Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E06: Grease Night

• Start Topic

Iman Cody or Kenya should have went before Mel C. I was shocked by the bottom two but i knew there was no way they were going to eliminate Olivia and Val. 

I kind of loved that Jive bye The Miz and Witney.

Cody does nothing for me. I've watched this show since season 1, and as much as i love Cheryl, she isnt well, and because she isnt well she isnt doing him any favors. Time for them to go. 

• Love 9

I was bummed to see Mel leave over Olivia. I don't think Olivia should have been on the show. I think it is rewarding her entire families bad behavior and I really don't like the "influencers" on YouTube and other social media sites. I get that they exist, and that they have always existed in some form, but I think that allowing a rich, privileged, kid who has done nothing to earn their job other then be born to the right parents be rewarded for crappy behavior because the shill clothes or make up is ridiculous.

So yeah, I would have preferred Olivia go because I don't see her as having a good reason for being a "celebrity" in the first place. I might not be a fan of the type of music, or TV Show, or watch the NBA but at least the other people on the show have done something that required a degree of tenacity and effort in order to achieve their positions.

I think Cheryl and Cody have no chemistry and that is a huge problem. I don't think they were a good match before COVID and I don't think that any of the COVID stuff is going away. Cody's Peloton base is solid and is not going any where. The more the base thinks that Cody is being treated unfairly, perceived or otherwise, the more rabid they will become. And Cherly's performances of late are not helping the case. I think he is the least successful in the competition of the remaining men and should be at the bottom but that is not going to change crap. Voting announcements are being made on all the Peloton groups and sites and people are happily texting in their votes.

I think Miz and Jimmy are my favorites. They are improving each week, they are enjoying themselves, and they are not natural dancers. JoJo and Amanda have an advantage because of their backgrounds, which is fine, but they are not nearly as fun to watch. Melora doesn't excite me the way she does others. I don't see the same level of enjoyment for her as I do in Jimmy and Miz.

Iman is fine but he is not great and he is not going to get much better. His height is a disadvantage with this form, and not just because of the difference in height. He is not going to have the same level of precision with his footwork because his feet are so much bigger. He is working had and seems to be enjoying him self but he is never going to have the fluidity that the others can achieve.

• Love 10

I had to laugh at Olivia's comment about Grease being her favorite and watching it on repeat as a child. I certainly hope it was the ABC Family edited version. People forget that the unedited is a bit racy at times. The words to Greased Lightning? Yikes!

Side comment: when my son was in fifth grade, I helped chaperone a class bus trip to Chicago. The bus had a VCR with multiple screens so passengers could watch a movie. A TEACHER popped in Grease. My comment, "The unedited version? We could get some parental phone calls on this." Sure enough, when the Rizzo-Kenicke-broken-condom-in-the-back-seat-of-the-car scene came on, I said to the teacher seated in front by the VCR, "Stop the tape. STOP THE TAPE." She looked up and panicked and couldn't get the tape to stop fast enough. 

I saw the Broadway show with my Nana in the late 70's. Even RACIER.

Topic: I adored Jojo and Jenna this week. I knew as soon as they were done, "Here comes the 40," and I'm not even mad about it. 

I think we're at the point where the really shitty dancers are gone. Yes, Iman is probably who should go next, but he has such a likability that he gets votes. I do think that Olivia has too much negativity around her, because the scandal wasn't that long ago. She's seen as an entitled, spoiled rich girl. It's hard to vote for that, so I wasn't all that shocked to see her in the bottom two. 

Yeah, I liked Mike this week. I really hate calling him The Miz. 

I want Suni to do well, but she's still missing that personality factor. She's so quiet and serious. Yeah, not everyone can be Laurie Hernandez, and it would be weird to see Suni suddenly morph into that. It looks like Sasha is trying to bring some kind of spark out of her. 

Len was always going to pick Olivia to stay. And I think it's the Val factor. With Derek no longer dancing on the show, Val is the popular alpha male. Without Val, the other male pros all blend in with each other. Val, Maks, Derek and Mark all were popular enough to have their own fan base who would vote for them no matter who their partners are. They want to keep those fans happy because the show needs ratings.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4
On 10/19/2021 at 10:28 AM, ProfCrash said:

I was bummed to see Mel leave over Olivia. I don't think Olivia should have been on the show. I think it is rewarding her entire families bad behavior and I really don't like the "influencers" on YouTube and other social media sites. I get that they exist, and that they have always existed in some form, but I think that allowing a rich, privileged, kid who has done nothing to earn their job other then be born to the right parents be rewarded for crappy behavior because the shill clothes or make up is ridiculous.

So yeah, I would have preferred Olivia go because I don't see her as having a good reason for being a "celebrity" in the first place. I might not be a fan of the type of music, or TV Show, or watch the NBA but at least the other people on the show have done something that required a degree of tenacity and effort in order to achieve their positions.

I completely agree.

Olivia should have never been on the show much less have stayed last night.

Edited by Rightside
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Umm… I’m pretty sure my son would hate me if I paid his way into college, and he would never go along with it.

I agree that no one is perfect, but this show could have some standards. I didn’t have a problem with Bones or Palin, except that they were crap dancers. Now Tonya Harding was a different story. Is it that much to ask that racists and cheaters and criminals be kept off this show?

Of course I’d be a sucker for a good redemption story. Maybe someone who got sober or did hard time in prison and turned their life around. An no, I don’t mean someone who went to a country club prison like Olivia’s parents for a couple of days.

She went along with it, actually posing for rowing pictures, so she was an accomplice.   Glad she was bottom two.   

Show was blacked out her because of Buffalo football game and I didn’t think to switch my recording to the Canadian channel. Oh, well.  Off to YouTube. 

• Love 4

Well at least I know these songs. I couldn't say the same for Britney week. Unfortunately, too many of them just didn't fit the dance styles. That was particularly true for a Foxtrot set to Summer Nights. And the cover for Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee was god-awful. And apparently they're not allowed to say "fongool" on network TV. Go figure.

Greased Lightning, on the other hand, really does lend itself to a Jive.

Have they always put captions under the judges telling us who they are and what their credentials are? I just noticed it for the first time tonight.

You know, as much as I miss Tom Bergeron and dislike Tyra, I really don't miss the redundant second interviews up in the skybox. Getting the score right there on the dance floor is much more efficient and cuts out a lot of time-filler.

I would have been wiling to swear Frankie Avalon had died. Shows what I know. He still sounds great.

Did Suni get her braces off? I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing. She looks like a pro to me.

Who the hell is voting for Iman? Is there really a big crossover between NBA fans and Dancing With the Stars fans? He was terrible this week - bad posture and really stompy.

I still feel like the judges are overly influenced by the weepy intro packages, or at least feel obligated to be kinder after watching someone cry about their dead grandma or whatever.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Honestly, same, I felt like it was the right call. Mel deserved better, I felt bad for her when she was having her “vulnerable moment” and Gleb just stared at her because he has the emotional depth of a teaspoon.

Val and Olivia’s dances have been more entertaining on the merits.

I thought the same about Gleb just staring and not knowing what to say.  Mel would have been better with a different pro since she was in her head too much and it showed in her face when she performed.  Compare to Melora who also was unsure the first two weeks.  Something clicked and Melora is enjoying herself and playing each character perfectly.  That makes her dances more enjoyable. 

I also would have picked Val and Olivia if I was judging purely by their dances.  I prefer Mel and don't like rewarding Olivia for bad behavior but it was the right call.

From the beginning, the women overall are technically better than the men.  But the men in general are better at acting out the characters.  Amanda, after a decent Cruella performance, is back to being boring even though her legs, flexibility, and technicality are superb.  I also didn't think Suni would capture Cha Cha's fierce personality.  I did enjoy her dance though since that was a fast paced dance which she executed really well.

Kenya was so sexy in her rumba.  By far, her best dance.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Umm… I’m pretty sure my son would hate me if I paid his way into college, and he would never go along with it.

I agree that no one is perfect, but this show could have some standards. I didn’t have a problem with Bones or Palin, except that they were crap dancers. Now Tonya Harding was a different story. Is it that much to ask that racists and cheaters and criminals be kept off this show?

Of course I’d be a sucker for a good redemption story. Maybe someone who got sober or did hard time in prison and turned their life around. An no, I don’t mean someone who went to a country club prison like Olivia’s parents for a couple of days.

I mean this with sincerity, that's great for you. You taught him right. Not everyone has parents who guide them the right away. People aren't always born knowing right from wrong. Young kids made mistakes. People act like Olivia murdered a bunch of people - she didn't. People point out she took pictures for that rowing video or whatever, so what. Her parents might have forced or into it or convinced her it wasn't a big deal. 

To me, it depends on what kind of criminal you're talking about and how remorseful they are. Being a criminal doesn't necessarily mean you need to be shunned from society forever. You may not like that they went to "a country club prison" but they did the crime and they did the time. And, Olivia is not her parents. 

4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Again, since when does this show care about what kind of celebrity the person is? This is not a show asking to see the contestant's GPAs and qualifications. Cody is a freaking Peloton instructor. How does that in any way make him a celebrity? I don't know Kenya's history, so I could be completely off about this, but isn't she a Real Housewife? What tenacity and effort did she do to earn her place? Mostly, it's beside the point anyway. The show is called Dancing with the Stars not Dancing with the Hardest Working Stars in Showbiz.

4 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I had to laugh at Olivia's comment about Grease being her favorite and watching it on repeat as a child. I certainly hope it was the ABC Family edited version. People forget that the unedited is a bit racy at times. The words to Greased Lightning? Yikes!

I related to Olivia's comment a lot, because the first time I saw Grease was when I was waaay young (the first few times was in syndication - but not ABC Family - and then we saw the regular version) and my family watched the movie repeatedly. I saw it so often I pretty much got sick of it and haven't watched it in years. So, I honestly have no idea what is so dirty about the song "Greased Lightning." Whatever the lyrics are probably went way over my head.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
20 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

So, I honestly have no idea what is so dirty about the song "Greased Lightning." Whatever the lyrics are probably went way over my head.

It's about sex and he says the "p" word in it. I doubt a kid would get it, though. I loved it when I was a kid because I was an ONJ stan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Everything racy about the movie went entirely over my head when I was a kid, and I'm sure that's why my mom had no problem with me singing along to all of the songs and having the CD. During the Rizzo/sleepover version of Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee when the lyrics were "...won't go to bed 'til I'm legally wed," seven-year-old me just thought man, Sandy's going to be tired.

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Everything racy about the movie went entirely over my head when I was a kid, and I'm sure that's why my mom had no problem with me singing along to all of the songs and having the CD. During the Rizzo/sleepover version of Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee when the lyrics were "...won't go to bed 'til I'm legally wed," seven-year-old me just thought man, Sandy's going to be tired.

Same here :p. And when I did ask if we saw the movie on some channel that edited stuff, my mom just explained what they'd said/meant with certain lines and such (in an age-appropriate way) and that was that. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

Again, since when does this show care about what kind of celebrity the person is? This is not a show asking to see the contestant's GPAs and qualifications. Cody is a freaking Peloton instructor. How does that in any way make him a celebrity? I don't know Kenya's history, so I could be completely off about this, but isn't she a Real Housewife? What tenacity and effort did she do to earn her place? Mostly, it's beside the point anyway. The show is called Dancing with the Stars not Dancing with the Hardest Working Stars in Showbiz.

That is a good point.... I haven't commented on Olivia because I haven't put much thought into it.  But yes, Peloton instructor?  Real Housewife?  Yep, great qualifications there :-)  I mean,  Olivia had a popular youtube channel, which they have had on before with other contestants on the show.  So it seems to fit the show's overall qualifications.

• Love 4

I don't have a problem with not knowing who the contestants are. Most of this cast, I'd never heard of before the show. My main complaint is with the way the show is formatted now, we don't really get to know anyone. They spend more time hyping Disneyland, Tyra and her clothes, etc., then spending time interviewing the dancers. I was intrigued when Amanda said she was an honor student in school. I wouldn't have guessed with the way they portray her. If she's a geek, why not show that side of her? My favorite contestant of all time was Gilles Marini, whom I'd never heard of that season, but he ended up being great.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't have a problem with not knowing who the contestants are. Most of this cast, I'd never heard of before the show. My main complaint is with the way the show is formatted now, we don't really get to know anyone. They spend more time hyping Disneyland, Tyra and her clothes, etc., then spending time interviewing the dancers. 

It might be a concession to Covid rules, which I totally understand, but they don't seem to show that much of the rehearsals anymore either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Love the way the band awkwardly worked around some of the lyrics in that "Greased Lightning" song :p.

My kids and their friends were OBSESSED with this movie when they were young. Like it was on constant repeat.   ChicksDigScars, I remember going to the video store at the mall YEARS ago and they were playing Grease with the closed captioning in the window. I saw the actual lyrics to "Greased Lightning" at that time and was horrified.  

Fun fact - gymnastics is an ANAEROBIC sport - meaning it relies on short bursts of energy and not sustained aerobic capacity.  

I'm still Team Suni - I see her growing each week.  It's got to be a challenge to get such a reserved personality to open up like a Laurie Hernandez. 

For some reason, I really like Iman.  He tries SO hard and he has an elegance that's hard to convey in a very tall individual.  

A pox on you, Len. Sending Mel home was a terrible thing. Of course, Mel will ALWAYS be a Spice Girl but at least she got her notoriety from hard work and talent. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Fun fact - gymnastics is an ANAEROBIC sport - meaning it relies on short bursts of energy and not sustained aerobic capacity.  

I was thinking about that. Even the floor exercise has those little pauses built into it to set herself up for the tumbling runs. And the dance moves in between are a very different kind of dancing.

8 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I'm still Team Suni - I see her growing each week.  It's got to be a challenge to get such a reserved personality to open up like a Laurie Hernandez. 

I feel for her; I'm a shy introvert so I'm super impressed that she's got the guts to even go out there. I certainly wouldn't.

• Love 6

Finally starting to watch…Tyra as Sandy in the opening…no words.  

And is it just me or is Olivia Jade’s face just too smooth…dipping into the Botox and fillers early.  

The Miz isn’t great but he has so much fun and tries really hard.   Suni just isn’t cut out for this.  She wasn’t feeling the choreography and Sasha kept so much of the iconic moves…

And Jojo and Jenna rocked it.  A deserved 40.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 2

I didn't know if I'd watch tonight or not but it's Grease and, after I saw that Didi Conn was going to be on, I had to do it.  She's always a treat!  Years ago, her dad was my therapist and he gave me some Grease memorabilia and a little inside poop from the group as well.  Fun Fact:  Didi was supposed to sing the title song in You Light Up My Life, but Debby Boone was dating somebody involved in the production who wanted her to sing it and Didi didn't make a fuss about it.  Which unfortunately gave rise to the rumor that she couldn't sing,  (She could and, even after a lifetime of musicals on stage, that story persists).

All of his kids are quite successful* in their respective fields and he talked about them a lot.  How many other people get to hear a world acclaimed opera singer sing Happy Birthday to his dad on speaker phone because he called during their appointment???

Oh, yeah, the show...  I spoiled myself last night because I'm not that invested in who stays or who goes, but I thought wow, Olivia gets all 9s and still winds up in bottom two?  That might be the highest score since Christina Milian was a shocking boot way back when.  She doesn't bother me as much as she does some (although I have an irrational dislike for women who use their middle names as their last name), but I really would have preferred Mel C to stay. 

I'm not sorry that BAG is gone, but Sharna would have made a great Cha Cha Di Gregorio (with BAG as Craterface).

Edited by Sile
successful, not successive
  • Love 2

And not to be snarky, but Cheryl's not looking good in her outfit either. She's looking lumpy bottom down.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:56 PM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, I don't want to be mean, but that is not a flattering look on Cheryl.

Well, I don't care how I'm perceived, but I wondered during certain profile angles if she might be pregnant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, sd dude said:

Well, I don't care how I'm perceived, but I wondered during certain profile angles if she might be pregnant.

I don’t think she looks bad at all. I assumed that she may have gained weight while struggling with the show and  her sobriety.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This is a hard year for the excellent reason that everyone's doing a great job. 

I think Iman should be next in terms of pure ability, but I won't be surprised if he's not. 

Suni is still underperforming to me. Her execution of the choreography is always great, but I never feel it in her face. I thought this was her closest to the breakthrough I want. I wish Sasha had danced down a tad because this was so in his wheelhouse, but not really Suni's. I felt he made her look a bit underpowered even though she was giving a lot of energy.

The Miz, Kenya, Melora, and Olivia, on the other hand, had dances that were perfect for them. The Miz had amazing energy and that move that looked like he jumped onto Witney was brilliant. Kenya oozed and slithered with perfect sultriness. Melora's a perfect fun movie Mean Girl. Olivia was cute as a button, with very fun choreography.

Amanda's Beauty School Dropout had gorgeous dancing, but I was very confused by her smile. Isn't Frenchie sad in this song?

JoJo danced angst! I couldn't believe her at the beginning! High-energy, caffeine in human form JoJo was moody, depressed Sandra. She's showing a depth that I never expected, and Jenna is rocking it with the choreography and characterization. Also, no matchy-matchy dresses always makes me happy.

• Love 7
On 10/19/2021 at 3:41 AM, anonymiss said:

Btw, if any of you have seen Olivia on Jada Pinkett's Red Table Talk months ago she was forthright about what happened and FFS I don't need my entertainers to be flawless human beings. Show business is notorious for the stars being nothing like you'd expect behind the scenes. She was born into immense privilege and was a  **kid** doing what they are used to doing: going along with their parents who say they know best for them. They're powerful and successful parents they look up to, bankrolling their whole lives, so as a kid I'm sure it'd be rare for most in this position to defy. She is legitimately popular with her own channel prior to the incident so she's definitely an entertainer and celeb in this new digital age. 

Exactly. I watched her channel before the scandal an I liked her. Her channel was like a parody of the “I actually have a way normal life for a teenage girl” scene from Clueless…except not a parody and totally serious…but she’s likable and I got some good makeup tips from her that I’m grateful for. 

I most look forward to watching Olivia, Melora, JoJo, Jimmie, and Amanda (though she’s more forgettable than I would have thought). JoJo needs to finesse her energy levels and style, but this week’s was impressive. The Miz is good too and Iman has had some endearing moments but I agreed with the judge who said this week’s style wasn’t for him. Kenya was very good tonight. Won’t miss Mel C, though would have much preferred Cody to go. 

Edited by Evangeline
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Well at least I know these songs. I couldn't say the same for Britney week. Unfortunately, too many of them just didn't fit the dance styles. That was particularly true for a Foxtrot set to Summer Nights. And the cover for Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee was god-awful. And apparently they're not allowed to say "fongool" on network TV. Go figure.

Greased Lightning, on the other hand, really does lend itself to a Jive.

Have they always put captions under the judges telling us who they are and what their credentials are? I just noticed it for the first time tonight.

You know, as much as I miss Tom Bergeron and dislike Tyra, I really don't miss the redundant second interviews up in the skybox. Getting the score right there on the dance floor is much more efficient and cuts out a lot of time-filler.

I would have been wiling to swear Frankie Avalon had died. Shows what I know. He still sounds great.

Did Suni get her braces off? I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing. She looks like a pro to me.

Who the hell is voting for Iman? Is there really a big crossover between NBA fans and Dancing With the Stars fans? He was terrible this week - bad posture and really stompy.

I still feel like the judges are overly influenced by the weepy intro packages, or at least feel obligated to be kinder after watching someone cry about their dead grandma or whatever.

I take it you're not Italian! Google "fongool/fungool." You'll  learn the reason. 🤫

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3
On 10/18/2021 at 9:01 PM, Fostersmom said:

Oh Suni, I see you getting knocked for this. She's missing his energy. 

Yeah, Sasha really stood out in this dance, he has such an infectious energy but Suni isn't absorbing any of it and it makes her look dull in comparison. I also don't find her that technically impressive, especially up against this field. Her movements aren't all that fluid.

In a less talented group with more duds, I'd be willing to root for her to grow and develop into a performer, but I really like most of the remaining contestants and so many of them are either really good or really entertaining, so I'm hoping Suni goes next. 

OK, when the season started, I rolled my eyes at Miz cause I just wasn't crazy about a wrestler, but after tonight, I'd be OK with him winning.  The dance was great, and he's a total softy about his wife!  Loved it!

I was never a Miz (or Mike) fan from his RW and Challenge days, he seemed like a giant dork with his wrestling aspirations and like he could definitely be an asshole at times. But good on him for making those dreams a reality and he really is enjoyable on this show. 

While that dance wasn't perfect, he was selling the hell out of it and clearly having a blast. On a show designed for non-dancers to get out there and do their best at learning new things, it's actually what the show should be. But this season has so many trained dancers that his lack of technique ends up being more evident and resulting in lower scores. But in the true spirit of the show, he is doing great.

Same with Jimmie, he is always trying his hardest and selling the performances. And his singing along with all the songs makes me laugh every week. I felt like some allowance should have been made for the conditions during their dance, the floor being slippery was dangerous for both of them, but especially Emma, whose livelihood depends on her ability to dance. 

I also like Iman a lot for similar reasons, he's got the deck stacked against him with his height, but he's really trying. 

I also would have picked Val and Olivia if I was judging purely by their dances.  I prefer Mel and don't like rewarding Olivia for bad behavior but it was the right call.

Yeah, I agree. I actually kept forgetting Mel C was there and wasn't really connecting with her performances. I was never a Spice Girls fan (they came about in my high school years and I wasn't into the whole phenomenon and truly didn't realize that women looked up to them. I thought it was just another cheesy pop group), so I don't have any lingering affection from that, and while she was good, it just wasn't enough to capture my attention. Another person who might have been a standout in a weaker season, but with so many good people, the field is too strong. 

Against my will, Olivia has kind of grown on me. I hate the idea of her, the overwhelming privilege that gave her her platform and the fact that if not for the scandal, she probably wouldn't have been on the show's radar. But as a person, she seems kind of sweet and she does dance very well. 

Jojo is very good and while I never heard of her before this, she has turned in many good performances. I'm still very unclear about the choice to have a female dance partner, of all the gay contestants and gay pros that have come through the show, this choice was never made, nor was it necessary. It's a dancing show, not a dating show, so I'm not sure why she felt the need to dance with a woman just because that's her sexual preference. But they do seem to have a nice relationship and they're dancing well, so whatever. I just don't want it to be the reason they win, if they win. It feels like an advantage to have a different makeup for one team vs all the others.

• Love 2

Hey, I just thought of something. On Idol and on previous seasons of DWTS they could manufacture 'shocking' bottom threes/bottom twos by sticking whoever they wanted down there so long as they kicked off the true lowest-vote getter. (The 'in no particular order'/'this is not necessarily the bottom two' phrases by Ryan/Tom.) Now that the Judge's Save is a thing where the judges (Len) have the final call of who to save/eliminate of the bottom two, they can't do that anymore. The bottom two has to be the legit bottom two.

Otherwise, what's to stop the producers from putting, say, The Miz, in the bottom two/judge's save position if he is becoming too popular in votes and they don't want him to possibly take out Amanda or Olivia Jade?

• Love 1

I have nothing against Olivia, first because it wasn't her who did the bad deed, it was her parents. Also, I hear nothing but blather from people raising their eyes heavenward, and proclaiming that it is a parent's sacred duty to do anything humanly possible to make their child's life better, so isn't that what her parents did? Enough of my opinion. here's a dance opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W77IPAQjauo

This is a clip that I wish so much, a pro would design a Paso Doble, using it as a guide. Mark Ballas or Derek could nail this! A choreo dream!

• Love 1

I don’t think she (Cheryl) looks bad at all. I assumed that she may have gained weight while struggling with the show and  her sobriety.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember reading years ago that Cheryl was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome which can cause weight gain and swelling (as well as acne and other unfortunate symptoms).

• Useful 3

I would be curious if the gay contestants are allowed to choose to dance with an opposite sex partner or same sex partner. I know JoJo is not the only LGBTQ contestant this season. 

I remember reading an interview with JoJo where she said the show gave her the choice. She decided it felt right to dance with a female partner. It all seems silly to me given that a dance partner is not a date and many, many gay ballroom dancers have competed with opposite-sex partners. But she and Jenna are working really well.

I do wish everyone was given the choice instead of just gay contestants. Some other contestants may prefer to dance in same-sex pairings if they had the option.

Who else is LGBTQ?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

I remember reading an interview with JoJo where she said the show gave her the choice. She decided it felt right to dance with a female partner. It all seems silly to me given that a dance partner is not a date and many, many gay ballroom dancers have competed with opposite-sex partners. But she and Jenna are working really well.

I do wish everyone was given the choice instead of just gay contestants. Some other contestants may prefer to dance in same-sex pairings if they had the option.

Who else is LGBTQ?

The caption on the camera shot of Cody Rigsby's cheering section was "Cody"s Boyfriend" so Cody is gay. If anyone else is, I don't know about it.

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Who else is LGBTQ?

Cody is Gay, I believe he lives with his boyfriend. He is pretty open with his status on his rides and the like. I was surprised to see Jojo with a female partner and Cody not dancing with a male. But they could have offered it to him and he choose not to?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think the hard part is going first.  I know there have been same sex partnerships in other versions of the show, but never in the US.   I would imagine there is some trepidation considering how vile some people were to Chaz Bono.   I think JoJo is the perfect trailblazer.   She has a devoted fan base and she is young herself.  She a sweet, not sexy, image.  She may be 18, but her image is younger and she and Jenna have avoided performances that are overtly sexual.  

• Love 6
On 10/19/2021 at 2:18 PM, LexieLily said:

I thought Kenickie's "25 cent insurance policy" out of his wallet, that he stopped mid makeout to grab... was a quarter.

Also, this one's funny, when Rizzo sees way too many dudes in the car, she said "what do ya think this is, a gang bang?!" I thought that meant there were too many people in a car. And I used the phrase to describe a car full of people. A lil five year old looking at 6 people coming out of a minivan and I proudly asked "What you think this is? A gang bang?" No one stopped me. Lol

On topic, I have decided to look at my phone when the host has the camera on her. Makes the show much more enjoyable. I think I'm rooting for Melora, but I am enjoying JoJo growing out of her bubblegum ribbon-bow unicorn phase.

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

In Season 6, episode 3, there was a novelty dance where Jonathan Roberts danced a tango with contestant Steve Guttenberg, who was partnered on the show with Jonathan's then-wife, Anna Trebunskaya. Tom introduced the dance as the "mango". Not exactly a serious treatment of a same-sex dance couple competing on an equal footing with the other mixed couples, but it's something.  On the other hand, since the dance was treated as a joke, up to and including them falling over each other at the end, and the requisite chest and fist bumps afterward to demonstrate that they are "regular guys" in spite of dancing together, perhaps it actually set the goal of same sex dance partnerships on the show back a few years, rather than advancing it.

Edited by sd dude
Found what I was looking for
  • Love 1

" I also didn't think Suni would capture Cha Cha's fierce personality. "

I thought it was a very odd choice - I barked out loud when she did the actual HMV move that Cha-Cha does in the dance and she made it look totally a-sexual.

Overall, I really enjoyed the dances (didn't see the show) and ignored the heinous covers.  I keep trying to think what other musicals everyone knows the words to all of the songs are.  West side story probably will be again in a few years depending on whether Spielberg effs it up or not.

• Love 1

I have always liked Melora Hardin in movies/shows I've seen her in, but for some reason I don't care for her on this show at all. I also don't think she's that good a dancer as the judges seem to think. 

Thinking back on pervious seasons, I think a lot of the contestants that have been the "Meloras" of their season have irritated me. 

18 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

" I also didn't think Suni would capture Cha Cha's fierce personality. "

I thought it was a very odd choice - I barked out loud when she did the actual HMV move that Cha-Cha does in the dance and she made it look totally a-sexual.

Overall, I really enjoyed the dances (didn't see the show) and ignored the heinous covers.  I keep trying to think what other musicals everyone knows the words to all of the songs are.  West side story probably will be again in a few years depending on whether Spielberg effs it up or not.

I'll always root for Suni and Sasha but she was too smiley.  Cha Cha would sneer and have a "I know I'm good" type of facials.

I think the original Footloose (didn't watch the version with Julianne Hough) has good music.  I think a lot of people also know Greatest Showman music.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I think the original Footloose (didn't watch the version with Julianne Hough) has good music.  I think a lot of people also know Greatest Showman music.  

Greatest Showman makes sense for the demo. The West Side Story suggestions could also work. Sound of Music, Hairspray, Moulin Rouge, Singin' in the Rain might work. They're recognizable songbooks from musicals that feature dancing.

ETA: There's also Dirty Dancing, essentially a "dance-ical".

Edited by RomanKat
  • Love 2