

Good eye...I didn't see that.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:10 PM, TheBride said:

Ryan is trying to blame Brett. "I was trying to be an adult." Ha. Really? He's out of ideas and sounds like an idiot.

Prior to that statement of Ryan's, I had just thought he was a harmless guy who was a chicken about straight-talking.  But with that statement, I started to see him in a different light.  That was a low blow, designed to score points at someone else's expense when he knew he was losing.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Also, just as a general PSA, there's a difference between "disinterested" and "uninterested."  "Disinterested" doesn't mean you're not interested--it means you're unbiased.  I'm sure it's going to eventually go the route of "literally" and "figuratively," where misuse is so prevalent that it changes the meaning, and leaves the original with two opposite meanings and in the case of "literally," no substitute for when you really mean "literally," but I'll always regret not sounding the alarm earlier on that one.

I went down a rabbit hole looking this up because I was very curious, and it's not quite so straightforward.  Merriam Webster's first definition of "disinterested" is actually "not interested" and "no longer interested".  And some website (sorry, don't remember which) said that the usage differences that Statistical Outlier mentions above, are already themselves representative of changes in meaning, since originally 'uninterested' had more of the 'impartial' meaning, and 'disinterested' had the 'not interested' meaning, but that they've switched over time. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 2

Just imagine someone taking Michaela out to a restaurant or among a group of people, she's unhappy or disappointed in something, and she starts waving her arms around like a maniac.  Good grief.  Someone needs to show her clips of herself on this show so can she can finally see how batshit crazy she looks.  Then maybe she'll get help.  

• Love 4
16 hours ago, After7Only said:

michaela on the other hand…I don’t know what kind of man could make it work long term with her.  The violent tantrums and sudden mood swings are a not wifey material.

Ike Turner?

Nah, even Michaela deserved better than that.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Just imagine someone taking Michaela out to a restaurant or among a group of people, she's unhappy or disappointed in something, and she starts waving her arms around like a maniac.

She seems to wave them from side to side when she’s upset.  Or sort of angled.  If she thinks something is funny she seems to pump them up and down. Almost like a cheerleader.   Which is also  very odd to watch.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

She seems to wave them from side to side when she’s upset.  Or sort of angled.  If she thinks something is funny she seems to pump them up and down. Almost like a cheerleader.   Which is also  very odd to watch.  

I thought she looked like a very angry windmill...

• LOL 6
7 hours ago, Retired at last said:

That also goes with her saying she would take the smoke alarm batteries

I have to say, I have an imagination for the nefarious, and even I had never thought of taking the batteries out of a smoke alarm.  That borders on playing the long game, and I admire it.

6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

And some website (sorry, don't remember which) said that the usage differences that Statistical Outlier mentions above, are already themselves representative of changes in meaning, since originally 'uninterested' had more of the 'impartial' meaning, and 'disinterested' had the 'not interested' meaning, but that they've switched over time. 

So I guess we're going to alternate meanings over periods of time.  Swell.   

Really, all I ask is that meanings stay fixed for the few decades (in the grand scheme of things) during which I'm roaming the earth.  I'm still mourning "literally" and "discomfit."

6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Well, they are post marital assets.  I guess a lawyer will have to figure out who gets the oregano and who gets the cinnamon.

Texas is a community property state, so if these were bought with community funds, each of them has an undivided one-half interest in the oregano and an undivided one-half interest in the cinnamon. 

That'll be $500, please.  😀

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I don't even think she was joking.  She.would.actually.take.the.smoke alarm.batteries.

She needs to be locked up in an asylum.

Or charged with manslaughter if someone dies in a fire! That’s some serious  Lifetime movie shit. 

• Love 5
On 10/20/2021 at 6:38 PM, Straycat80 said:

Don’t all the couples live in the same building? Can’t Michaela get a ride home with any one of them? 

No.  Nobody is going to get into a car with her.  Maybe Bao.  But even she looked scared.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 10/20/2021 at 8:52 PM, CSunshine76 said:

Are you serious? Driving from Brenham to Houston? You’d be on major highways the entire time. It’s not Vidor in the 1960s. Good Lord.

I dunno brah.  I got pulled over and searched twice when I lived in TX driving in the middle of nowhere.  They asked if I had guns and drugs.  When I said no, they searched my car anyways. I was wearing a button down and kakis. I work in Corporate America, not that it should matter.  It took over an hour each time.  Totally wasting my time and freaking me out not knowing if they were going to go all George Floyd on me.  In the current environment, I would not drive through certain states alone. But if I had to pick between driving home alone and sleeping in the room with Hurrican K, I would have to do the drive. Not even a close choice.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 10/22/2021 at 11:46 PM, After7Only said:

I think a Karen type would have been a better match for Zach.    

I agree.  Zach seems to prefer women that are easy going and chill.  I believe Christine (Philly) and Vanessa (Atlanta) would have been good matches too.  I would give my right arm to see Michaela matched with Chris from Atlanta.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

I agree.  Zach seems to prefer women that are easy going and chill.  I believe Christine (Philly) and Vanessa (Atlanta) would have been good matches too.  I would give my right arm to see Michaela matched with Chris from Atlanta.  

Yeah, I would love to see him tell her she didn’t like HER face!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 10/21/2021 at 4:22 PM, greeneyedscorpio said:

Extroverts generally don't understand introverts and in my experience, they don't have much patience for our ways.  At first I thought Myrla was a snob (and she is in many ways, like insisting on the finer things) but introverts get drained by crowds and a lot of socializing.  Doesn't mean they don't like people or think they're better.  Doesn't mean they're not social, just means they need their alone time to re-charge.  I see that in her for sure. 

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool introvert. I don't like going anywhere with anybody. But I know how to be congenial and friendly in situations that are social. I also think Myrla's a snob, and in all the group scenes she comes off like she thinks she's above her company.

I really just came to agree that was super irresponsible of these producers to put Michaela on TV, let alone marrying her to another person.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool introvert. I don't like going anywhere with anybody. But I know how to be congenial and friendly in situations that are social. I also think Myrla's a snob, and in all the group scenes she comes off like she thinks she's above her company.

I really just came to agree that was super irresponsible of these producers to put Michaela on TV, let alone marrying her to another person.

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that the show has now become "performance art" rather than how it began as a genuine means to match a couple interested in "marriage" based upon established criteria from experts.

This season and the last have been doomed by issues such as you mention, i.e., bringing Jerry Springer-type participants (sorry to categorize people with obvious mental health conditions that way but that's what I'm seeing) to a staged multi-episode version of a TV shock-reality show.

In hindsight, I believe that with the "spin-off" shows individuals who want his/her "15 mins of fame" (for some it's much longer, like with Jamie Otis) become participants.  Add to that the apparent feature of monetizing his/her social-media presence adds to the allure of participating in the show.  However, that comes at a price:  Being potentially stripped of your dignity and reputation and calling into question each and every character/behavioral trait you have. 

The pairings this season, in particular, have made a mockery of the original MAFS concept and destroyed what little credibility the experts had (if they ever had any credibility). 

Indeed, as you rightly point out, the out-of-control behavior of such as Jose and Michaela should have immediately disqualified each to continue with filming. 

That paired with the potentially dangerous gun handling scene (think Alex Baldwin catastrophe) conspired to create the antithesis of the romantic experience most viewers anticipate when tuning into the show

• Love 8
On 10/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, Vanderboom said:

I had to laugh at Ryan accusing Brett of "making a scene." She's talking in a calm tone that's almost monotonous. Yes, she's saying something he doesn't really want to hear, but that's a scene? So of course, Production edits this so that the very next scene is Zack's divorce-but-not-really word salad and Michaela's invisible flyswatting response. You see, Ryan? That is how a conversation becomes "a scene." 🙄

On 10/23/2021 at 12:44 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Prior to that statement of Ryan's ("I was trying to be an adult..."), I had just thought he was a harmless guy who was a chicken about straight-talking.  But with that statement, I started to see him in a different light.  That was a low blow, designed to score points at someone else's expense when he knew he was losing. 

Ok, unpopular opinion here, but I know what Ryan meant by all this because honestly I would have done the same thing...

Bedrooms were limited so he thought, we can be adults about it and sleep in the same room/bed during the retreat. Doesn't mean I'm going to try any hanky-panky. Doesn't mean I suddenly caught feelings. We are just sharing a room because we are on a trip and rooms are limited. 

When he said he didn't want to cause a scene, he meant he didn't want to make it a "thing" in which all attention would be on them because they couldn't figure out their sleeping arrangement.

I agree with him. I mean they are married. They're not actively fighting like Michaela and Zack. They're not openly insulting each other like Bao and Johnny. If I was Brett, I would have shared a bed with him platonically. But that's just me.

Also.....

Johnny: "Do you like road trips."

Bao: "when I'm in good company."

🔥burn🔥

I laughed.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 7

I'm proud of Brett for not just going along with Ryan trying to volunteer them sharing a room, especially after he was a rude, pissy bitch on the drive there. Disagreeing & saying she wants a separate room was being "an adult" & made no scene at any point. It's about damn time she pushed back. They should've discussed it before he tried to volunteer them. They've been working separately up til then, why start being a unit then? 😂 He doesn't speak for her. They are not a couple. His dumbass couldn't even say why it mattered that they slept in different rooms when they've been doing so for weeks! He wanted just wanted a bed. So bad he even tried sleeping with Johnny! Too bad they didn't have to share the sectional. 😂😂

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 1
On 10/21/2021 at 9:23 AM, suzeecat said:

She probably got paid extra/bonus for the added entertainment value.  Reality gold, right there!!!

Too bad they couldn't have matched her up with our dear Chris from last season.  Woo-boy, now THAT would have been interesting!!!

She would have beat the smile off of my man Chris' face in five seconds flat.  She would have thrown a brick through his luxury care and keyed it.  And keyed his face too.  Chris was able to bullshit Paige, but he wouldnt be able to do that to Machala.  

• LOL 10

Oh my goodness, they come in kits! Meanwhile the one on top of this page looks like like the dressed-down version of their house, minus the bells and whistles: https://www.worldwidesteelbuildings.com/steel-buildings/barndominiums/

I guess the metal would be a dealbreaker for some (*cough*Myrla*cough*)

I think the preface "mc" implies the veneer of luxury over something that is not always structurally sound or classic in the architectural sense of the word. So barndominiums are definitely on the same family tree IMO.

I agree with those who said she is somewhat evenly matched with Chris and pretty much no one else we have seen on this show so far. He would go toe to toe with her and never back down. One wouldn't make it out.

My $ is on Michaela FTW since she is craftier — you can tell she is something of a planner — and could probably come up with a pretty good booby trap. She'd poison him or do something super villainous. Chris is just loud and more of your garden variety narcissist.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:57 AM, Spectator said:

This is really pissing me off. The girl is sending out major signals that she needs serious counseling and all of the people in a position to actually help her are completely ignoring them. Instead they are blaming Zach for not being understanding of her issues??? Wtf???

I agree.  The producers and experts should try to help her. I actually think it was a valid excuse not to call Zack's brothers.  If she is having such a mental break that she cant keep it together, they are the last people she should talk. I am starting to feel bad for Machala.  I didnt realize her mental health issues were this bad.  They should try to help her.  Bao tried, but then saw the Cat 3 hurricane and ended up trying to shield Ryan from her when she was pacing back and forth deciding whether she was going to fight him. Ryan looked kinda freaked out.  Nobody was trying to get on her bad side.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2021 at 10:20 AM, psychoticstate said:

Gil, honey, I am not as "princessy" as Myrla but I'd be thrilled too if someone told me they had booked the penthouse suite at the Ritz Carlton for me.  Just saying

I stayed at the Ritz for Christmas time.  It wasn't the penthouse, but it cost $2800/night.  If Gil makes $40/hr, how many weeks of work would it take Gil to stay for 1 night? This is not realistic, unless Gil replaces Jamie O and picks up a few modeling contracts. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

For me the most annoying thing about Myrla is that she manages to be critical even when she's having a good time. She just strikes me as one of those people who "tell is like it is," and seem to think that constantly voicing their every opinion and thought is a good quality. It's also her general tone of voice and demeanor. Imagine the difference between "I liked the horseback riding but I wanted to go faster" and "I liked the horseback riding and think we should do it again some time." 

I'm like Gil in that having to hear a constant stream of negativity would definitely start to wear on me. 

• Love 8
On 10/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, Crashcourse said:

I never thought I'd get to the point where I could take Myrla's diva behavior, but she's grown on me.  Not that I "like" her, but I do like that she's no drama queen.

I'm never going to "like" Myrla, and being friends with her would be utterly exhausting, but I have grown to appreciate that she recognizes exactly who she is. She knows she's a pain in the ass and hard to satisfy. She actually does have a sense of humor about herself, which didn't really come through until the last episode or two. She was able to laugh at herself during the "most likely to" game and that finally showed me some self awareness. She's not my type of person, but I no longer have the same completely negative view of her that I did. 

• Love 10
On 10/21/2021 at 4:51 PM, Spectator said:

There was a scene in Mikaela’s and Zack’s apartment when Mikaela was sitting at a table and Zack complimented her on her natural hair and natural look. He was right. She looked great that day and I’ve never seen her sport that look since. Her hair was styled plainly around her head, without extensions or the hair bands and clips that make the “poodle ‘doo” she’s been showcasing lately (where her hair is basically pulled flat as a pancake on the top of her head then breaks into a huge puff at the back….Not good). I think her hair would benefit from a lot less tension. funny enough, so would her personality and demeanor, for that matter.

Almost every guy I know prefers women with a natural look. All the time and money we ladies spend on our hair and makeup, and men seem most attracted to us when we are chilling out, hair down and make up-free, in shorts snd a t-shirt. Go figure. Lol

I prefer Black women with natural hair.  I used to prefer Black women with straightened White hair. But different folks for different folks.

• Useful 2
On 10/21/2021 at 12:57 PM, Spectator said:

Omg! Why do Jamie and Dr Viv continue to excuse Mikaela’s behavior??! 

This is really pissing me off. The girl is sending out major signals that she needs serious counseling and all of the people in a position to actually help her are completely ignoring them. Instead they are blaming Zach for not being understanding of her issues??? Wtf??? I’m willing to bet that no mafs participant, Zach included, sign up for the show expecting to have to navigate serious UNADDRESSED mental health issues with their spouse. Zach didn’t sign up for this so the show really should not criticize him for reacting to her repeated outbursts. 

I would have been out of there a long time ago if I were Zach. 

On 10/21/2021 at 1:07 PM, kristen111 said:

Does Zack need to be hit on his head with a shovel?  Dump the nut job, and go on your way Decision Day.  It will never work.  What’s wrong with him?

I've been thinking about this and I think the reason Zack and Jamie/Dr. Viv are tippy-toeing around Michaela because they're all deathly afraid of her and don't want to provoke her to any kind of violent episodes directed at them.  I think Zack suggesting that they get divorced and then date was his way of trying not to set her off but instead it had the opposite affect.  He was afraid to tell her it's going to be splitsville after decision day because he thought her reaction to that would be worse.  I think he may have been right about that.  Just because she reacted negatively to his suggestion doesn't mean she wouldn't have reacted even worse if he had just said he's going to end things altogether after decision day.

I noticed on that special they had mid season all the women seemed "team Michaela" through and through.  I couldn't believe it.  Again, they're all deathly afraid.  Maybe the producers told them to act that way.

• Love 4
On 10/21/2021 at 11:37 PM, Spectator said:

It is really obvious that Myrla and Gil are older than the typical MAFS couple. i assume they both have decent dating experience and that experience shows in how they communicate. Neither of them flip out (or flip benches!) if the other one does or says something less than complimentary. It’s so healthy. I hope MAFS continues to cast at least older couple every season. These 20 somethings who haven’t had a serious relationship for 8 or 10 years (or ever!) can be very hard to watch. 

They aren't really older than anyone but Zack this season, but I think they seem older because they are in many ways more mature than the rest of them.  And I say that in spite of some of their more annoying behaviors.  Also, not that you've said this, but I think it's unfair to Myrla to characterize her as being "snobby" or thinking she's better than the rest of them because truth be told, both she and Gil are on another level emotionally and just don't want to get that close to the others because of that.  I can sympathize with that as I'd probably feel the same way if I had to be around that bunch for that long.  Of course I am at least 25 years older than the rest of them, but from the looks on Gil and Myrla's faces they're internally rolling their eyes and shaking their heads a lot just like I am.  Can't fault them for that!

• Love 2
On 10/22/2021 at 8:21 AM, Jax7917 said:

I think Gil knows it will never realistically work between him and Myrla, so is just playing along and being a good sport in the meantime. Yeah he picks at her a lot, but he never yells at her or gets out of line. He just is honest that she is acting like a brat, which she is 99 % of the time. She brings nothing to the table. She isn't fun, always complains, doesn't socialize with other people, and thinks pecking someone you are married to on the lips is a humongous step. She is lucky he is being as nice as he is.

I think at this point Gil thinks he can handle Myrla and call her on her shit enough to get her to stop complaining so much and acting like a stick in the mud.  He may still get fed up with her eventually if she doesn't stop some of that crap, though.  I actually think her problems are like annoying ticks that are probably more easily fixed than other deep rooted psychological issues like the kind Michaela and Johnny have.  She seems to like him enough that she might actually give a little on her rigid stance about things.  Whether it will be enough is anybody's guess at this point.  And I don't buy that the two of them haven't had sex by now or at least done everything except a-into-b intercourse.  Their body language together has changed enough to make me think that's happening and they just don't want to be public about it.  

• Love 4
On 10/22/2021 at 10:13 AM, BluBarbi98 said:

Agreed! I think this was the real issue he had with her wanting separate bedrooms and him deciding to move out. Michaela has OBVIOUS anger issues that ABSOLUTELY need to be addressed but Zach is NOT honest with himself or others about how he's contributing to the situation. If he really is fearing for his life then he should leave and should have left weeks ago!

Like I said in my post above, I think he's not leaving because he's afraid to break things off with her lest she key his car or slash his tires or stalk him or something.  I think he's that afraid of her that he is afraid to do anything that might arouse her ire.  We have seen how volatile she can be and I don't blame him for being afraid.  I worry about him after decision day because he is going to have to face that fear and just end it for once and for all.

• Love 4