Type keyword(s) to search

S41.E05:The Strategist or the Loyalist

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 10/21/2021 at 5:44 AM, violet and green said:

God, I want to lie face down on the sand and thump the ground while chewing sand. Yet another rerun of some trusting goof finding an advantage and racing to tell the people who really don't need to know that - cue, 'Genie, NOOOOO!'

There is really only Naseer and Xander left who I find likeable, and I guess Erika...

But never mind, more convoluted advantages! Too many guys on nose beers cooked up this season's 'twists'. It's unbearable.

Watching Shan and Ricard get blindsided at some point will be the only way enduring all of this will be pleasurable, I think. Particularly Shan.

I think we just found a sentence that could be used for one of next season's three person immunity clues!! And if they actually had the speakers act out their lines...!!!.

• LOL 11

What I find strange about Survivor wanted to be more inclusive is that the show has always been that.  Starting with the first season 's winner, there has been a diversity of winners throughout.  I do roll my eyes at the wokeness of the show now and think about something I never thought about when talking about Survivor..............the End of the series.

I could never be on Survivor because I wouldn't play by the "rules".  I think that the producers tell contestants to tell others that they have found idols.  I'm sure there have been many contestants who have the same strategy:  Do not tell anyone you have found an idol!  I think the producers figured the show would be dull if everyone that found an idol kept it a secret.  That has to be the reason...right?

I'm on the Team Danny.  He seems like the most trustworthy player right now.

I'm definitely rooting against Ricard, Shan and Liana

Another woke moment made my eyes roll when Shan and Liana were talking about making a pact because black women should stick together.  Just imagine if Sidney and Tiffany had made a pact because they're white women?  The show would've been canceled the next day!  The show could've edited Shan's and Liana's "black women" comment out.  The show shouldn't be about race.

I hope when this series finally comes to an end, the last season will go back to its "roots" and make it fun again. 

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, rr2911 said:

What I find strange about Survivor wanted to be more inclusive is that the show has always been that.  Starting with the first season 's winner, there has been a diversity of winners throughout.  I do roll my eyes at the wokeness of the show now and think about something I never thought about when talking about Survivor..............the End of the series.

I could never be on Survivor because I wouldn't play by the "rules".  I think that the producers tell contestants to tell others that they have found idols.  I'm sure there have been many contestants who have the same strategy:  Do not tell anyone you have found an idol!  I think the producers figured the show would be dull if everyone that found an idol kept it a secret.  That has to be the reason...right?

Another woke moment made my eyes roll when Shan and Liana were talking about making a pact because black women should stick together.  Just imagine if Sidney and Tiffany had made a pact because they're white women?  The show would've been canceled the next day!  The show could've edited Shan's and Liana's "black women" comment out.  The show shouldn't be about race.

I hope when this series finally comes to an end, the last season will go back to its "roots" and make it fun again. 

I disagree that the show has always been diverse.  For the early years the cast was always seemingly everyone white but for one token black male and one token black female.  Occasionally a token Hispanic or Asian. 

As for winners, of the 40 seasons, 21 have been won by white males and 11 by white females.  Only one Asian male has ever won (Yul) and two have made it to the finals (Woo, Tai).  No Hispanic male has ever won (Ozzy in finals once).  Only one Hispanic female has won (Sandra, twice).  Black males seem to do ok (three wins, several others in finals) but only one black female has ever won and that was all the way back in Season 4.  Four have made it to the finals where three of them (Cassandra, Tasha and Laurel) were deemed non-entities and got zero votes and the only one who got votes (Sabrina Thompson) lost the fan voting for the Cambodia season.  Natalie Anderson (Sri Lankan) won once and was runner up once, but no East Asian woman has ever won and only one has ever gotten to the finals.

I did find it interesting that Shan and Lianna were talking about how "women of colour" need to stick together.  I wonder if this has ever happened before in Survivor and if we just didn't see it.  I know that the one season where there were three Asian women (Mari, Lucy, and somebody else), they seemed to decidedly NOT work together.  There were two on the same tribe.  They were three of the first four boots and whoever was last actually seemed to be proud of the fact that she was "the last Asian standing".

As much as I despise Shan, I don't think there is anything wrong with Shan and Lianna wanting to see each other succeed, especially given the track record of black women on this show.  People still think that Vecepia didn't deserve to win.  The ones that made it to the final all seem to be viewed as coattail riders who did absolutely nothing, hence the lack of votes to win.  And too often, they are viewed as angry and unstable and bossy (Ghandia, Natalie Cole).

I do appreciate the increased diversity, I'm curious to see if it affects gameplay.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 10/21/2021 at 12:14 PM, 30 Helens said:

Please allow me to clarify that I was not complaining about actual diversity, or saying that diversity is the reason I’m not enjoying this cast. I was joking that the casting department selected a group of disparately unlikeable people because they misunderstood the definition of diversity. A joke that, apparently, did not land. (In summary: Diversity is good!)

I don't think they misunderstood the definition - now it seems to be all about race, skin color or sexual orientation.  Which they have covered here.  But the fact is no matter how superficially "diverse" they are - you still have the same type of people - some are annoying, some are stupid, some are smart, some are likable, etc.

On 10/22/2021 at 2:00 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Shan doesn't bug me the way she bugs some. Yes, she's being underhanded and devious, but so what? It's a game. I find Ricard's unearned arrogance way more off-putting.

I don't mind her playing the game in her way - she bugs me because she tried to assign herself a theme song - and she bugs me even more (even though it's not really her fault) that production went for it! 😄

• Love 3
On 10/25/2021 at 4:32 PM, rr2911 said:

I think you are overstating the impact of how people might respond. It's been a regular feature in every season I've watched (probably somewhere in the area of 5-7) that people have explicitly formed alliances on gender lines, or worried about them. They rarely had to explicitly say "let's bond as white women or white men," because often that part was implicit when they were bonding as "women" or "men."  There weren't too many seasons where people could try the "let's stick together as people of color" strategy for long because other than the Race Wars season, there probably were not enough people of color cast and put in proximity for that to even be a viable strategy.

It seems to me, and other viewers, and even some of the players, that there was always an undercurrent of race being an issue. A lot of the early boots are, to my understanding, people of color or older people. 

If a white player said, "We've got to stick together as white people," I wouldn't fault the show for what that person said, call for it to be cancelled, or anything like that. I would probably judge that individual player harshly and root against them. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

If a white player said, "We've got to stick together as white people," I wouldn't fault the show for what that person said, call for it to be cancelled, or anything like that. I would probably judge that individual player harshly and root against them

I guess that's why I'm rooting against the black alliance, for the reason you stated above.

That the blue guys still talk about throwing the immunity challange really grinds my gears. That never works out and them even considering it shows me that they know nothing about survivor.

I really hope for Naseer to go far now, for being the voice of reason and shutting that bullshit down.

Edited by PurpleTentacle