Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E06: Grease Night

• Start Topic

Just now, Annber03 said:

Damn, perfect store! Well done, ladies :). 

Wow Shocker the Top Production Pet gets the first Perfect score 🙄🙄. The one they decided from the get go was in the finals. The tongue bath is ridiculous 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Tyra changing into Sandy’s makeover outfit the moment Mel C is supposed to portray Sandy’s makeover moment is giving me the same energy as Alexis wearing a white ball gown to a wedding. 
Posing Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

What fresh hell is she wearing? She looks like she stole Mortica Addams's dress. 

And not to be snarky, but Cheryl's not looking good in her outfit either. She's looking lumpy bottom down. 

• Love 1

One camera keeps showing 2 women in the audience - both have very long, straight, blond hair. Anyone know who they are?

I don't want anyone going home... I enjoyed every dance tonight!

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

What fresh hell is she wearing? She looks like she stole Mortica Addams's dress. 

And not to be snarky, but Cheryl's not looking good in her outfit either. She's looking lumpy bottom down. 

It was 9:30 and I dared to hope we wouldn't be getting an outfit change for once...

Yeah, I don't want to be mean, but that is not a flattering look on Cheryl.

Is it just me or is the sound cutting out every so often?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I don't want anyone going home... I enjoyed every dance tonight!

Right? This is going to get tougher and tougher as the weeks go on.

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Nope, it's happening for me, too. 

I want Mel to stay :(!

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

It was 9:30 and I dared to hope we wouldn't be getting an outfit change for once...

Yeah, I don't want to be mean, but that is not a flattering look on Cheryl.

I think they are hitting the swear button.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

SHOCKER One of the Production Pets was saved by Len. I called it as soon as Olivia was put in Bottom 2. This is her "Redemption" the story isn't finished yet. I almost thought they were gonna save Jojo last to get her fanbase voting harder for their top pet 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'd keep Olivia and Val but mostly because I don't like Gleb.

Honestly, same, I felt like it was the right call. Mel deserved better, I felt bad for her when she was having her “vulnerable moment” and Gleb just stared at her because he has the emotional depth of a teaspoon.

Val and Olivia’s dances have been more entertaining on the merits.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

LMAO they are trying so hard to get rid of Cody and especially Iman, but they are going to make the finals.

Yay Kenya!

I’m so glad fake Olivia was on the bottom two. I don’t care how good she is. She can go next.

• Love 5

Sasha licking the whipped cream off his face during the judges critique was both disgusting and hilarious.

Having the plot of Grease slowly explained to me couple after couple was painful. It's a fairly iconic movie and most people know the plot. I really do wish they'd skipped over some of the better known numbers and used the whole soundtrack to match up songs and dance styles better.

Suni and Cheryl both looked like they were about to die by the end of their dances. I know why Cheryl is struggling but I don't get Suni. She's a young athlete. Is there no endurance training in gymnastics?

Tyra's "he's really singing live, I swear" about Frankie Avalon was borderline disrespectful. I know he's singing because unlike Tyra, his music career was successful. 

Losing Mel really, really hurts. She's lovely but Gleb does suck and he never gave her any wow moments. And in rehearsal, they had no connection because he can't make that happen. Hard to vote for a couple when one half is Gleb.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

Two of the finalists will be Olivia and Jojo I'm calling it. Gotta have Olivia's "redemption" in the finals and "History" in the finale

At least JoJo isn’t a loser. Mel C is a classy lady. She deserved to be saved over Olivia.

• Love 7

Oh, hey, Tyra?  Maybe if you’d stop catwalking onto the stage, asking bizarre questions (and really…”your grandmommy”!?), and announcing that you’re about to go change your “fashion”, you could stop cutting Len off at the end of the evening.  Ya think??

Edited by CraftyHazel
  • Love 18

Everyone was good. I couldn’t pick someone to go home based on dancing tonight. However, I would love to see Olivia get the boot because I think it’s BS that she’s here. We shouldn’t reward bad behavior and entitlement with more attention and validation. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

(and really…”your grandmommy”!?)

Ugh, I can't stand it. (I texted my friend "Is Tyra three?" after that line.)

Tyra, you are 47 years old, speaking to a 50yo woman. Stop referring to people's parents/grandparents like you're a preschooler.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Ugh, I can't stand it. (I texted my friend "Is Tyra three?" after that line.)

Tyra, you are 47 years old, speaking to a 50yo woman. Stop referring to people's parents/grandparents like you're a preschooler.

And if you'd really known Kenya for 'such a long time' like you claim, shouldn't you know that story about her grandmother?

• Love 10

Ugh, this is why I hate watching DWTS sometimes! Either my favorite makes it to the final and doesn’t win or gets eliminated too soon like Mel C. I’m not mad that Olivia stayed because I think she’s a good dancer, but how did a Spice Girl even get eliminated in the first place? She lacked confidence, but she was delivering great performances. It’s a shame we won’t get to see what could’ve been a breakthrough performance for her. 

I guess it came down to Gleb. He’s not very likable and frankly, I would’ve preferred a Mel and Val partnership instead. 

• Love 5

I feel like eliminations from here on out are going to get unpredictable. No one left is terrible terrible, and if the ratings are as low as I’ve heard, if someone’s fans don’t show up one week it could be easy for things to swing against them.

I’d personally like to see Cody go next, even with all the COVID drama I keep forgetting he’s still there. But I don’t think that will happen because his fans seem super wacky and determined. (I think I might like him better if his #boocrew spinning fanatics didn’t seem so cringy.) Then you’ve got Mike, Jimmie and Iman - all not the greatest dancers but fairly charismatic performers with pros who are good at choreographing around their weaknesses. All finals bait on this show. Amanda, Suni, and Olivia are all good dancers with unclear fanbases. Jojo seems pretty predictably in the finals but could end up in a shocking elimination? Hard to tell if her fans vote either. (Judges would probably save her though.) Kenya seems like a likely next out because she’s been in the bottom twice, but she had a good week this week. 

ETA: oh shoot, I forgot Melora. She’s also great, I kind of put her with Amanda in the good dancer with a likable pro category - a little better at emoting a character for TV. But I have no sense how that’s translating to votes.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Mike, Jimmie and Iman

I really really like them. Especially Inman. Maybe because he is so tall, but graceful. And his partner is so short. That should be good for 1 extra  point from each judge!

Edited by edie3
  • Love 3

First of all, I have to say that tonight's show was going to be hard for me before it even started. Grease is in my top five movies of all time if not the very top, not just movie musical; every song and dance I saw the corresponding scene from the movie in my head. I added in the Are you making fun of me, Rizz? and Sandy! / Tell me about it, stud. moments from Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee and You're The One That I Want respectively, and the band butchering all of these songs that I love was my worst nightmare. 

All of that being said, I thought some of the dances were cute :)).

So much for them not being able to do group numbers. I thought Cheryl and Cody getting sick would make the show more stringent about the rules, not less. Honestly, Cheryl/Cody need to be a mercy elimination next week if he's in the bottom two. She's obviously still sick and it's not good to watch her.

Aw, I love that they are going in movie-order of all the songs. (I don't know if I read it here or on Reddit but someone commented how DWTS missed a prime opportunity to give Olivia Jade Beauty School Dropout. :p.). My favorite part of the night had to be Sasha calmly licking off the whipped cream and eating it off his fingers all during judging. Hee.

I wasn't sure why The Miz was portraying Danny in Greased Lightening when that entire scene/dance is (supposed to be) Kenicke's spotlight, but it was a good dance nonetheless. Him and Jimmie are my favorites of the guys, and I knew nothing of wrestling or The Miz when this season started. 

Thank you so much for clarifying that Frankie Avalon was singing live, Tyra, but how uncool of you to basically say to all of America that he was old and doddering and imply that Emma had to slow down her choreography/their pace to keep up with him :/

"There wasn't much worse that you could have done with that dance." Uh, I know that was a wink-wink-nudge reference to the song title, but that wasn't a compliment, Len. Tyra can stop making things about her anytime now. If she really had known Kenya for 'such a long time' like she claimed, shouldn't she know that story about her grandmother?

Tyra looked predictably awful in the end-of-the-movie-era Sandy outfit and I spent a good chunk of the first part of the show trying to figure out what Tyra was supposed to be in the first outfit. Best I could tell, a cheerleader from the football game tailgate when Sandy first met Danny again at Rydell?

*Even if they hadn't name-plated Didi Conn I would have known exactly who she was as soon as she started talking to Amanda/Alan and JoJo/Jenna. Frenchie's voice is one of those recognizable ones. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Olivia should’ve been booted based on not being a celebrity. Sporty Spice goes home over her? What in the world Len? And this “Len gets to choose”nonsense, they better not be tied next week. 3 weeks of Len choosing means voting doesn’t matter.

Also, sorry Mel that you got stuck with Gleb, you couldn’t win anyway.

• Love 7

Honestly, both of Tyra's outfits sucked. Her first outfit was like Sandy channeling Britney Spears. No Tyra, cheerleader skirts in the 1950s were below the knees.

With that said, this was a great theme night, and they need to do other theme nights that revolve around musicals. My husband was commenting that there should be a West Side Story night. This was executed really well. I loved how they went in chronological order. 

The dancing was fantastic, but I have to say that I teared up when Frankie Avalon came out to sing Beauty School Dropout. I hadn't seen him in so long. What a treasure. 

It was also great to see Olivia Newton-John and Didi Conn too. 

I wasn't sure how the reprise was going to work out because, IIRC, it wasn't that long in the movie. But that did get me thinking that if Grease came out today, someone would write a fanfiction shipping Frenchie and Sandy. 

Some of the characterizations worked better than others. Kenya as Rizzo was absolutely perfect. Suni as Cha Cha...not as much. Especially since that Cha Cha more than any of the other females in the cast (aside from Rizzo) just looked too damn old to be a high school student.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Poor Mel had no chance with Gleb. A better partner and she'd still be here no doubt about it. People, including myself won't vote for Gleb though.

Good to see that Olivia's voting support is low, although I'm expecting a judges tongue bathing for her next week. Kenya had a nice moment and deserved to stay, but unless she goes up against Iman or Cody in the judges vote, she's gone next week.

Speaking of the judges, I'm assuming this "save" they supposedly have doesn't exist anymore or else surely they'd have used it tonight?

• Love 2

Wow. I had a feeling Mel C's fanbase wouldn't translate well because the American fanbase for her probably isn't as large as it is in the UK and elsewhere, but she has gone WAY too soon. I get WHY Olivia was saved over Mel C, but it doesn't mean I need to be happy or agree with it. Objectively, fine, Olivia was doing better with the dances. But personally, I can't with Olivia. She's getting rewarded from her parents buying her way into college with DWTS. I knew this was a redemption tour for her, and it's probably going to continue all the way to semis, at LEAST, if not straight into the finale. 

But hopefully, tonight was a strong hint that Olivia isn't getting the votes and that we'll see her in the bottom two again soon. 

I am glad Kenya didn't land in the bottom two, though, because tonight was a very strong night for her. I really liked her rumba with Brandon. I really think it deserved one point higher.

Melora is in the top spot to win for me. I know JoJo probably is winning, but Melora is just so good and she keeps getting better. I was really worried for her tonight once Kenya was saved, but I'm glad she's still keeping out of the bottom two. And luckily, if it's a split vote, Len is likely to save her over most.

Ok, I'm gonna say it, I actually really liked The Miz's dance and I think it was underscored. I think it deserved a 9 or two. 

JoJo's dance WAS really strong tonight. I do think they could have slowed down just a tad, because it felt a bit high energy (can you give some of that high energy to Suni, please?), but the dance was beautifully done. Jenna has stepped it up as a choreographer and as a teacher. Though, I guess it helps when she has a ringer like JoJo who already has enough dance experience to be able to pick up the moves better. 

Amanda's dance was very well done. But she has a similar issue as Suni's, in that both women don't quite connect with the dances. Amanda's dance was well done, but definitely agreeing with Derek that something was missing from it. Still, it was good to see her get recognized for her talent and not be middle of the pack in scores. 

Suni dropped again this week. She's so reserved and so low energy that it's detracting from the talent that she does have. She has so much potential with these dances but she's not connecting enough. I'm starting to get the feeling that she'll be a semi-finals boot, or get fourth place in the finals. 

Cody...continues to be there, I guess. He's starting to REALLY falter for me...I mean, more so than the last few weeks. This was the first full week him and Cheryl have had to practice and perform since week 1, and he didn't do that great of a job. I really think that his partnership with Cheryl will be his downfall. He clearly has the potential, but I really don't think Cheryl is bringing it out in him. Maybe because she's likely still sick, but that's no excuse, at this point. It's just a real shame, too, because Cody certainly is charismatic and can do better, but he just...isn't.

Jimmie is a delight. Iman...is getting better, but I feel like he probably should have gone this week, and should definitely go next week.

I'm gonna say it; Mel C got eliminated early partially because of Gleb. If she had a different partner, she would have made it farther. But he really held her back, even with having better choregraphy this season than in seasons' past.

• Love 10
46 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I’d personally like to see Cody go next, even with all the COVID drama I keep forgetting he’s still there. But I don’t think that will happen because his fans seem super wacky and determined. (I think I might like him better if his #boocrew spinning fanatics didn’t seem so cringy.) 

They dont seem cringy, they are cringy. I had to unfollow the group I was in because it feels like a cult at this point. It's too bad because Cody is great, it's just unfortunate that he attracts these kind of fans. I find it hard to root for him because of them. I imagine that most of the people on this show have a following to some degree like this though. 

I have always loved Grease, it started a life long love of John Travolta for me. It was so hard to listen to them butcher the songs like they did. I know the band there is pretty good but the songs sounded awful!

I'm heartbroken Mel C was sent home. It really sucks that this show is in its core a popularity contest. The Spice Girls were big but its been a while and she just wasn't getting the votes. 

I am hoping Miz stays for a while longer, he's so fun to watch and he has the most charming personality. He is someone that has some how made his very over the top enthusiasm for everything really work for him. 

Melora is the cutest!

• Love 5

STOP CALLING HIM JEMMIE! Stop announcing your damn costume changes! Barely anyone cares

4 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Tyra has only just now seen Grease? WTF. 

I can rag on Tyra about a lot, but not this. There are a lot of classic movies I haven't seen - Star Wars, The Godfather, Casablanca...

4 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

I'm betting on wanting him gone sadly. Probably don't want him potentially taking out one of their favs 

2 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Following his orders. Save a Production Pet. IF Jojo ends up in Bottom 2 it will be the same I bet. They have a Finals spot locked for her 

2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

LMAO they are trying so hard to get rid of Cody and especially Iman, but they are going to make the finals.

If this show were that concerned with saving production "pets" I would think they would have had Len save Matt James, a member of the ABC family. As for Cody, he had COVID and they bent over freaking backwards to keep him around. If they wanted that badly to get rid of him they didn't need to manipulate scores to do it since they had a perfectly good excuse.

I am seriously not seeing what others are seeing in Iman. I liked him his first week, but he's not been as good since, even last week. I've been watching this show since the beginning and there are still technical things I wouldn't be able to notice - like I couldn't point a heel lead if my life depended on it, but during Iman's Disney Heroes night dance, I was cringing because he was throwing his hands out and I kept thinking "pancake hands" and it was so hard to watch. Tonight, I thought his footwork was terrible. IMO he's getting the scores he's getting because he is leagues away the worst dancer left. I feel like Len tonight in that I know he's charismatic and is trying hard, but he needs ro go next.

1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

Olivia should’ve been booted based on not being a celebrity. Sporty Spice goes home over her? What in the world Len? And this “Len gets to choose”nonsense, they better not be tied next week. 3 weeks of Len choosing means voting doesn’t matter.

Also, sorry Mel that you got stuck with Gleb, you couldn’t win anyway.

1 hour ago, Emily-D said:

Poor Mel had no chance with Gleb. A better partner and she'd still be here no doubt about it. People, including myself won't vote for Gleb though.

Since when has the show been about the biggest celebrity needs to win or caring if someone is a "real" celebrity or not? Olivia is not the first YouTube star on this show. Derek had one (whose name I couldn't tell you in a million years and I haven't seen since) who made it to the finals. I think, just because of the scandal alone, is more famous than not only celebs in previous seasons, but in this season.

People keep saying that about Mel and Gleb. Gleb isn't one of my favorites, but I think he made it further than this with Chrishell last year and has been in the finals/semi-finals several times. I think Mel was just in a tough spot dancing-wise because IMO she was good, but nothing that really set her apart. As much as I liked a couple of her first dances, she would probably have been in my bottom two along with Iman.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Amanda's dance was very well done. But she has a similar issue as Suni's, in that both women don't quite connect with the dances. Amanda's dance was well done, but definitely agreeing with Derek that something was missing from it. Still, it was good to see her get recognized for her talent and not be middle of the pack in scores. 

Suni dropped again this week. She's so reserved and so low energy that it's detracting from the talent that she does have. She has so much potential with these dances but she's not connecting enough. I'm starting to get the feeling that she'll be a semi-finals boot, or get fourth place in the finals. 

I don't think Amanda has really been in the middle of the pack that often. The first few weeks she was either first, second, or tied for one of those positions. I think it's only been the last couple of eps, with Melora taking the lead and Olivia and Jojo continuing to do well, that she's been in the middle-ish. Other than that, I agree. She and Suni are technically good, but I feel nothing at all when I watch them dance. With Suni there are moments - and I don't think she's as stiff as Simone Biles - but she's a little inconsistent energy-wise.

• Love 9

This was my favorite theme week in a while, starting with the opening pro number and continuing through an evening of really good dances. Kenya seemed to have a breakthrough performance tonight and I was really glad to not see her in the bottom two. 

Two non-dancing highlights were (1) the cue card writer penning a succinct explanation of the final judges’ voting process and (2) how damn good Olivia Newton-John looked. 

Minor quibble/drinking game: Derek’s use of “man,” “dude,” “bro,” and “brother” with the male celebs. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I wasn't sure why The Miz was portraying Danny in Greased Lightening when that entire scene/dance is (supposed to be) Kenicke's spotlight, but it was a good dance nonetheless. Him and Jimmie are my favorites of the guys, and I knew nothing of wrestling or The Miz when this season started. 

In the stage musical it’s sung by Kenicke, but in the movie it’s sung by Danny.

The Miz is so enjoyable. He really throws himself into this.

Kenya looked GORGEOUS tonight, and really brought it in that dance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

My stomach is still in knots about these results. Both Mel C and Olivia are much more enjoyable than a couple others imo. I don't know who my faves are this season-- everyone is not bad--but these 2 couples are near my top. 

Btw, if any of you have seen Olivia on Jada Pinkett's Red Table Talk months ago she was forthright about what happened and FFS I don't need my entertainers to be flawless human beings. Show business is notorious for the stars being nothing like you'd expect behind the scenes. She was born into immense privilege and was a  **kid** doing what they are used to doing: going along with their parents who say they know best for them. They're powerful and successful parents they look up to, bankrolling their whole lives, so as a kid I'm sure it'd be rare for most in this position to defy. She is legitimately popular with her own channel prior to the incident so she's definitely an entertainer and celeb in this new digital age. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

Minor quibble/drinking game: Derek’s use of “man,” “dude,” “bro,” and “brother” with the male celebs. 

Lol, I like Derek, but I feel second hand embarrassment whenever he calls the male celebs these names during his critiques.

• Love 7

Umm… I’m pretty sure my son would hate me if I paid his way into college, and he would never go along with it.

I agree that no one is perfect, but this show could have some standards. I didn’t have a problem with Bones or Palin, except that they were crap dancers. Now Tonya Harding was a different story. Is it that much to ask that racists and cheaters and criminals be kept off this show?

Of course I’d be a sucker for a good redemption story. Maybe someone who got sober or did hard time in prison and turned their life around. An no, I don’t mean someone who went to a country club prison like Olivia’s parents for a couple of days.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 7