Type keyword(s) to search

Black Adam (2022)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

Streamed it from Amazon.  Was somewhat surprised at how lifeless it felt considering how "action-packed" it was.
It suffered from mediocre, bland writing: a patchwork of tropes, cliches, action-movie dialogue, etc. 

Black Adam and Hawkman seemed to fight so many times - with no consequences - that it felt as if you didn't need to pay much attention to the next round.  I don't recall Hawkman being so indestructible from the comics. 
Aldis Hodge as Hawkman sounded so much like his character from the TV show Leverage that it felt a bit lazy on the part of the director and actor.

On the plus side,  the scenery was somewhat interesting.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Like 2

In the commentary video for the Honest Trailer, the writers wondered why Dwayne got fixated on this particular role.  To me, it seems pretty simple- I think for some reason, he just wants to be in a movie where he beats Superman clean in a fight, and Black Adam is simply the character that gets the job done.  He can’t just be another hero like Shazam, because why would they fight Superman?  He can’t be a straight up villain either, because Superman would need to get that win back by the end.  However BA is a character that Superman would fight and could legitimately lose to - but is also enough of an antihero that they could still team up to fight someone else in act three.  I mean, that’s kind of what happened in this film anyway - just with the JSA.  I assume Dwayne thought this film would be big enough that they could save Superman for the sequel.  Maybe he should have just done it this time - but hindsight is 20/20…

• Like 3

I had super low expectations - the trailer seemed boring when I watched many months ago.  I only watched it because I have HBOMax.  I was pleasantly surprised and entertained for about 2/3 of the film.  However, by the time Ishmael was revealed as alive AGAIN, it really started to drag. Film could have ended with him (Black Adam) imprisoned, really, and wouldn't have lost anything. 

I agree with others on Pierce Brosnan - he was great.  

I completely disagree with others on Aldris Hodge - he was borderline terrible. And I didn't even get to see him shirtless! *boo*

I was familiar with Sarah Shahi from TV, and this is the first role where I liked a character she played.  

Dwayne Johnson wasn't bad, but the writing did him no favors.  

The Cavill cameo as Superman was bittersweet, given what we know now.  

All told, it was entertaining for a film I got to see from my comfy couch and no extra cost (I get HBOMax as part of my grandfathered AT&T Fiber service, so it's not a separate paid subscription).

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Like 1
On 10/25/2022 at 9:37 PM, thuganomics85 said:

New about the after credit scene going in, but the reveal was still pretty great.  Really hope Superman gets something worthy of him going forward.  Henry Cavill certainly isn't the problem, but he just needs some actual good material now.

As it is now looking like it will be the last appearance instead of hope for the future I am sad. Although it did remind me of a WWE Stone Cold and The Rock promo  

A few observations:  It seemed like DC was trying to create a little Black Panther type vibe, comparing the Kahndaq triangle signal with the Wakanda Forever arms crossed sign.  

It's interesting that the brought in Superman at the end, when Black Adam was originally Shazam's (Captain Marvel's) nemesis.  But it would be odd to bring in The Big Red Cheese, since the tone of the two movies were so drastically different.

The movie was about half a Justice Society movie, which is okay with me, because I love to see the old Golden Age superheroes (or their legacy versions).  At one time, if you would have told me I would be seeing various versions of the Justice Society on the TV and movie screens, I wouldn't have believed you.  The CGI they used for Dr. Fate's powers were an interesting contrast to how they depict Dr. Strange's powers, and was well done I think.

Overall an enjoyable movie, maybe not the homerun they were looking for.  I wasn't quite convinced with the "we need his darkness to do the things the heroes can't do" theme, or whatever it was.

• Like 1

More like they needed the power of the gods to do the things the heroes can't do. Hawkman wasn't exactly slow to swing that morning star and axe when he had a super-powered villain to square off against, he just wasn't strong enough to kill Sabbac with them.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 1

I wasn’t able to see this in the theatre and now I’m glad.

First: WHAT?!! Fonzie Henry Winkler in a cameo??! That brought a huge ass grin on my face! And I totally didn’t recognize Sarah Shahi! 

But I see that both Viola Davis and Henry Cavill’s appearances were uncredited.

Eh. Movie was just okay. But every word out of both Black Adam and Hawkman were the worst of clichés and cheesy.

Thank Goodness for Remington Steele Pierce Brosnan as Dr. Fate. Man still OOZES SEXUALITY and turns me into a pile of goo.

That said, my reaction to what happens to him: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Why?!!! Just why??!! STOOPID Smallville did the same thing! At least Oded Fehr’s Fate didn’t suffer the same fate, pardon the pun.

And FUCK WB because those 10 seconds of Cavill as Supes was EVERYTHING. And heartbreaking since I watched it after learning he won’t be back, because in those 10 seconds, he embodied the character and leader of the Justice League, and now I’ll never see him in his own movie again. They squandered a major opportunity. 

• Like 1
On 12/14/2022 at 12:11 AM, Chyromaniac said:

In the commentary video for the Honest Trailer, the writers wondered why Dwayne got fixated on this particular role.  To me, it seems pretty simple- I think for some reason, he just wants to be in a movie where he beats Superman clean in a fight, and Black Adam is simply the character that gets the job done.

I have to say, I feel vindicated.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dwayne-johnson-dc-exit-black-adam-superman-failed-plan-1235478867/

• Like 2

I'm glad it brought us a really good live action depiction of Dr. Fate (something I never dreamed I'd see), but I don't mind not seeing any more of Black Adam or his associated characters and story elements. My only regret is Cavill's Superman being thrown out with the bathwater.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I didn't like this much. I hate that every DC movie is another Suicide Squad, the first one was good, now drop it. I absolutely could not stand Hawkman! So oblivious to what the actual citizens wanted, and he ended up just being another Amamda Waller bully. I did like the Egyptian themes, and I liked some of the CGI. I won't rewatch this one, though.

• Applause 1

I wanted to like this movie but ultimately I think it's another entry in the "Wow, DC sure makes great trailers!" series. Black Adam the character was really bland and the supporting cast was alright but never more than the sum of its parts. The highlight for me was five seconds of Harcourt rocking that beautiful patent leather trenchcoat. Other than that it was an entirely forgettable movie where various characters travel all over the place and somehow never end up actually going anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1